Thread: iPhone 4

Default iPhone 4

What's is everyone's thought on it?

I want one!

Default Re: iPhone 4

I'm all over it. Any tips on how to get it day one? If I pre-order on the 15th, does that promise me anything?

I have a 3G, so I'm now two gens behind, and this looks like it will be a sweet upgrade for me.

is there anyone here with a 3GS that will upgrade... I like my nokia to much but I'm curious as to whom would upgrade....

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've got a 3G. I know it's still on that God Forsaken at&t network, but I'll be pre-ordering and upgrading on the 24th.

As someone who used to manage a fleet of them, my only question is why in holy hell did they feel the need to put glass on both sides now? Just gonna be twice as easy to break.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As someone who used to manage a fleet of them, my only question is why in holy hell did they feel the need to put glass on both sides now? Just gonna be twice as easy to break.
    It's apparently some kind of special tempered glass that's pretty tough stuff (allegedly).

I'm not worried about it because I've never dropped my phone on a hard surface, but also because I've seen a plate of this being held in two places by a machine and being bent without cracking.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

being flexible is one thing, getting hit by a keychain/hard surface is another...no?

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

The glass is pretty amazing stuff.

Very high end. But let me tell you from experience, one grain of sand on your coffee table and one scoot across that grain of sand, and you'll have a scratch so deep and permanent that you'll want to throw the thing across the room.

I'm definitely getting the new one, and I'll likely be sending my 3Gs on to my inflatable robot "girlfriend".
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It pretty much just upgraded to stuff that the Droid already had back in November......

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    It pretty much just upgraded to stuff that the Droid already had back in November......
    How's the battery life on the Droid?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    How's the battery life on the Droid?
    Not as good. Also the new Retina display is best-in-class, and Apple's legendary level of polish continues to impress. That said, I'll probably still get an Android phone when my contract is up.

It's interesting to watch the market forces at work in the supersmartphone contest. Apple came out with the clear lead, and Android's early forays were substandard. But they've been adding features and polish like crazy, to the point where they've passed Apple in some areas and are catching up in others. There's a legit two-horse race going on between the phone operating systems right now.

It's not hard to say the overall lead is with Apple right now (as in, today), though some ardent Android fans will disagree. The more interesting thing is that Apple only updates once a year, while Android's rate of improvement is insane. The iPhone 3GS seemed like a huge step ahead of the Android equivalent, while the iPhone 4 seems like a small one. I'm curious where the market will be a year from now.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

is it iPhone 4 or iPhone 4g? I hear both names being referred to it but i haven't seen the "legit" name...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Battery life isn't as good but they are replaceable so you can buy a bigger one or carry two.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    is it iPhone 4 or iPhone 4g? I hear both names being referred to it but i haven't seen the "legit" name...
    It's just iPhone 4.

Mood

Right now I downloaded the GM build of the iOS 4 and it was jailbroken. I'm going to get a head start on this new OS and see if I really want to move onto an iPhone 4.

Mood

I was able to get the iOS 4 installed and jailbroken. I restored my contacts, photos, etc. The only way this can be done right now is by using a Mac. iTunes 9.2 Beta is required, and it's only out right now for Snow Leopard. The jailbreak only works on the 3G so I was in luck.

I enabled home screen wallpapers but not multi-tasking, due to battery life concerns and slowness. It is a little jittery with the backgrounds enabled, just the fade in and out of the icons after closing an app or unlocking the screen. Nothing really noticeable unless you're neurotic.

Here is my review of iPhone iOS 4:

My homescreen:

Without the backgrounds enabled, I noticed a significant increase of speed and responsiveness going between apps and settings, compared to the 3.1.3 software I was using before.

Even without the backgrounds enabled, the UI has changed right out of the box. The icons and text are a little more clearer, plus there is a new dock, similar to the dock in OSX and the iPad. There are new icons for the Calculator, Voice Memos, and Safari.

The unified inbox feature isn't something I've got to play with just yet, since I only have my Exchange account synced with my iPhone right now.

Grouping is pretty cool. I was able to place a bunch of apps I don't use, notes, stocks, etc. and place then in a folder and give them a name. It's a perfect way of getting your home screen clean of clutter.

The camera now zooms. It looks blurry while taking the photo, but when you go back into your camera roll it looks pretty clear. I'm impressed.

Maps now uses the GPS feature on the iPhone, and not just the data. You get a nifty icon next to the battery life indicator showing that you are using location-based functions.

You can also create playlists now within the iPod app.

Safari is a little different. The address bar was re-designed.

Since I have a Mac with iPhoto, you can organize your photos on your iPhone by face recognition.

I can't find where to enable iBooks, but I think maybe that feature is down the road. That or maybe only available for the iPhone 4 and/or 3GS.

Internet Tethering is now in the network settings menu. If you select it, a pop-up appears and it wants you to contact at&t to enable it via subscription. (See the at&t data plan thread.)

One feature I'm looking forward to is syncing my iPhone with a Bluetooth keyboard.

So there you have it. I've only hit one snag in the process, before upgrading, I backed up all my music from my iPhone using iRip, but I can't sync my music back without wiping the data from my phone and starting fresh. So I have to do some hex editing on my iTunes library XML file on my Mac.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 06-09-2010 at 02:18 PM.