View Poll Results: Do you have what it takes to enter the draft challenge?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bring it on! I'll send in my choice before Stern announces the 10th pick!

28 87.50%
  • No way, man! I can't handle this kind of pressure!

4 12.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hicks's Draft Accountability Challenge 2010 (Update Post-Draft!)

Mood

Default Hicks's Draft Accountability Challenge 2010 (Update Post-Draft!)

This is a challenge for all of you arm-chair general mangers out there. You like playing GM? Well, it's time to play a little bit more by their rules.

It's a given that after every NBA draft, you have plenty of people playing the "I could have done it better" card. Maybe they don't like the player selected, or maybe they simply thought there were a multitude of better options, or maybe both.

While that's understandable to a point, at the end of the day, the man being criticized only has one chance and can only make one choice, and he has to live with it from then on.

I'm challenging you to do the same.

Between now and when the Pacers are officially on the clock on draft night (just after the 9th pick is announced [assuming we still have the 10th pick]), you need to make YOUR final call.

You only get one shot at this, though if you make your selection now, you have until the time we know who the 9th pick is to change your mind. If you don't revise your pick before the 10th pick is announced by David Stern, you are stuck with the last name I had you down for, even if you made that pick weeks earlier.

To enter yourself in the challenge, email me your draft choice, along with your PD username, to hickspacersdigest@gmail.com .

Actually, if you would, send me a contingency list of at least a few guys. That way, if your first choice ends up being taken 1-9, you will still have someone to take.

I am doing it this way for a few reasons:

1) I will be at the draft party that night, so I may not have immediate access to the forum at the time of the pick.

2) The forum often goes down or gets very slow on draft night, and this way the challenge won't be jeopardized by that possibility.

3) Added accountability in that you can't go back and edit your email once you've sent it like you theoretically could your PD post if we had entries made here.

Once you send me your selection, I will record it here in my original post so that everyone can see where you stand.

No hindsight, no alternative selections/scenarios, just you and the #10 pick, one chance, one player, and you have to have your name attached to said player from here on out when discussing how things pan out.

Are you up for it? Can you deal with the added accountability in future discussions? I hope you are.

Yes, this is imperfect in that your choice may be different than Bird's, and depending on where your rookie goes, his team/environment may very well cause him to have a different fate than the one he likely would have had in Indiana, but there's nothing we can do about that other than acknowledge it and try to reasonably speculate if possible.

Whenever there's a topic second-guessing the actual Bird pick, your name will be on record as to the guy you wanted at the time Bird had to make his call, and you will then be subject to the same scrutiny and second-guessing that he is as it relates to your rookie.

I think this will be fun and I think it will add a new level of accountability to all would-be GMs out there.

Do you dare put your name on the line?

*Update post-draft*

With the 10th pick in the 2010 NBA Draft.....

HeliumFear's Indiana Pacers select: Ed Davis

Speed's Indiana Pacers select: Patrick Patterson

Major Cold's Indiana Pacers select: Xavier Henry

Pig Nash's Indiana Pacers select: Paul George

HeartlandFan's Indiana Pacers select: Paul George

johndozark's Indiana Pacers select: Patrick Patterson

MyFavMartin's Indiana Pacers select: Paul George

flox's Indiana Pacers select: Xavier Henry

docpaul's Indiana Pacers select: Xavier Henry

Hoop's Indiana Pacers select: Paul George

Really?'s Indiana Pacers select: Paul George

odeez's Indiana Pacers select: Paul George

Los Angeles's Indiana Pacers select: Ed Davis

pwee31's Indiana Pacers select: Paul George

Isaac's Indiana Pacers select: Paul George

mellifluous's Indiana Pacers select: Paul George

ESutt7's Indiana Pacers select: Xavier Henry

PacerGuy's Indiana Pacers select: Paul George

Hitman02's Indiana Pacers select: Paul George

CableKC's Indiana Pacers select: Xavier Henry

Sookie's Indiana Pacers select: Paul George

cdash's Indiana Pacers select: Eric Bledsoe

Kuq e Zi91's Indiana Pacers select: Paul George

Placebo's Indiana Pacers select: Paul George

Kegboy's Indiana Pacers select: Patrick Patterson

The Hustler's Indiana Pacers select: Paul George

Whtwudusay's Indiana Pacers select: Paul George

FlavaDave's Indiana Pacers select: Paul George

Naptown_Seth's Indiana Pacers select: Patrick Patterson

Default Re: Hicks's Draft Accountability Challenge 2010

This seems fun, but I'm not sure I'll actually be watching the draft to know who's available at 10. Still, maybe I'll play, and even if not, I hope plenty of people do because it's a very interesting idea.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Do we submit our choice within the five minutes since the previous pick? I would want to know the previous nine before stating my preference, in which case the timing might not work out if I'm working or something.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

I have a hard enough time rationalizing my own decisions after I've made them. Anticipating what someone else will do before they do it is waaaay beyond me.

Good luck to all who play the game!
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do we submit our choice within the five minutes since the previous pick? I would want to know the previous nine before stating my preference, in which case the timing might not work out if I'm working or something.
    Though obviously this could backfire if someone picks him before Indiana is on the clock, you can send me your pick at any time between now and the announcement of the 9th pick.

Maybe I should encourage everyone to send me a list, kind of like we do in fantasy drafts, where the highest guy left on your ranked list is the one you officially choose when the 9th pick is announced.

That way no one's left with sending me a name who gets taken ahead of Indiana.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    I have a hard enough time rationalizing my own decisions after I've made them. Anticipating what someone else will do before they do it is waaaay beyond me.

Good luck to all who play the game!
    I hope there's no confusion in that I am not asking you to guess who Bird will pick.

I'm asking you to pretend you are the general manager of the team; tell me who you would pick if the choice was yours to make.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Though obviously this could backfire if someone picks him before Indiana is on the clock, you can send me your pick at any time between now and the announcement of the 9th pick.

Maybe I should encourage everyone to send me a list, kind of like we do in fantasy drafts, where the highest guy left on your ranked list is the one you officially choose when the 9th pick is announced.

That way no one's left with sending me a name who gets taken ahead of Indiana.
    I really like that idea, this seems fun, but I can't promise I'll be watching the draft, and I'd still like to participate.

Perhaps you could make it an option to send you a list?

Mood

Yes, I've edited that into the original post as I think that's what will be needed for most people.

Just send me your first, second, third, etc. choice.

Great idea on the contingency list.

A Top 10 list would definitely leave you with a name you have to go with. I'd have to do all ten just in case someone falls for a ridiculous reason. (Granger, party of one. Granger. Granger.)
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What happens if we trade the pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    Then we all win!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Then we all win!
    Exactly.

The short answer is: It might just screw this whole thing up.

If we know about it before the time of the draft, and the trade has us picking some place else in the draft, we can probably adjust to that.

But if it happens on draft night, especially after the pick has already been made, then it probably torpedoes the whole thing, and we immediately set our sights on Hicks's Draft Accountability Challenge 2011.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"trade the pick" should be an option.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I like it. Even if we trade the pick those of us that play are as you said "stuck" with having your choice, for good or bad, for the rest of the year. I can see a lot of "I told you so's!" and a little fun ridiculing coming out during the season

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    "trade the pick" should be an option.
    It's not an option because the entire point of this is to have people pick one guy and stick with him, and if they could just say "trade the pick" they're off the hook.

Not if they have to be specific. You're still picking a guy.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Mood

The spirit of this is to pick at #10 unless the Pacers actually make a trade before the draft that would alter it for everyone. I don't want to open up that can of worms.

Why not? I consider draft picks extremely overvalued, and would trade most picks outside the top 3 unless I really felt I could draft a star, which doesn't describe any of the players that will be available at #10.

And you could hold me accountable to that theory. List out some of the recent trade rumors, or players that you feel could be traded for #10, and we'll see if that player is better than whoever turns out to be available at #10.

Mood

That's more complicated than I want this to be.

Yeah, I don't get it.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    That's more complicated than I want this to be.
    That's the reality of the draft, though. Your options aren't simply limited to the names on the declaration list.

Mood

I'm going to try to put this another way:

My concept here is not supposed to be completely realistic, nor was it ever meant to be very complicated. And I am not interested in trying to make it any more realistic or complicated than it already is.

If you don't like it, you don't like it, but please stop arguing with me about it. This was meant to be fun and the last thing I want to do is argue about it any more than I already have.

Either take it for what it is, or don't and leave it alone.

Kegboy, it's simply this:

1) Assume we're picking at #10 and not trading it.

2) Obviously Bird is going to pick somebody, and opinions are likely going to vary on how good of a pick it was.

3) The simple idea here is to have people go on the record as to who they would pick, at the same time Bird has to, and then live with that choice just like Bird will have to, so when we start getting comments after the pick about how dumb it was, smart it was, how you could have done it better, you'll at least have your own pick to live down if he flops or crow about if he does well. It forces you to be glued at the hip with one of these guys like Larry is glued to Danny, Shawne, Brandon, Roy, and Tyler.

I see no problem with excluding trades. Including trades opens up the "Well Bird picked X player at #10, but I would have traded that pick for Tim Duncan!" crap. We are not actual GMs, and so we cannot know what deals are on the table and what deals aren't. We do know the players that are available to draft, though.

I'll play. Gimme a few days.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

Okay, but if my pick goes badly, I'm "leaking" to the press that it was really Grace's idea, and I only did it to humor her. Oh, and there was an offer on the table to trade up for Turner, but Hicks wouldn't let me.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

The issue with that is, it becomes less "put your money where your mouth is," and becomes a game just for fun. There's no "accountability" if all of your options aren't open. It becomes "draft pick'em."

There's nothing wrong with that, it just isn't presented that way in the original post.