Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indiana Fever 2010 Regular Season Thread

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana Fever 2010 Regular Season Thread

ESPN article about chemistry between Catch and KT:

http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/colum...everduo-100715
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Mood

As of tonight, all Eastern Conference teams are .500 and above. In the Western Conference only Seattle is above .500!

Crazy. Is the relative lack of competition for Seattle going to mean they come into the playoffs at an advantage (fresher legs due to an easier path to the Finals) or do you think it'll be better to come out of the East battle-tested?

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Mood

78-73 win tonight against the Mystics in Washington. Significant things to note:

1) Briann January is back! First start since she was out with an injury, 19 points and 8 assists. She got to the free throw line like a mad woman (14-15 there) and iced the game there in the last 3 seconds.

2) We seem to be on a bit of a roll now. Fourth win in a row, have won 6 of 7.

3) The Mystics were only half a game behind us coming into the game tonight. We're now a game and a half up on them.

4) We now have a road record above .500

Gotta keep winning though. The fourth place team is only 3 games behind us.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    78-73 win tonight against the Mystics in Washington. Significant things to note:

1) Briann January is back! First start since she was out with an injury, 19 points and 8 assists. She got to the free throw line like a mad woman (14-15 there) and iced the game there in the last 3 seconds.

2) We seem to be on a bit of a roll now. Fourth win in a row, have won 6 of 7.

3) The Mystics were only half a game behind us coming into the game tonight. We're now a game and a half up on them.

4) We now have a road record above .500

Gotta keep winning though. The fourth place team is only 3 games behind us.
    All great points, I'll just add to that from my observations:

1) I love Bri. I was so excited when I saw that she would get the start. The place was crazy loud when she stepped to the line with a chance to ice the game, and she coolly knocked em down. Clutch. Since the playoffs last season, I've felt like this was the year where she would slowly take the reigns away from Tully and own that starting spot. I loved what she showed as a rookie, and games like tonight reaffirm my belief that she'll be a great leader for us in the future. Plus, she has a black belt in karate. How awesome is that?

2) We're rolling at a critical time of the year. I know last season I was worried about Detroit, but this season... I think we have a great chance against any team in the East.

3) This team is really tight. I was watching them during timeouts and just dead ball situations and they look like a really close bunch. Cheek was having a rough night with fouls and I noticed Jessica Moore come over and taps her on the back and just say "hey, it's okay." Right before the 3rd quarter they all got together and started dancing. When Bri missed that layup in the final minute of the fourth, everyone came over and gave her a pat or a hand. They let her know she would have a chance to redeem herself and she did. All the little things that championship teams have, this team has.

4) Our defense, and team defense especially has been excellent. Tonight, the help defense was usually right on time. A couple times we got caught switching and the Mystics had an open lane to the rim, but most of the time we clogged the passing lanes and forced the Mystics into bad passes and contested shots.

5) I thought Tully did a great job adapting to coming off the bench. She's just the ultimate professional. She had a reduced role, but she still came in prepared and hit one of the biggest shots of the game.

Mood

The Fever played a stinker and lost first place today. Only Catch scored in double figures and the game before this one Indiana was out rebounded 44-21! To say they are not handling front runner status very well would be an understatement.

http://www.wnba.com/games/20100801/I...t2hp1021000148

Not pushing the panic button yet but wondering when/if this team is going to display consistent intensity (outside of Catch, of course).

Mood

Dirty Diana strikes again with the "inadvertent" nasty elbow to Davenport's nose. 'Tis not the first time that sort of thing has happened at the end of a hotly contested game that Phoenix is losing.

Gonna win though, 95-78 with 2 and a half remaining.
    Last edited by gummy; 08-08-2010 at 08:07 PM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    Dirty Diana strikes again with the "inadvertent" nasty elbow to Davenport's nose. 'Tis not the first time that sort of thing has happened at the end of a hotly contested game that Phoenix is losing.

Gonna win though, 95-78 with 2 and a half remaining.
    That **** was disgusting. She clearly saw Davenport, stuck out her elbow, and even followed through. Then afterward, she even looks over like with satisfaction. What a *****. I don't know why, but that **** really bothers me. If she was anyone else, on any court in America she would get her *** beat for pulling some **** like that.

And she probably won't even be punished.

I'm so happy we blew them out. Without Cappie, they ain't ****.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kuq_e_Zi91 For This Useful Post:

I'm a fan of Taurasi's, and even I thought the elbow was intentional, retaliation for Dewanna Bonner. I don't think she hurts people because she's losing. I've never seen that one. But I have seen her retaliate, quite blantantly. But apparently She (Taurasi) went over to Hoffman to check on her, and kinda patted her on her arm.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Mood

Not specific to the Fever, just a progress report on the league. Basically the storyline is one of slow, steady growth in attendance and ESPN ratings over the last two years. I saw somewhere else that merch sales were also up this year but I can't remember where I read it.

Not too shabby in a crappy economy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/wnba/news?sl...-positivesigns

Sports Logo

I love this girl Briann January, man. What a play to end the first half!

Mood

Love to hear the place so loud - glad to see folks remember and appreciate last year's Finals match-up.

Mood

The bench is not getting it done right now.

Wow, what an incredible succession of plays right there. May have decided the game.

The arena is pretty packed, any special ticket promotion or it's only because it's vs. Phoenix?

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    Wow, what an incredible succession of plays right there. May have decided the game.

The arena is pretty packed, any special ticket promotion or it's only because it's vs. Phoenix?
    Yea..looked like a lot of people.

Perhaps a little rivalry there.

The Fever aren't my team (not that I really have one in the WNBA..I kind of go between Connecticut, New York, Phoenix, and Seattle..that's only about half the league there.. And I don't mind Indy..) but the way the crowd supported them last season during the playoffs was fantastic. I'm hoping for a Seattle/Indy final, the fans are awesome for the women. (although Phoenix/Indy would be good too)

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I heard that the game was a sellout tonight. I'm so glad that we won and man we are playing great right now. I'm really hoping that we can finally win that championship this year (knock on wood). I'd rather play Seattle in the Finals if we get there (and assuming Seattle does too) as I don't want to see anymore of Taurasi as I absolutely have to. I think she is actually one of the dirtiest players in the league and she does get away with some pretty big calls from what I've seen--a la LeBron James--imo. But back to the Fever, they've got great chemistry on and off of the court and really play like a team. They play hard and with passion and it is great to see the fans come out and support the team.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    I heard that the game was a sellout tonight. I'm so glad that we won and man we are playing great right now. I'm really hoping that we can finally win that championship this year (knock on wood). I'd rather play Seattle in the Finals if we get there (and assuming Seattle does too) as I don't want to see anymore of Taurasi as I absolutely have to. I think she is actually one of the dirtiest players in the league and she does get away with some pretty big calls from what I've seen--a la LeBron James--imo. But back to the Fever, they've got great chemistry on and off of the court and really play like a team. They play hard and with passion and it is great to see the fans come out and support the team.
    she gets away with a lot, she also gets called for a lot too, more so than other superstars. (It's her own fault, she's not very subtle about things. )
    IMO, she's the WNBA version of Kobe. (well, except the players in the league actually like her, and she's a better passer and play maker)

Mood

Great game. I don't think it was a sellout though - 10,002 was the official number, which is the 2nd largest of the year.
    Here's an excerpt of the post game write-up. Love the swagger:

Stirring The Emotions By Tom Rietmann

On a night when the Indiana Fever shattered its franchise scoring record and clinched a playoff position, the team also made a statement to the rest of the WNBA.

“This was our goal, to beat the (league) champs and sweep them this season, just to put a message out there: 'Don't sleep on the Fever,' '' forward Ebony Hoffman said after Indiana thumped reigning WNBA champion Phoenix for the second time in six days.

http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/100813game.html

When I was the TV schedule for this game (Fever/Mercury), I told my wife I thought the WNBA lost a great opportunity to capitalize on the season WNBA Finals matchup between these two teams. It was the highest WNBA Finals ever televised; for the regular season rematch not to be aired, IMO, is a huge mistake! Think of how many basketball fans let alone WNBA, Fever or Mercury fans would have watched this game.

What a wasted opportunity to not only generate advertising revenue but to also bring in even more fans to either arena (in this case, the Fieldhouse since this was a Fever home game).

21. The Following User Says Thank You to NuffSaid For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Stellar play by Bri tonight. It would be a huge plus to have Bri at the top of her game when we face NY.

That said, I'm not a fan of her over-dribbling on the final play of the 4th quarter. I would have liked to see Catch get an iso at the top of the arc and let her go to work.
    Last edited by Kuq_e_Zi91; 08-22-2010 at 07:27 PM.

Mood

Didn't get a chance to watch the last game.

I'm bummed that we slid down to 3rd place. NY is super hot right now, I am a little worried. If the Fever are at the top of their game they'll take the series but they've been up and down all year...

Three game losing streak isn't how you want to go into the Playoffs. Hope Katie's ankle is OK.

Hope we see a more focused team

First-round exit, I'm afraid.

Time to get a new coach.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Time to get a new coach.
    I'm surprised you didn't say that after they lost in the finals last year.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

In that last game, they tried something new - two players moving on offense AT THE SAME TIME.

I thought it was an optical illusion or perhaps some kind of hallucination until it happened again.

Then it stopped.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Mood

That was a frustrating end to the season but we still won over 20 games and we had a chance to be the #1 seed until the last game of the season in a conference that has never been this tough before.

I don't know how the 1st round is going to go but we're not an automatic one and done, that's for sure. The sky has not yet fallen.