Thread: Zellous trade to Fever for draft pick

Default Zellous trade to Fever for draft pick

http://sports.yahoo.com/wnba/news;_y...ock-fevertrade

TULSA, Okla. (AP)—The Tulsa Shock have traded Shavonte Zellous to the Indiana Fever.

The Shock made the deal Thursday for a second-round draft pick in 2011.

Zellous had averaged four points and 2.5 assists in four games for Tulsa this season.

Sports Logo

Default Re: Zellous trade to Fever for draft pick

We really got a gift here. Zellous was one of the best rookies last year. I can't believe the Shock would just let her go for a second round pick.

I love the youngsters we have on this team. Bri, Jene, and now Zellous. They're all great defenders and tough, capable scorers.

Well done, Fever management.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kuq_e_Zi91 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We just got one of the better rookies from last year for a second round pick? What are they doing out there in Tulsa? Weird, but I'll take it.

Zellous played good D in the playoffs - not so much during the regular season. I would expect the team's defense-minded culture to keep her on track though.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Sports Logo

Zellous was terrific tonight on both sides of the ball. Game-high 23 points (6-10 fg 10-12 ft) off the bench. Her ability to get to the line and convert was huge when we were trying to protect the lead in the 4th.

Her (wo)man defense was excellent. Help D was great, she even drew a couple charges. She's just tough. Perfect addition to this team.

I can't wait to see her and Bri get some more time together when Bri gets healthy.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kuq_e_Zi91 For This Useful Post:

Could she be the missing piece that lets them win it all?

I hope she is. Glad to see the team starting to put some wins together. Katie as finally showed up to play

Sports Logo

She could be.

Last year Phoenix brought Penny Taylor off the bench and that really hurt us since we didn't have an answer for that. Zellous is our answer.

They got off to a slow start because of the vets returning a little late from overseas, then Bri got injured, but give this team some more time to gel and get healthy and they'll be a tough out for anyone in the playoffs.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've been pretty impressed with Zellous. I thought it was a steal when I first heard about the trade, but I didn't expect her to start clicking with the team as quickly as she has.

It's fantastic to get a young, talented player with close to as much toughness and intensity as Catch and adding another decent scoring option (she gets to the free throw line like crazy) frees Catchings up to have an all-around excellent game like tonight (14 pts, 7 rebounds, 9 assists, 2 steals, 3 blocked shots) because she doesn't have to worry about being the leading scorer too. We're a better team when Catchings can be that player.

Zellous is already a very good defensive player - she enjoys playing it and she gets to learn from probably the best defensive player in the history of the WNBA - there's a lot of growth potential there. It's good for our rookie Morris too, because I think she can be a pretty good player (similar to Zellous, actually, in terms of defensive talent and ability to score in bunches, just less experienced) and now she's got a little less pressure on her to develop super quickly.

Bri wasn't playing all that well before she went out, but I'll be glad to see her back - obviously a big part of adjusting to being the starting point and all that comes with it is to get games under her belt. In the meantime, back-up point guard by committee seems to be working well for us. Most our G-F players are pretty good facilitators and our bigs are competent passers too.

Yep, I'm excited. Considering the fact that we had no vets in training camp, have added a new player, and have had a couple of key injuries I think we're doing OK - feels like we turned a corner in San Antonio game on Thursday when our signature defense re-appeared.

Thanks, Nolan Richardson. Oh, and Bill Lambeer for retiring, because there's no way we would have gotten Zellous from him for a second-round pick!
    Last edited by gummy; 06-06-2010 at 12:46 AM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post: