Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fix it Indycar!

Default Re: Fix it Indycar!

Engine mapping differences for qualifying and the race, at least at Indy, is something I've thought about before as well. I don't see the downside although I do see the need to keep the genie in the bottle somewhat. They can't be finding an extra 10MPH each year or else they will outrun advancements in safety.

OTOH, hamstringing the cars until they are running speeds they ran 20 years ago isn't the right answer IMHO.

Once the genie was out of the bottle and the 240MPH barrier was in sight (239MPH in practice... 236MPH qualifying), following that the next year with 218MPH wasn't exactly stupifying for the public's imagination.

They did get over the 230 barrier again in 2002 and 2003 but then went back to 222MPH in 04.

There has always been tweaks to slow the speed increments down over the years, but during the IRL era they've been much more active in keeping speeds down.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just have to see what the new package offers. I'm not sure whether Honda issues the ECU for the weekend or IRL. It's fairly easy to change the mapping with a computer program so it'd be easy to get one setup for qualifying, turn it in and get another for the race. Put a seal on it when installed so it's easy to check for tampering during post race.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP63 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just have to see what the new package offers. I'm not sure whether Honda issues the ECU for the weekend or IRL. It's fairly easy to change the mapping with a computer program so it'd be easy to get one setup for qualifying, turn it in and get another for the race. Put a seal on it when installed so it's easy to check for tampering during post race.
    Wouldn't this be something that is already checked post race (and post Q)? I'm figuring the IRL would be cautious of any chip tampering possibilities done now even.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I'm sure that it is. I can't imagine them letting the teams keep the "race" ECU between events, they'd be modified in seconds...The way I've seen it done in other series is the series keeps them in a slotted case and hands it out during pre-practice tech. Once it's installed, it's sealed until post race when they come around and collect them after inspection or in the tech line.
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I understand both of your points and see where you are coming from. It would be nice to see the series actually make innovation and originality a part of it. There has to be a way to make that happen without making it too expensive.

Common ECU? But I don't know if it's possible. I'd love to see them just hand out a tub and a few common components and tell them to go for it, but it'll never happen.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Izod officials: Safety team did not follow protocol in fiery rescue

The Izod IndyCar Series' safety team did not follow protocol in rescuing driver Simona De Silvestro in a fire earlier this month at Texas Motor Speedway, series officials said today.

The first rescuer on the scene should have used a pressurized water can to protect her. Instead, he tried to release a kinked hose mounted to the truck, IndyCar's president of competition said.

De Silvestro and two rescuers suffered minor burns. Brian Barnhart said no disciplinary action is needed.

"They're beating themselves up pretty good," he said.

But, he added, "Clearly we stumbled on this one."
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...n-fiery-rescue

------

-John Wooden

Danica with some NSFW language on the scanner. Apparently she didn't like Kanan's hardcore, take no prisoners pass on her at the Iowa race this past weekend.

------

-John Wooden

Indycar to announce chassis selection 14 July.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

I'll treat this as an official IndyCar thread.....just some info

Adam Carroll confirmed for Mid Ohio in addition to this weekend for AA
    Last edited by Dr. Goldfoot; 07-02-2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: I said Kentucky and meant Mid Ohio

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Goldfoot For This Useful Post:

Sounds like a schedule shakeup is coming down the pike. Nothing major, but look for some tweaks to come.

Tomas Scheckter in the 24 for Toronto.

Default They have made the selection and...

IT'S THE FREAKING DALLARA!!!

All that so they can go back to drinking out of the same toilet? God I am pissed. They are still going to be as expensive as hell until they start building them in Indy (and by then the price will double). I don't give a crap what the news release says, with the euro conversion and all the import duties on the wheels, spares and tubs, they'll be right back in the same boat they're in now. Don't even tell me that all of the various aero kits aren't going to be rushed straight to the wind tunnel by the big boys and they'll pick and choose the best bits so don't even tell me how that's going to save money. Aero isn't cheap.

What a load of crap.

I just checked in on the new specs a little while ago. I need to let the idea settle awhile. I was hoping there would be multiple chassis, but then I feared that would just end up being 1 chassis with everyone migrating to the perceived 'best' chassis. The only way to avoid that would be not to freeze the specs too much to not allow the 2nd tier car a chance to go back to the drawing board and fix whatever is slowing them. And now we're back to the 'money' and 'cost' argument.

