Thread: Kevin Pritchard on his way out of Portland?

Default Kevin Pritchard on his way out of Portland?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...060510&print=1

Quote Originally Posted by Yahoo! Sports
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Blazers look into hiring new GM
    By Adrian Wojnarowski
    Yahoo! Sports Jun 5, 7:29 pm EDT

The Portland Trail Blazers have empowered a private headhunting firm to research and reach out to potential general manager candidates, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The use of the firm is further evidence embattled GM Kevin Pritchard has fallen out of favor with ownership and likely will be replaced before next season.

At least two current NBA front-office executives have been targeted, sources confirmed, and the firm has also made several fact-finding calls about Oklahoma City Thunder GM Sam Presti.

Pritchard lost a power struggle with Blazers president Larry Miller. His top ally and assistant GM Tom Penn was fired late in the season. Pritchard had sought a contract extension last year only to be rebuffed. AOL Fanhouse reported Pritchard’s courtside seat next to owner Paul Allen had been taken away this season.

Ownership has refused to give Pritchard a public show of support, and multiple sources say Vulcan Inc., which oversees the Blazers, had become fed up with Pritchard’s egocentric behavior.

Sources say some potential candidates are uneasy about the ownership dynamic in Portland. Vulcan Inc. has a history of meddlesome behavior, and some established NBA front-office executives are hesitant over a structure where they fear they’ll have little chance to establish and carry out their own philosophies and organizational framework. With Miller and popular coach Nate McMillan, the Blazers have two powerful and entrenched figures firmly in place.

Nevertheless, this is still a largely appealing job because of the solid state of the franchise’s talent base and a motivated and wealthy ownership group. Pritchard is still preparing for the June draft and making cursory calls on potential trades. Agents dealing with him say he’s toned down his verbiage, no longer making bold proclamations about his ability to buy draft picks and move up to snare their clients. It’s clear he can do little, if anything, without the approval of his superiors.
    Would anyone have seen this coming three years ago when Pritchard was tearing it up with all his moves?

Default Re: Kevin Pritchard on his way out of Portland?

He must have Pritch-slapped himself.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Blazers sour on Pritchard, reach out to GMs - NBA- nbcsports.msnbc.com

The Trail Blazers have enlisted a private headhunting firm to research and reach out to potential general manager candidates, according to Yahoo! Sports.

This confirms that GM Kevin Pritchard may not last the summer in Portland, apparently because he "lost a power struggle with Blazers president Larry Miller." Inquiries have been made about at least two current GMs, including Sam Presti of Oklahoma City. The Pacers were rumored to have interest in hiring Pritchard, who has done a solid job in Portland and should have no trouble finding another gig.
    They quote Yahoo! Sports as their source, yet I can't find any mentioning of the Pacers there.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    He must have Pritch-slapped himself.
    I think he was crushed by Paul Allen's wallet.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Blazers sour on Pritchard, reach out to GMs - NBA- nbcsports.msnbc.com

They quote Yahoo! Sports as their source, yet I can't find any mentioning of the Pacers there.

Interesting, "the Pacers"? Does that mean Simon has interest in him as a replacement for Bird or does hit mean Bird has interest adding him to their group? This seems odd.

If he's coming in as a GM, he'd be replacing Morway.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

if we're looking for a new front office guy, we could do a lot worse than pritchard.

as to the pacers' connection, we discussed it a few months ago. vecsey claimed that pritchard's agent was manuevering him to indy.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=52017

the vecsey article was posted by uncle buck (post #24)

I really like Morway, though. Is he really the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    I really like Morway, though. Is he really the problem?
    I have no idea.

I suppose just going off of what Portland has done lately (particularly on draft night), that Pritchard would theoretically be an upgrade, but I don't really know that.

This is the same guy who tried to sign Hedo Turkoglu to that contract, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This is the same guy who tried to sign Hedo Turkoglu to that contract, right?
    Yes, but we don't play in the FA market (at least until next year.) If you want to build with the draft, he's a great guy to have.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

The best move the Pacers could make by replacing Bird with Pritchard, the love affair with Bird is over and the Simons know it.

Correction: I forgot Bird was the team president and not the GM, but everyone knows that Bird makes the final decisions. I don't know if Morway had anything to do with any of the moves made by the Pacers. If they did bring Pritchard in, I have to believe he would have more authority over personnel moves. Bird would finally fit into his natural executive position, a figurehead.
    Last edited by eldubious; 06-06-2010 at 08:16 PM.

I think Pritchard is a little overrated. You gotta remember that this guy has had access to Paul Allen's very deep pockets. Sure, he did well with the Brandon Roy draft night trade, but there are still some moves that many may find questionable:

-- Extending Aldridge for 5 years/65 million. Yes, Aldridge is a good player, but not $13 million a year good
    -- Drafting Oden ahead of a future Hall of Famer. Granted, Oden was the consensus #1 pick at the time, but Durant continues to get better and this could turn into another Sam Bowie pick
    -- The handling of Darius Miles' fiasco

The ironic thing is that Pritchard is from Bloomington, originally.

If Pritchard were to come to Indy, as has been mentioned, it would be in a role working with Bird. From my understanding, Bird is essentially the CEO of Pacers Sports, Morway is the CFO, Fuson is the COO and Pritchard would/could be the CEO of Pacers basketball reporting to Bird.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If he comes here, he would need to replace Bird, not work with him. From what I've read, Pritchard has a little bit of an ego on him. This would be a Walsh/Bird "Too many chiefs" situation all over again. Personally, I'd like to see Bird take a hike and Pritchard take over. It won't happen though.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    From what I've read, Pritchard has a little bit of an ego on him.
    That's like saying this guy as a little extra weight on him.

"I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

waitaminute! Why did I give you a thanks for that. Now I can't get the image burned from my retinas.

Not that I want to, mind you.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I read Sam Presti interviewed for the Blazers GM job. I'd hate to see him leave Oklahoma City.