Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49

Thread: Current Pacers roster

  1. #1
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,213

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Current Pacers roster

    Big IF, but if no moves are made the roster as is, could it win the central, bron leaves for NY or Miami. Cavs, Pistons, Bucks, Bulls are good but not great, and the pacers relatively healthy could make some strides. i mean we did lose Foster, Dunleavy, Hansbrough for the entire season. if Dunleavy returns to form why could this team not win 40+ and compete in the central.

    PG: Ford, Price, Jones (may have to play point)
    SG: Rush, Dunleavy, Stephenson
    SF: Granger, George
    PF: Murphy, Hansbrough, McBob
    C: Hibbert, Foster, Solo, Rolle

    obviously we need to upgrade at pg and we have several versatile wings, along with a deep frontcourt. I dont think its unreasonable to believe this team could win 40+ and make a run at the playoffs.

    maybe make a deal at the deadline involving some expirings acquiring a point gaurd if not sooner, and suddenly this team could contend.

    only negative might be JOB would get extended another year, but Bird has said before a coach should only be around for bout 3 years, cant see him lasting more than 5 unless we really go deep into the playoffs.

    a healthy squad could begin to fill some seats in Conseco, and a trade or two turn this team into a darkhorse.

    The East is not overall that strong. we could match up against a team like Orlando with the deep front court.

    is 40+ wins and contending for the Central division out of the question if Bron goes elsewhere?

  2. #2
    Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,263
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Current Pacers roster

    Not if he goes to Chicago....

  3. #3
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,195
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Current Pacers roster

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Big IF, but if no moves are made the roster as is, could it win the central, bron leaves for NY or Miami. Cavs, Pistons, Bucks, Bulls are good but not great, and the pacers relatively healthy could make some strides. i mean we did lose Foster, Dunleavy, Hansbrough for the entire season. if Dunleavy returns to form why could this team not win 40+ and compete in the central.

    PG: Ford, Price, Jones (may have to play point)
    SG: Rush, Dunleavy, Stephenson
    SF: Granger, George
    PF: Murphy, Hansbrough, McBob
    C: Hibbert, Foster, Solo, Rolle

    obviously we need to upgrade at pg and we have several versatile wings, along with a deep frontcourt. I dont think its unreasonable to believe this team could win 40+ and make a run at the playoffs.

    maybe make a deal at the deadline involving some expirings acquiring a point gaurd if not sooner, and suddenly this team could contend.

    only negative might be JOB would get extended another year, but Bird has said before a coach should only be around for bout 3 years, cant see him lasting more than 5 unless we really go deep into the playoffs.

    a healthy squad could begin to fill some seats in Conseco, and a trade or two turn this team into a darkhorse.

    The East is not overall that strong. we could match up against a team like Orlando with the deep front court.

    is 40+ wins and contending for the Central division out of the question if Bron goes elsewhere?
    Honestly, yes, winning the Central is out of the question even if Cleveland loses Lebron. I mean we have George and Hansbrough inserted, but unless something major is done we are still a below average team. As constructed look at our lineup;

    PG- Ford- terrible
    SG- Rush- well below avg shooting guard
    SF- Granger- top 7 SG in the league
    PF- Murphy- average at best PF when it is all said and done
    C- Hibbert- average

    I mean we are clearly above average at one position and well below average at the other two. Our bench of Price, Hansbrough, McBob, George, and others is nothing to write home about either.

    Milwaukee and Chicago are clearly better than us even if Lebron goes to NY.

  4. #4
    The Sweet Sound Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    266

    Default Re: Current Pacers roster

    Whoa. Win the Central? Wasn't this same exact team terrible last year?

  5. #5
    Member crunk-juice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Purdue
    Posts
    1,291
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Current Pacers roster

    no way. it would be a miracle to pass .500 honestly.

  6. #6
    Batman's New Side Kick Psyren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,586

    Default Re: Current Pacers roster

    That's also operating under the assumption that Price makes the team because he doesn't have a guaranteed contract.

    However, I'm not sure how bad his injury is.

  7. #7
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,213

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Current Pacers roster

    if healthy, i think the pacers can win 40 games. Dun, Foster, Hansbrough could add alot to this team, with continued improvment from Hibbert and hopefully Rush.

    how come Dahntay Jones is not considered more as an option at pg. he has a pg frame, and he only needs to setup the offense, ie distribute to granger, Dunleavy, Rush, George, Murphy.

    defensively im confident Jones can gaurd point gaurds. as addressed in another thread, maybe we are not as desparate to acquire a pg as it appears. TJ is not horrible, he just needs to pass quicker to the above mentioned. and Jones offers defense at the point gaurd position. at least he should since that was our purpose of bringing him here.

    i see no reason why the team as is cannot compete for a 6th seed in the playoffs when healthy.

    point is.. lets not be hasty and acquire a pg who is not going to be the leader of this team for the next 5 years. Dun, Foster, Hansbrough and improvement in Hibbert and Rush in addition to scoring off the bench with George could net this team a 6th seed in the playoffs.

    and with expirings next offseason we could be agressive with other teams players.



    Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Honestly, yes, winning the Central is out of the question even if Cleveland loses Lebron. I mean we have George and Hansbrough inserted, but unless something major is done we are still a below average team. As constructed look at our lineup;

    PG- Ford- terrible
    SG- Rush- well below avg shooting guard
    SF- Granger- top 7 SG in the league
    PF- Murphy- average at best PF when it is all said and done
    C- Hibbert- average

    I mean we are clearly above average at one position and well below average at the other two. Our bench of Price, Hansbrough, McBob, George, and others is nothing to write home about either.

    Milwaukee and Chicago are clearly better than us even if Lebron goes to NY.

  8. #8
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,213

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Current Pacers roster

    Quote Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whoa. Win the Central? Wasn't this same exact team terrible last year?
    but were not the same exact team. Dunleavy, Foster, Hansbrough missed the entire season. i expect Hibbert and Rush to improve. and we added scoring off the bench in George.

    i remember we beat some really good teams last year. i just dont think its all doom and gloom if we dont acquire a point guard.

    secondly, i see no reason why jones cannot backup TJ and split minutes. he is not going to play the wing much with Rush, Dun, George getting the majority of minutes.

    Jones might not be a pure point gaurd, but i trust he can gaurd them.

  9. #9
    Tyrant maragin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,216

    Default Re: Current Pacers roster

    I lack the sunshine to properly contribute to this thread.

  10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to maragin For This Useful Post:


  11. #10
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,213

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Current Pacers roster

    Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's also operating under the assumption that Price makes the team because he doesn't have a guaranteed contract.

    However, I'm not sure how bad his injury is.
    true.. 4-6 months is what ive heard. bring in a guy like livingston or even resign watson.

    and again, whats wrong with Jones playing point? he will not get time on the wing.

  12. #11
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,195
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Current Pacers roster

    PP

    Don't get me wrong, I love the spirit and optimism, it is great. I and others are just being realistic here. It ain't happening. Although I would love to be wrong, I don't think I will be. With our current roster and good health we are a 35 win team. If everyone stays healthy and if everyone has a great year we MAY be a 41-42 win team, but that is it.

  13. #12
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,195
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Current Pacers roster

    Nothing is wrong with Jones playing point, he is just not a point guard. It is the equivalent of Granger playing center.

    Passing and ball handeling are not Jones strengths, nor is shooting. Dhantay is an iso player and would be quite frankly horrid trying to run pick and roll.

  14. #13
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,213

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Current Pacers roster

    no disrepect but i disagree. a healthy Dun, Foster, and Hansbrough in addition to Hibbert and Rush improvement gives this team a very deep albeit not superiorly talented roster. i remember the season before last this team seemed to compete every game, we lost a helluva alot of close games at the buzzer if i recall correctly. so what changed last year?

    Dun was out, Foster was out, Hansbrough our top draft pick was out, and too much was put on Granger, hence the injuries. Hibbert will show improvement and if Rush is ever gonna have a breakout season this is going to be it. add some firepower in George off the bench and i see no reason this team cannot win 40.

    maybe i am overvaluing Dun's ability to make the offense run more efficiently, or Fosters leadership, and the hustle, energy, toughness, intelligence, rebounding that Hansbrough gives us.

    these guys really contributed next to nothing last year and they are key role players.


    Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    PP
    Don't get me wrong, I love the spirit and optimism, it is great. I and others are just being realistic here. It ain't happening. Although I would love to be wrong, I don't think I will be. With our current roster and good health we are a 35 win team. If everyone stays healthy and if everyone has a great year we MAY be a 41-42 win team, but that is it.
    Last edited by PacersPride; 06-26-2010 at 11:51 PM.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,644

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Current Pacers roster

    Wow. I've heard of sunshining, but this gives the word a whole new meaning.

    Without additonal players, this team will probably not win more than 35 games. And, if we have a few injuries during the season, they won't be lucky enough to close the season on a winning streak like we saw at the end of the previous season. So we may not even see 30 wins.

    Just because we have 7 players playing PF/C, that does not make it DEEP. Having decent starters and QUALITY players off the bench would make it deep. We do not have that.

    To be honest, if we don't make at least one significant trade using one of our expiring contracts to get a decent player, preferably a PG, before the season starts, the worst possible thing for the team would be for them to somehow be in the 8th position or near it as the February trade deadline approaches.

    I say that because Bird has announced that his primary objective is to make the playoffs... that is always his objective. You put Bird in a position that the playoffs appear to be within reach as the trade deadline approaches, he may be tempted to leave the roster as is instead of wisely using some of his expiring contracts to acquire one or two players.

    That would mean that we would rely totally on being able to use our cap space to get good players next summer. I believe we can improve our roster in this manner, but will probably not make significant strides since the better free agents might not choose to come to Indy.

    So be a sunshiner if you must, but I believe that a roster left intact as the season opens is just about the worst of all possible scenarios.

  16. #15
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,213

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Current Pacers roster

    Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nothing is wrong with Jones playing point, he is just not a point guard. It is the equivalent of Granger playing center.

    Passing and ball handeling are not Jones strengths, nor is shooting. Dhantay is an iso player and would be quite frankly horrid trying to run pick and roll.

    hell the lakers dont even use a traditional point gaurd in their offense. if jones cannot dribble the ball up the floor and pass it to Granger, Dun, Rush, George to initiate the offense then he worthless.

    im not asking Jones to break down the defense like Rondo, shoot lights out, or pass like Deron Williams. just bring the ball up the court and intiate offense, and PLAY SOLID DEFENSE which i know he is capable of. in fact that is why i suggested it, cause i believe Jones can D up any pg in the league, at least he should be able to since he was signed as a defensive specialist.

    let TJ and Jones split the pg assignment. our strength this year will be the wings and deep front court.

    all im saying is, if we dont make a deal for a pg, we still may be a competitive team to watch, much like 2 seasons ago. im hoping we do land Collison, but i dont wannna see us get fleeced because were desparate to replace Ford.

  17. #16
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,213

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Current Pacers roster

    Sunshining?? maybe if i said win 50. i hope a move is made, but as the team stands i dont think were as bad as some teams in the east.

    i hope we can acquire a point gaurd, but giving up Rush to do it seems a bit premature as some have suggested.

    the focus needs to be moving Murphy, Ford, Dunleavy, and Foster; if we cannot find a PG/PF for those players we should keep the roster as is. excluding an obvious no-brainer deal of course.

    i guess im looking long term and like the Granger, Rush, George trio.


    Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow. I've heard of sunshining, but this gives the word a whole new meaning.

    Without additonal players, this team will probably not win more than 35 games. And, if we have a few injuries during the season, they won't be lucky enough to close the season on a winning streak like we saw at the end of the previous season. So we may not even see 30 wins.

    Just because we have 7 players playing PF/C, that does not make it DEEP. Having decent starters and QUALITY players off the bench would make it deep. We do not have that.

    To be honest, if we don't make at least one significant trade using one of our expiring contracts to get a decent player, preferably a PG, before the season starts, the worst possible thing for the team would be for them to somehow be in the 8th position or near it as the February trade deadline approaches.

    I say that because Bird has announced that his primary objective is to make the playoffs... that is always his objective. You put Bird in a position that the playoffs appear to be within reach as the trade deadline approaches, he may be tempted to leave the roster as is instead of wisely using some of his expiring contracts to acquire one or two players.

    That would mean that we would rely totally on being able to use our cap space to get good players next summer. I believe we can improve our roster in this manner, but will probably not make significant strides since the better free agents might not choose to come to Indy.

    So be a sunshiner if you must, but I believe that a roster left intact as the season opens is just about the worst of all possible scenarios.

  18. #17
    Member BornReady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,740

    Default Re: Current Pacers roster

    lol dont worry guys
    we WILL have more pg options come the start of this season
    and im not sunshining, im actually being realistic
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

  19. #18
    The Sweet Sound Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    266

    Default Re: Current Pacers roster

    I guess in the perfect world where Dun, Foster, and Hans all play all season and don't get injured, we could be better. It probably won't go down that way, though.

  20. #19
    STRAIGHT UP pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,011
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Current Pacers roster

    Winning the Central? No.
    Winning 40 games? Possible
    Sneaking into the playoffs? Possible.

    I would like to see Hans get healthy, Rush "put it together," and P.G exceed expectations. We'll probably actually see one of those three things, so it'll be a challenge to get the 6th seed (that's putting it nicely). Making a deal to get a real point guard in here, whether before the season or at the deadline - that would get us in the playoffs a little easier. And using Murphy or Ford (or both lease: ) in that deal would really help.

    We're currently looking at another season floating around .500. A couple games under or over with a shot at the playoffs. But with the pieces we have in expiring contracts, we should be able to make a move that makes this a competitive team.

    --pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

    @The_Real_CJake

  21. #20

    Default Re: Current Pacers roster

    My outlook hasn't changed much from this time last year. Basically the same team. If healthy, it could challenge for the 7th or 8th seed. Getting Foster and Hansbrough back adds much-needed aggressiveness and offensive boards, which were probably key to losing at least 5-7 games last year. Obviously my optimism isn't shared by the pundits. I think Sporting News rated us next-to-last for the 2010-2011 season.

  22. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,926

    Default Re: Current Pacers roster

    Honestly with the players we have, we could win the central. The problem though isn't the players, but the coach.

    PG:
    Ford is the best PG on the team. The problem with him is less his skill, and more of how he fits within the system. It just isn't a system that he fits with. If JOB decided to change his system to fit more around the kind of PG Ford is not only would it improve how Ford played, but it would improve the team. Price is hard to tell with his injury. After that we have offensively possibly the best main on the team for this position in Dunleavy. If he brought the ball up as the PG it would greatly improve this team. His problem is defense, we would need someone else on the floor to guard the other teams PG, Jones.

    SG:
    We have some nice pieces here, but nothing we can count on. Rush can be good, but is too inconsistent to really trust, and George is still an unknown. Jones is the only one we can really know what to expect. Really all we have hear as of right now are good back-ups to borderline starters. On a better team they would probably appear to be better players, but on a bad team they don't preform as well.

    SF:
    Defiantly our strongest position with Granger. Then Rush, George, and Dun can all play SF, and would all be decent back-ups.

    PF:
    Murphy is a SF playing PF, and that is the problem. Right now the best PF on this team is McBob. That may not be saying much, but if he got major minutes at PF this team would instantly improve. It may not be a lot by itself, but if O'Brien started to play the true PF's here and changed his system to fit the players it would create a big improvement in the team. Hansbrough is still an unknown. I was completely unimpressed with his play last year, but it is a knew year. Foster, if healthy, is on a decline, but can still give quality minutes at this position.

    C:
    Our second strongest position as far as starters go with Hibbert. He should be better, and is becoming the presence we need underneath. Like Ford he really doesn't fit the system that O'Brien likes. He is slow, and mechanical.


    So really at three positions we have players who are at the very least average starters, one position that has borderline starters, and another where we really only have back-ups. Honestly, if used properly that will get you a low playoffs spot. The problem is O'Brien doesn't focus enough on defense, and doesn't have a system in place that fits his players. This has caused a decent player in TJ to look like a ****ty player, Granger's shooting percentage has suffered from taking too many 3's and the team being too reliant on him, and Hibbert not being able to play to his full ability. The problem is those are the three main guys to this team; your PG, your star wing, and your "dominate" big man. If you have quality players at those positions, you should be able to more or less plug players into the other two positions and be a decent team, not championship but decent. Yet this team has struggles because the coach and the players do not fit well together.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  24. #22
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,213

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Current Pacers roster

    agree completely with your comments on JOB. was thinking this earlier, the guy is so hellbent on playing his type of system it is detrimental to the team. i wish Carlisle was still coaching, he would be a perfect coach for this team. good coaches adjust to the players, and it doesnt appear that JOB is willing to do that at all. in some ways he is ruining this team by telling them to play loyola marymount type of basketball.

    curious, what did not impress you with Hansbrough?


    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Honestly with the players we have, we could win the central. The problem though isn't the players, but the coach.

    PG:
    Ford is the best PG on the team. The problem with him is less his skill, and more of how he fits within the system. It just isn't a system that he fits with. If JOB decided to change his system to fit more around the kind of PG Ford is not only would it improve how Ford played, but it would improve the team. Price is hard to tell with his injury. After that we have offensively possibly the best main on the team for this position in Dunleavy. If he brought the ball up as the PG it would greatly improve this team. His problem is defense, we would need someone else on the floor to guard the other teams PG, Jones.

    SG:
    We have some nice pieces here, but nothing we can count on. Rush can be good, but is too inconsistent to really trust, and George is still an unknown. Jones is the only one we can really know what to expect. Really all we have hear as of right now are good back-ups to borderline starters. On a better team they would probably appear to be better players, but on a bad team they don't preform as well.

    SF:
    Defiantly our strongest position with Granger. Then Rush, George, and Dun can all play SF, and would all be decent back-ups.

    PF:
    Murphy is a SF playing PF, and that is the problem. Right now the best PF on this team is McBob. That may not be saying much, but if he got major minutes at PF this team would instantly improve. It may not be a lot by itself, but if O'Brien started to play the true PF's here and changed his system to fit the players it would create a big improvement in the team. Hansbrough is still an unknown. I was completely unimpressed with his play last year, but it is a knew year. Foster, if healthy, is on a decline, but can still give quality minutes at this position.

    C:
    Our second strongest position as far as starters go with Hibbert. He should be better, and is becoming the presence we need underneath. Like Ford he really doesn't fit the system that O'Brien likes. He is slow, and mechanical.


    So really at three positions we have players who are at the very least average starters, one position that has borderline starters, and another where we really only have back-ups. Honestly, if used properly that will get you a low playoffs spot. The problem is O'Brien doesn't focus enough on defense, and doesn't have a system in place that fits his players. This has caused a decent player in TJ to look like a ****ty player, Granger's shooting percentage has suffered from taking too many 3's and the team being too reliant on him, and Hibbert not being able to play to his full ability. The problem is those are the three main guys to this team; your PG, your star wing, and your "dominate" big man. If you have quality players at those positions, you should be able to more or less plug players into the other two positions and be a decent team, not championship but decent. Yet this team has struggles because the coach and the players do not fit well together.

  25. #23
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,195
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Current Pacers roster

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Honestly with the players we have, we could win the central. The problem though isn't the players, but the coach.

    PG:
    Ford is the best PG on the team. The problem with him is less his skill, and more of how he fits within the system. It just isn't a system that he fits with. If JOB decided to change his system to fit more around the kind of PG Ford is not only would it improve how Ford played, but it would improve the team. Price is hard to tell with his injury. After that we have offensively possibly the best main on the team for this position in Dunleavy. If he brought the ball up as the PG it would greatly improve this team. His problem is defense, we would need someone else on the floor to guard the other teams PG, Jones.

    SG:
    We have some nice pieces here, but nothing we can count on. Rush can be good, but is too inconsistent to really trust, and George is still an unknown. Jones is the only one we can really know what to expect. Really all we have hear as of right now are good back-ups to borderline starters. On a better team they would probably appear to be better players, but on a bad team they don't preform as well.

    SF:
    Defiantly our strongest position with Granger. Then Rush, George, and Dun can all play SF, and would all be decent back-ups.

    PF:
    Murphy is a SF playing PF, and that is the problem. Right now the best PF on this team is McBob. That may not be saying much, but if he got major minutes at PF this team would instantly improve. It may not be a lot by itself, but if O'Brien started to play the true PF's here and changed his system to fit the players it would create a big improvement in the team. Hansbrough is still an unknown. I was completely unimpressed with his play last year, but it is a knew year. Foster, if healthy, is on a decline, but can still give quality minutes at this position.

    C:
    Our second strongest position as far as starters go with Hibbert. He should be better, and is becoming the presence we need underneath. Like Ford he really doesn't fit the system that O'Brien likes. He is slow, and mechanical.


    So really at three positions we have players who are at the very least average starters, one position that has borderline starters, and another where we really only have back-ups. Honestly, if used properly that will get you a low playoffs spot. The problem is O'Brien doesn't focus enough on defense, and doesn't have a system in place that fits his players. This has caused a decent player in TJ to look like a ****ty player, Granger's shooting percentage has suffered from taking too many 3's and the team being too reliant on him, and Hibbert not being able to play to his full ability. The problem is those are the three main guys to this team; your PG, your star wing, and your "dominate" big man. If you have quality players at those positions, you should be able to more or less plug players into the other two positions and be a decent team, not championship but decent. Yet this team has struggles because the coach and the players do not fit well together.
    So you are pinning our problems entirely on O'Brien? That is absurd. As Jeff Van Gundy says, it is a players league, and it is a make or miss league. Ford's problem is not O'Brien. Ford drives the ball constantly, puts himself in bad positions and throws up ill advised shots. That is on TJ Ford, not Jim O'Brien.

    And what is up with everyone thinking anyone on the team can just be a point guard? In one thread it was Dhantay Jones, now it is Mike Dunleavy. Guys, if finding a quality pg to run a team were this easy then no one would ever be in need. You need to be able to run pick and roll, defend it, handle the ball against the quickest defenders, make smart decisions, pass well and defend the position. That is a lot of stuff to ask which makes finding a pg extremely tough. If it were as easy as moving a two guard or forward over we would have solved this issue a long time ago. Unfortunately it is not that easy.

    And no, players don't go from starters on good teams to garbage on bad teams like you suggest about Jones and Rush. Sure, being on a good team may be able to mask certain weaknesses, but the two guard position is one of the major reasons why we are a bad team. The reason they don't preform well isn't because of the team they are on, it is because at this point in time they are not very good players.

    You also really think Murphy is a SF? Seriously? I would love to see Murphy match up against the Paul Pierces of the world on defense. Do you have any idea how bad we would get tourched by the Carmelo Anthony's? Even someone like Loul Deng would kill Troy Murphy. Murphy is a terrible defender at any position, but he would get badly exposed at SF.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:


  27. #24
    The Ancient One woowoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    8
    Posts
    301

    Default Re: Current Pacers roster

    I would really like to see this team stay healthy all season for a change. And if they "upgrade" the PG position I think this team can be competitive. Not win the division competitive but I think they can be a .500+ type team...

    Really depends upon the PG situation IMO..

  28. #25
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,213

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Current Pacers roster

    im not sure who suggested dunleavy run the point, thats not a logical solution. my suggestion was jones backing up TJ for the following reasons:

    1) he will not get much PT at sg with Rush, Dunleavy, George, and possibly Stephenson.
    2) he has the frame of pg/combo gaurd
    3) im not stating he is our answer at the point, but that he can play it, and if he wants PT its his best option this season
    4) can he not dribble the ball up the court and pass it to the wings to initiate the offense?? i dont think that is too much to ask. im not asking him to be john stockton, but simply backup TJ until Price can play. dribbling and passing is something any shooting gaurd from duke should be able to do.
    5) the main reason i am comfortable suggesting this is Jones defense. half the game is defense, and Jones can defend point gaurds in this league. I would feel comfortable with him on Rondo, Nelson, Rose, Wall, Jennings etc. his specialty is defense.

    in summary, let him defend the point gaurd, and simply dribble and pass the ball, not per se orchestrate the offense.

    in regard to Murphy as a SF, i think what the poster was referrring to was Murphy is a PF who plays like a SF. which is absolutely correct. i dont think he was suggesting playing Murphy at the SF, at least i hope not.

    Jones is capable of splitting PT with TJ at 24 minutes a game. if the other team wants to trap him, im sure he can advance the ball up the court via the pass. now if jones could not defend the opposing PG's i would not have suggested this.



    Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    And what is up with everyone thinking anyone on the team can just be a point guard? In one thread it was Dhantay Jones, now it is Mike Dunleavy. Guys, if finding a quality pg to run a team were this easy then no one would ever be in need. You need to be able to run pick and roll, defend it, handle the ball against the quickest defenders, make smart decisions, pass well and defend the position. That is a lot of stuff to ask which makes finding a pg extremely tough. If it were as easy as moving a two guard or forward over we would have solved this issue a long time ago. Unfortunately it is not that easy.


    You also really think Murphy is a SF? Seriously? I would love to see Murphy match up against the Paul Pierces of the world on defense. Do you have any idea how bad we would get tourched by the Carmelo Anthony's? Even someone like Loul Deng would kill Troy Murphy. Murphy is a terrible defender at any position, but he would get badly exposed at SF.

Similar Threads

  1. Pacers-Celtics Matchups (IndyStar)
    By ChicagoJ in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 09:36 AM
  2. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 07-04-2009, 03:05 PM
  3. Pacers History 1993-1994 Season
    By Sollozzo in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 03:27 PM
  4. From Pacers insider.
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 08:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •