Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fix it Indycar!

Default Re: Fix it Indycar!

Interesting stuff. Hopefully Bernard can play the right cards and keep everyone on track. I like how he seemed to bring some energy to the series and some forward vision initially but I'm wondering if that's stalling out now.

I'm really curious how the Kentucky crowd will be this week. Normally there would be 4-5 of us going but there's only 2. Labor day weekend and family plans trumped the race for the people that would likely be going with me. ...and it was almost just me going until 1 person was able to make some different arrangements...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Full Story:
    http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...-both-barrels/

Sounds like Bernard has Miller's support.

...But he’s a smart, stand-up guy with a brain for business who is LISTENING TO THE FANS and is respected by a lot of big hitters in this country. His biggest faults may be his optimism and the fact he hasn’t learned how to lie.

Yet to think he busts his *** and may not have the owners’ unanimous support is as ignorant as it is maddening. Just remember this: he’s trying to clean up the mess you’ve (owners) helped make of open wheel racing.

And six months ain’t nearly enough time to find a big enough mop.
    From Speed.com

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Got my Kentucky Indy 300 tickets!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

I've been stewing on this a while. Do I agree with the decision that was made re: Dallara? Hell no. I think I made that plain. But why in the name of God should they (Cottman and Bernard) give a **** what the "disgruntled owners" think. The whole spat revolves around the fact that the "disgruntled owners" feel slighted for not being consulted. No, not consulted, begged...Hat in hand, like visiting Don Corleone. There is not another series on the planet that goes begging to their "disgruntled owners" to get their input on how they should conduct business (OK, MAYBE Formula One). They say these are the rules. Comply with them and race within them or **** off. Maybe the "disgruntled owners" need to get out of bed with Delta Wing. (Which is an interesting concept for either a dragster or land speed record vehicle). If they truley reduce prices, the "disgruntled owners" could indeed be replaced fairly quickly.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

I think it would be nice if Indycar didn't obsolete the old chassis everytime they come up with a new 'spec'. The top tier teams will always wanted the latest and greatest but I'm sure there are plenty of upstarts who might like to buy "last year's car" and go racing even though they might know they are fighting an uphill battle as far as wins goes. Plus this would allow more frequent updates instead of sticking with one car for 7 years or whatever because nobody would be forced into buying new equipment on some hard line date.

As long as Milka Duno has a ride you know you won't finish last if you can keep the wheels on the car.

I know the counter argument is going to be "If everyone doesn't buy a new car then _insert chosen builder here_ won't be able to make an affordable car"

You know, racing survived and thrived for a lot of years without any one manufacturer winning the contract to build ALL the cars for a given series.

Maybe it's time to look to the past in order to again think outside of the box.

IMHO the lack of money in the sport is because there has been such a loss of interest in the sport. Perhaps, these cost control measures are hurting the cash flow as much or more than helping it? IOW.... they are helping to create the lack of interest that is making the series less valuable to sponsors...

------

-John Wooden

When they had more than ONE FREAKING CHASSIS SUPPLIER a lot of the little guys bought the one or two year old hand me downs. Especially the Indy only guys. I don't know what the answer is, but I'd love to see them take the shackles off and give them a sheet of rules and tell them we'll see you two days before the first race for tech inspection.
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Milwaukee back on for 2011

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Goldfoot For This Useful Post:

YES!!!