Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Does Hansbrough have Meniere's disease?

  1. #1
    Release Psycho T pwee31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,171

    Default Does Hansbrough have Meniere's disease?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9...re%27s_disease

    Ménière's disease (pronounced /meɪnˈjɛərz/[1]) is a disorder of the inner ear that can affect hearing and balance to a varying degree. It is characterized by episodes of vertigo and tinnitus and progressive hearing loss, usually in one ear. It is caused by lymphatic channel dilation,[2] affecting the drainage of endolymph. It is named after the French physician Prosper Ménière, who first reported that vertigo was caused by inner ear disorders in an article published in 1861. The condition affects people differently; it can range in intensity from being a mild annoyance to a chronic, lifelong disability
    I saw it mentioned in this chat

    http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=977

    Cain in New Zealand:
    Can Hansbrough be a legit starter for the Pacers?

    Steve Kyler:

    Tyler has an inner ear issue - which I believe is Meniere's Disease - mainly because I have it too. - the Pacers won't say and I have not seen Tyler since I heard about his issue to talk to him about it.

    From what I was told Tyler suffers from pretty bad symptoms, including dizziness, and vertigo (fortunately I don't) - the good news is you can be very functional with this condition if you manage your sodium.

    The bad news is it effects your balance and coordination pretty severally and running up and down the court is something he'll have to learn to adjust to.

    I think Tyler has to get back on the court and prove he can play 80 plus games before we can talk about him as a starter.


  2. #2
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,671

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does Hansbrough have Meniere's disease?

    Whether it is something simple or Meniere's disease....what perplexes me is why it has only gotten this bad the second he dawned a Pacer uniform when he ( as far as we knew ) never encountered any of this during his College career.

    And don't say cuz we're cursed......
    Last edited by CableKC; 05-26-2010 at 10:06 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Member bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,587

    Default Re: Does Hansbrough have Meniere's disease?

    I think there's been a thread on this already.

    Meniere's is relatively common compared to other causes of persistent dizziness. That being said, dizziness is poorly understood and difficult to treat and diagnose. Furthermore, speculating that someone has Meniere's because you yourself have it is obviously ridiculous. I don't think we have any way of knowing or guessing what Tyler's health issues are and speculating on them will probably be pointless.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to bulldog For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Member bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,587

    Default Re: Does Hansbrough have Meniere's disease?

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whether it is something simple or Meniere's disease....what perplexes me is why it has only gotten this bad the second he dawned a Pacer uniform when he ( as far as we knew ) never encountered any of this during his College career.
    Meniere's most commonly appears in the 20's, 30's, 40's. Again, though, that doesn't point to Meniere's could be any of a million things, even his doctor probably doesn't know for sure.

  7. #5
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,522

    Default Re: Does Hansbrough have Meniere's disease?

    Some guy on the Indystar boards claimed something is wrong wither Tyler's spine and neck alignment. Something about one of this shoulders being higher and this neck off center is causing all this.

  8. #6

    Default Re: Does Hansbrough have Meniere's disease?

    Why don't we just put our rookies (or really..second year playesr) in a protective bubble..
    Last edited by Sookie; 05-26-2010 at 11:19 PM.

  9. #7
    On the Vogel Wagon gummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,929
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does Hansbrough have Meniere's disease?

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some guy on the Indystar boards claimed something is wrong wither Tyler's spine and neck alignment. Something about one of this shoulders being higher and this neck off center is causing all this.
    What? I can't hear you.

    Seriously, we're reduced to gossip from RATS now?
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

    "Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

    "Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

  10. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,150

    Default Re: Does Hansbrough have Meniere's disease?

    Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What? I can't hear you.

    Seriously, we're reduced to gossip from RATS now?
    As opposed to this bastion of inner truth?

  11. #9

    Default Re: Does Hansbrough have Meniere's disease?

    Here's the real question... do the Pacers approach the draft and free agency as though Tyler's not going to play next year and/or ever again? Does his situation put more emphasis on obtaining a quality PF?

    I would say yes, though it's clear that the PG situation is the more desperate one, especially since Price will probably miss and/or be completely ineffective next season...

  12. #10
    On the Vogel Wagon gummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,929
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does Hansbrough have Meniere's disease?

    Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As opposed to this bastion of inner truth?
    I don't get your point.

    I'm saying that all this speculation is funny. Some guy suggesting Tyler has a disease based mostly on the fact that he has it and then throwing out random stuff from a message board of notoriously low quality. I think it's ridiculous. You certainly don't have to agree.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

    "Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

    "Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

  13. #11

    Default Re: Does Hansbrough have Meniere's disease?

    Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't get your point.

    I'm saying that all this speculation is funny. Some guy suggesting Tyler has a disease based mostly on the fact that he has it and then throwing out random stuff from a message board of notoriously low quality. I think it's ridiculous. You certainly don't have to agree.
    But on the other hand its not like the Pacers are being completely open about the situation, so it leaves this open to speculation. Will he play again 90-100 percent healthy? That is the multi-million dollar question. Really sad because from his limitedhealthy minutes on the floor, the kid really did show potential. Not when he came back dizzy.

    I'm just hoping that Price and Hansbrough will be alright next year. But if not we still have Hibbert Granger and Rush and that is a pretty solid foundation. Add in the fact the 10th pick is really going to net us value this year and we have tons of expirings that could be used to acquire an athletic big.

  14. #12
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,522

    Default Re: Does Hansbrough have Meniere's disease?

    Here is the thread from the Star Message Board, a few months old.

    Im not claiming to know anything about this.

    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...6-9683bd0128c8

Similar Threads

  1. Life as a rookie: Tyler Hansbrough
    By pwee31 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-21-2009, 12:28 PM
  2. Tbird analysis: An in depth study of Tyler Hansbrough
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 05:34 PM
  3. The Five Stages Of Accepting Tyler Hansbrough
    By Peter_sixtyftsixin in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-28-2009, 07:19 AM
  4. Hansbrough Vs. Griffin Vs. Hill
    By 1984 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 05:17 PM
  5. Hansbrough a year ago.
    By RWB in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 03:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •