Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default California

So I am making some decent money now and I have a humble amount that I can put away for travel. I have been to about 15 different countries in my 24 years (and I've never been to Mexico or Canada) but there are still some parts of the United States I haven't been to, one of which is California. I am going to Puerto Rico in January (another place in the U.S. I've never been) and would like to go somewhere in California next summer or fall.

What I would prefer to do is to have a hotel that will enable me to hang out on the beach a lot and also be walkable in terms of some shopping, restaurants, and some cultural stuff. I probably won't venture too too far away from my hotel during my trip. I really don't want to stomach the expense of renting a car but I am open to taking taxis a few times to get to certain places. Now, I love the idea of wine country as much as anyone but I want to do that when I am making more money and can rent a Cadillac or something and stay in all the nice bed and breakfasts.

I know it's a huge state and that it's pretty hot in the South and more temperate in the North. However, from the little I know it seems that if San Fran is the most similar to East Coast cities in terms of walkability but I also (think?) it never really gets hot enough there to spend a day in the sun on the beach. The LA area seems warmer but it seems that it is nothing but highways there and you can't really walk anywhere.

So I am pretty lost. If anyone lives in or has spent time in California and can help me out feel free to post.
    Last edited by idioteque; 06-05-2010 at 11:14 AM.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: California

DC, I've got your hook-up.

You, si,r need to come to Venice or Santa Monica. If it were a choice between summer and fall, I would choose fall. September here is perfect - the water and air are both the warmest in the year (but not hot) and the tourists are mostly gone. You'll be by the beach with about 100 restaurants to choose from. there's a bus that will take you up and down the coast, and of course, I'll take you around to other parts of town. We can even meet up with imawhat and a few other forum heads and maybe get a little basketball talk in.

If you want a surf lesson, I can provide that and if you're really in a jam, I can clear off some floor space for you in my studio and you can crash for free.

Get ready for some fun!

If, on the other hand, you would rather rent a car and do a road trip, I would say taking Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) from LA to through Big Sur and up into San Francisco will change your world. It's better than the grand canyon in my opinion. Just the most beautiful drive you can imagine.

EDIT - When I'm not on the road for work, I can walk or bike to everything I need. leisure, movies, grocery, bars, friends, everything. My car sits in my parking spot and collects dust for days at a time. LA has a reputation for being a maze of freeways, but once you get off the freeway and hang out in a neighborhood you realize that each neighborhood is its own small town. And you don't really have to leave that small town for much of anything.
    Last edited by Los Angeles; 06-05-2010 at 11:31 AM.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

I'm completely with LA on this. You can accomplish everything you want (and then some) in Venice and Santa Monica. I'd be up for hanging out.

September is perfect. The average high is 71 and every day is sunny.

At some point though, I'd recommend a car and taking a few trips around the state. Yosemite is amazing, the coastline drive is amazing, Sequoia is nice, wine country is nice, etc.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would do that trip in a heartbeat, LA. Not really feasible at this stage though.

You and the new missus are welcome any time, Pig Nash!
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Mood

We'll keep that in mind.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

OK LA, put me, the wife, and two kids down for January 12-March 28th next year.

j/k

Personally I'd recommend going to Malibu and hanging with Reggie.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

9. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

I'm in Squaw Creek as I type this.

I can't believe how friggin cold it is here. In my wildest dreams I never would have thought that I would have traveled from Indiana to California/Nevada and be telling everyone that it is 20-25 degrees colder here than it is at home.

They had snow fall that accumulated on Tuesday of last week......

Other than that though the area is very nice and of course Lake Tahoe is outstanding. Not that I would know this yet as the past two days have been raining and a wind advisory has been on the lake. On top of that I have come down with some virus that makes my throat feel like graded cheese and I can't breath so my family is on the lake today sailboating while I sit here and type to you.

Carson City/Virginia City & reno NV are all nice locations as well and within an hours driving distance of the lake.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I hear it's beautiful country up there. Hope you feel better soon!

DC, please posts lots of updates if/when you visit. I will be visiting LA if I ever hear back from a talent agency or a studio. I plan to send out my information again in December or January.

LA, I know Los Angeles is really expensive, but I have had a lot of friends tell me to check out San Diego. I met a guy last night at a Japanese steak house, however, who told me it is kind of a rich area and that it is a horrible place for young people. Do you know anything about San Diego?

Thank you much.

DC, good luck and seriously, keep up posted!

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    San Diego
    FTW
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Excuse my ignorance, what does "FTW" stand for?

Mood

FOR THE WIN!!

sheesh even I know that. duh
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I visited the LA area last year in February...loved it. I wasn't really expecting a whole lot, but there was just so much to do, nice places to walk, great weather, just fantastic, I really loved it.

I am planning a trip soon and trying to decide between going to New York or San Francisco. I've never been to either, and I kind of figured that I would have to go to NYC at least once in my life to say I've been, but I hear SF is gorgeous, especially wine country. Anyone got any suggestions?

A few years back we flew into San Diego, rented a car and took 10 days to drive up to San Francisco.

Best vacation ever.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Los Angeles if you're not on the road when I come I might have to take you up on that. I can always pay you in tacos and beer if needed. I will bump this thread as time passes and I make my decision.

Tacos and beer are always welcome at my house!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

I've been to California once and it was to San Francisco. That city is absolutely gorgeous. I can't imagine there being a more beautiful city in the United States. San Francisco certainly has plenty of culture, restaurants, and shopping, but you sound like you also want a beach atmosphere too. San Francisco might not be the best place then as it is pretty chilly there in the summer. SoCal would definitely be better if you want to spend a lot of time chilling on the beach.

LA, I might possibly be taking a trip to Los Angeles in the not-to-distant future. I might have to hit you up if I do.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    Thanks for the ideas everyone. Los Angeles if you're not on the road when I come I might have to take you up on that. I can always pay you in tacos and beer if needed. I will bump this thread as time passes and I make my decision.
    Bring something nice for his "girlfriend."

Hey - what's with the quotes? Robots are people too, you know.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Hey - what's with the quotes? Robots are people too, you know.
    But blow-up dolls aren't.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post
    Bring something nice for his "girlfriend."
    Oh, I always bring something nice for his girlfriend.

(This year I'm bringing her a donkey punch. Shhhhh...I want it to be a surprise!)
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Skaut_Ech For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    But blow-up dolls aren't.
    The air pump takes batteries. That's robot enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    Oh, I always bring something nice for his girlfriend.

(This year I'm bringing her a donkey punch. Shhhhh...I want it to be a surprise!)
    Christmas is my favorite time of year.

Sir. Donkey Puncharello

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods