Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indiana Pacers: Exploring the Off-season Options

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default Indiana Pacers: Exploring the Off-season Options

"Much has been made about the Pacers push towards the end of the season, which basically hurt them more than it could have ever helped them as far as the future is concerned.

Now left with the number ten pick in the upcoming NBA Draft, the Pacers have some options, and it likely will not be known what they will do until draft day.

Here are just a few of the options that Pacers fans are mulling over at the moment.Draft Ekpe Udoh

Taking Udoh here is an option that a lot of Pacers fans are in favor of, except for myself.

I just don’t see where he fits into the starting lineup with the team we have now. Maybe if we make other moves he could fit in nicely, but as of right now I don’t see where he fits.

Draft Avery Bradley

While everyone agrees that the PG position is the one the Pacers need to address most, I don’t know if Bradley is our guy in this draft.

I know Bradley and Ford both played at Texas, that has no bearing on what I am about to say.

I feel that Bradley is just a younger TJ Ford. Their playing styles are so similar I can basically already see his two or three year stint with the team before he moves on with his career somewhere else.

Trade First Round Pick for PG

Whether it be Darren Collison or Devin Harris, I think that the Pacers should seriously explore these options.

With CP3 staying in New Orleans, Collins will definitely be looking for some playing time somewhere else.

If the Nets were able to get the number one pick in the draft, the Harris deal could have been really possible, but I haven’t ruled it out completely.

A young point guard that has proven talent would be the best choice for the Pacers in my opinion.

Trade Murphy and Rush for Parker

This is the big rumor out there right now.

If both sides can come to terms, both teams would be improved in my opinion for next year.

With the emergence of IUPUI standout George Hill as the future of the Spurs, look for Parker to possibly be dealt by San Antonio.

Who knows whether there is any truth to this rumor, but seeing no. nine in a Pacers uniform would definitely be a big improvement.

Draft Eric Bledsoe

Eric Bledsoe may be the best “true point guard” out there in the draft this year.

Although, he had to play more off the ball at Kentucky because of Wall, he has shown that he can shoot, but more importantly that he knows how to play team basketball.

Obviously he was surrounded by talented players at Kentucky, but he fit in very well and without Wall, he may have had much more attention on him by most NBA teams.

Draft Gordon Hayward

No Larry……fight the urge….

we do not need another Dunleavy Jr.

Draft Anyone Else at No. 10

Whether it be Xavier Henry, Patrick Patterson, Ed Davis, James Anderson, Hassan Whiteside…

Not really sure this is the best direction to go…so they will probably do one of these things."

Link: http://alwaysmillertime.com/2010/06/...eason-options/
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Default Re: Indiana Pacers: Exploring the Off-season Options

As far as Udoh fitting in with this roster, Murphy, Dunleavy, Ford, Foster, and Solo won't be here next year. That means 3 PF's will be gone. If Tyler can't get his health issue resolved and play, that makes 4 current PF's unavailable after this season. Who is going to be the PF in 011-012? This draft is heavy in PF's, and you take Udoh if he's available at #10 for the future.

You draft for the future knowing that Jimmy is going to play his favorite "stretch forward" 30-35 minutes or so a game. The chance of Udoh playing much under Jimmy isn't great. You don't draft Udoh for Jimmy, but the next season and beyond when James O'Stubborn is gone.

The closer to the upcoming draft it gets the more I feel that Bird and Morway are hard at work to get a PG, and that the #10 pick is a real possibility to be part of the deal. If this trade comes about where the #10 pick is part of the deal, I hope Bird gets a pick or picks in return as to where the Pacers can get another young player or two from this draft to help build for the future.

I have a list of players, both in the 1st and 2nd rounds, that I'm interested in this draft, and hopefully even with a trade of the #10 that something will transpire that the Pacers will be able to still draft in the 1st round.

I'm just trying to keep a positive outlook, as hard as it is at times, that Bird will be successful this draft and off season for the future of the Pacers with his decisions. JMOAA
    Last edited by Justin Tyme; 06-06-2010 at 07:53 AM.

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As far as Udoh fitting in with this roster, Murphy, Dunleavy, Ford, Foster, and Solo won't be here next year. That means 3 PF's will be gone. If Tyler can't get his health issue resolved and play, that makes 4 current PF's unavailable after this season...
    What makes you think we are not gonna let the expiring contracts expire, and then re-sign the same players to smaller contracts?

