Thread: Thinking about becoming a Mechanic

Default Thinking about becoming a Mechanic

Hey Fellow PDers as I try and search for a new career the thought of being a mechanic has been floating around for years. Just wondering if anyone on here is a mechanic and has any advise on how they got to where they are? Do you enjoy it?

Anything is helpful. Thanks PD!!!!

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: Thinking about becoming a Mechanic

Do it!
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

N8R

Banned

I'm not sure if you already have a specific field in mind that you want to enter, but I have a suggestion for you:

Be a Diesel Mechanic!!

There is a huge shortage of trained diesel mechanics right now, and the job opportunities will be as good as any line of work you could possibly enter. I'm not sure if you're local or not but, the Indiana Caterpillar dealer, MacAllister Machinery, will even pay for your training/degree if you work with them. I haven't read the details of the program, but I think its definitely worth a look if you're interested in working with heavy equipment. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAllister Machinery
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you interested in earning a 2 year Associates Degree in Diesel Technology? In partnership with Caterpillar and Owens Community College, MacAllister Machinery sponsors individuals interested in obtaining an Associates Degree in Diesel Technology. If you would like to learn more about this program, click the link below to view an informational PDF document.
    http://www.macallister.com/mac4/lib/...ig-program.pdf

Edit: I just saw you are in Canada. Check your local Caterpillar dealer, perhaps they are participating in the same program.

Mood

I have spent many years as a diesel mechanic and it can be a good career but you really have to stay on top of the new technology because it comes out quickly. I went throught the Lincoln Tech program and it is a good one, but experience teaches much more. Starting off the pay is not terrific but as time goes on you can get into better situations. I am unable to do the diesel mechanics anymore but I still rebuild engines on the side for cash and it can be pretty lucrative as well. If you are good at your craft the pay will come. There is a lot of heavy lifting and the job is very dirty and not the best comfort level. The bigger places like Cummins and Allison are real hard to get into unless you know someone and that might take years then. There are a ton of jobs but remember to be careful and weigh the jobs out in your mind on which one would be the best for you because moving to another job can be a pain in the butt with moving tools and large tool boxes. And remember you may need to spend 30-100$ cash weekly on tools for a while because good durable tools are expensive. I have about 50,000 in tolols wrapped up in 20 years.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post: