Thread: Greg Monroe, Gani Lawal and Ed Davis are three of the top prospects

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Greg Monroe, Gani Lawal and Ed Davis are three of the top prospects

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16296

All that said, however, the two-time All-Atlantic Coast Conference honoree understands what he brings to the table and what he will have to improve upon in order to become an impact player at the NBA level.

"If you pick me, you are going to get a guy that is going to rebound the heck out of the basketball," he told HOOPSWORLD. "I have been working on other parts of my game as well, but that is going to come. Right now, put me on the floor and I'm going to rebound. I'm going to play defense. The other stuff, I'm going to keep working on and I'm going to bring that along as I get better. Obviously, my mid-range game (needs to improve), which I feel, from March when our season ended until now, I have improved a lot. My mid-range. My shooting. My ball-handling. Obviously I'm not going to be bringing the ball up the court but I want to have that part of my game polished. And my free throws."
    Maybe he is the real Dale Davis clone

If we were able to sang Lawal in the second round , I would be willing to look at a Bledsoe/Avery at #10
    Sittin on top of the world!

Default Re: Greg Monroe, Gani Lawal and Ed Davis are three of the top prospects

My fault, I dont know how to edit the thread title after the fact

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Greg Monroe, Gani Lawal and Ed Davis are three of the top prospects Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16296#ixzz0otDoXVOQ

I love Gani Lawal's game. If he were 6'11" I'd shove a grandma down the stairs to get him on the Pacers. He's going to have to battle his height a bit but he's the hardest working big in the draft and very smart. He's got big variety of post moves as well.

All year I've said the ideal PF would be Lawal's game in Favor's body. That would be a #1 pick.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Default Re: Greg Monroe, Gani Lawal and Ed Davis are three of the top prospects Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16296#ixzz0otDoXVOQ

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love Gani Lawal's game. If he were 6'11" I'd shove a grandma down the stairs to get him on the Pacers. He's going to have to battle his height a bit but he's the hardest working big in the draft and very smart. He's got big variety of post moves as well.

All year I've said the ideal PF would be Lawal's game in Favor's body. That would be a #1 pick.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Taller than Millsap, but slightly shorter wingspan but longer standing reach.

Someone's going to get a heck of a good player with Lawal and won't be surprised if someone reaches for him in the mid to late teens.

Mood

I don't know that that is a reach. Lawal is an excellent player. He will be great in the pick and roll for some team as well. He ran an excellent PnR with less than stellar guards at GT. I really like everything he does. Has a nose for the basketball and excels as a rebounder. He is good defensively. The ONLY knock on this guy that I have is that he is 6'7.5" without shoes (6'9" with). I think he is going to be a solid PF, but without any center flexibility which hurts him for us. If we are taking him in the second round though I would be happy with that. We can't have enough bigs, especially smart ones, with three coming off the books this summer.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we take Ed Davis, I think he will be a steal.

Maybe not in his first season, but he has the potential of being a solid defender. He's best known for that which is what we need in a PF.

Much like Roy, Davis will get off to a shakey start, but then he'll add strength and improve in all aspects of his game making him a great player for this team in the future.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Of the 3 I would want Ed Davis , to me his upside is far better. He could well turn into the defender we are looking for at the pf position , his offensive game though raw is inside something the Pacers currently lack.

Ed Davis would help us immediately with his rebounding and shotblocking. His offensive game is still a work in the progress, but he has the fundamentals to be a solid offensive player both inside and out.

Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    If we take Ed Davis, I think he will be a steal.

Maybe not in his first season, but he has the potential of being a solid defender. He's best known for that which is what we need in a PF.

Much like Roy, Davis will get off to a shakey start, but then he'll add strength and improve in all aspects of his game making him a great player for this team in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    Ed Davis would help us immediately with his rebounding and shotblocking. His offensive game is still a work in the progress, but he has the fundamentals to be a solid offensive player both inside and out.
    You guys are friggin' crazy... if they take ed davis... i will march on the fieldhouse. he's what, 6'9? 215 lbs <--- fact. PF? Whats a 215 lb scrawny PF going to do for our shotty inside D? We have no toughness down there and he will not bring that.

Patrick Patterson on the otherhand stands a resounding 6'9 245. Polished game... boards the ball. Ya know, if we go with a big man.
    And this is coming ffrom a Gators fan...
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacers4Life For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers4Life View Post
    You guys are friggin' crazy... if they take ed davis... i will march on the fieldhouse. he's what, 6'9? 215 lbs <--- fact. PF? Whats a 215 lb scrawny PF going to do for our shotty inside D? We have no toughness down there and he will not bring that.

Patrick Patterson on the otherhand stands a resounding 6'9 245. Polished game... boards the ball. Ya know, if we go with a big man.
    I agree with a lot of that but, when you mention height, you gotta compare apples to apples. Davis' 6'9" is taller than Patterson's 6'9". You can't compare height by listing one guy's measurements without shoes and the other's with shoes.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Players can always add the strength by putting on the muscle. Most guys like Roy first coming into the league add the strength in the summer they're drafted or the start of their second year.

I don't know what you're talking about when you're saying he brings no D or toughness. He's listed as being a decent defender.

I'm not against Patterson, but he doesn't play nearly as much defense as Davis. Yes he already has the strength, but he's known for using it to defend.

Players can always add the strength by putting on the muscle. Most guys like Roy first coming into the league add the strength in the summer they're drafted or the start of their second year.

I don't know what you're talking about when you're saying he brings no D or toughness. He's listed as being a decent defender.

I'm not against Patterson, but he doesn't play nearly as much defense as Davis. Yes he already has the strength, but he's known for using it to defend.
    From what I have read Patterson is an abhorrent rebounder, which is something we can not have next to Roy

Davis' strengths at this point, are said to be rebounding and defense

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

You mean like Bender and JO did?

Even when guys do put on weight it often ALTERS their overall game. It's not like they just keep being the same guy but stronger.

Also I think people overlook the SKILL of being able to develop. Its one thing to have potential and another to make good on that. So when I see Patterson or Lawal or Udoh improve their games during the season or from year to year I at least know that's something they can do.

I don't think Davis progressed this year, and I don't really see how people saw all this great play from him when he was injured for the most critical portion of the season.

I won't say he can't or won't improve, get stronger, etc, but what I am saying is where does this certainty that he will do those things come from?

Why not gamble on Charles Garcia instead if we are playing that game?

Why not assume that Warren is just about to find the same caliber game that Turner has?

For me Davis remains a scrawny pogostick type player who gets the homerun blocks but doesn't deny actual floor position...like Whiteside.

Speaking of that, I posted about Jordan (Tulsa) where he killed Whiteside. Stats wise it looks like Whiteside had a great game, but the difference was that very little came from going through Whiteside and on defense he struggled to stop Jordan. Most of his stats came on scraps created by the plays of other guys, whereas everything Tulsa did fed directly off of Jordan. Whiteside has 5 blocks, 2 came on the same play where a player already off balance challenges him, gets it put in his face and tries again. Whiteside didn't put him in the tough spot to begin with and if the player had been smart he would have just kicked out the blocked shot and started over. On the other end Jordan takes the ball away from a driving guard, one that's not off-balance.

So by stats you have even-ish guys (JJ had the better game outright), but HOW guys get those blocks, steals and points has a lot to do with my opinion.

Leading back to Davis, I do think he was like Whiteside. They weren't working their offense through him and he wasn't the kind of guy that pushes even a Booker or Lawal off the low block, let alone Boozer or Duncan.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

You mean like Bender and JO did?

Even when guys do put on weight it often ALTERS their overall game. It's not like they just keep being the same guy but stronger.

Also I think people overlook the SKILL of being able to develop. Its one thing to have potential and another to make good on that. So when I see Patterson or Lawal or Udoh improve their games during the season or from year to year I at least know that's something they can do.

I don't think Davis progressed this year, and I don't really see how people saw all this great play from him when he was injured for the most critical portion of the season.

I won't say he can't or won't improve, get stronger, etc, but what I am saying is where does this certainty that he will do those things come from?

Why not gamble on Charles Garcia instead if we are playing that game?

Why not assume that Warren is just about to find the same caliber game that Turner has?

For me Davis remains a scrawny pogostick type player who gets the homerun blocks but doesn't deny actual floor position...like Whiteside.

Speaking of that, I posted about Jordan (Tulsa) where he killed Whiteside. Stats wise it looks like Whiteside had a great game, but the difference was that very little came from going through Whiteside and on defense he struggled to stop Jordan. Most of his stats came on scraps created by the plays of other guys, whereas everything Tulsa did fed directly off of Jordan. Whiteside has 5 blocks, 2 came on the same play where a player already off balance challenges him, gets it put in his face and tries again. Whiteside didn't put him in the tough spot to begin with and if the player had been smart he would have just kicked out the blocked shot and started over. On the other end Jordan takes the ball away from a driving guard, one that's not off-balance.

So by stats you have even-ish guys (JJ had the better game outright), but HOW guys get those blocks, steals and points has a lot to do with my opinion.

Leading back to Davis, I do think he was like Whiteside. They weren't working their offense through him and he wasn't the kind of guy that pushes even a Booker or Lawal off the low block, let alone Boozer or Duncan.
    OK,

So Jordan or Edoh(sp?)

Did you ever see Chris Bosh in college?

Tim Duncan? They weren't exactly strong and chiseled.

Not drafting a guy because where there body is at as a sophomore in college is no way to draft, and is quite frankly, pretty stupid.

Udoh's also like 3 years older. You have to look at that big picture. I've never been overly impressed with Ed Davis's production, but for a 20 year old kid, you have to like where's he's at. The things that he's good at: rebounding, shotblocking, and defense; also happen to be some big needs in our froncourt
    Last edited by PR07; 05-26-2010 at 02:41 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

I'm favor us taking Davis as much as I favor taking Patterson, Monroe, or Udoh.

I was never really interested in Davis until a few weeks ago when I noticed us taking him in many mock drafts.

Patterson, Monroe, and Udoh have been my top choices at #10 all along.

he weighed in at 227 pounds, just saying. i believe hansbrough weighed in at 234 pounds last year

Whoever posted those pictures of Bosh and Duncan...come on, those guys look about the EXACT same in regards to their size as they do now, unless you are taking into consideration Bosh's dreads that he sports these days. The fact is guys don't come into the league as finesse players and really bulk up. Sure if your Dwight Howard and all you do is dunk and try out some Ewing esc post moves you might find time to bulk up to help your game but look at guys like Gasol and Duncan and Dirk...they are no bigger now than they were 8 years ago in the league. The fact is we need toughness on the defensive end. We need a player who can body up and get stops...at the very least someone who will actually make it hard for bigs to score on us...or harder. I saw a quote on here by someone that said "He is LISTED as a good defender"(in regard to Davis). Well thats great to know. Have you ever even seen him play?? He could also be LISTED as I don't know...a dog lover...basically anything that anyone wants to say about him, its probably some UNC c*** muncher, the person who listed him as a good defneder...not my fellow Pacers fan. The fact is he is "listed" at 215 and is apparently 227 as someone pointed out, but regardless, yet another lanky big, very similar to Roy, slightly more polished and athletic, but none the less very similar and substantially more lanky. If you want some one who is a polished 4 and has some good size why would we not be talking about Greg Monroe?? I still think that he doesnt fully fill our needs, but who are we kidding...is there anybody in the 10th spot who really can fill a spot for us as a sure thing. Answer, no. We need a proven star who can bring some more fans to the games for starters, but ultimately help take the load off Danny at the offensive end and cause some sort of havoc as a 4 down on the defensive end. Of course this is a long shot to say the least. There is hardly any pull to Indy these days, but if we want to even start uttering playoffs again we need a solid 4 and a point guard who can actually see the floor. How to make all this happen...who knows, if I was the one getting paid for making those choices though I know I wouldn't be thinking Ed Davis....and I wouldn't have been thinking psycho T last year, but that's just me...isn't it weird we took a 4 last year and still we are all on here talking about 4's again this year?? pg's taken after 13 last year...collison...holiday...lawson... teague...maynor...just saying....
    Last edited by GodLovesGranger; 05-27-2010 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GodLovesGranger View Post
    The fact is we need toughness on the defensive end. We need a player who can body up and get stops...at the very least someone who will actually make it hard for bigs to score on us...or harder.

The fact is he is "listed" at 215 and is apparently 227 as someone pointed out, but regardless, yet another lanky big, very similar to Roy, slightly more polished and athletic, but none the less very similar and substantially more lanky.
    Just because you're not physically strong, does not mean you can't be a great defender. To say, "Ed Davis isn't big enough to be a strong defender," is one of the most illogical things one can say. PJ Brown, Kevin Garnett, Clifford Robinson, and Rasheed Wallace are some of the best frontcourt defenders of the past 15 years, and no one could say that any of those guys were physically imposing from a strength standpoint. Not everyone has to be built like Dale freaking Davis to be a defensive asset in the frontcourt.