But IF something makes the series more attractive to fans and sponsors, even if it does cost more, having more money in the series would help balance that out.

From a quick glance I like the idea of the tub being the locked in part and then allowing quite a bit of innovation with the rest of the pieces of the car.

But the big money teams will find a way to maximize their pieces... But then again... the big money teams do that now in any way they can. Just having the cars not all look identical is a start in the right direction I think.

I'd like to see them start allowing some individual aero changes as soon as next season for the existing cars.

I'm not coming away from this announcement as excited as I'd hoped to be... But it's not as bad as it could've been either. ...I'm leaning towards thinking it's at least a step in the right direction. Just not nearly the step I'd hoped for. But maybe baby steps is all that I should hope for in this economy.

Containing costs is good only if it doesn't contain interest while doing it. That is the hurdle they need to jump.

------

-John Wooden

INDYCAR: 2012 Car Reactions
    SPEED’s Robin Miller provides first reactions and insight into IndyCar’s new car concept.

The only radical thing about the first new Indy car in almost a decade will be visible on the price tag but it’s such a dramatic departure from today’s costs it could jump start open wheel racing in America.

After two months of analyzing facts, comparing companies and gauging the economy, IndyCar’s 7-man ICONIC panel opted for a familiar name but with a whole new set of prices and parameters that could bring some diversity back to the Indianapolis 500.

Dallara, which has built Indy cars since 1998 and been the sole supplier since 2005, has been selected to build the guts of the 2012 chassis – the Indy Safety Cell. But the rule book is now open for Lola, Swift, BAT and Delta Wing (the other four companies vying to get the contract) or any interested racing/car manufacturer to design their own bodywork, wings and aero packages.
    IndyCar's 2012 car will be constructed by Dallara, but open for manufacturers to create their own aero kits. (IZOD IndyCar)

In other words, there is the potential to have several different looking cars at the Indianapolis 500 after eight straight Mays of boring spec racing.

But, unlike the current Dallara model which sells for $700,000, the rolling chassis for 2012 will list for $349,000. And, with a nice rebate from the Indiana government, that figure will drop into the neighborhood of $235,000 if you are an Indiana-based team.

Considering Honda is expected to drastically lower its yearly lease, this means almost a 50 percent reduction in start up costs.

“It’s very good news, it’s what we needed because the prices have been out of line with the value of our series for quite a while,” said Dennis Reinbold, who along with Robbie Buhl has been fielding Indy cars for a decade.

Tony Cotman, a member of the ICONIC board and chief steward of the Indy Lights who also was the mid-wife of the 2007 Panoz in Champ Car, is pushing for rigid control on parts.

“The reduced car cost is necessary and overdue but the critical thing is the running costs, that’s where the teams spend all their money,” said Cotman. “And we have to do a good job of controlling the parts prices.”

After listening to the pitch of five car manufacturers, the 7-man ICONIC committee assembled by IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard selected Dallara to build the new car – which will be assembled in the shadow of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

It was the Italian company’s willingness to put up a racing factory on Main Street in Speedway, which will bring a minimum of 75 new jobs to Indianapolis, that really swung the panel’s decision.

Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels is appropriating approximately $5 million to help subsidize an industry that still brings millions to the local economy. That money will be given to Dallara which, in turn, will give $150,000 rebates to each Indiana-based team buying a new car.
    Tony Purnell addresses the crowd as Neil Ressler, Rick Lond and Gil de Ferran. (LAT)

When Bernard, who had never seen an Indy car race when he was hired last winter, announced he was forming a 7-man committee to chose cars and engines, it was met with much skepticism since most racers can’t agree on what day it is.

“It was an unbelievable process to have seven experts with a range of ideas and opinions that were 180 degrees apart on some aspects and to see how they rolled up their sleeves,” said Bernard, who enlisted Tony Purnell, Rick Long, Eddie Gossage, Neil Ressler, Brian Barnhart, Gil de Ferran and Cotman to make the most important decisions in recent history.

“With serious debate, research data and critical thinking, they became a team and were unanimous in every decision.”

Some of the current IndyCar owners had voiced their support for the DeltaWing, a space age creation from the mind of ex-Lola designer Ben Bowlby, which was funded by Chip Ganassi.

It was seen as too much, too soon by many insiders but Bowlby’s creative concept was the impetus for IndyCar to get off its behind and finally address a new car last winter.

Lola, with the longest-running history at Indy dating back to 1965, had been absent from the US scene since 2006 and made a strong presentation to the ICONIC board while Swift’s proposed design was viewed by many as the slickest.

But, those companies either wanted total exclusivity or weren’t funded well enough to match Dallara’s commitment to a dedicated production facility.

“Tony Purnell came up with the idea of the safety cell and letting everyone get creative with the car’s clothes,” said Bernard. “I know a lot of people wanted us to have two or three cars but right now that just wasn’t feasible.

“Hopefully, we’ll have several different looking cars and different sounding engines by 2012.”

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...car-reactions/

------

-John Wooden

What I take issue with is the fact that it's Dallara. This is the same company that's been screwing them like blind cats for the last umpteen years. The fact that the business model allows them to suddenly drop prices by 45% should tell you all you need to know about what they've been up to. Don't even get me started on the spare parts...

It will just be a matter of time before they all look alike again. As soon as all the "open" aero components are available, Roger, Chip and Michael will buy one of each and spend a couple of million in the wind tunnel to find out which one is best for what type of track...Everyone else will follow suit soon enough.

Mood

I'm sorry, but this is crap. They should have opened it up completely if they wanted to excite EVERYONE and not just racing fans. You know what I want to see? I want to see a 33 car field where there are no two alike. Different engines, different body styles. The only stipulation should be that your wheels have to be open, and you have to maintain a competitive speed for safety. I'd like to see the big teams rolling up to the line with different cars each knowing that their driver is driving the baddest mother****er on the track and then proving it. This junk is just more of the same boring ****.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So are they going to put in turbos?

No?

Then they're morons

ďWE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKINGĒ- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So are they going to put in turbos?

No?

Then they're morons
    Earlier, IndyCar officials announced a turbocharged engine for 2012 that will generate between 550 and 700 horsepower.
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...e-one-come-all

------

-John Wooden

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Prince Eddie in for Chicago, Kentucky & Homestead.

I had gigs this weekend so my race viewing was via DVR so I'm just catching up on some thoughts. Was that not absolutely the worst call in Indycar history to black flag Helio on the restart at Edmonton?

Was that Barnhart's way of countering the complaints of favoritism that he's been accused of showing Penske?

...And I thought some of the blocking calls (and penalties) were bad at the 500...

Barnhart has taken the drama out of the Indy 500 starts... and seems to be one of the chief proponents in dumbing down the racing.

It's time to send Barnhart away. Now.

Give Helio the win back for Sunday's race with a HUGE apology. Give Barnhart the summer off.

------

-John Wooden

They hired Tony Cottman to oversee the new car and engine package. He did the leg work on the Panoz that Cart used until it folded...

I'm not sure about the date change for Kentucky. If my friends are any indication Labor Day weekend is not a fan friendly date. People who normally go are not going this year due to the date (family plans....)...

------

-John Wooden

Unofficial reports say this will be the last Chicagoland Indycar race. Too bad. Seemed like a good race nearly every time. New Nascar dates don't leave a viable Indycar date available... plus the question of sanctioning fee vs value coming into play.

Meanwhile, Robin Miller is reporting Indycar owners are complaining about the 2012 car proposal. If I read it correctly, it's the not the proposal per se, just the costs of having to buy new cars in 2012. Apparently, they prefer updates for the current package... not new cars...

I was under the impression the package was going to grandfather the existing cars and that obviously didn't happen. I think if I was in charge I would've opened up the rulebook to allow a wider range of aero changes to the current chassis beginning with the 2011 season (if not immediately) and did a phase in for the new car that wouldn't necessarily start in with a hard line of 2012.

IMHO a different look is needed on the track ASAP.... but I agree in this economy forcing teams into new cars in 2012 with no grandfathering of existing chassis is cutting it close.

But part of that is Indycar dragging it's feet on moving forward until they HAD to do it and acting reactively rather than proactively and attacking this a few years back with a longer looking plan. ...IMHO...

------

-John Wooden

More on the soap opera about the new cars...

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...t-get-along/P1