Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We keep talking about Collison, but has NO given any indication that they're willing to trade him? I haven't heard anything in that regard, but I haven't been keeping up as much over the past couple of months...
    I think you're right. Earlier in this post, someone mentioned how great it would be to get a good young point guard who is still on a rookie contract. The question is, why in the world would N.O. trade away a good young point guard who is still on a rookie contract? Who are they going to find that would be a better, cheaper back up to Chris Paul than Collison? No one!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    I think you're right. Earlier in this post, someone mentioned how great it would be to get a good young point guard who is still on a rookie contract. The question is, why in the world would N.O. trade away a good young point guard who is still on a rookie contract? Who are they going to find that would be a better, cheaper back up to Chris Paul than Collison? No one!
    Plus dont people need to ease off of declairing Collinson already to be such a stud?
    Sittin on top of the world!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Well, they'll trade Collison, but for something that is significant. I mean, they're not going to trade Collison for the #10 pick just so they can draft Eric Bledsoe, LOL. There's no point in that.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

A roster that looks like this makes me giddy about next season

PG: Collison/Price/Bradley
    SG: Rush/DJones/Bradley
    SF: Granger/Dunleavy/Rush
    PF: Okafor/McRobberts/Hansbrough
    C: Hibbert/Okafor/Foster

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post

I think Bird is gonna surprise us by making some big moves this offseason.

I'm expecting a draft night deal involving our pick along with another trade during the summer.

I think we'll have 7 or 8 new faces going into next season, but these are gonna be some good players.

My enthusiasm is waning fast about this off season moves. I'm being to feel again that nothing much is going to happen. Maybe one of the expirings possibly will be traded... hopefully Murphy. I just keep getting the feeling that things are being positioned to make this franchise look as good as possible for a buyer in 2011. I hope it's just the summer heat making me feel this way.

A bunch of new faces has been the norm the last several years, so why would this year be any different?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ToasterBusVIP View Post
    I really think that has more to do with what assets Bird has available for trade, rather than what he prefers to do. If you're trading the 10th pick, you get the best player you can for that pick. If he's going conservative again on us, that probably means the Pacers would offer a less glamorous package.

Now if we DO give up the #10 for a Luke Ridnour or Ramon Sessions, that's not just being conservative that's overpaying.

You can't trade a pick for a player. In order to get a player the Pacers have to take back the same amount in salary. Even Bird is smart enough to understand if he's trading with either the Bucks or T-Wolves and either team wants the #10 included as an extra, he has to get a pick or picks in return for including the #10.

Example would be:

Minnie trades
    Sessions
    Ellington

to the Pacers for

Foster(expiring)
    #10 & 57

In this example, the salaries match, and both teams exchange picks in the process. You aren't trading a #10 pick for Sessions, just exchanging picks. AND I'd be really upset if Bird, as you mentioned, included a pick in a trade for Sessions or anyone else w/o receiving a pick back.

Quote Originally Posted by eldubious View Post
    I'm sticking with my theory that Bird will trade back to draft Hayward, whether it's Minnesota or Milwaukee. He can do that and still get a veteran in return, just my thoughts.

I could see that happening, but Hayward sure wouldn't be my choice of a player to draft! I'd so much rather have Udoh or George.

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post

My main question is how does Okafor do defending perimeter 4's. If he can't do it any better than Murphy, then he's not going to improve things nearly as much defensively as we'd like.

If you are expecting Okafor to be able to defend perimeter PF's, then you will be disappointed. I don't like having to take on Okafor's albatross 4 year salary. It's jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    You can't trade a pick for a player.
    You can if the other team is under the cap.

Sports Logo

My enthusiasm is waning fast about this off season moves. I'm being to feel again that nothing much is going to happen. Maybe one of the expirings possibly will be traded... hopefully Murphy. I just keep getting the feeling that things are being positioned to make this franchise look as good as possible for a buyer in 2011. I hope it's just the summer heat making me feel this way.

A bunch of new faces has been the norm the last several years, so why would this year be any different?
    So, you're feeling the same way you usually feel whenever there is a rumor that the Pacers will actually do something and then end up doing nothing?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by ESutt7 View Post

Murphy could accomplish giving them both a good player/shooter that spaces the floor for CP3 and can pick and pop,

They have Peja to spread the floor, and he's an expiring too. So with West the PF where is Murphy gonna play? Please don't say center.

They have Peja to spread the floor, and he's an expiring too. So with West the PF where is Murphy gonna play? Please don't say center.
    If they're looking for expiring guys who might actually fit with their team, I'd think a Ford/Foster combo would be much more appealing than Murphy.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

17. The Following User Says Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Fixed.

That line of thinking had us saddled and financially held hostage over the last 3 seasons with the MurphLeavy trade ( coupled with Ford and Foster's Contract ) that IMHO prevented us from making any significant moves that could have helped this Team in the short and long term.

This doesn't mean that I don't think that we should not take on any long-term contracts.....I just think that it's important that we do not take on any "overpaid" contracts....which IMHO Okafor qualifies. Financial Flexiblity allows us to make moves like what the Thunder have done over the last couple of seasons. Remember, Capspace allows the Team to have more options ( Free Agency and trades ) when it comes to improving the Team.
    And I'd bet the Thunder would trade that flexibility for a solid, set lineup. IF you get the parts you want on the floor, the future will take care of itself.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    And I'd bet the Thunder would trade that flexibility for a solid, set lineup. IF you get the parts you want on the floor, the future will take care of itself.
    I think the Thunder have a very solid lineup based off of what they did with the Cap Flexibility that they had. They acquired Thabo and Maynor through Trades that yielded them 2 key rotational Players through their Cap flexibility and also made several moves ( like the Kurt Thomas trade with the Suns that netted them 2 1st round picks cuz the Suns were desperate to get under the LT ) that has helped the Team in the long run.

This doesn't mean that I don't want to take on any large Contracts. I have no problem with taking on Big Long Term Contracts as long as it's for a Player that is worth the Contract.

For example, I have no problem taking on Monta or Iggy's contract.....cuz they are worth the contract that they signed. On the flip side, I'd have a problem with taking on a similiar contract for Okafor and Brand....as they IMHO are overpaid.

What Salary Cap Flexibility gives you is more options to improve your Team....not having it is the very situation that we have been in for the last 3 seasons when the best FA signing that we could make was the signing of Diener and Inferno.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The team taking the player has to be under the cap (I believe). The Pacers most certainly are not.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's a nice luxury, but is New Orleans in a position where they can afford it?

If Paul stays healthy he's gonna play close to 40 minutes a night. They have a good, young SG in Marcus Thornton who should play at least 30 minutes a night. There's just not many guard minutes to go around for Collison. That won't (and shouldn't) keep him happy, nor is it smart for New Orleans to let a talented young player go to waste by forcing him to either sit or spend much of his time playing out of position.

New Orleans has too many goatse-like gaping holes in their roster to let a talented young player like Collison rot away on the bench. They'd be better off trading him for someone who can fill a bigger need, or for a draft pick to be used on selecting a young talent who fills a bigger need...

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Well, they'll trade Collison, but for something that is significant. I mean, they're not going to trade Collison for the #10 pick just so they can draft Eric Bledsoe, LOL. There's no point in that.
    It's highly doubtful New Orleans would be interested in Bledsoe. For one thing, he's not considered a lottery pick by most, ranking as a late 1st in two of the three major mocks (DX and NBADraft.net; I don't know where he's at in Ford's mock). He also don't fill a need since New Orleans has that Chris Paul kid running the point.

A more likely scenario is that they'd take one of the draft's many talented big men at #10; Udoh, Davis, Patterson, etc. They could also try to package #10 with #12 to move up and land someone like Cousins or Monroe, a couple of guys who have franchise big man potential.

Let's also not forget that the proposed deal wasn't a Collison-for-10th swap, but also had us taking back Okafor and his huge contract.
    Last edited by Lance George; 06-04-2010 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Merz View Post
    The team taking the player has to be under the cap (I believe). The Pacers most certainly are not.
    That is basically what I was saying. It wouldn't make sense any other way. Guess I wasn't clear enough.

Yes, that's absolutely correct, but the Pacers in my scenario with Minnie isn't. Now, Minnie is under the cap and could do it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacer View Post
    This is seriously freaking me out. I have almost nothing this year I've enjoyed other than Rush's defense and seeing Hibbert and Price develop. This draft was one of the few things I was really excited about. I'm not sure what I'll do if they blow this as well.
    Just because we trade the pick doesn't mean we are blowing the draft.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    So, you're feeling the same way you usually feel whenever there is a rumor that the Pacers will actually do something and then end up doing nothing?

LOL! Hum, maybe there is some validity to that. But like I said the other day, these rumors happen often during the year with none ever coming to fruitition. It just gives us something to discuss. We all want something to happen, something good that is.

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    If they're looking for expiring guys who might actually fit with their team, I'd think a Ford/Foster combo would be much more appealing than Murphy.

Good point, makes plenty of sense. Unfortunately, they aren't the one who needs to go 1st. That honor goes to Murphy.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

I could see that happening, but Hayward sure wouldn't be my choice of a player to draft!

If that DOES happen

Then my worse fears are a 100% correct
    Sittin on top of the world!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Okafor isn't abusing anyone on the offensive end. Despite being a hardworker and even spending time working on his low post moves with Hakeem, he's still not refined on the offensive end and really hasn't improved offensively since coming into the league.

He's been forced to play as an undersized C for the majority of his career because putting him at PF has made his team too easy to defend. The Hornets and Bobcats can both attest to this. He's just too limited on that side of the ball to play fulltime at PF and make his team effective offensively.
    UNLESS you've got a true low post scorer of a center and a good small forward that can shoot from outside.
    Worked just fine with Dale Davis.
    Last edited by MLB007; 06-04-2010 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Sadly, that might (might) be the only roster in the league that I like less than ours.
    Other than D-Wade, would you trade our roster for Miami's?

Banned

Because Paul eats up the minutes when he's healthy, Collison isn't going to get the minutes his talents suggest he's worth. If so, then they would improve themselves by trading him for someone of comparable value that plays a different position.
    on the other hand, in reading some of their fan postings, there is opinion that trading Paul makes more sense as he could bring a big star at a different position and then that opens up pg for the cheap contract Collison.