Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 196

Thread: A minor pet peeve

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default A minor pet peeve

    I have noticed that a couple of times on TV and even on a talk show a host used the phrase "Well that is a mute point"

    What exactly is a mute point?

    I get that you can use it as a pun and mean "mute point" if you are very clever, but I really wonder if some people do not realize it is "moot" and not "mute".

    Then again, the other day a lady I was at the grocery store and a lady in the line told me she had just got a job as a vet assistant. She said she was working with the animal corpse. I asked her if she knew that she was saying it wrong and I thought she meant "corps" and she said "no, silly, there is a p in the word". I could not help but chuckle

  2. #2
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A minor pet peeve

    When people use the term "seen" when "saw" is the correct one. I cringe whenever I hear people say "I seen it." Ughh......

    And here lately another bad one is when they say "I could care less." NOOO!

  3. #3
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: A minor pet peeve

    A little piece of me dies every time someone uses "good" instead of "well".

    Also, something interesting that I've noticed folks from Texas using is 'chunk' instead of 'chuck' - as in "I chunked the book at his head when he used good instead of well." Perhaps that change will be in the new Texas textbooks too.

  4. #4
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: A minor pet peeve

    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Perhaps that change will be in the new Texas textbooks too.


    For me, it's dominate vs dominant. Nobody says it wrong, but people write it wrong all the time.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  5. #5
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,062
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A minor pet peeve

    Irregardless...

    These ones...

    Itch vs. Scratch...

    Done vs. Completed/Finished...

  6. #6
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,066

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A minor pet peeve

    serious vs. seriously. That irks me to no end. For that matter, anybody that refuses to put "ly" at the end of anything.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  7. #7

    Default Re: A minor pet peeve

    I know it's common, but they're vs their. It's really not that hard.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  8. #8
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: A minor pet peeve

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know it's common, but they're vs their. It's really not that hard.
    I have to admit, I mistype that all the time.

    My hands seem to be trained to type "they're." Maybe because when I'm typing quickly I also misspell "their" by inverting the vowels. Either way, I type like an idiot. The faster I type the more prone I am to mistakes.
    Last edited by Los Angeles; 05-29-2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Or really horribly constructed sentences.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  9. #9
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,104

    Default Re: A minor pet peeve

    I would of added something to this thread.... Wait, I just did! Would HAVE or Would've.... NOT would OF!!!!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  10. #10
    The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Disgusta, GA
    Posts
    8,829
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A minor pet peeve

    A moot point is a point that must be discussed at the moot (meet). The witanegemot or witenagemot was a meeting of the wise men, elders, councilors to the saxon king. Witan=wise man, gemot=to meet. So, it's a point that can't be settled by us, at this level. Has to be kicked up to the bosses to be decided. No point in discussing it now.

    I've totally been wanting to use witanegemot in a post. Thanks.
    Last edited by kester99; 05-28-2010 at 01:19 AM.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

    N8R

  12. #11

    Default Re: A minor pet peeve

    Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A moot point is a point that must be discussed at the moot (meet). The witanegemot or witenagemot was a meeting of the wise men, elders, councilors to the saxon king. Witan=wise man, gemot=to meet. So, it's a point that can't be settled by us, at this level. Has to be kicked up to the bosses to be decided. No point in discussing it now.

    I've totally been wanting to use witanegemot in a post. Thanks.
    Or like "Entmoot" from LOTR!
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:


  14. #12
    - .-- ... ... Natston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Timbuktupolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,318
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A minor pet peeve

    to/too/two

    I am pretty well at not getting upset by mute points but I HATE when people cannot differentiate between (to/too/two)...

  15. #13
    International Counter bellisimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,106

    Default Re: A minor pet peeve

    girls with short hair.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:

    N8R

  17. #14
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,577

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A minor pet peeve

    Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    girls with short hair.
    When they think they are being all artistic by doing it, too.

    No, you look like a 12 year old boy now. Great job!
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:

    N8R

  19. #15
    Member thewholefnshow31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,303

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A minor pet peeve

    It drives me crazy when people said I could care less when it is supposed to be I could not care less! Saying it the first way shows that you could care less which is not getting your point across.

    Also, people saying I seen him yesterday instead of I saw him yesterday drives me nuts. My best friend does that all of the time. I have been correcting him for almost 12 years now.

  20. #16

    Default Re: A minor pet peeve

    You know what really grinds my gears? People who "unthaw" things. Guess what you f****** a******. That's not a word. You thaw things. If you unthaw it, you're saying you want to do the opposite of thawing it. Which probably means you want to freeze it. But it's already frozen. So what the f*** are you doing to it?

  21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to btowncolt For This Useful Post:


  22. #17
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,264
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A minor pet peeve

    Flammable being said/written inflammable.

    your, you're, there, their, they're


    bring/take


    and for my bro-in-law....bernoculars.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  23. #18
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: A minor pet peeve

    Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Flammable being said/written inflammable.
    This is actually correct.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:


  25. #19
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,264
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A minor pet peeve

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is actually correct.
    Dictionarily correct, but IMO redundant and I'm the one making the judgement of what is acceptable to me.

    But primarily my opinion comes from the DOT and OSHA who do not want them used interchangeably in the workplace or while transporting flammable liquids because of the worry the term inflammable can be misconstrued as non-flammable.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  26. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A minor pet peeve

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You know what really grinds my gears? People who "unthaw" things. Guess what you f****** a******. That's not a word. You thaw things. If you unthaw it, you're saying you want to do the opposite of thawing it. Which probably means you want to freeze it. But it's already frozen. So what the f*** are you doing to it?
    ROT IN HELL BTOWNCOLT

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:


  28. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    12,042

    Default Re: A minor pet peeve

    When someone says "lol" in real life instead of just laughing. GO!!!!! I am talking to you.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to N8R For This Useful Post:


  30. #22
    The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Disgusta, GA
    Posts
    8,829
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A minor pet peeve

    Nauseous. It could be a pile of yukky stuff on the floor. That's a nauseous mess. If it makes you feel queasy, you are nauseated. You are not nauseous. I hope.

    I could stand to hear people use 'nauseous' incorrectly fewer times. In fewer cases. Fewer instances of that. In short, I could do with hearing it less.
    Last edited by kester99; 05-28-2010 at 03:17 PM.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:


  32. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    12,042

    Default Re: A minor pet peeve

    I never knew that kester. Something else that annoys me is when you lose your golf balls in the semi rough, they just disappear.

  33. #24

    Default Re: A minor pet peeve

    Also, the misuse of "then" and "than."
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  34. #25
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,264
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A minor pet peeve

    My SIM card died today. Whose SIM card ever the Hell Dies?

    Then the phone died too. Rot in Hell Motorola!! It was only 4 years old!!

    I have socks older than that.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Similar Threads

  1. a huge pet peeve of mine. It is Colts not Coats
    By Unclebuck in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 04:23 PM
  2. Pet Peeve - It's "Jack" not "Jax"
    By PHC Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 05-25-2005, 01:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •