Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

Default Re: Sources say Pacers are trying to trade the 10th pick

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just so that everyone can get an idea about what the cost is to take on Okafor, here is what he's owed on his contract:

2010-2011 : $11.795 mil
    2011-2012 : $12.793 mil
    2012-2013 : $13.790 mil
    2013-2014 : $14.788 mil ( Player Early Termination Option )

When we're talking about taking on Okafor, we're talking about committing $$$ on a "Granger-Level" Player....specifically a "Robin" to Granger's "Batman"...or vice versa. The question is....do you think that Okafor is worth that much?

IMHO....it's not worth it given the amount of $$$ that we'd have to commit to in taking on Okafor.

The only trade that I would consider where we get Collison and Okafor is if we swapped Picks:

#11+Okafor+Collison

for

#10+Murphy+Solo

I know that this maybe asking for too much while giving up little on our end....but Okafor's $53.17 mil Guaranteed Contract for the next 4 seasons is a bitter pill to swallow. IMHO....Collison isn't enough of a sweetner to take on Okafor's contract.
    Okafor's contract is so bad that they would have to include the 11th pick for it to even be considered and take bck Ford as well as Murphy.

We would get Collison, Okafor pick 10 and pick 11.

And we still wouldnt do it.

After the new CBA, his contrcat is going to look even worse than it is already.

Quote Originally Posted by dlewyus View Post

By the way, these trade rumors, and the discussion on this site are alot more interesting than watching our team the last couple of years.
    It does keep things interesting.

Bird steals the ball! Bird steals the ball! Bird steals the ball! Bird steals the ball!

It's too early to be looking for "Player X". We are not even close to being "one player away".
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Doug For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Bird is gonna surprise us by making some big moves this offseason.

I'm expecting a draft night deal involving our pick along with another trade during the summer.

I think we'll have 7 or 8 new faces going into next season, but these are gonna be some good players.

Again, I'm hoping for Michael Redd. I would be willing to deal Murphy and Dunleavy for him. Redd still has the potential of being decent. Maybe not a 20+ average guy, but maybe a 16-18 points a night shooter. We need a player like him. He still has gas in the tank. I look at him like a Ray Allen type of guy and very much like the Celtics. Allen takes a load off of Pierce with the shooting so Pierce can step up his defense. The good thing about Redd is that his contract is coming to an end and we can decide at the end if we should negotiate a contract for another few years if he helps us to the playoffs and plays well.

New Orleans is desprate to get under the lux. tax I would do a

Okafor
    Collison

FOR

Murphy
    Option to swap picks with us next year top 5 protected.

Solo would not intreast them they don't need him to make the money work and this would help them out next year as well as the following years to come. I am trying to be realistic with the Idea.

Okafor would do really well here next to hibbert he is the idea PF we are looking for. Collison is a young stud to take over our PG spot for years to come and we would still get to pick 11 to take a Bradley or Udoh or Henery. I would say you have to make that deal.

Banned

I just hope that they don't trade the pick to get Augusting or Felton by the way if the Pacers are trading this pick why are they having a draft party? are they doing all this for two second round picks?

A free agent to be wouldn't be involved in a scenario right? Since they can't be contacted by another team till July 1st? Is that correct?

I ask b/c I'm sure teams who's getting ready to lose a player may like #10 with a couple of our expiring players? The Hawks may like a package for Joe Johnson. I guess it all depends on if a player would mind coming to Indiana.

Maybe the Nets still aren't sold on Harris and a #10 package is still good enough for Harris.

I also wouldn't put it past Bird to trade #10 and a player for a solid vet at one position, and then use another deal to get back in the draft later in the first round

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I just hope that they don't trade the pick to get Augusting or Felton by the way if the Pacers are trading this pick why are they having a draft party? are they doing all this for two second round picks?
    The Pacers had a draft party the night they traded pick #11 (Bayless) to the Blazers.

If you wait till draft night to trade the pick, it's still exciting to hear "We have a trade, the Indiana Pacers have traded.....?"

Ha, I bet Knicks fans still show up to MSG and they don't have a pick

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The best trades are draft night trades. It's always unexpected.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    I think Bird is gonna surprise us by making some big moves this offseason.

I'm expecting a draft night deal involving our pick along with another trade during the summer.

I think we'll have 7 or 8 new faces going into next season, but these are gonna be some good players.

Again, I'm hoping for Michael Redd. I would be willing to deal Murphy and Dunleavy for him. Redd still has the potential of being decent. Maybe not a 20+ average guy, but maybe a 16-18 points a night shooter. We need a player like him. He still has gas in the tank. I look at him like a Ray Allen type of guy and very much like the Celtics. Allen takes a load off of Pierce with the shooting so Pierce can step up his defense. The good thing about Redd is that his contract is coming to an end and we can decide at the end if we should negotiate a contract for another few years if he helps us to the playoffs and plays well.
    I liked Redd at one point in time, but he hasn't exactly been healthy and he never passes the ball. At $17 million that is an expensive risk.
    When all of your wishes are granted many of your dreams will be destroyed -MM

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Any trade Bird does won't be for a Parker/Brand type player. Bird isn't a big splash type person. Conservative trades are his MO. And I agree with what Count said about whatever trade Bird does make many won't like.

To me the biggest type splash trade would be one for Collison, but a more likely type conservative trade would be for Sessions, or a Ridnour/Blake S&T type trade.
    I really think that has more to do with what assets Bird has available for trade, rather than what he prefers to do. If you're trading the 10th pick, you get the best player you can for that pick. If he's going conservative again on us, that probably means the Pacers would offer a less glamorous package.

Now if we DO give up the #10 for a Luke Ridnour or Ramon Sessions, that's not just being conservative that's overpaying.

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hillman's 'Fro' View Post
    One thing is for sure, IF the Pacers make a deal and plug Okafor in
    at PF, they'll either need Rush to quickly evolove into a consistently
    prolific, offensive threat at SG.

If not, they probably aren't gonna get enough scoring punch out
    of a Hibbs-Okafor-DG-Rush-Collison quintet.
    The only differences from last year would be at PG and PF. We don't have a PG capable of doing what Collison did last year offensively...not even remotely close even if it was garbage time games. Yes, we would lose a few points with Murphy, but the big picture is clear. Okafor would help the interior D, which was probably our greatest weakness. We had guys who could adequately defend the perimeter, but they were too busy covering for T-Roy.

Actually, combined with the development of our young guys, I think picking up Okafor and Collison would clearly make us more competitive.
    LeWade are going down.

I'm sticking with my theory that Bird will trade back to draft Hayward, whether it's Minnesota or Milwaukee. He can do that and still get a veteran in return, just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    I just hope we don't end up with someone like Ridnour

I wouldn't be surprised to see us go after Lawson, Augustin or a similar point guard who is still pretty young, hasn't played a lot of years professionally yet and comes from a decent college program in which he has proven himself worthy.

Sessions could be a target as could be Flynn or maybe even Rubio (doubt it, but who knows), though the asking price for him would probably be Granger. They likely would have to pony up picks or other players though to make Bird take the baite.

Felton could be a target.

I would hope Collison, but I doubt the Hornets dealing him (but, we can always dream, can't we? ).
    Ridnour, in my book, is just a slight step up from TJ Ford. What is the point in signing a guy who's already shown that he's not capable of being a good starter?

I'd much rather have a guy like you describe in paragraph 2. Even a guy like Jordan Farmar is more exciting to me than Ridnour. It's a win-win for an FA like that. They sign a short, cheap deal with a team like Indy who plays a high pace and will inflate their numbers. They walk into a starting job (since their only real competition is a 2nd year 2nd rounder who's coming of knee surgery) and they get the chance to show the league if they're really worth anything or not.

"Maybe Farmar will pan out and be a good starter" is a much more hopeful mentality than "I'll give Ridnour 20 games to show me why nobody else wants him as a starting PG."

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Okafor isn't abusing anyone on the offensive end. Despite being a hardworker and even spending time working on his low post moves with Hakeem, he's still not refined on the offensive end and really hasn't improved offensively since coming into the league.

He's been forced to play as an undersized C for the majority of his career because putting him at PF has made his team too easy to defend. The Hornets and Bobcats can both attest to this. He's just too limited on that side of the ball to play fulltime at PF and make his team effective offensively.
    Okafor has also never played with a C who could really be an offensive threat, even at the level Hibbert can be. If you're getting scoring from the other four positions, you really don't mind Okafor being a 10-10-2 guy. If we kept Rush and did an Okafor-Collison trade, I think we'd probably have plenty of scoring. Collison averaged 18+ as a starter last year. If Rush and Hibbert can get you 12-15 each and Granger chips in 25, you're a pretty decent offense.

I'm not a huge proponent of this trade, but I'd vastly prefer it to seeing Ford and Murphy as starters again next season.

My main question is how does Okafor do defending perimeter 4's. If he can't do it any better than Murphy, then he's not going to improve things nearly as much defensively as we'd like.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Collison - 18.8 ppg
    Rush - 10.1 ppg
    Granger - 24.2 ppg
    Okafor - 10.4 ppg
    Hibbert - 11.7 ppg

That's what those 5 averaged as starters last year. That's really not too bad across the board.

Okafor averaged 4 less ppg than Murphy. Collison averaged 10 more ppg than Watson. We'd actually be gaining scoring in the starting lineup with that trade.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    Collison - 18.8 ppg
    Rush - 10.1 ppg
    Granger - 24.2 ppg
    Okafor - 10.4 ppg
    Hibbert - 11.7 ppg

That's what those 5 averaged as starters last year. That's really not too bad across the board.

Okafor averaged 4 less ppg than Murphy. Collison averaged 10 more ppg than Watson. We'd actually be gaining scoring in the starting lineup with that trade.
    That starting five looks like a potentially elite defensive team. I also believe both Collison and Hibbert can be mid-to-high teens scorers in the league, which would make them sufficient second and third options.

To me, that team could end up similar to our 90's teams and to the Piston teams from a few years back. No real superstars, but very solid players across the board, guys who have good attitudes, can play defense and who could grow together and develop the chemistry to become successful.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lance George For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A team with a starting lineup of Collison/Rush/Granger/Okafor/Hibbert could be one of the top 4 teams in the east.* Depending on who we'd trade for them, which would most likely be Murphy, Ford and a pick of some sort, we'd still have a pretty good bench as well. Dunleavy and Jones can cover the wing spots, Hans, Mcbob, Solo, and Foster covering the forwards, we'd just need a decent b/u pg like Ridnour or Livingston, and we'd be relevant again!!!

* That statement is true IF JOB isn't coach. If he is coach, then it is totally irrelevant.
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

21. The Following User Says Thank You to pianoman For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I do like the look of a Hibbert/Okafor/Granger/Rush/Collison lineup on paper, but I really can't see a deal like this happening. Okafor's contract is just too toxic to take on, especially with the uncertainty of the CBA after next season. You would have to have some pretty big stones to do a deal of this nature. Personally, I'd like to see it happen, but I'm not holding my breath.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I think we might be looking to trade the pick before draft night. Bird has been burned on trades not going though in the last minutes several times. The Chicago rumor last year for one.

As for Okafor and Collison. Well, Collison is not a vet, and Okafor's contract doesn't make sense as to what the Pacers are trying to do. I don't see something like that happening at all.

Okafor has also never played with a C who could really be an offensive threat, even at the level Hibbert can be. If you're getting scoring from the other four positions, you really don't mind Okafor being a 10-10-2 guy. If we kept Rush and did an Okafor-Collison trade, I think we'd probably have plenty of scoring. Collison averaged 18+ as a starter last year. If Rush and Hibbert can get you 12-15 each and Granger chips in 25, you're a pretty decent offense.
    Playing next to a center who operates in the low block means Okafor has to space the floor by being at least a somewhat proficient perimeter PF. But he's not. The air gets very thin for him once he starts moving outside of 5 feet from the basket. Opposing teams won't have to guard him if he's on the perimeter. They'll have an extra guy to pack the lane defensively. You're just much easier to guard against in that kind of situation.

Take it from fans who have watched him. With that being said you've have strongly consider Collison/Okafor for Murphy and the #10 if N.O. offered it.

http://www.hornetsreport.com/HRForum...ad.php?t=60562
    Last edited by d_c; 06-04-2010 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    BTW, if you want 100% proof that Bird is a horrible GM, just wait and see if he turns the #10 this year into a guy he easily could have drafted last year with a lower pick. That's how you continue to lose.

The only 'proof' is in the 100-proof whiskey you are sampling.

If Bird picks up a player that he could have gotten last year, I see it as a plus. Why? Because now the said player has played in the NBA.

As for who he chose last year (Hansbrough), nobody expected him to be down for most of the year, so jury's still out in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Playing next to a center who operates in the low block means Okafor has to space the floor by being at least a somewhat proficient perimeter PF. But he's not. The air gets very thin for him once he starts moving outside of 5 feet from the basket. Opposing teams won't have to guard him if he's on the perimeter. They'll have an extra guy to pack the lane defensively. You're just much easier to guard against in that kind of situation.

Take it from fans who have watched him. With that being said you've have strongly consider Collison/Okafor for Murphy and the #10 if N.O. offered it.

http://www.hornetsreport.com/HRForum...ad.php?t=60562
    Thanks for the link. Scrolling around their forum, it looks like they really like Collison and don't want to trade him unless it's for a perfect fit. They're throwing out names like Bynum and Iguodala. Good to see that the fans think that highly of him.

I'd certainly be on board with getting him. Like I said before, I wouldn't be shocked to see us finalize a deal with Charlotte. And I liked Eric Maynor last year and I'm pretty sure I remember him saying he really thought we were going to draft him...I wonder if we would trade for him? Though he's entirely unproven so IDK what it would take. I know OKC needs some size though!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we could get Collison some how without taking on Okafor's toxic contract then I would be all over it. To get a young PG who has shown he can play in the NBA is the best move this team could do. He has a year under his belt with leading a team and he will only be 23 this August. I would be extremely happy if we some how can get him and send away one of our crappy contracts, but I doubt that happens.

If there was not so much uncertainty with the CBA and the cap then I would be better with Okafor's contract.

Collison/Rush/Granger/Okafor/Hibbert is a starting line up that I could really get behind.

We keep talking about Collison, but has NO given any indication that they're willing to trade him? I haven't heard anything in that regard, but I haven't been keeping up as much over the past couple of months...

Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    We keep talking about Collison, but has NO given any indication that they're willing to trade him? I haven't heard anything in that regard, but I haven't been keeping up as much over the past couple of months...
    I think there have been rumors, but they may be more assumptions based on the fact that he's their best young player but they have CP3 at the same spot playing 40mpg next season. So why wouldn't they capitalize while DC's value is high and get CP3 more help to "win now." They certainly can't play 2 6'0" guards together, so DC would waste away on the bench unless CP3 got hurt again.

So one thought could be trying to get a current good player that would help CP3, another may be using DC to get rid of Okafor or Posey's contract. Posey's is shorter and he could contribute off the bench IMO so I'd prefer that and they may prefer to trade him since he's not even a starter. I could be wrong, Okafor's contract is worse so maybe they want to rid themselves of him. But they did just get him.

Murphy could accomplish giving them both a good player/shooter that spaces the floor for CP3 and can pick and pop, plus ridding themselves of Okafor's contract, picking up a young kid at 10 (or Rush), and then maybe(?) being a FA player in 2011? They could lure someone (possibly) to play alongside CP3, but IDK their whole cap situation.