Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: riff raff from now resolved disagreement

Mood

Default Re: The 2010 PD Forum Awards! (Nominations and Discussion)

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think context is important here. I don't think Sweabs was trying to implly being offended at the use of the term "non-american", just saying "hey, as long as we are changing stuff, couldn't we figure out a better term for this?"

If someone was actually offended by that, I would also find it pretty stupid... I don't think that was the idea.
    You probably wouldn't drop a cryptic response that could be easily misinterpreted as "you're a bigot".

Mood

I didn't read it as you being called a bigot.
    Yeah, I know; I did. And I was the target of the comment. That's a bad combination.

With all due respect, it seems to me that you were the first person to imply that someone's line of thinking was "wrong" by calling the request "highly, highly, oversensitive". Is that not a bit of a "veiled accusation" in itself? I found your response to be a lot more oversensitive than the initial idea, which was to find a more accurate terminology to describe a poster not from America.

I think you are reading a little too much into the supposed "implications" of his post. I think you were both making implications from the get go.

Calling him oversensitive was probably not nice, but I totally get where Hicks is coming from. Let's look back at his posts—

The fact that you took the time to reply to such a request at all (and in the manner you did) is quite telling.
    I'm really quite surprised that you're arguing this point. And, like I said - the fact that you have taken offense to this small change is - well, that would be unPD territory.
    Knowing sweabs, I feel like "you're a bigot" is not at all what he meant, but, man, that sure wouldn't be a huge leap to make, given the way these posts were worded. Also, Hicks had actually said that he was cool with the International Fan suggestion, so sweabs's whole angle here (that Hicks was adamant about not changing it) is kind of not true, and if I were the recipient of it it'd probably aggravate me quite a bit.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

aww, come on guys this was a fun thread.

Can I suggest perhaps a good nights sleep and some rethinking about the situation in the morning?

I'm a younger person, but what I've learned, repeatedly..is that communication is important. Perhaps talking it out via pm instead of ..well..the silent treatment..would be a better option.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    You probably wouldn't drop a cryptic response that could be easily misinterpreted as "you're a bigot".
    Ultimately this all comes down to interpretations of things that were "Implied" but not actually said. I imagine Sweabs will be given a chance to "clarify" those implications at some point, and this will probably get smoothed over eventually. I personally don't think it was quite as malicious as how you read it, but communicating via the internet leaves a lot to be desired in terms of reading the tone of a conversation. I mean, really, people can't even seem to get sarcasm right.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

I think context is important here. I don't think Sweabs was trying to implly being offended at the use of the term "non-american", just saying "hey, as long as we are changing stuff, couldn't we figure out a better term for this?"

If someone was actually offended by that, I would also find it pretty stupid... I don't think that was the idea.
    I think this is correct. And really, if this was an award that rcarey/n8r/etc. have been eligible for before (have they?), then it needed to be changed anyway (as it would mean something more like non-US fan).

But later, I think sweabs read Hicks's "defense" of non-American as something more than it was, which IMO was ungenerous. The really cool thing to do in criticism these days is to read something in bad faith, and then to be totally AMAZED at how CRAZY things get when you read in bad faith. And while I may be off-base here, I honestly believe that sweabs's vague claims regarding how the way Hicks responded was "telling" of his character are a product of that collective mindset.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Hoy cow. I didn't notice the kid got banned.

That just makes me sad. I can only hope for a reversal.
    Agreed. I can't believe something so innocent and fun as the forum awards ended in that...sad. I can understand Hicks being upset, but I hope an attempt was at least made to bring it to a better conclusion before the banhammer was brought into it.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 06-01-2010 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Had a typo meant to say can...oops

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I can't believe the word Bigot has made a comeback, I thought it died in the 60's....

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GO!!!!! For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Being labeled highly sensitive does not equate to being labeled a bigot.

Sure, but one of us made a post that could be interpreted as "You're a bigot", and the other one did not.
    Would you not be offended if someone called you over-sensitive due to one suggestion? Generally I don't want to get involved in this because I'm not an admin and it's not my place, but I'm not sure your original comment was warranted or necessary to Sweabs original point.

I can understand being upset at being called a bigot, but it seems it escalated unnecessarily. Just my opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Would you not be offended if someone called you over-sensitive due to one suggestion? Generally I don't want to get involved in this because I'm not an admin and it's not my place, but I'm not sure your original comment was warranted or necessary to Sweabs original point.

I can understand being upset at being called a bigot, but it seems it escalated unnecessarily. Just my opinion though.
    Sweabs never called him that, never brought up the word.

Quote Originally Posted by N8R View Post
    Sweabs never called him that, never brought up the word.
    True, just operating off the premise of what offended Hicks.

Glad cooler heads got it sorted out.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Default Re: riff raff from now resolved disagreement