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post
    What makes you think we are not gonna let the expiring contracts expire, and then re-sign the same players to smaller contracts?
    Definition of Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Bird might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, and he might be known as the "Hick from French Lick", but I don't think he is insane.
    If he can't win w/ this group now, what makes you think he wants to try anain after n/y? Do you think resigning these same players to smaller deals is his master 3 yr plan? Lord I hope not! If so, hellow "Kansas City Pacers"!
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Banned

As far as Udoh fitting in with this roster, Murphy, Dunleavy, Ford, Foster, and Solo won't be here next year. That means 3 PF's will be gone. If Tyler can't get his health issue resolved and play, that makes 4 current PF's unavailable after this season. Who is going to be the PF in 011-012? This draft is heavy in PF's, and you take Udoh if he's available at #10 for the future.

You draft for the future knowing that Jimmy is going to play his favorite "stretch forward" 30-35 minutes or so a game. The chance of Udoh playing much under Jimmy isn't great. You don't draft Udoh for Jimmy, but the next season and beyond when James O'Stubborn is gone.

The closer to the upcoming draft it gets the more I feel that Bird and Morway are hard at work to get a PG, and that the #10 pick is a real possibility to be part of the deal. If this trade comes about where the #10 pick is part of the deal, I hope Bird gets a pick or picks in return as to where the Pacers can get another young player or two from this draft to help build for the future.

I have a list of players, both in the 1st and 2nd rounds, that I'm interested in this draft, and hopefully even with a trade of the #10 that something will transpire that the Pacers will be able to still draft in the 1st round.

I'm just trying to keep a positive outlook, as hard as it is at times, that Bird will be successful this draft and off season for the future of the Pacers with his decisions. JMOAA
    All of the guys listed WILL be here next year. And Tyler will be back.
    With the Pacers where they are (losing seasons, talk of moving the franchise) you would never draft for the future.
    The future is NOW.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    With the Pacers where they are (losing seasons, talk of moving the franchise) you would never draft for the future.
    The future is NOW.
    If you dont mind me asking, how are you so sure ALL those will be back?
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

I'm a pretty big fan of trading Murphy and #10 for Collison and Okafor.

People balk at Okafor's contract but its not like he isn't an effective player and a perfect "enforcer" type PF. He is a durable player with no injury history, great rebounder, defender, shotblocker. People say hes offensively inept but he has averaged double figure points for his career.

I don't think one bad contract hurts the team that much, its having a BUNCH of bad contracts that has been our problem. I can stomach overpaying Okafor, its much better than overpaying Murphy, Dunleavy, Ford, Tinsley, etc... all at the same time. At least Okafor is productive, durable, and a good fit.

Not to mention, Collison looks to be about the best young PG out there who might actually be attainable. I don't think this deal will happen, but I really hope it does. I just don't see an impact player coming in this draft.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Collison and Okafor and their 1st round pick for Muphy Rush and our #10 is a good deal in my opinion.

Udoh would fit into that huge empty void where no one is guarding the opposition's power forwards. That's where Udoh fits in on this team.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyPacer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Collison and Okafor and their 1st round pick for Muphy Rush and our #10 is a good deal in my opinion.
    Good deal for them. Leave out Rush (put someone else in there) and it could be a good deal for us.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacer View Post
    Good deal for them. Leave out Rush (put someone else in there) and it could be a good deal for us.
    You're kidding right? Rush is a good Defender but you could easily replace him in the draft with N.O's pick, or even in the second round. SG's are the easiest players to draft and get production from. Xavier Henry would make a good replacement for Rush. Infact, Rush has been such an enigma that trading him away and replacing him with a sure fire SG like Henry would be pretty smart. I like Rush but one thing about drafting a SG is you have to make sure that he was THE guy on his team in college. Rush was not THE guy at Kansas. I find it pretty funny that Bird and JOB want 14 and 7 from Rush on a nightly basis in the NBA when he never was able to really achieve that at the college level.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 06-06-2010 at 03:23 PM.

