Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

  1. #1
    Member tsm612's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Noblesville
    Posts
    426

    Default Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...ey=navddh_head

    Indy Star

    Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    Butler standout Gordon Hayward will work out for the Indiana Pacers on June 21, three days before the NBA Draft.

    The Pacers have the 10th pick.

    Hayward, who led Butler to the NCAAchampionship game and was the team's high scorer, is a projected lottery pick by some.
    He recently worked out with Golden State, which picks sixth, and Utah, which picks ninth.
    I would expect to see Aminu, Xavier Henry, Luke Babbitt, and Paul George at this workout as well.

  2. #2
    Member Placebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    32
    Posts
    357

    Default Re: Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    Only three days before the draft. This is really interesting.

    Is he really the guy?

  3. #3
    Release Psycho T pwee31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,171

    Default Re: Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    I posted this on the front page, probably didn't post it right though.

    3 days before would be interested. I don't think we'll pick at #10 and I don't think he's going to be the pick, so who knows.

    I know I'm very intrigued by the draft now

  4. #4
    Member tsm612's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Noblesville
    Posts
    426

    Default Re: Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I posted this on the front page, probably didn't post it right though.

    3 days before would be interested. I don't think we'll pick at #10 and I don't think he's going to be the pick, so who knows.

    I know I'm very intrigued by the draft now
    Whoops, sorry. I didn't see your post. This can be locked or merged then.

    Edit: Ok, I see. It's posted in the news thread Hicks started.
    Last edited by tsm612; 06-07-2010 at 10:38 PM.

  5. #5
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,450

    Default Re: Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    Wasn't Handbrough brought in 3 days before the draft?

    It makes sense, you take a look at the guys who have an outside chance to see if anyone peaks your interest enough to trade down, and you bring in your real prospects in the final week.

    Alot of you say Hayward is a bad pick because he is a SF but he can play the 2 just as well. He and Rush would compliment each other well as the SG rotation. The baby faced assassin scoring the points and Rush holding it down on the defensive end. Hayward would make a great 6th man.

  6. #6
    Member tsm612's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Noblesville
    Posts
    426

    Default Re: Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wasn't Handbrough brought in 3 days before the draft?

    It makes sense, you take a look at the guys who have an outside chance to see if anyone peaks your interest enough to trade down, and you bring in your real prospects in the final week.

    Alot of you say Hayward is a bad pick because he is a SF but he can play the 2 just as well. He and Rush would compliment each other well as the SG rotation. The baby faced assassin scoring the points and Rush holding it down on the defensive end. Hayward would make a great 6th man.
    If I was picking a shooting guard, I'd pick Xavier Henry, not Hayward.

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tsm612 For This Useful Post:


  8. #7
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,450

    Default Re: Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    Quote Originally Posted by tsm612 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I was picking a shooting guard, I'd pick Xavier Henry, not Hayward.
    True, but wouldn't you think Hayward is a bit more versatile than Henry?

    I do. If its BPA between Henry and Hayward, I'd take Hayward.

  9. #8
    Member tsm612's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Noblesville
    Posts
    426

    Default Re: Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    True, but wouldn't you think Hayward is a bit more versatile than Henry?

    I do. If its BPA between Henry and Hayward, I'd take Hayward.
    I disagree. I think Henry is versatile enough to play the 2 or 3 and has the size. He also happens to be a better shooter. I also think he would fit better next to Granger.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to tsm612 For This Useful Post:


  11. #9
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    Again, I feel really bad for whomever was complaining a month ago about too many Hayward threads.

    :snicker:
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  12. #10
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,450

    Default Re: Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Again, I feel really bad for whomever was complaining a month ago about too many Hayward threads.

    :snicker:
    Hey if they don't want to read the thread then they don't need to click on the link.

  13. #11
    '12 PD Sunshiner awardee Kemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A-Town , Indiana
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,989

    Default Re: Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    hmm , probably the Pacers F.O. wanted to take a quick personal look at him just to be sure .. before draft night
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

  14. #12
    Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lafayette IN
    Posts
    268

    Default Re: Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    definetely on top of Larry Bird's list
    Murph

  15. #13
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerPride33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    definetely on top of Larry Bird's list
    God, I hope not.

  16. #14

    Default Re: Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Again, I feel really bad for whomever was complaining a month ago about too many Hayward threads.

    :snicker:

    ME TOO!

    I'd take PAUL GEORGE over either Hayward or Henry.

  17. #15
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    I'm just interested to know who else is working out.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:


  19. #16

    Default Re: Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Alot of you say Hayward is a bad pick because he is a SF but he can play the 2 just as well. He and Rush would compliment each other well as the SG rotation. The baby faced assassin scoring the points and Rush holding it down on the defensive end. Hayward would make a great 6th man.

    Not trying to start an argument, I know you are a Hayward advocate, but I have not seen one thing published on Hoopshype or Realgm where any GM thinks Hayward is capable of playing SG. From what I've read, he's considered a SF with range only. Do you possibly have any info where GM's think he could be a SG? If so, I'd appreciate being able to read it to up grade my knowledge about Hayward. Thanks.

  20. #17
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,450

    Default Re: Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not trying to start an argument, I know you are a Hayward advocate, but I have not seen one thing published on Hoopshype or Realgm where any GM thinks Hayward is capable of playing SG. From what I've read, he's considered a SF with range only. Do you possibly have any info where GM's think he could be a SG? If so, I'd appreciate being able to read it to up grade my knowledge about Hayward. Thanks.
    Well he said it himself during his combine interview, said he can play the 2 or 3, whatever coach needs him to be. Infact if you watch his interview (youtube it) you'd probably walk away very impressed by the young man. A 20 year old old who is very mature mentally for his age. Compared to a guy like Bledsoe who couldn't even put together a complete sentence. Granted good grammar and the ability to speak about yourself doesn't make a great player but after listening to him speak about himself and his demeanor I get the feeling that he has got what it takes to be a great player.

    I'm sure Bird is thinking the same thing. He is exactly the type of player Bird looks for.

  21. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Beacontown High Beavers
    Posts
    322

    Default Re: Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not trying to start an argument, I know you are a Hayward advocate, but I have not seen one thing published on Hoopshype or Realgm where any GM thinks Hayward is capable of playing SG. From what I've read, he's considered a SF with range only. Do you possibly have any info where GM's think he could be a SG? If so, I'd appreciate being able to read it to up grade my knowledge about Hayward. Thanks.
    This is purely my opinion, and doesn't have anything to do with what a GM thinks, but I could see Hayward playing SG. When you think of Hayward, you have to think of Dunleavy. Hell, Dunleavy played SG, SF, and even PF last season. No sane coach would try Hayward at PF, so that's not a concern. Sure on the defensive end, he's going to really, really struggle (I have to think he will be much better defensively than Dun was this past season) to guard some of the quicker, more athletic SG's, but for spot minutes I could see him being effective. I don't think there is any question, he's going to be a better SF, but I think his length could be a real advantage, and he will be able to play either wing position effectively.

  22. #19
    Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Indy's North Side
    Posts
    1,540

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    Quote Originally Posted by Rupert Stilinski View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is purely my opinion, and doesn't have anything to do with what a GM thinks, but I could see Hayward playing SG. When you think of Hayward, you have to think of Dunleavy. Hell, Dunleavy played SG, SF, and even PF last season. No sane coach would try Hayward at PF, so that's not a concern. Sure on the defensive end, he's going to really, really struggle (I have to think he will be much better defensively than Dun was this past season) to guard some of the quicker, more athletic SG's, but for spot minutes I could see him being effective. I don't think there is any question, he's going to be a better SF, but I think his length could be a real advantage, and he will be able to play either wing position effectively.
    I've also heard he is still growing.
    If he adds another inch or two, he will be a very skilled big SF who could play some PF in a smallball style from time to time. It will take him a fewyrs to add the strength to compete there, but I do see him as a Dun clone, & Dun played all 3 spots at times - though SF is always his best fit, as it will be w/ GH.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

  23. #20
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,555

    Default Re: Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    Dun or Hayward shouldn't play 2 guard. They can't guard that position, at all, imo.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


  25. #21
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dun or Hayward shouldn't play 2 guard. They can't guard that position, at all, imo.
    At least Dunleavy can shoot.

  26. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Beacontown High Beavers
    Posts
    322

    Default Re: Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At least Dunleavy can shoot.
    Hayward is a better shooter than his percentage numbers from last season would indicate.

  27. #23
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,628

    Default Re: Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    Quote Originally Posted by tsm612 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree. I think Henry is versatile enough to play the 2 or 3 and has the size. He also happens to be a better shooter. I also think he would fit better next to Granger.
    I'm not even sold on Henry, especially coming out this year instead of next, and to me this isn't even a comparison. Henry has all the makings of an all-around athlete SG type. Hayward does not have near the arsenal of moves and defensive ability.

    Henry lacked a consistent shot early on and often disappeared in the Kansas offense, but he has shown an improved shot and KS was really a balanced team.


    BTW, this does have all the makings of a Alford freak out all over again.

  28. #24
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    Quote Originally Posted by Rupert Stilinski View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hayward is a better shooter than his percentage numbers from last season would indicate.
    Dunleavy was shooting with only one leg


    I just don't agree with the Dunleavy-Hayward comparison. I consider Dunleavy to be more of a pure perimeter player, while Hayward seems to be more geared towards driving to the hoop and trying to draw some contact.

  29. #25

    Default Re: Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21

    If we draft Hayward 10th after taking Hansbrough 13th last year, I'm concerned that we'll never get another not-desperate-to-play-anywhere-that-will-have-him black free agent.

    I'm not saying this just to be rash, this is a legitimate concern for me.

Similar Threads

  1. The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 09-02-2013, 05:30 PM
  2. Look back at Pacers Trades
    By Teddy Green in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-16-2009, 08:00 PM
  3. Mark Montieth: Pacers Q&A, 02/10/05
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 11:18 AM
  4. Keeping pace with the Pacers
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 11:58 PM
  5. Ben Gordon is who the Pacers really wanted
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-25-2004, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •