Thread: Zach Randolph Implicated in Indiana Drug Bust

Default Zach Randolph Implicated in Indiana Drug Bust

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/spor...iana-drug-bust

Zach Randolph Implicated in Indiana Drug Bust

Updated: Wednesday, 26 May 2010, 9:06 PM CDT
    Published : Wednesday, 26 May 2010, 8:36 PM CDT

Brad
    Villane

Indianapolis, In - Memphis Grizzlies standout Zach Randolph has been implicated in an Indianapolis drug investigation. A probable cause affidavit has a police informant indentifying Randolph as a major marijuana supplier in Indianapolis.

A stake out on a suspected drug house 2 weeks ago led to 32 year old Arthur Boyd being pulled over in a Cadillac Escalade. The vehicle had marijuana and ammunition inside, and was registered to Randolph.

The Escalade led police to a storage facility where they say Randolph rents four lockers. According to the document, police dogs found controlled substances in two of the four lockers.

John Tompkins, Randolph's attorney, was quoted by 6News saying that Randolph is not connected to any drug activity. He went on to say that the vehicle's secret compartments were a safety precaution for concealing valuables. The Memphis Grizzlies will release a statement supporting Randolph on Thursday, according to Tompkins.

This is not Randolph's first run in with the law. He has a conviction on battery charges dating back to 1997. He was also caught selling a stolen gun in 1999. In 2002 Randolph was charged with underage drinking. Last year he was arrested on charges of drunk driving in Los Angeles.

The latest arrest information comes from a report from 6 News reporter, Jack Rinehart.

Stay tuned to MyFoxMemphis.com and Fox 13 News at 9 for more on this developing story.
    Wow!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Zach Randolph Implicated in Indiana Drug Bust

Classy.

I hope this isn't true for Zach's sake. He's a nice guy, is pretty laid back and I see him all the time during the summer as I walk my dogs past his house in Indy regularly.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Innocent before proven guilty

on second thought yeah he's probably guilty

"secret compartment for valuables"

LMAO

more like "secret stash compartment"
    Sittin on top of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope this isn't true for Zach's sake. He's a nice guy, is pretty laid back and I see him all the time during the summer as I walk my dogs past his house in Indy regularly.
    Wonder why...

In all seriousness, sucks for him and the Grizzlies.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Yea, hope this isn't true, especially because for once in his life hearing the phrase "standout" applied to Randolph actually made some sense.

Shocking, I say. Next someone will uncover evidence that not breathing can be hazardous to your health.

Mood

This is not the least bit surprising to me. I live near Marion, and have pretty much never heard a good word about this guy. In fact, I went down to a Portland game with an acquaintance from Marion a few years back when Randolph was on the team. My acquaintance knows the family, and went to school with many of his cousins. We were approached by some of these people at the game becaue they knew the guy I was with. Well, they gave us these after game things to get some kind of access to Zach and whoever else was there. My friend I politely took the passes, I actually wanted to go but he said no way. He wanted nothing to do with it.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, this is on the front page of the Indianapolis Star metro print edition...

I guess you can include this in that public opinion of the NBA with regards to the city's negotiations with PS&E. I can hear it now.... "Why should the city support a league of drug runners and just all around bad people"
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Shocking, I say. Next someone will uncover evidence that not breathing can be hazardous to your health.
    My man , I think that was the funniest *&^% I have ever read you post

nice one

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Yeah, this is on the front page of the Indianapolis Star metro print edition...

I guess you can include this in that public opinion of the NBA with regards to the city's negotiations with PS&E. I can hear it now.... "Why should the city support a league of drug runners and just all around bad people"
    I made the mistake of reading the online comments, which of course have bunches of people talking about how this guy should have been playing for the Pacers since they only look for druggies and shooters.

gaaaaaaaaah.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I made the mistake of reading the online comments, which of course have bunches of people talking about how this guy should have been playing for the Pacers since they only look for druggies and shooters.

gaaaaaaaaah.
    WTF were you thinking, Bill? I know the last time I actually looked at the comments on ANY Indy Star article, I spent a week wanting to claw my eyes out for reading such !
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

This is not the least bit surprising to me, either. It is well known around the local area that both he and the disgraced Bonzi Wells are involved in such things, but Zach always has seemed to play well enough to make it worth putting up with wherever he has been.

At some point, hopefully soon, both will mature and be forced to recognize the errors of their ways. Bonzi threw away his NBA career, and it would appear that Zach is about to shorten his. A shame for two talented players from east central Indiana.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post

gaaaaaaaaah.
    I learned a long time ago never to read the comments on any of the articles. There is just something about the Indystar.com that brings out the idiots on all sides. You can never have a civil conversation about any topics.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

I'm more surprised Zach is still in the NBA than him being busted for drugs.

I guess the 11.2M this past season wasn't quite enough to "feed the family" so he needed supplemental income.

You have to wonder about the IQ of people like that. Dealing? It's already like he is winning the lottery with every single paycheck he gets. If he wants to smoke the weed, why can't he have someone else buy it? Deal it to make extra money? Seriously, what an idiot and a loser (if it is all true, and it seems totally consistent with what we know about the guy).

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This is not the least bit surprising to me, either. It is well known around the local area that both he and the disgraced Bonzi Wells are involved in such things, but Zach always has seemed to play well enough to make it worth putting up with wherever he has been.

At some point, hopefully soon, both will mature and be forced to recognize the errors of their ways. Bonzi threw away his NBA career, and it would appear that Zach is about to shorten his. A shame for two talented players from east central Indiana.
    Yup, I havent heard many good things about Bonzi either. He seems to be somewhat modest though. I drive by his house frequently and it isn't anything over the top. Even going back to his days at Central though I haven't heard much good about him.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Let's hold on for a second.

While I am tempted to implicate Zach just like everybody else, I think we need to stop for a second and realize where Randolph is coming from.

This might be a good friend of his from when he was young and did a lot of these same things. The guy probably had no credit or money in order to make his own money. He might know "the drug game" having grown up around it. Randolph realizes that a $50,000-$100,000 "investment" in his childhood friend is less about what the guy is doing and more about "how can I help my friend's livelihood without hurting my own?". Many of these NBA players have families that extend beyond their parents. Many of them don't even have parents that care enough to call family. This might be Zach's way of allowing his friend to support himself regardless of what he is actually doing. If Randolph handed his friend a stack of $75,000 cash you would better believe it would have gone dry quickly and the friend would be back for more and more and more and more.

I am not letting Randolph off the hook for being the "financier" of this, but it doesn't necessarily implicate Randolph for his friend's actions. Another thing, Randolph may have given his friend the cash to start a business in which Randolph had no clue it would be for running drugs.

This is the part where I throw Randolph under the bus:

I am sure Randolph knows about the venture, but wants to stay out of running drugs himself. I doubt Randolph gets a cut from "the business" outside of not having to give his buddy money. I am sure his "return" on his "investment" is getting good free weed at fairly low risk because he can deny his involvement in these allegations.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I'm having a hard time leaping from "car registered to Zach Randolph" to "major supplier according to the guy in the car."

My B.S. detector just popped a spring.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post

While I am tempted to implicate Zach just like everybody else, I think we need to stop for a second and realize where Randolph is coming from.

This might be a good friend of his from when he was young and did a lot of these same things. The guy probably had no credit or money in order to make his own money. He might know "the drug game" having grown up around it. Randolph realizes that a $50,000-$100,000 "investment" in his childhood friend is less about what the guy is doing and more about "how can I help my friend's livelihood without hurting my own?". Many of these NBA players have families that extend beyond their parents. Many of them don't even have parents that care enough to call family. This might be Zach's way of allowing his friend to support himself regardless of what he is actually doing. If Randolph handed his friend a stack of $75,000 cash you would better believe it would have gone dry quickly and the friend would be back for more and more and more and more.

I am not letting Randolph off the hook for being the "financier" of this, but it doesn't necessarily implicate Randolph for his friend's actions. Another thing, Randolph may have given his friend the cash to start a business in which Randolph had no clue it would be for running drugs.

I am sure Randolph knows about the venture, but wants to stay out of running drugs himself. I doubt Randolph gets a cut from "the business" outside of not having to give his buddy money. I am sure his "return" on his "investment" is getting good free weed at fairly low risk because he can deny his involvement in these allegations.
    This could all be true. But then again he's got to do a better job making sure his vehicles, lockers, and other assets aren't being used for this "business". After all, he's got the deep pockets.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I would give pause to coming out and saying Zach is the Nino Brown here before we know all the facts.....however, having hidden compartments built into your custom vehicles has to send the suspicion needle to red.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to makaveli For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    Uhhhhh, what? I've lived in/around muncie (8 miles away is the furthest I've been) my entire life, and outside of stories about him being just an *******, I've never heard things about him tied in with running drugs.

Matter of fact, he's actually pretty visible in the community. From what I've been told from friends that are BSU athletes, he's at the gym almost everyday working out for hours at a time. Also you can find him every Sunday bowling here in town. I also know that he plays a LOT of golf. As you can see some of his rides at Crestview quite often, and he actually drives out and plays at Hickory Hills a few times a week, which is about a 30min drive from his home.

Bonzi has done enough to soil his name around here, and in many other areas. Unless some how there is a news story that connects him in some way, it's probably best to leave him out of it.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post

You don't have clean hands when you're the financial backer of a drug ring. You go down as well, especially when everything is in your name.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I'm more surprised Zach is still in the NBA than him being busted for drugs.
    Did you pay much attention to the NBA this year? Zach posted 21/12, played decent defense and transformed that Grizzlies team in to a playoff contender.

Sure Zach has always had his off-court transgressions, but my main issue with him has always been how he played the game. This year he turned everything around and became a productive NBA player. I hope he gets through this.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Isaac For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    I guess the 11.2M this past season wasn't quite enough to "feed the family" so he needed supplemental income.

You have to wonder about the IQ of people like that. Dealing? It's already like he is winning the lottery with every single paycheck he gets. If he wants to smoke the weed, why can't he have someone else buy it? Deal it to make extra money? Seriously, what an idiot and a loser (if it is all true, and it seems totally consistent with what we know about the guy).
    Because people like that are infuatauted with "keeping it real"

Want to live up to some pathetic image of being gangsta/hood/whatever

to be a part of anything like that when you have millions is simply mindboggling

33. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

HC