I don't think we would have to give up Rush in that deal. I doubt NO really covets him and the key to the trade for them is shedding Okafors contract. If we needed to sweeten that deal (which I don't think we do) Price would make more sense because we would be taking their backup PG.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

You're kidding right? Rush is a good Defender but you could easily replace him in the draft with N.O's pick, or even in the second round. SG's are the easiest players to draft and get production from. Xavier Henry would make a good replacement for Rush. Infact, Rush has been such an enigma that trading him away and replacing him with a sure fire SG like Henry would be pretty smart. I like Rush but one thing about drafting a SG is you have to make sure that he was THE guy on his team in college. Rush was not THE guy at Kansas. I find it pretty funny that Bird and JOB want 14 and 7 from Rush on a nightly basis in the NBA when he never was able to really achieve that at the college level.
    Even if Rush is an enigma on offense, you can't argue with what he does for the team. I think that'd be overpaying for Collison and Okafor. We all know what Okafor does and what he's capable of, and Collison is in no way an established all-star, nor does he have the credentials to be (yet.) Also, Henry wasn't THE guy at Kansas either.

Quote Originally Posted by HanSolo View Post
    Even if Rush is an enigma on offense, you can't argue with what he does for the team. I think that'd be overpaying for Collison and Okafor. We all know what Okafor does and what he's capable of, and Collison is in no way an established all-star, nor does he have the credentials to be (yet.) Also, Henry wasn't THE guy at Kansas either.
    I am not in favor of trading a young guys in order to get any of the younger pgs..unless the young guys is AJ (basically believing your upgrading your "young PG")

The pacers would look SO stupid, if they traded Rush, and three years from now Rush is a great player and AJ is starting ahead of Collison..

So if you take this deal, Murphy + #10, for Collison and Okafor...either keep Rush out of it, or make sure Okafor is the PF you want..not just "the bullet your taking to get Collison"...because that is far too many bullets for an unestablished player.

I want to first say that I like what Brandon Rush brings to the team. He is a great defender and plays within the offense. So what if he doesn't have the superstar-high scoring mindset. I don't think he is lazy. I think he is an excellent player, a team player, that the Pacers will regret trading if they do which they seem to want to.

There isn't a lot of great options for the Pacers at 10 although I think I like Udoh the best if he is even available there. Otherwise it will probably be best if they can trade it either for a couple of firsts later in the draft or for a player such as Darren Collison...without taking on Okafor's contract.

Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post

What makes you think the Pacers would when they aren't the future to build around.

What makes you think Murphy and Dunleavy would want to re-sign for the 6 mil Bird signed Foster for last year?

Rush is an excellent glue guy role player. If he never gets any better than he currently is he is still a player who can be a very valuable piece on a good team. People need to adjust their expectations a bit.

- ilive4sports

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    The future is NOW.

Anyone you draft is for the future as long as Jimmy is the coach!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

You do realize NO pick is only 1 behind the the Pacers?

A scenario is to take the trade you propose and then the Pacers either trade back in the draft for other picks or take the #11 to draft George to replace Rush.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

I don't necessarily think it's a given that Collison wants to leave New Orleans. Maybe down somewhere down the line. He's in a pretty good situation, backing up CP3. That could be a potentially lethal 3 guard rotation with CP3, Collison, and Marcus Thornton.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to NapTonius Monk For This Useful Post:

You do realize NO pick is only 1 behind the the Pacers?

A scenario is to take the trade you propose and then the Pacers either trade back in the draft for other picks or take the #11 to draft George to replace Rush.
    Then why doesn't NO draft Henry or Paul and leave Rush out of this proposal?

Nothing Henry has done nothing that has proven that he's any more "sure fire" at his position than Rush. And why even swap for Rush if our trade partner could just draft Henry?

There are way too many rumors about the #10 pick. Honestly, Indiana is GOING to make a trade Draft Night. Indiana has a nice set of PF's, so this draft is not that important to us. Plus, I really do believe that Murphy is good as gone!

I don't think you will get New Orleans draft pick in that trade. I would give Rush, the 10th pick, and whatever expiring for that deal.
    Last edited by pacers74; 06-07-2010 at 09:51 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    If you dont mind me asking, how are you so sure ALL those will be back?
    Contractually. Except Solo I think. Trades aren't what he was talking about.