Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bledsoe investigated for HS benefits?

Default Bledsoe investigated for HS benefits?

Anyone thinks this will change things?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...=rivals-377855

While Eric Bledsoe is preparing for the beginning of his professional future in next month’s National Basketball Association Draft his past is now the subject of a investigative reporting piece by a nationally recognized news outlets.

The New York Times published a story on its website Friday night detailing what could potentially be numerous impermissible benefits Bledsoe and his family allegedly received during his prep career in Birmingham, Ala. The article indicates possible improprieties that range from academic performance and transcripts to the Bledsoe family having rent paid for by his high school coach, an impermissible benefit in the NCAA’s eyes.

The outlet did not indicate Kentucky had any involvement or knowledge of the issues, which are being investigated by the NCAA. A source at Kentucky told The Cats’ Pause the athletics department has not received a letter of inquiry from the NCAA and had no prior knowledge of any investigation into Bledsoe’s past.

To read the article and the details of the potentially impermissible benefits Bledsoe’s allegedly received go to NYTimes.com.

http://twitter.com/Wells222

NCAA investigating former Kentucky star Eric Bledsoe, who took benefits from his HS coach. http://nyti.m

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bledsoe investigated for HS benefits?

well if this does become true anytime before the Draft, I could see Bledsoe being marked off our list by our Front Office...Udoh anyone? lol

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wasn't counting on us taking him anyway.

This probably puts the icing on the cake that we'll just get our PG by trade or FA...

...or TJ Ford

Not suprising, he's coached by Cal...

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Here's the complete article from the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/29/sp...agewanted=2&hp

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — Two years ago, Eric Bledsoe was a star point guard without the grades to meet the N.C.A.A.’s minimum standards and needing to find a new high school. He solved both problems by moving to A. H. Parker High School and now, after one season at the University of Kentucky, he is awaiting a lucrative payday in next month’s N.B.A. draft.

As a freshmen at Kentucky, Bledsoe averaged 11.3 points, 3.1 rebounds and 2.9 assists a game.
    The changes in Bledsoe’s academic and athletic prospects have attracted the attention of the N.C.A.A., which has sent investigators to at least three places in Alabama to ask about him. The N.C.A.A. does not talk about its investigations, and the scope of this one is unknown.

But Bledsoe’s academic makeover and the extra benefits he apparently received could be another blow to Kentucky Coach John Calipari, who led teams at Massachusetts and Memphis that had their records and Final Four appearances expunged after rules violations were found under his watch.

Interviews with those connected with Bledsoe’s life in Birmingham revealed potential violations.

¶Brenda Axle, the landlord for the house where Bledsoe and his mother moved for his senior year of high school, said that Bledsoe’s high school coach paid her at least three months’ rent, or $1,200. By moving there, Bledsoe was eligible to play for Parker, which he led to the Alabama Class 5A title game. Maurice Ford, the coach, denied paying the money.

¶A copy of Bledsoe’s high school transcript from his first three years reveals that it would have taken an improbable academic makeover — a jump from about a 1.9 grade point average in core courses to just under a 2.5 during his senior year — for Bledsoe to achieve minimum N.C.A.A. standards to qualify for a scholarship.

¶A college coach who recruited Bledsoe said that Ford explicitly told his coaching staff that he needed a specific amount of money to let Bledsoe sign with that university. The coach, who did not want to be named out of fear of repercussions when recruiting in Birmingham, said Ford told him and his staff that he was asking for money because he was helping pay rent for Bledsoe and his mother. Ford denied this, saying, “I don’t prostitute my kids.”

He said he had done nothing wrong, adding: “I’m a poor black man. And when one black man tries to help another black man, there’s always something wrong.”

Calipari did not return a telephone call and text message seeking comment. A Kentucky spokesman said he was tending to his ill mother.

That Bledsoe — a 6-foot-1, 190-pound point guard — is on the verge of living out his N.B.A. dream would have been hard to envision in the spring of 2008. Bledsoe had lived an itinerant life for much of his high school years, often staying with friends or relatives, while his mother held jobs such as working at an adult book store and doing custodial work at a hospital.

By the end of his junior year, Bledsoe had attracted a solid list of college suitors, but the question of where he would play his senior year lingered.

Most of Bledsoe’s teammates at Carol W. Hayes High School, which was closing at the end of the school year, were transferring to Woodlawn, another local public school. But Steve Ward, his former coach at Hayes, had concerns about Bledsoe’s shaky grades and directed him to a local private school, Central Park Christian, where Ward thought Bledsoe would receive the academic attention he needed.

Bledsoe met with Levan Parker, Central Park Christian’s headmaster and former basketball coach; showed him a transcript; and picked up an application. The next day, though, Bledsoe’s mother, Maureen Reddick, called Central Park and said her son was going to attend school in California. Not long after, he enrolled at Parker.

Initially, the Alabama High School Athletic Association ruled that Bledsoe was ineligible to play at Parker, based on its transfer rule, but in November 2008 it cleared him to play, said Steve Savarese, the executive director of the A.H.S.A.A.

The A.H.S.A.A., the Birmingham City Schools Athletic Department and Ward were asked about Bledsoe by the N.C.A.A. assistant directors of enforcement Kristen Matha and Abigail Grantstein. They asked about everything from Bledsoe’s grades to his car to the circumstances surrounding his transfer, according to those who were interviewed by the enforcement officers.

“Definitely it was suspicious,” Ward said of the transfer. “He was in Woodlawn’s zone when Hayes shut down. His mom is bouncing around because she doesn’t have a steady job, so he moves to Parker’s zone. Of course I think it was a little suspicious.”

The state athletic association did not know who was paying rent for Bledsoe and his mother at the house on Center Street South. Axle, the landlord, said that Reddick signed a one-year lease for $400 a month. But she said she never received any money from Reddick or Bledsoe. She said that Ford paid her for the rent three or four times in cash, usually while Axle volunteered at Parker High School.

“I never paid his mom’s rent,” Ford said.

Under N.C.A.A. rules, it is not permissible for a high school student’s family to receive rent money from a public school coach. It would be considered an impermissible benefit.

Efforts to reach Bledsoe and Reddick were not successful.

When the rent payments stopped being made in early 2009, Axle said that she asked Ford about it on occasion and that he told her he would call Reddick.

Bledsoe and his mother abandoned the house in May 2009, and, according to Axle, left it in poor condition. When Axle last saw Reddick in June, she asked her who was going to pay the $3,200 she owed in rent.

“She said Maurice should have paid me,” Axle said.

Ford repeatedly denied Axle’s assertion that he paid rent for Bledsoe and his mother.

“If I paid his rent and I paid my rent out of my teacher’s salary, what are my kids going to eat?” Ford said. “I don’t love basketball that much.”

As Bledsoe was blossoming into an elite player, top basketball programs poured into Birmingham to try to get a copy of his transcript.

But Ford, who described Bledsoe’s academic performance in his five semesters at Hayes as “awful,” would not give it up because, he said, it was his policy not to distribute his players’ transcripts unless the player was about to go on an official visit, which requires a copy of the student’s high school transcript.

The New York Times reviewed a copy of Bledsoe’s transcript following his junior year. A veteran compliance officer with no ties to a university involved in Bledsoe’s recruitment said that while it was not impossible for someone with a record like Bledsoe’s to qualify for a college scholarship, he would need “an extraordinary senior year academically” to qualify. The compliance officer spoke on condition that he not be identified because he was not authorized to speak about Bledsoe’s transcript.

Bledsoe’s grade point average in core courses — subjects like math and English that the N.C.A.A. requires — hovered around 1.9 after his junior year, and that included two unusually high grades — an 86 and an 80 — he received during his half-semester at Parker as a junior.

Bledsoe failed to receive a B in a core course at Hayes. He had one B from a summer school class at Woodlawn that replaced a failing grade in English before he attended Parker.

To meet the N.C.A.A.’s minimum requirements, he would have needed to receive mostly A’s at Parker. Ford said that Bledsoe’s sum ACT score was a 69, which meant he needed to jump from about a 1.9 to a 2.475 in core courses, according to the N.C.A.A.’s sliding eligibility scale.

Ford defended the high grades that Bledsoe received at Parker, both late in his junior year and during his senior year. He said that at Hayes the only care was that Bledsoe was eligible to play basketball. Ford said that his guidance and discipline in forcing Bledsoe to attend class and do his work saved Bledsoe’s basketball career.

He said that if Hayes had not shut down, no one would have heard “anything about Eric Bledsoe again because he would have never made it. Never made it. Everything happened for a reason. He was sent to me for a reason.”

Ford boasted about his academic track record with basketball players and said Bledsoe told him that he could just show up in classes at Hayes, not do work and still receive D’s. But Doretta Harris, a teacher at Parker who taught Bledsoe, said that Ford never cared about academics.

“Just winning,” Harris said. “That’s all.”

Harris said she taught Bledsoe in economics for nine weeks.

“He was a C student at best,” she said.

On the court, things could not have gone better for Bledsoe and Ford, a successful veteran coach who left Parker after their one season together to take over at J. O. Johnson High School in Huntsville, Ala.

But off the court at Parker, the 2008-9 season was a tumultuous one. During the school year, the principal, Joseph Martin, was reassigned to a middle school and later retired. There was an eligibility scandal with Parker’s girls basketball team, and an audit later revealed missing money and merchandise involving Martin.

Martin said Bledsoe’s grade turnaround at Parker “isn’t hard to do anywhere in Birmingham, Ala., if you make somebody put their feet to the fire.”

“I’m not saying it wasn’t a challenge,” he said. “He knew what he had to do at Parker.”

Martin said he never saw Bledsoe’s final transcript and said his grades were not altered or inflated while he was principal.

Martin, in an interview outside his house, praised the teachers at Parker and said that if a student needed help, “he was going to be with one of these teachers over here who was going to get him what he needed.”

By all accounts around Birmingham, Bledsoe is a shy and polite young man. And while people here are rooting for him to be selected high in the draft, the question lingers about the path he took to Kentucky.

“The kid couldn’t have been nicer,” said Parker, the Central Park Christian headmaster. “That’s his reputation, a polite and mannerly kid.

“But he’s clearly been used.”
    ---------------------------

I don't really see anything that would stop the Pacers from taking him.

I think this reflects badly on the school a lot more than it does on him. Doesn't really change my opinion of taking Bledsoe either way.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

What exactly is the NBA relevant issue here? Why would they care if his mom received help paying rent from a high school coach?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozwalt72 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

WHY do they ALWAYS .. wait untill just before draft time before they dredge up crap on playrs .. from back in highschool??
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

From BACK in highschool? Oh, you mean last year.

While I can agree that getting help or coach's paying handlers to get guys like Mayo to come to their school ultimately is not a factor in an NBA career, I do have concern about prospects that just aren't smart.

I think the ability to learn and adapt is as much an attribute as jumping or quickness. So if Bledsoe is a dumb kid who's just not going to progress beyond leaning on his natural talent then he's going to be a slight bust.

OTOH, if he's a kid just floating by because he can but was honestly able to crack down and pull some A's out in math and biology then it actually makes me like him more.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

This isn't surprising in the least. Most people were under the impression that he would not be eligible for NCAA ball after his Junior year in HS because of his academic problems. That, combined with Calipari's notorious habit of playing fast and loose with the rules suggested that something funny was going on.

I still think he is a good kid. He might be limited academically, but I do not see a troublemaker. I can certainly sympathize with a kid willing to break the rules to prevent his dream from slipping away (although I hope Jennings' experience helps put an end to that.)

That being said, its just another risk variable folded into the mix. He has a lot of these factors, more than most prospects.

1) Was 4th potato on his college team.
    2) Played out of position in college.
    3) Potentially cognitively limited.

All things considered, 10 is way too high in my opinion. It may be that I'm buying into the hype, but I honestly would be okay with taking him there anyway. But if he busts, Bird is going to look awfully dumb with all these red flags.

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Isn't that similar to the problems that Derrick Rose had? It doesn't seem to effect him on the NBA level whatsoever.

Wasn't Lebron driving a hummer in high school?
    In Indiana moving like that would not fly. There is a rule that you cannot move just to play sports for a specific school. They would have investigated that right away.

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    Wasn't Lebron driving a hummer in high school?
    In Indiana moving like that would not fly. There is a rule that you cannot move just to play sports for a specific school. They would have investigated that right away.
    Lebron never had any intention of going to college though. I think, although the highschool thing is bad, the NCAA tends to worry more about college.

Well, I'm kinda torn on this.

First a disclaimer: I can not stomach Calipari, or UK. It never surprises when something like this comes up involving one of his players.

Now back to the more important isssue: The kid himself, and his family.

I notice that there is no mention of a father in the articles, so we have to assume it was a one parent household. I think we all know how difficult it can be for traditional families to make ends meet, and it just gets tougher when only one adult is trying to pay the bills. I will make no assumptions about the mother other than to say if she was working at an adult bookstore, she was either desperate for work or.........I don't know. Probably best not to go there.

But let's get to the kid.

Firstly, it sounds as though he did not have the best situation growing up. Likely not the most stable environment he could have. That's not his fault.

Secondly, does anyone know of any problems in his past other than being a poor student? I've never heard any mention, in the listed articles or otherwise, about any problem with drugs, guns, crimes of any kind.

It would have been an easy way out for him to do what so many others have, and turn to drugs or guns to get money for his family. We have no evidence of anything like this. Just bad grades. Given his situation, I would say it is to his credit that nothing of that nature seems to be in his background. At least that we currently have knowledge of.

No charges of being a dealer, or driving a car during a drive-by shooting.

I'm not trying to totally absolve the kid. Sure, he should have worked harder on his grades. Is that laziness or the result of not having the best influences around him in his youth? I don't know.

If what has been written is correct, it is certainly a rules violation. On the other hand, his basketball skills may be the only hope for his family to get out of the hole they are apparently in. I think he may have known this, and accepted it. His best shot at changing his lot in life was basketball. So its what he does, and in return his family has a roof over their heads.

I can't praise him or his mom, but I find it hard to condemn them either.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

This is why Larry has to sit down with the kid one on one and see if all the lights are on. Honestly this is too small of a thing for me to change my opinion of him.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I'm not sure I would trust any article from a newspaper called "The Cats' Pause".
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

There are so many sports that develop their young athletes just fine and even DRAFT young athletes in order to help support their families. Baseball don't need no NCAA, Gymnastics don't need no NCAA, The Olympic sports have finally figured it out, worldwide Soccer and Hockey teams have no problem finding young talent and paying them to develop.

But here we are with the gambling bracket, the ad dollars, and the faux piety of scholastic sports. These "students" are expected to "pay their dues" and work for free while everyone around them is making millions.

This fish stinks.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

I remember this kid playing Indiana BB back in the 70's that had a "little talent" who I don't believe was the best of scholars, his mother raised him and his siblings, and yet turned out to be a "pretty fair" NBA player. I see nothing from this article that sends up a red flag about Bledsoe that would discourage the Pacers(Bird) from drafting him.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    There are so many sports that develop their young athletes just fine and even DRAFT young athletes in order to help support their families. Baseball don't need no NCAA, Gymnastics don't need no NCAA, The Olympic sports have finally figured it out, worldwide Soccer and Hockey teams have no problem finding young talent and paying them to develop.

But here we are with the gambling bracket, the ad dollars, and the faux piety of scholastic sports. These "students" are expected to "pay their dues" and work for free while everyone around them is making millions.

This fish stinks.
    I do understand what you are saying, but I will take some exception to the part I've bolded.

In both college basketball and football (and other college sports, for that matter) it is a very small percent of the players that will have ANY chance of turning their sport into a profession.

For the vast majority of these "students", the education and degree they receive, and the doors that degree opens for them in the professional world is a substantial form of payment for their services.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post

This fish stinks.
    Acting like Baseball, the Olympics, and Gymnastics **** don't stink is absurd. They don't churn out millionaires either quite that easily either.

I may not agree with the NBA's 1 and done rule, but they are a company that can require whatever credentials they want. Being a great athlete does not entitle you to represent a team and make millions of dollars.

Banned

I think people really dont understand how bad this kind of stuff is.. You have guys that come from a poor background all of a sudden wear diamond earrings and 3000$ suits soon as they get into college.

There is a highschool close to me called Oak Hill Academy ( In VA ) that does it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    I do understand what you are saying, but I will take some exception to the part I've bolded.

In both college basketball and football (and other college sports, for that matter) it is a very small percent of the players that will have ANY chance of turning their sport into a profession.

For the vast majority of these "students", the education and degree they receive, and the doors that degree opens for them in the professional world is a substantial form of payment for their services.
    You will never hear me discount education OR opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    Acting like Baseball, the Olympics, and Gymnastics **** don't stink is absurd. They don't churn out millionaires either quite that easily either.

I may not agree with the NBA's 1 and done rule, but they are a company that can require whatever credentials they want. Being a great athlete does not entitle you to represent a team and make millions of dollars.
    Every sport has its problems. I'm talking about the student athletic/scholarship problem.

I wonder what Bird's HS transcript looked like ? I doubt he was doing a
    credible 'Einstein impression'. But, since his hoops-IQ was outstanding
    and his hand-eye coordication was other-worldly it didn't matter in the
    least.

I'm nowhere near as high on Bledsoe as many PD'ers seem to be. But
    I could care less what his HS grades looked like.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    From BACK in highschool? Oh, you mean last year.

While I can agree that getting help or coach's paying handlers to get guys like Mayo to come to their school ultimately is not a factor in an NBA career, I do have concern about prospects that just aren't smart.

Please don't ever locate on YouTube the interview Bledsoe gave after he signed with Kentucky. His apparent lack of intelligence (or at least communications skills) will make you very concern to say the least.