Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839

Thread: World Cup 2010

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Default Re: World Cup 2010

yea i was confused why the refs were not enforcing the law regarding the players who try to pursuade the ref to show yellow cards to the opposition player...in Turkey they are very strict about enforcing that rule and it has helped a lot...players do not rush to the ref like they used to and have themselves a mini camp like the players were doing last night with the ref...

i don't think the ref had total control of the match to be honest - it was NOT the easiest match to refree - but it is what it is...

to put the whole blame on the ref though is not really the solution...specially when we've seen so many more worse situations earlier on in this world cup...

till Blatter leaves FIFA and we actually get someone proper to run the game and allow aid when it comes to officiating...this is what we're left with...

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i don't think the ref had total control of the match to be honest - it was NOT the easiest match to refree - but it is what it is...

to put the whole blame on the ref though is not really the solution...specially when we've seen so many more worse situations earlier on in this world cup...
    It was a very difficult match to referee, no question the man wasn't up to the task.

Also for the record I'm not putting the whole blame on the ref. We could have scored ourselves several times, the Spanish just as much aswell. Both teams could have been running around with 9 or 10 players. I do blame him for starting to throw all kinds of non-yellow cards around and keeping those in his pockets in likewise or worse situations the other way around.

And mostly I do blame him for screwing up three times in the two minutes leading up to the goal. I forgot to mention he forgot to give a card to a Spanish player who made a harsh foul aswell against one of our players. He got away completely clean. Were he Dutch he would have gotten a guaranteed yellow card. The yellow card against Robben and particularly the first one against Heitinga were utter crap.

So, to say he decided the game is a little far-fetched, but to deny that he didn't severely influence the game and it's outcome is just not true either.

Again just my own opinion.

Btw. Blatter should be send into retirement or something like that immediately. Ugh. Can't stand the senile little fart with his "the referee and the human element have to influence the game"-shyte.

PS: sorry just lost it a bit there
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Btw I want to, again, emphasize the respect I have for the Spanish team. The passing game they play is a beauty to the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    During that attack Ignieta was offside the first time his teammates tried to reach him with a pass, I think it was Torres, the ball deflected back and he then again reached for Ignieta, to dub that Ignieta wasn't a hindrance or actively participating during that first pass would be an absolute travesty.
    Iniesta (since that's his name, not "Ignieta") wasn't offside on the first pass.

And I understand the disappointment resulting from losing the final of the WC (has happened to me before), but Dutch players or fans have no business whatsoever complaining about the referee disfavoring them (complaining about the ref being bad overall is a different story).

De Jong, van Bommel and possibly Sneijder (for his tackle on Busquets) should have been sent off before half-time.

You do realize that Busquets and Ramos got the same punishment (yellow cards) in the first-half for fouls that weren't nearly as hard as the ones committed by De Jong and van Bommel, right?

Robben and van Persie also should have been carded for kicking the ball in the net after the ref had blown his whistle (Iniesta, on the other hand, did get carded for taking his shirt off after his goal). If some yellow cards were unwarranted, then these were the ones received by Spanish players.

Oh, and do you think Iniesta should have been sent off for his "shove" on van Bommel?

van Bommel is the biggest ***** in all of soccer, and is a disgrace both to this sport and to the Netherlands (or should be, at least). There's playing hard (see Gattuso, Heinze or Boulahrouz, for a Dutch example) and then there's playing dirty (see van Bommel, Materazzi or Lee Bowyer). There's no way anybody should be defending van Bommel.

It doesn't matter whether the dude is your brother, your idol or just your fellow countryman: soccer is worse off with players like van Bommel.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pingu For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    Iniesta (since that's his name, not "Ignieta") wasn't offside on the first pass.

And I understand the disappointment resulting from losing the final of the WC (has happened to me before), but Dutch players or fans have no business whatsoever complaining about the referee disfavoring them (complaining about the ref being bad overall is a different story).

De Jong, van Bommel and possibly Sneijder (for his tackle on Busquets) should have been sent off before half-time.

You do realize that Busquets and Ramos got the same punishment (yellow cards) in the first-half for fouls that weren't nearly as hard as the ones committed by De Jong and van Bommel, right?

Robben and van Persie also should have been carded for kicking the ball in the net after the ref had blown his whistle (Iniesta, on the other hand, did get carded for taking his shirt off after his goal). If some yellow cards were unwarranted, then these were the ones received by Spanish players.

Oh, and do you think Iniesta should have been sent off for his "shove" on van Bommel?

van Bommel is the biggest ***** in all of soccer, and is a disgrace both to this sport and to the Netherlands (or should be, at least). There's playing hard (see Gattuso, Heinze or Boulahrouz, for a Dutch example) and then there's playing dirty (see van Bommel, Materazzi or Lee Bowyer). There's no way anybody should be defending van Bommel.

It doesn't matter whether the dude is your brother, your idol or just your fellow countryman: soccer is worse off with players like van Bommel.

I just wrote:

2. the match was a HARD one, literally. De Jong could have been sent off, as could Van Bommel. However, I'm noticing a lot of media are mentioning THEM, but not Puyol and Ignietas, who just as likely could have been sent off. The former for hanging on to a broken through player and the latter for hitting another player (which is an automatic red card).

IMHO the first pass to Iniesta (sorry for the initial wrong spelling ) IS offside. It could be that I missed a sub rule on the offside rule, but I don't think I did. As far as I know it doesn't matter if the receiving player actually receives it or not. He's behind the last defender and actively participating in the game. Maybe I'm wrong, but if not then the goal should have been ruled offside (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0uFy23vR3s, after 1:03 sec).
    Again, I give you that De Jong and van Bommel could have had been sent off

Robben got a yellow card for complaining to the ref after he was grabbed from behind during a breakthrough the Spanish defence. Puyol? Nothing. Normally that gets you yellow atleast. Acceptable to you? Spanish players continously asking for cards? That's normal and totally acceptable to you? I remember people hitting on Robben for diving (and mostly rightfully so when he dived), but the same criticism applied to Iniesta is off-limits for some sort of reason? Ramos diving like hell? Totally cool?

Also thank you for showing that clip. Iniesta was clearly hurt, so hurt he was up and standing faster then I have ever seen someone get up after getting "hurt", clearly he was hurt... and I don't care what you call what he did to van Bommel there, but a yellow card at the least it is.

I don't care about what others think about van Bommel. To me he's a great defending midfielder who gets under opposing players skin if need be. He gives this team some extra grit when needed. All our great teams had players like that. Only having finesse players gets you nowhere. Besides a lot of those tackles he makes are hard, but by far most are on the ball. That's why a lot of times I don't get the hate he receives from english soccer fans. He's almost the prototypical hard defensive midfielder that English and particularly Italian teams love to have on their team. So, yes, I will defend him.

I thought De Jong is another great defensive midfielder, but almost always once a match he makes an unnessary hard foul. Not always redcard worthy, but twice this tournament he should have. The first in the match against Denmark and the second last night.

I think your remark about Schneijder deserving a red card... well let's just say if he deserved a red card then several Spanish players also deserved it. And I don't think they did either. Yellow? Absolutely.

Sure, Robben should have been carded for hitting the ball in the net. But, IF we start to get into those kind of formal fouls then again the pretty much half the Spanish team should have been send off asking for cards and diving.

I didn't get your comment on the error made by the referee just before the goal. The 100% corner that wasn't given and allowed a fast breakaway from the Spanish side.

But, I get it. The Dutch are the "dirty" team and the Spanish are the saints.

Btw this is final number three, so I think I can say I'm more then just a little dissappointed.

Eitherway, I don't want to make this a fight, so IF I offended you then I'm sorry, but it would be nice to see the critique on the Dutch team also applied to the dozens of Italian and German teams that played very conservative and a lot of times "hard". Or to the Brazilians in 1994 when they played like machines and relied on Romario and Bebeto up front to create. I'm seeing a lot of double standards applied when it comes to this Dutch team.

When we play the free flowing attacking and fast paced soccer we are praised but go out in the last 4 or 8 and get the "underachieving" remarks, usually after losing against a side that played like we did this tournament. IF we play more conservative, but get to the final we are boring or whatever the *****. It's getting really old and annoying.

One more thing. I also stated when all things are added up I think the Spanish team deserved it a little bit more. I have a lot of respect for that team, but that doesn't mean they were treated rather favourably the second half.

I totally forgot. That first card for Heitinga. Yellow? Deserved?

To me, the match boils down to these two incidents:

Robben's through on goal, and Puyol clearly holds him back. If he goes down, that's a foul and likely a straight red for the guilty party. Admirably, he stays on his feet for the attempt at goal and Puyol gets away with it.

Iniesta, also through on goal, goes down after the merest of touches on his shoulder by Heitinga. Red Card. Seven minutes later, Iniesta, who would have normally been covered by Heitinga, is open and grabs the winning goal.

Oh well. Such has been Spain's tournament.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I still have to insist that Span and Holland did not play the beautiful flowing soccer for which both nations have come to be known in that game.

Were the refs below average? yes, but no worse than they have been all tourney long. This was far from the worst officiated game of the tournament.

Spain and Holland both played not to lose as opposed to win this game. With the exception of Robben's two break aways the game was a snoozer and a disappointment, and Holland and Spain shouldn't get off the hook because the ref was poor. They played ugly soccer in this final. Frankly, Spain played ugly soccer through much of the tourney. Talent wise they deserved it, but they played well below their normal quality.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Eitherway, I don't want to make this a fight, so IF I offended you then I'm sorry, but it would be nice to see the critique on the Dutch team also applied to the dozens of Italian and German teams that played very conservative and a lot of times "hard". Or to the Brazilians in 1994 when they played like machines and relied on Romario and Bebeto up front to create. I'm seeing a lot of double standards applied when it comes to this Dutch team.
    Ok I don't want to make this a fight either, we obviously see things from very different angles.

Two things though:

- Iniesta really wasn't offside on the first pass from Torres:

At worst, he's on the same line as the last Oranje defender, and the ball is already well out of Torres' feet.

- Iniesta sure did flop, and so did van Bommel right afterward. But everybody flops in soccer, here's the proof :

ah come on man...why you gotta drag my team Galatasaray in to the fight?

I stayed out of this yesterday because I didn't want to reply to every post, but I feel in light of many comments, not just on here, but on other forums and reports of the press reaction in The Netherland, I want to put some backing to my views here.

I must start by saying I can understand the great disappointment of fans at losing a final. I find it massively disappointing when any team I support loses and knock out match, never mind the final of the world cup, so my condolences are sincere.

Firstly, some people are saying that Howard Webb was a poor choice for the final, I do not want to say that he was the only choice, but the choice of this trio of referees can very much be justified.

A large part of the reason this trio was selected was because of the linesmen. They have been extremely good in a world cup that has seen some truly dreadful decisions for offside. I know Mourning you claim that first ball was offside, I am sorry, I have watched in 4 or 5 times and in my mind there is no doubt at all, that when he makes contact with the ball for the pass there is no part of Iniesta's body that he his allowed to play the ball with that is beyond the final defender. He is onside, and I can't find an analyst that disagrees. These linesmen were throughout the tournement two of the best.

Howard himself is a very well respected referee who has been on the big stage before. He refereed the Champions league final, he was considered before this world cup as one of the best in the world. He then had a very solid world cup. This, along with the linesmens performance made him a very legitimate option.

Jose Mourinho openly said he is probably the best referee in the world with regard to his Champions league performances.

Now some statistics for him.

He is very unlikely to award red cards or penalties.
    This is statistically clear, particularly through this last season. Looking at the chamions league as that is a similar format to the world cup (people play differently in knock out games) he refereed in 7 games issuing no penalties and no red cards .... Now without watching all 7 of the games, we cannot judge weather these decisions were all correct, however, the arguement was put out before the final, that we do not want the world cup decided by a cheap red card or a cheap penalty.

Early cards.
    He tends not to issue early cards at all. Only 2 within the first 15 minutes in the 7 champions league games he refereed.

Yellow cards
    He issued 29 in 7 games during the Champions league, including the final where he issued 3 (ironicly one to Van Bommel). That is 4.1 yellows per game. Very slightly above average for the champions league but not in the top quartile for referees, and when you consider no reds he is almost exactly in the middle of the pack in terms of disaplinary action.

The teams.

Going into the final the two teams were on the oposite end of the foul spectrum. Spain had committed 62 fouls with 3 yellow cards, making them statistically the second cleanest team in the competition.

The Netherlands however had committed 98 fouls with 15 yellow cards, making them statistically the biggest fouling team in the competition (even taking into account the no. of games).

Admittedly thes statistcs cannot tell us anything about the match but they can tell us what to expect.

The Match.

Now, at great pain to my own brain and eyes, I have rewatched that final, to ensure that emotions etc. play as little part in my analysis as possible. Unfortunately, on second viewing, more than anything, it has cemented my views from the first viewing. This was a dreadful game of football.

The 3 earliest yellow cards.

Van Persie after 14 minutes. This was his second very poor tackle in 3 and a half minute. Each on their own could be justified as a yellow. In a final, with blood flowing, allowing the first to go is a good decision. Allowing the second to go would be paramount to having to allow the same level of leniency to everyone, which could have resulted in an even worse spectical, if that is indeed possible.

Puyol after 16 minutes. I must admit, I got this one mixed up in my head. This was actually a slide tackle on Robben as Robben collected the ball. It was late, with the studs up and cought Robben clean of the side of his ankle. If that is not a stone wall yellow card then leg breaks would be even more common.

Van Bommell after 22 minutes. This, as has been discussed was just simply unacceptable. I think in any other match it would be a straight red, but I think that something can be said of keeping played on the pitch in a world cup final where possible.

The other cards.
    De Jong (27 minutes) was without doubt a red. Can't really say any more on that.

Heitinga
    His first yellow (56 minutes) was a late tackle that I believe was of it's own right a yellow. Where I think Heitinga is unlucky is that he only committed 2 fouls in the game. Each getting a yellow. But unfortunately, this one was bad enough to warant it on its own.

His second was of more contraversy. By the letter of the law, as soon as he raises his hand and places it on the shoulder of the attacker, he is in trouble. Iniesta has gone down far too easily, and I dislike that aspect of the game massively. So yes, I think Iniesta is at fault there, but the referee has no choice. From his perspective, Heitinga had raised his arm and pulled back on Iniesta shoulder, Iniesta has gone down. There is no other alternative for Howard Webb. Iniesta should be ashamed of himself for gamesmanship, but that is part of the game now, regardless of how much individuals like me hate it.

This is made all the more contraversial by Robben, who to be fair to him, in a similar situation, stayed on his feet. Advantage was played and Robben missed the chance. His reaction, however, equally has no part in football and deserved to be punished. I must say, on one hand I am impressed he stayed up (although a large part of that I bet was because he thought he would score), but the other part of me thinks his reaction was disgraceful.

Sneijder on Busquets in the 42nd minute. Was given a foul and a stern talking to. I include this, because there could have been more cards. I think this was a yellow as well, and some say it should have been a red.

Also a quick mention of Van Bommel Leaving his foot in on Iniesta, i think if this is seen it's another yello, before Iniesta got up and took the law into his own hands. He didn't hit Van Bommel, or infact barge him hard enough to knock him over, but the reaction inself deserved the yellow.

Anyway, enough examples, I have writen down all the cards and some of the other incidents here. I would like to know any examples of where a card cannot be justified by the laws of football, because in my eyes, I would not be able to argue against many of them.

The aftermath.
    My point in this post is not to make Howard Webb out as the perfect referee. He isn't. Nor to say he had a perfect game. He didn't (missing that corner was nothing short of a farce). But I simply want to make the point that he had little choice in this game but issue those cards and make the decisions he did. It was dictated to him by the players.

Referees have a near impossible job. Howard Webb is one of the best in the world, yet he struggled because of the nature of the game. Referees have come out supporting his performance, many saying they are glad they didn't have to try and control the game. Mark Lawrence refered to some of the players behaviour as child like.

The referees association put out a statement saying "Howard Controlled the game firmly but with sympathy. It would be almost impossible to disagree with any of the yellow cards he issued."

I do not think that there is a place in football for the way the The Netherlands played that match. I do not expect them to play "Total Football" if that is not the best style for their team. But I do think that the tackles and their apparent attitude was acceptable. You can play hard solid football without going to the extent the Dutch did this weekend. Conservative solid, defence driven football does not need to include dangerous tackles and constant fouling. For the record, I would rather suport a free flowing football team that "underachieved" in the eyes of the public than a team that went beyond what is acceptable for the game in my eyes.

I do not want to get personal or attack any posters and I hope I havn't offended anyone in this post. I think it is an interesting discussion and debate, that hopefully we can have in a contructive way, without reducing it to a petty level.

As always, Just my opinions.
    'All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.'
    Animal Farm, by George Orwell

Forget all that if you wish and take it from arguably the greatest Dutch player in history

Johan Cruyff said of this game
    Of course I'm not hanging all 11 of them by the same rope, but almost. They didn't want the ball. And regrettably, sadly, they played very dirty. So much so that they should have been down to nine immediately, then they made two ugly and hard tackles that even I felt the damage.

It hurts me that I was wrong in my disagreement, that instead Holland chose an ugly path to aim for the title. This ugly, vulgar, hard, hermetic, hardly eye-catching, hardly football style, yes it served the Dutch to unsettle Spain. If with his they got satisfaction, fine, but they ended up losing. They were playing anti-football.

i too don't think there was offside but i can't believe that the refs did not see some of the "corners" which should've been given to Netherlands...

and that was my main gripe with the refs more than anything...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:

I retract the offside statement. I was wrong. I think saw it from another angle, which certainly made it look offside. It was not offside.

Regarding Cruyff let me say this:
    I respect the mans accomplishments both as a player and a coach. He comments immense respect throughout our whole country. He's also pretty broadly seen as an icon with a vision on how The Netherlands should play that's attractive to the eye and very offensive-minded. He wants to play with 3 defenders for example. In modernday football that equals committing suicide.

He's also widely known for giving his critism and opinion, but never to have accepted the coaching job for The Netherlands, twice being asked and twice after lengthy consideration turning it down. Now I don't like to attack him, but the way he wanted us to play we probably would have been lucky to have gotten out of the group fase, so I'm sorry for not falling for his opinion when it comes to him and how The Netherlands should play. If it were up to him defenders would be practically attackers just further away from the goal. It's like he's stuck in the 70's regarding the national team. But, maybe he knows it better and just for fun the Dutch national soccer association (KNVB) should just offer him the job again, fully knowing he'll shy away from it again, because critisizing from the sidelines is so much more convenient and easy then actually taking up the challenge yourself.

I also want to understate that he has HUGE roots with Spain aswell, so he could just pick what he likes best between these two sides.

He brings enormous knowhow and wisdom to the game, but when it comes to this, yeah, I ignore him with a light smile on my face, like millions of countrymen do.

On a sidenote. I've truly had enough with getting knocked out prematurely, but playing entertaining soccer. Let others play that entertainment role for 30 years like we have done. I would say it's almost our right to play more defensive and much more result oriented now. I would prefer beautifull soccer too, but you know all those German, Italian teams playing UGLY soccer... they did win it all those times. We haven't won a single time with our beautifull soccer. Not once.

So, to me and a lot of others here it's: results first, nice soccer later. And if it's a good result and ugly soccer then good. Losing with beautifull soccer, no thank you, been there, done that since 1974. Time for another team to do that now.

Going to those WC finals three times, ending up with 0 wins, don't mind me being a bit bitter about it.

Also I think there wasn't much advantage to be gained by Robben when he was grabbed by Puyol anymore, because Casillas (superb keeper btw) was allready upon him. It's totally moronic a player would have to fall to get that defender that yellow card. He was clearly touched and hindred on a breakthrough play. That should be an automatic yellow.

Wasn't Webb also the ref who screwed Poland over bigtime in the last European Championship? Not sure.
    Last edited by Mourning; 07-13-2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: spellcheck

Quote Originally Posted by The Hustler View Post
    I do not want to get personal or attack any posters and I hope I havn't offended anyone in this post. I think it is an interesting discussion and debate, that hopefully we can have in a contructive way, without reducing it to a petty level.

As always, Just my opinions.
    And I respect your opinion, but your summary was rather one-sided when it came to fouling. The Spanish I guess deserved only one yellow card (Puyol)? Let's say I don't aggree with only bringing up Dutch fouls and then bring forward one Spanish foul to compensate .
    Last edited by Mourning; 07-13-2010 at 11:34 AM.

And I respect your opinion, but your summary was rather one-sided when it came to fouling. The Spanish I guess deserved only one yellow card (Puyol)? Let's say I don't aggree with only bringing up Dutch fouls and then bring forward one Spanish foul to compensate .
    Sorry, I didn't intend to only bring up one spanish foul (although if i want to be picky i can point out that I said iniesta deserved one too ). I stand that from what I saw the spanish cards were justified as well the dutch ones. I have writen down in my notes two bad challenges from Ramos and I also should note that Busquets committed 5 fouls, a number only matched by Van Bommel (also 5).

Interestingly, Netherland commited 28 fouls and Spain 19. Every outfield player to play for The Netherlands committed at least 1 foul.

So yes, I apologise for mainly bringing up the bad tackles by the Dutch. Neither team were faultless. But I must say I thought the dutch were the worse culprits.

On a nicer note for everyone not English like me ... I feel after my ranting I should say both teams clearly played better throughout the World Cup than we did. As frustrated as I was by the tackling of particularly the dutch in the final, at least they held defensive positions with disipline most of the time and were able to pass the ball consitently over 10 yards. This is more than we could do.

Sorry, I didn't intend to only bring up one spanish foul (although if i want to be picky i can point out that I said iniesta deserved one too )
    Hehe. Ok, true .

So yes, I apologise for mainly bringing up the bad tackles by the Dutch. Neither team were faultless. But I must say I thought the dutch were the worse culprits.
    Agreed. But, reading from the international press it's like we were the ONLY culprits, I do take issue with that .

On a nicer note for everyone not English like me ... I feel after my ranting I should say both teams clearly played better throughout the World Cup than we did. As frustrated as I was by the tackling of particularly the dutch in the final, at least they held defensive positions with disipline most of the time and were able to pass the ball consitently over 10 yards. This is more than we could do.
    I was actually amused by one of your papers, I think it was the Daily Telegraph, which wrote "Dutch soccer is dead". IF Dutch soccer is dead after reaching the finals then what does that make English soccer?

I was actually amused by one of your papers, I think it was the Daily Telegraph, which wrote "Dutch soccer is dead". IF Dutch soccer is dead after reaching the finals then what does that make English soccer?
    I must admit that is amusing. I can't comment on the rest of that article as I read the Times, but I think that Dutch Total football is dead. I think that was inevitable, a shame for the neutral, but completely understandable.

English football (I can't bring myself to call it soccer) hasn't existed for decades. English football in the true sense would most likely have made the Dutch team this weekend look soft. Not for sliding in or anything like that, but shoulder checking, powerful tackles and a fairly large amount of personal abuse.

I also want to understate that he has HUGE roots with Spain aswell, so he could just pick what he likes best between these two sides.
    I thought it was a given that Cruyff was rooting for Spain to win the WC? Was it not the way his stance was perceived in the Netherlands?

I mean, he practically is Catalonian. He's lived in Barcelona for more or less 30 years, his son's name is Jordi (Catalonian for "George", the protecting saint of Catalonia), and until recently he was the honorary president of FC Barcelona. And he writes a weekly column for the Vanguardia, Barcelona's most important daily newspaper.

Heck he even coaches the Catalonian "national" team, which boasts many players from the Spanish national team (Valdes, Pique, Puyol, Busquets, Xavi and Capdevilla, for those who were on Spain's WC squad).

And Spain's playing style pretty much is Barcelona's, and Barcelona's current playing style is the direct result of the time Cruyff spent there as a coach in the early 90s.

I don't know, if I was Dutch I might consider him to be somewhat of a traitor to his own country.

Well... that would be too harsh. He does write columns here aswell, regularly gives comments on Dutch tv like forexample Shearer does on the BBC.

He has been letting his opinion on the Dutch national team known way too much for years now, so I saw those comments of him coming. He looks pretty opportunistic to me.

Btw his son, Jordi, also played for the Dutch national team (luckily not very long ).

I don't dislike the man at all, but I do take his opinion when it comes to our national team with a HUGE TRAINLOAD of salt .

yes this game needs three umpires........................................... ....