Thread: best coach / worst coach

Default best coach / worst coach

Saw this kind of topic on the Colts board so was just wondering what everyone's opinions are as far as the current active coaches...who is the best and who is the worst?

My vote for best is :

Jerry Sloan...has always taken good players and made a Great Team out of all the pieces.

Worst?

Jim O Brien....and that is me trying as hard as I can do take a third party view.
    JOB is a silly man

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Re: best coach / worst coach

Best : Phil Jackson - 10 rings, end of story

Worst: Don Nelson : I just cant stand him
    Sittin on top of the world!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Gregg Popovich is the best.

The worst is Flip Saunders.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to microwave_oven For This Useful Post:

I think what Larry Brown has done over his career is pretty amazing. He burns bright and fast. As much as his players hate him, they sure respect him after their days are done.

As for worst, man, it's really tough to look at the below list and not say Jimmy. I will agree that Don Nelson is a tool, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...n_head_coaches
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I don't know that I can just pick one.

For best you have Rick Aldeman, Jerry Sloan, Greg P, and how can you not include Phil Jackson? You also have to give other not so popular coaches like Scott Skiles, Doc Rivers, and Rick Carlise there are pretty good themselves.

It's really hard to pick the worst. I defiantly don't think much of Coach O'Brien but I can't say he is the worst.

I know it's not fair to them but I just can't consider a coach to be the best coach when he has the best team and in particular the best player in the NBA.

If I could take away all of the quirks and sense of being a vagabond from Larry Brown it would be him hands down.

But since that is a package deal I would probably choose Scott Skiles. He does more with less than anyone not named Brown, IMO. Nate McMillan is also a very good coach IMO.

As for worst, yea I have never been able to figure out how Flip Saunders keeps getting a job in the NBA and I hate with the passion of a white hot sun watching almost any game that Don Nelson, Jim O'Brien or Mike D'Ntoni coaches in.

But overall I'm going with Flip.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Best: Larry Brown
    Worst: Probably Jay Triano

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Best: Larry Brown
    Worst: Jim O'Brien

Alvin Gentry has done a fine job this year I think, Larry Brown is one of the all time greats, Scott Skiles, Popovich is excellent, Jerry Sloan. These guys are at the top of the list I think. Larry would probably be the best except that he just can't stay in one place and shape a franchise the way Jerry Sloan and Pop have.

The worst has to be Jim, it's been 4 years of hell here in Indiana. I'd say Jay Triano too, maybe the only guy Jim outcoached all year
    But Jay has not had enough tenure to match the level of badness that Jim has.

Popovich and Sloan for the tie.

As for bad coaches, it is either Zeke or JOb. I don't believe in the style that Zeke, JOb and Don Nelson play. Nelson is actually a player's coach unlike Zeke and JOb...so I think he gets better mileage out of his players. All things considered, I think JOb is the worst coach, and let me tell you why.

JOb, in the face of all reason, will continue to proceed with his failed strategy. Some people call him stubborn here....and I guess I saw some of that...but I really didn't get it at the time. I think those people were more perceptive than I was.

The worst thing you can do as a coach is to continue a strategy that is proven wrong...and refuse to adjust...because you believe in a certain style and want to make it happen. Yes, stick-to-it-iveness is a good quality...but taken to far it's simple stupidity...or maybe a softer word for it is stubborn. We've heard for years now that the players are trying to "get it", but it's been slow coming. Well, I think the coach is the problem. He is the one who doesn't get it.

Edit: BTW, some will defend JOb by looking at his past. The problem with that is, the players he is coaching now are different...and he has not adjusted his style.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Best: Phil Jackson--I don't care if he has had the best players in the world, it is extremely difficult to win one title, and the man has won 10. I never saw Jordan or Kobe win one without him
    Close second: Greg Popovich

Worst: Right now, probably Jay Triano

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

Errrr...Zeke is not an active coach, BNG.

Very Best: Pop, Brown, Jackson, Sloan

Yeah, Jackson has had great players but I think we've seen plenty of evidence that talent, by itself, is not enough to win championships. In fact, when you have multiple superstars the coach's ability to manage things may be even more important.

Very Worst: Saunders, JOB, Nelson...maybe Triano, but probably too early for him to make the very worst list.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

streets ahead

Mike Smith

Jim Caldwell

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

Best: Phil...no questions asked...you can talk all you want about him having the great players but Stockton and Malone never won with Sloan...not to mention that there are a lot of great players that have never won a ring, ie: Barkley, Ewing, Pistol Pete, Dominique, and yes, sadly...Reggie. LeBron couldn't do it this year even with picking up Jamison, an aging Shaq, and "all-star" Mo Williams. It takes great players no matter what. Jordan and Scottie were great, Kobe and Shaq/Pau were great, the Big 3 in Boston, Duncan and Robinson/Parker/Ginobili, those are just some recent great combinations.... but there is so much more that goes into making those great players play as a TEAM. Phil Jackson has got that science pretty much figured out. 10 rings..maybe 11, I mean there isn't much else I can say

Worst: JOB, good thing we picked up that option on his contract prior to the season starting. I think that was meant to provide a sense of "confidence" or be a re-assuring measure...welp, that was a total disaster. Why pick up an option on a guy who really has done nothing but dig us into a deeper and deeper whole. These past couple of years have been tough to watch. I would have made him sweat it out this year and it might have done him a little good. Could have given him the extension after progress was actually made.

why of course is is Jim O'Brien. surely any coach would have gotten the team to win many, many more gqames then they have won. Doesn't matter that the national experts picked the pacers to win fewer games in each of Jim's first two seasons, doesn't matter that the over/under was in the low 30's and the actually won 36 games. None of it matters, he's the worst coach.

I shouldn't say anything actually. I just want soo bad for the pacers do to really well this next season. Of course if they do it will be for some other reason than the coach, it has to be

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

I wonder if fans of other teams would say that JOB is the worst... Someone should post this question on another team's forum.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mildlysane For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder if fans of other teams would say that JOB is the worst... Someone should post this question on another team's forum.
    I think we would have a lot of votes of their own coach for the worst.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post
    It would be a useless endeavor.

JOB is so bad that no one else even knows he exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    why of course is is Jim O'Brien. surely any coach would have gotten the team to win many, many more gqames then they have won. Doesn't matter that the national experts picked the pacers to win fewer games in each of Jim's first two seasons, doesn't matter that the over/under was in the low 30's and the actually won 36 games. None of it matters, he's the worst coach.

I shouldn't say anything actually. I just want soo bad for the pacers do to really well this next season. Of course if they do it will be for some other reason than the coach, it has to be
    Well, I noticed that he's one of two guys to have coached at least three seasons and still have a sub .500 record. The other is Alvin Gentry, who someone nominated for best above.

But Buck, you know it's not about wins and loses, it's about style of play. Now, if his unorthodox style was winning, it'd be another matter. But he's losing more and more every year sticking with a system that people feel does not fit his players at all.

Certainly you can argue that that's not his fault, it's management's. But guys like Skiles and Brown win no matter who they have. I still say Milwaukee has less talent than us, and they won 14 more games than us. And granted, Brown would change half his roster every two weeks if given the chance, but he still wins regardless of if he gets his way or not.

kegboy, I think this offensive system fits our players the best. We cannot play a power post up system. We don't have the post up players. We really can't go to a pick and roll system we don't have the point guard who can run it. No, this system is the best for this group of players. We don't have a penetrator, we don't have any players who demand a double team, we don't have a creator - if it weren't for an exellent system (which I don't really like personally, but it maximizes our talent) the offense would be about the worst in the NBA

I am Larry Brown's biggest fan, I think he is a miracle worker, but he didn't win in NY. Probably unfair, but the record wasn't good there.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 05-27-2010 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    kegboy, I think this offensive system fits our players the best. We cannot play a power post up system. We don't have the post up players. We really can't go to a pick and roll system we don't have the point guard who can run it. No, this system is the best for this group of players. We don't have a penetrator, we don't have any players who demand a double team, we don't have a creator - if it weren't for an exellent system (which I don't really like personally, but it maximizes our talent) the offense would be about the worst in the NBA

I am Larry Brown's biggest fan, I think he is a miracle worker, but he didn't win in NY. Probably unfair, but the record wasn't good there.
    I'm not going to get into it with you, I'll just say I could not disagree more with that first paragraph.

And yes, Larry bombed in NY, but ignoring the fact that everyone and their mother blames Isiah and only Isiah for that, he only had the one year. His first year in San Antonio was horrible, and his first year in Philly wasn't great either, but he made them winners immediately after.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert Stilinski View Post
    It would be a useless endeavor.

JOB is so bad that no one else even knows he exists.
    That's not true, I've been trying to trade him around the office for Vinnie Del Negro for quite some time. No takers.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Best: Jerry Sloan... he does more with the talent he has than anyone. There is no surprise that players truly develop playing under him. They are forced to be mature basketball players. He expects excellence. The one thing I would take Phil Jackson here for is the way he handles his players. He uses Jedi mind tricks on them and is amazing. He relates to his players better than any other coach. Best young coach for me is Scott Brooks.

Worst: Eddie Jordan. I know he just got fired, but man is he bad. Terrible bad. Most overrated: D'Antoni is very overrated in my opinion, but by no means is he a terrible coach. I am not going to crucify him (or JOB) for having terrible talent.

Other notable coaches:

Popovich. I know he has had very good players, but he maximizes what they do. He is also probably the best game/time manager of any coach there is.

Scott Skiles: Too hard-nosed that he wears out his welcome. He needs to stay in a place like Milwaukee and never leave in order to have a great career.

McMillan. He is a great players coach and gets the game. You knew he was destined to be a coach after his basketball career was over just by watching him play the game. He coaches with the same savviness and fervor that he played with. Excellent young coach IMO. He handles his players extremely well and shows them respect while at the same time demanding it in return with a good balance.

I can't for the life of me figure out who is coaching in Seattle. Little help?

Best- I'd have to say Larry Brown. He's turned more losers to winners than anyone and the Bobcats are no exception. He even put Indiana back on the map.

Worst- Jim O'brien. He has taken Indiana off the map.