Just because you're not physically strong, does not mean you can't be a great defender. To say, "Ed Davis isn't big enough to be a strong defender," is one of the most illogical things one can say. PJ Brown, Kevin Garnett, Clifford Robinson, and Rasheed Wallace are some of the best frontcourt defenders of the past 15 years, and no one could say that any of those guys were physically imposing from a strength standpoint. Not everyone has to be built like Dale freaking Davis to be a defensive asset in the frontcourt.
    I am not saying "Ed Davis isn't big enough to be a strong defender". All of the guys you mentioned were certainly dominant defenders, Garnett still obviously is...Wallace, thats more questionable these days but regardless. Are you really suggesting though that Ed Davis is the next Garnett...or even Robinson?? If I even thought for a second we were in line to potentially get a Garnett type player I would have kept my mouth shut. The fact is Ed Davis is another player who would have probably gotten picked higher last year...went back for his sophomore year and was ...less than stellar, somewhat due to injury, but none the less he didn't impress me as a player, and certainly not as a defender or someone who fills a need for us. I don't think we are talking about the next Kevin Garnett here, I think he'll be another solid player in the league..another role player who is a good guy to have on your team, but not what we really need. So I didn't mean to disregard him as a player based on his size. Just not the player I'd like to see suiting up for the team next year.

Quote Originally Posted by GodLovesGranger View Post
    I am not saying "Ed Davis isn't big enough to be a strong defender". All of the guys you mentioned were certainly dominant defenders, Garnett still obviously is...Wallace, thats more questionable these days but regardless. Are you really suggesting though that Ed Davis is the next Garnett...or even Robinson?? If I even thought for a second we were in line to potentially get a Garnett type player I would have kept my mouth shut. The fact is Ed Davis is another player who would have probably gotten picked higher last year...went back for his sophomore year and was ...less than stellar, somewhat due to injury, but none the less he didn't impress me as a player, and certainly not as a defender or someone who fills a need for us. I don't think we are talking about the next Kevin Garnett here, I think he'll be another solid player in the league..another role player who is a good guy to have on your team, but not what we really need. So I didn't mean to disregard him as a player based on his size. Just not the player I'd like to see suiting up for the team next year.
    No one said he's the next Garnett, nor is anyone even implying that. Your previous post seemed to indicate that you have a bias against "lanky" players because they cannot get stops or 'body up'. I'm saying that just because someone is lanky, it doesn't necessarily diminish their defensive effectiveness. One can be a great defender and not necessarily be bulky. Whether Davis looks like Ben Wallace or Tayshaun Prince it shouldn't really matter, if he can play defense, he can play defense.

I've never been overly impressed with his production, but he was battling injury and is only 20 years old, and it really was a down year for UNC in terms of their talent level all-around.

I'm saying that just because someone is lanky, it doesn't necessarily diminish their defensive effectiveness. One can be a great defender and not necessarily be bulky. Whether Davis looks like Ben Wallace or Tayshaun Prince it shouldn't really matter, if he can play defense, he can play defense.
    I definitely agree. I wasn't trying to say all lanky players should be discredited or can't be great defenders, just that I think Ed Davis' size is his defensive downfall. He got 2.7 blocks a game last year, which is solid but Hibbert had 2.4 his senior year and that definitely hasn't quite translated to the NBA game. Pau Gasol is a pretty solid defender as far as his skill set, but we are seeing him get picked apart by Amare these last two games because Amare can push him around and get to his spots, that doesn't make Gasol a bad defender, but his size certainly is not serving him well. This day and age guys are really getting bigger and faster and stronger and I don't think that is everything...but it is certainly something, and right now we really have no one on our team with any kind of solid size.

Davis is taller, more athletic, has better hands, plays better help defense, can play both the 4 and the 5, and defends the lane better, and is younger.

Lawal is stronger, can defend physical players better, has much better offensive footwork, is not as soft, is more mature, and has quicker feet.

Honestly both are a little risky. Davis has higher upside and fits the needs of the team better, imo. I think Lawal is duplicative of Hansbrough in terms of size and the role they will play in the NBA. Davis is at least a different kind of player.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to judicata For This Useful Post: