Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 178

Thread: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

  1. #126
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,741

    Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    New Orleans has too many goatse-like gaping holes in their roster
    Oh no you didn't...
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  2. #127
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,311
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LOL! Hum, maybe there is some validity to that. But like I said the other day, these rumors happen often during the year with none ever coming to fruitition. It just gives us something to discuss. We all want something to happen, something good that is.
    Ah how well I remember those words....that year we lost Maark Jackson and Dale Davis. Watch what ye wish for ere it come true.

    Of course we have nobody of that caliber to lose so what's the harm?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  3. #128
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,741

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Other than D-Wade, would you trade our roster for Miami's?
    D-Wade is kind of the allure of that roster, no? Would you trade our roster for the Cavs' roster without LeBron?

  4. #129
    Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,784

    Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, you're feeling the same way you usually feel whenever there is a rumor that the Pacers will actually do something and then end up doing nothing?
    And then mentioning to the media how close they were to getting something done that just didn't happen at the last minute.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to NapTonius Monk For This Useful Post:


  6. #130
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,851

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And then mentioning to the media how close they were to getting something done that just didn't happen at the last minute.
    Yeah...I forgot that....it's Standard Operation Procedure.

    To be fair, I actually think that this last trade deadline that TPTB really did try to make something happen....but simply fell short.

    Unfortunately, I'm used to disappointment since we've dropped from the playoff scene....so this is nothing new to any of us.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  7. #131
    '12 PD Sunshiner awardee Kemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A-Town , Indiana
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,989

    Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    D-Wade is kind of the allure of that roster, no? Would you trade our roster for the Cavs' roster without LeBron?


    LOL .. That would be a negative.. better yet .. a NO .. lol

    If that group of Cavalier players cannot get out of the 2nd round , WITH LEBRON!!

    Why would I want them here..??!?!

    Cause a Lebron caliber player isn't gonna be walking through the door anytime soon , barring a miracle ..





    .
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

  8. #132

    Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by ESutt7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And I liked Eric Maynor last year and I'm pretty sure I remember him saying he really thought we were going to draft him...I wonder if we would trade for him? Though he's entirely unproven so IDK what it would take. I know OKC needs some size though!
    That is who I'm thinking the Pacers are most likely to target and may just offer a package including Foster and the 10th for Maynor and thier draft picks.

  9. #133

    Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by eldubious View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That is who I'm thinking the Pacers are most likely to target and may just offer a package including Foster and the 10th for Maynor and thier draft picks.

    I like that trade, so since Foster and Maynor's salary don't match, then w/o looking it up, that OKC can give a TE back which makes this trade even better. What would make Bird look like GM of the year material would be if he could finess OKC #32 pick into this deal as well.

    Just more wishful trade thinking that will never materialize.

  10. #134
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,630

    Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only 'proof' is in the 100-proof whiskey you are sampling.

    If Bird picks up a player that he could have gotten last year, I see it as a plus. Why? Because now the said player has played in the NBA.

    As for who he chose last year (Hansbrough), nobody expected him to be down for most of the year, so jury's still out in that case.
    Right now I have Holiday and Patterson/Davis (Udoh and Monroe will be gone), he's HOPING to get Collison and Hans.

    Collison will likely cost more than just the 10th and Hans might never play again and certainly hasn't proven anything more than players in this draft even when he does return. In fact a player drafted this year will have had MORE off-season work with his team than Hans will have.


    You are taking 10-13th picks and getting one guy ranked well below that last year and a PF that would be ranked well below that this year.

    You had the money for a Porsche but settled for a Jetta. Saying "hey, it's a brand new Jetta so I did just fine" is not a legit defense of that choice. You OVERSPENT, period. Even literally because trading down to get Collison last year would have meant a cheaper rookie deal on the books.

  11. #135
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,630

    Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

    Plus this has turned into a "Collison" debate with a sidebar into Maynor.


    The rumor was a trade of the pick, period. What if it's for Derek Fisher so they can "win now".

  12. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,150

    Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only differences from last year would be at PG and PF. We don't have a PG capable of doing what Collison did last year offensively...not even remotely close even if it was garbage time games. Yes, we would lose a few points with Murphy, but the big picture is clear. Okafor would help the interior D, which was probably our greatest weakness. We had guys who could adequately defend the perimeter, but they were too busy covering for T-Roy.

    Actually, combined with the development of our young guys, I think picking up Okafor and Collison would clearly make us more competitive.
    Agreed. Which is why I'm sure that NO wouldn't truly be interested.

  13. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,150

    Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ridnour, in my book, is just a slight step up from TJ Ford. What is the point in signing a guy who's already shown that he's not capable of being a good starter?

    I'd much rather have a guy like you describe in paragraph 2. Even a guy like Jordan Farmar is more exciting to me than Ridnour. It's a win-win for an FA like that. They sign a short, cheap deal with a team like Indy who plays a high pace and will inflate their numbers. They walk into a starting job (since their only real competition is a 2nd year 2nd rounder who's coming of knee surgery) and they get the chance to show the league if they're really worth anything or not.

    "Maybe Farmar will pan out and be a good starter" is a much more hopeful mentality than "I'll give Ridnour 20 games to show me why nobody else wants him as a starting PG."



    Okafor has also never played with a C who could really be an offensive threat, even at the level Hibbert can be. If you're getting scoring from the other four positions, you really don't mind Okafor being a 10-10-2 guy. If we kept Rush and did an Okafor-Collison trade, I think we'd probably have plenty of scoring. Collison averaged 18+ as a starter last year. If Rush and Hibbert can get you 12-15 each and Granger chips in 25, you're a pretty decent offense.

    I'm not a huge proponent of this trade, but I'd vastly prefer it to seeing Ford and Murphy as starters again next season.

    My main question is how does Okafor do defending perimeter 4's. If he can't do it any better than Murphy, then he's not going to improve things nearly as much defensively as we'd like.
    How many perimeter 4's ARE there in the league? Even if he's no better than Murph at THAT part of the game, he VASTLY improves our interior defense. A TRUE weakness and much more important than guarding 4's outside. Our 4 averaging 10+ rebounds a game and being a physical presense on defense takes a LOT of pressure off Hibbert.

  14. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,150

    Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That starting five looks like a potentially elite defensive team. I also believe both Collison and Hibbert can be mid-to-high teens scorers in the league, which would make them sufficient second and third options.

    To me, that team could end up similar to our 90's teams and to the Piston teams from a few years back. No real superstars, but very solid players across the board, guys who have good attitudes, can play defense and who could grow together and develop the chemistry to become successful.
    if it sounds too good to be true...................

  15. #139
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,150

    Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do like the look of a Hibbert/Okafor/Granger/Rush/Collison lineup on paper, but I really can't see a deal like this happening. Okafor's contract is just too toxic to take on, especially with the uncertainty of the CBA after next season. You would have to have some pretty big stones to do a deal of this nature. Personally, I'd like to see it happen, but I'm not holding my breath.
    If you've been the pacers for the past 4 years, you jump all over a deal like that IF it were really possible.
    Screw ALL cap space if it gets you a REAL starting 5 and decent bench NOW.
    Can't happen...

  16. #140
    Member pacers74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Plainfield
    Posts
    2,293

    Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

    Between Collison and Maynor, you know what you are getting in Collison. He played significant minutes last year and showed he is a true starting PG. Maynor is still a gamble. Maynor was a stud in college. He made the game winning shot to knock Duke out the the NCAA's in 2007.
    I would rather have Collison right now, but Maynor would come cheaper. Maynor could be just as good as Collison, but he hasn't had the opportunity to show case himself.

  17. #141
    Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Broadripple
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,254

    Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

    I'm not convinced Okafor being an offensive liability is so unworkable. It hasn't been that long since Detroit won the championship with Ben Wallace starting at center. You can say they were an elite defensive team, but adding Collison and Okafor would put the Pacers in the discussion for that status.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

    - ilive4sports

  18. #142
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

    Since everyone's talking about Collison, I'll throw in my two cents. I loved him at UCLA a couple years back, I really was watching him hard where we were concerned. Then, he had that horrific game against Rose and Memphis in the Tourney, just awful. While everyone knows you shouldn't judge a player on one game, it was hard not to question whether he could succeed against NBA talent after that.

    I think everyone believes that game is why he didn't go pro. His senior year, he didn't really show anything he hadn't done before, and as 4 year players tend to do, fell down the board. Now, I do remember disagreeing with Seth at the party about whether he was a good pick for New Orleans (), but I can't say I saw him at all this year. Everybody seems to feel he acquitted himself quite well though, so I'd be happy if we got him.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  19. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,150

    Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not convinced Okafor being an offensive liability is so unworkable. It hasn't been that long since Detroit won the championship with Ben Wallace starting at center. You can say they were an elite defensive team, but adding Collison and Okafor would put the Pacers in the discussion for that status.
    Figuring Tyler backing him up and you've got an offensive 4 when you need it.
    With Okafor, Foster and Hansbrough ALL there, Roy will think he's died and gone to heaven.
    He might be an all star in that lineup.
    I like that lineup way too much.
    So it can't possibly happen.

  20. #144

    Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

    the problem with Collison is this.

    He's a score first PG, was almost a ball hog. We want to put him in Jimmy's system. Anyone else see the problem here?

    So obviously, if we go this route, we'll just have to get rid of Jimmy

    Okafor's expensive..but he's also a double double guy with good defense and solid offense. He didn't work too well in New Orleans..but that's what he is. He's also a perfect match next to Hibbert. Which is even more important. Still..expensive..

  21. #145
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,441

    Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okafor's expensive..but he's also a double double guy with good defense and solid offense. He didn't work too well in New Orleans..but that's what he is. He's also a perfect match next to Hibbert. Which is even more important. Still..expensive..
    You really need to ask some Hornets and Bobcats fans about Okafor. He's not a solid offensive player outside of 5 feet, which he would need to be to play next to a back to the basket guy like Hibbert.

    He and Hibbert at the same time would simply allow the opposing defense to pack the lane and make the team easier to defend. Again, there's a reason the teams he's been on always play him as an undersized C. It's because they have a hard time offensively with him at PF.

  22. #146
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

    There are two sides of a half-court set, for one thing, and for another, Roy himself can play high post when we want to get Emeka the ball on the low block.

    It's not even close to a deal breaker.

  23. #147
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,741

    Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are two sides of a half-court set, for one thing, and for another, Roy himself can play high post when we want to get Emeka the ball on the low block.

    It's not even close to a deal breaker.
    I'd want Roy on the low block before Emeka.

    But the deal breaker is the contract.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  24. #148
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,441

    Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Roy himself can play high post when we want to get Emeka the ball on the low block.
    Getting the ball down low to Emeka isn't something you want to spend much time employing. I mean I'd probably still do this deal, but people aren't really understanding what kind of player Okafor really is.

  25. #149
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Getting the ball down low to Emeka isn't something you want to spend much time employing. I mean I'd probably still do this deal, but people aren't really understanding what kind of player Okafor really is.
    I'd say you're underrating Okafor's offense as much as others are overrating it.

  26. #150

    Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You really need to ask some Hornets and Bobcats fans about Okafor. He's not a solid offensive player outside of 5 feet, which he would need to be to play next to a back to the basket guy like Hibbert.

    He and Hibbert at the same time would simply allow the opposing defense to pack the lane and make the team easier to defend. Again, there's a reason the teams he's been on always play him as an undersized C. It's because they have a hard time offensively with him at PF.
    I disagree, I don't think you need a shooter for a power forward if your Center likes to play near the basket..it just means we have two players near the basket..That's traditional..your point guard, shooting guard, and Small forward stretch the floor....you know..your perimeter players..

    I think Hibbert needs a POWER forward much more than a "stretch" forward. Okafor's good for putbacks and dunks..which is fine. That's "solid offensively" for a power forward. Plus, he provides defense and rebounding. (And I don't mean he steals other players rebounds, I mean he actually gets them himself..)

    Still, he is expensive.

    however, if you think Collison/Price solves the PG position, Granger the SF, Hibbert the Center, name a better PF that we could get for Okafor, and having Foster/Hans to back him up is just icing on the cake? We'd just need a shooting guard, with dahntay as backup.
    Last edited by Sookie; 06-05-2010 at 03:36 PM.

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Official 2010 NBA Draft Recruiting Center
    By Lance George in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2258
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 01:21 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-21-2010, 10:41 AM
  3. Ford releases Mock 6.
    By Anthem in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 03:39 PM
  4. Pacers trade you hated the most
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 06-05-2005, 08:34 PM
  5. 6/24 - Final Mock Draft
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2004, 01:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •