Thread: Hank Baskett: What onside kick?(comments from the botched play from the Super Bowl)

Default Hank Baskett: What onside kick?(comments from the botched play from the Super Bowl)

Yes I know its like beating a dead horse(pardon the pun) but honestly someone sent this to me and I just had to make a post about what a total horse's crap this is and well Hank himself.

http://www.csnphilly.com/06/06/10/Ba...59&feedID=3041

JR: A lot of fans when your name is mentioned, especially online, they have beer muscles and make comments about the Super Bowl onsides kick. How often do you hear about that from fans?
    HB: What’s funny is I haven’t heard one thing about the onsides kick. People know me, especially the people in Philadelphia, and they know me more for my special teams play than anything. One play does not make a career and one play does not change a game. You make a big catch at the end of the game and score a touchdown and for the team that loses there is still a lot of things that could have happened in the other 60 minutes of the game. Everyone that knows football knows that one play does not decide a game. Anyway, I’ve learned you have to let stuff go in one ear and out the other.

Default Re: Hank Baskett: What onside kick?(comments from the botched play from the Super Bowl)

Hank does have a point though. One play does not make a game let alone a career. There were many many plays after that onside kick.

With that said that play was at least a major fail by him and the entire special teams. That play was the start to the Saints comeback. They could have made Sean P look stupid for calling an onside kick but instead made him a Superbowl winning coach.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Hank Baskett: What onside kick?(comments from the botched play from the Super Bowl)

***** Hank Baskett.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Baskett
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...and one play does not change a game.
    Umm, yes it does. It happens all the time in all sports, especially football. In fact, almost every game, no matter how far apart the score is, you can look back and boil the game down to just a few difference making plays.

Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    Hank does have a point though. One play does not make a game let alone a career. There were many many plays after that onside kick.

Guess you never heard of Scott Norwood or Bill Buckner have you?

I guess all the RedSox players didn't strike out before Buckner? If just two of them had another hit, or one had a multi-run homerun earlier in the game, it wouldn't have been decided by Buckner's error.

Plays aren't independent variables. You can't change one play in the second quarter, or the first play of the third, and expect the rest of the game to play out the same. It's not possible.

One play does not lose a game/win a game.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I guess all the RedSox players didn't strike out before Buckner? If just two of them had another hit, or one had a multi-run homerun earlier in the game, it wouldn't have been decided by Buckner's error.

Plays aren't independent variables. You can't change one play in the second quarter, or the first play of the third, and expect the rest of the game to play out the same. It's not possible.

One play does not lose a game/win a game.

So then what about Scott Norwood? If he had made that FG the Bills would've won the Super Bowl but he didn't and the Giants won instead.

That being said I don't think he should be solely blamed for that loss either but to say that didn't end up defining his career is rather unrealistic. Its not always fair and its reality.

Baskett is a bum anyways its not like he'll ever play in that type of meaningful game for the rest of his career(how long it lasts) so yeah that's how I'll always remember him that and the fact he married a Hefner whore.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    So then what about Scott Norwood? If he had made that FG the Bills would've won the Super Bowl but he didn't and the Giants won instead.
    I don't think I need to go through every example. But what if the Bills defense didn't allow NY to have the ball for over 40mins?

What if the Bills didn't go three and out after their safety? I'm sure Jim Kelly didn't have perfect throwing game. I'm sure LT missed a couple of tackles.

Football isn't an individual sport.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

I agree with Hank, but signing him was the dumbest thing we've done in a while.

He was worthless.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

The bum deal with Norwood it that it was a 49 yarder.

It's like making an NBA player into a goat for missing a key 3-pointer. It wasn't a choke, it was a very hard kick to make- a 50-50 prospect at best for even the very best kickers of all time.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    I agree with Hank, but signing him was the dumbest thing we've done in a while.

He was worthless.
    I was really disappointed when they signed him. We had Taj Smith on the practice squad, and he would've actually been able to step in and produce in games in which Collie and Garcon were banged up.

If Taj Smith doesn't make the team this year, I call bull****.

"Anyway, I’ve learned you have to let stuff go in one ear and out the other."

Especially when you are married to a well known whore.

Meh I don't care what Hank Baskett has to say. I care more about players who actually made a play for us last season. The guy did absolutely nothing except bring Kendra to town, which got Indy some national publicity on E!.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    Meh I don't care what Hank Baskett has to say. I care more about players who actually made a play for us last season. The guy did absolutely nothing except bring Kendra to town, which got Indy some national publicity on E!.
    How many people actually watch E! anymore? 20? maybe 30 people?

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    I watch E! all the time. I think Joel McHale, and The Soup, is hilarious.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I watch E! all the time. I think Joel McHale, and The Soup, is hilarious.
    Damn, you got me. That dude IS pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post

I used to watch E! when it was good but it sucks now I only watch it if there's an E! True Hollywood Story that's worth watching like Basketball Wives.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Baskett did nothing for this team, I am glad he is gone. He is a good guy, but he just didn't produce.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    There were many many plays after that onside kick.
    Yep the offense even drove right back after that to retake the lead. But then the offense and the defense decided not to do a damn thing after the third quarter. I don't blame Baskett for the loss, but he needs to shut the **** up. He failed at his assignment, period.
    Last edited by Natston; 06-12-2010 at 08:32 AM.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Agree with S86 totally in all cases. What is being confused is that FANS decide that one play = game, career. That doesn't make them correct.

This is why Bartman had to live in fear in Chicago - irrationality of nutjob fans.

Remember when Norwood missed that FG in the SB for the Niners when they were up 40 points on Denver? Well, okay, he wasn't with them and maybe there wasn't a missed FG in that SB (don't really remember), but the point is that guys blow plays in huge wins all the time, and guys make big plays in losses too. Fans just forget those.

Basket blew a play, but he's not as important as Manning and I think Manning made more than 1 good play, so shouldn't that counter it more than enough? So then it wasn't just Basket after all because it wasn't just one bad play.

Say they take a blocked FG in for a TD, Manning throws for 6 TD and no INT, and Addai breaks 2 70 yd runs for TDs....and then Basket flubs the onside kick. No one cares, no one remembers the exact same play.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    Yeah then she said "being isolated in Indiana" is what lead to her depression.

Must be tough for Hank knowing that before he married his wife, she was getting a train run on her by some 80 year old dude and probably just about any other guy that could buy her something shiny.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods