Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vertigo puts Hansbrough in unsteady position

"such is life" SYDNEY MILLER AUSTRALIA31's Avatar

Default Vertigo puts Hansbrough in unsteady position

THIS IS THE LAST TIME YOU HEAR MY VOICE , NEXT TIME YOU WILL SEE MY FACE

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: hansbrough still has vertigo

Addreses the elephant in the room, but nothing new.
    No recent comment other then to say he is working out hard.
    We know all this through other stories the past few weeks.
    We just need to keep our fingers crossed this is almost over for him.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Jim O'Brien's comments are about a month old and that is the only thing in the article that indicates that Tyler still has vertigo. He probably does still have it, but I think the title of this thread is a little deceiving IMO

"such is life" SYDNEY MILLER AUSTRALIA31's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jim O'Brien's comments are about a month old and that is the only thing in the article that indicates that Tyler still has vertigo. He probably does still have it, but I think the title of this thread is a little deceiving IMO
    im only going off what was said in the article, "Tyler is going to be fine," O'Brien said during an interview on NBA TV. "He's having a good summer. He still has a little vertigo. That's something you're not 100 percent sure exactly when it's going to clear up."
    THIS IS THE LAST TIME YOU HEAR MY VOICE , NEXT TIME YOU WILL SEE MY FACE

I mean both the blog and the article by Wells are just summaries of what's been happening for the masses, maybe. It's mostly just stuff the die hards already knew, because it was out there.

Wells just pieced some of it together and made it more accessible for a larger audience, imo. All of it's covered in PD threads over the summer, pretty extensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Agreed, which is why it now display the article's title instead. When I saw the original title, I thought there was an update saying he still has it, which is a bit different.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Vertigo puts Hansbrough in unsteady position

I'm somewhat encouraged by the talk from the Doc about re-calibrating your body to adjust to the vertigo, which essentially makes it go away. What Tyler's doing right now is probably gradually doing that. The wild card is what happens when contact is re-introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by SYDNEY MILLER AUSTRALIA31 View Post
    im only going off what was said in the article, "Tyler is going to be fine," O'Brien said during an interview on NBA TV. "He's having a good summer. He still has a little vertigo. That's something you're not 100 percent sure exactly when it's going to clear up."
    Understood. It's just that the quote from Jim was taken weeks ago, so it's a little bit outdated now.

I think it's a worthwhile article because he takes the only facts we have, Jim saying that Hands has vertigo, and he goes to a doctor to get as much info as he can. Detailing a solution is promising. Of course, we don't know if the vertigo is just a symptom of a greater problem, like post concussion syndrom.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Wells makes it sound like this is new info that Obie released this month, but we've known since before summer league that the issue was vertigo. I want to say we've known since like the All-Star Break. Am I wrong in that?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Wells makes it sound like this is new info that Obie released this month, but we've known since before summer league that the issue was vertigo. I want to say we've known since like the All-Star Break. Am I wrong in that?
    Jim let is slip on his radio show, I'm thinking either in late Feb or very early march. there was a thread about it.

Edit: actually it was March 4th.
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=51476
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 07-29-2010 at 03:29 PM.

It sounds to me like he is putting in the work, but still experiencing some of the effects of the symptoms of vertigo -- which still leaves the question what exactly does he have? I take it they don't know for sure. And if the doctor quoted in the article is correct, vertigo is a condition that can be overcome with time.

I hope he will return to the court for us, but the question is can he ever bang in the post again? If he is effected even in the slightest in this area, his career as we know it could be very well over. Time is the key here, and when he is allowed to have full contact we will know a lot more.

It really sucks for us as fans, but it must really suck for Tyler. I pray he can get back to what he does, I know we all want to see the old Tyler back on the court ASAP!
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    It sounds to me like he is putting in the work, but still experiencing some of the effects of the symptoms of vertigo -- which still leaves the question what exactly does he have? I take it they don't know for sure. And if the doctor quoted in the article is correct, vertigo is a condition that can be overcome with time.

I hope he will return to the court for us, but the question is can he ever bang in the post again? If he is effected even in the slightest in this area, his career as we know it could be very well over. Time is the key here, and when he is allowed to have full contact we will know a lot more.

It really sucks for us as fans, but it must really suck for Tyler. I pray he can get back to what he does, I know we all want to see the old Tyler back on the court ASAP!
    Im hoping he recovers as well. He's a bang in the post type of guy so I just don't see him backing down. Time will tell all...

I think time has already told...
    The Pacers better rethink any plans they had of Tyler being a contributing member of this team.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I think time has already told...
    The Pacers better rethink any plans they had of Tyler being a contributing member of this team.
    And you're certain (enough to make such a comment) this problem doesn't simply take longer than other issues to recover from because.......?

I wonder though, if the brain has to readjust to movements..wouldn't it be best to have him practice with contact? (Just make sure no one wacks him in the head...)

I hope the reports are correct. Kids don't play the way Tyler does if they aren't in love with the game...if they don't live and breathe it..and those are the types of kids you hope have a long career. I just love the players that get after it the way Tyler does.

It could be a matter of re-calibrating one step at a time. First simple movements, then normal-paced, non-sports movements, then higher-activity (like working out, running), then the sport at slow pace, then at full speed, then finally with contact.

But admittedly I'm guessing. Still, I think it fits somewhat with what we're reading, and I think it makes some sense.

Won't know for sure until it plays itself out, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    And you're certain (enough to make such a comment) this problem doesn't simply take longer than other issues to recover from because.......?
    If the problem takes this long to recover from then I don't think it's the type of thing you do recover from. IOW, 'healing time' is not really the problem. It doesn't heal. It's something IMHO that will always be there. He may learn how to compensate some... he may learn how to minimize aggravating it... But I'm talking living life with it, not playing a rough and tumble fast-paced sport with it.

I am not certain of my comment... But I'm certain enough of it to say the Pacers would be fools if they are making long term plans with Tyler in them. The pendulum has swung. They have to seriously entertain the idea that this is career ending or will stunt his game enough his value to the team will not be worth the roster spot.

Yeah, he's here now, under contract, and they can play out the string and hope for the best but I wouldn't be turning down any trades or overlooking any draft picks because we already have Tyler penciled into that slot of the player we'd be getting.

Seriously, what are we in... the 8th or 9th month of him suffering vertigo? This isn't going away...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Pacers should be cautious, but its hardly time to write the kid off.
    Last edited by judicata; 07-30-2010 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Too Aggro

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to judicata For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    This!
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

I don't understand this bit:

"A normal response to vertigo would be if you put your head on a bat and began running around in circles with the bat on the ground," Dr. Vincent Ostrowski of the Midwest Ear Institute said.
    Even after I dismiss the idea of breakdancing on top of Count Dracula from my mind, I don't see why he calls this "a normal response to vertigo" rather than "a means of simulating vertigo."

Isn't what he means that if you spin around quickly using a baseball bat as a center point, that you'll get a feeling similar to vertigo? Or is he saying something else?

Anyway, we can just wish the kid well.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post

Even after I dismiss the idea of breakdancing on top of Count Dracula from my mind, I don't see why he calls this "a normal response to vertigo" rather than "a means of simulating vertigo."

Isn't what he means that if you spin around quickly using a baseball bat as a center point, that you'll get a feeling similar to vertigo? Or is he saying something else?

Anyway, we can just wish the kid well.
    No, he just worded it poorly. I read that a couple of times myself.

Listening to local sports talk radio yesterday (for about 45 minutes) the callers I heard acted like this was the first they had heard of this terrible news.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    I would not write the guy off, but I would not write his name into our long term plans in pen either. Just take a wait and see approach with the guy.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post

It sounds like he's saying that the way you deal with vertigo is the way we deal with gaining our balance after spinning around the bat. You kind of walk slowly and stumble and finally find your balance.

Sounds like the doc is saying Tyler will ultimately find his balance--it won't be permanent. That's good. My fear is that another incident will simply cause it to reoccur.

As funny as that previous thread was with pics of guys wearing head gear, I really think some kind of thin, soft helmet ought to be considered for Tyler. Kareem looked goofy when he chrystened goggles, but now they're standard. And RIP looked really goofy with that Darth Vador get up, but we all got used to it eventually.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

I'm also guessing but it also seems that this is something one lives with, having good and bad days. I don't doubt that it will get better but it could be months or years and playing ball is not going to be what the doc ordered.

The next few months will be all important for Tyler to decide whether to hang in or take a sabbatical from ball playing. This would be a big loss for the pacers because Tyler IMO can be a starting 4 on a team that needs a tough hustle ballplayer.