Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

And now...Mock Drafts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: And now...Mock Drafts!

RE: Chad Ford's Mock

I'd take Patrick Patterson before I took Ed Davis. Heck, I'd take Bledsoe or Bradley before Ed Davis....
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupert Stilinski View Post
      A very solid point, and to be honest, something I hadn't even considered. I'm with you on him being best suited as a 7th or 8th man, and I think that's why I hadn't considered the pressure situation.

My expectations are not for the 10th pick (no matter who he is) to turn this franchise around, but the local media would be all over Hayward. The pressure would indeed be immense.

At least it would generate a little buzz though, for a team that is sorely in need of some.
      I think for most of us we do not expect to Hayward to come in and have the immediate impact like Granger. Hayward is definitely not a top 8 pick who slides becuase of some concerns, but the casual fans are not going to see that. They will see a lottery pick and hometown hero and expect him to step up. I think coming to the Pacers would be the worst thing for his development. The fans here will expect him to come in and immediately contribute or even save the franchise. Being the home town kid puts tremendous pressure on a guy.

My big concern over Hayward is his drastic decrease in his 3-pt field goal percentage. I do not see Hayward as being the guy who consistently gets to the rim at the NBA level so he will have to knock down the three. I know some fans have said it decreased because of more attention he got defensively and that he will not get the same pressure at the NBA level. I am just concerned about that. With Reddick the guy improved all four years at Duke while the defensive pressure mounted.

Comment

I like the projection of Ed Davis. For all the talk about BPA, by me, I see Ed as a really good fit with Hibbert. I remember watching Ed on that Championship team and thinking, wow, this guy has the ability to be an impact pro, even moreso than anyone on that team including Hansbrough and Lawson.

Just my opinion, but Ed struck me, at that point, as raw and not as skilled as Hansbrough or Lawson, but physically much more impactful and gifted. His length and how mobile he was for a big. At least at the college level, he seemed to be a handful for opponents, especially from a disruptive defensive point, also in a guy who impacts plays outside of his area.

I see him as a guy who could really supply much of whats missing on the team right now. I think he is maybe the victim of expectations in being rated in this draft. I see quite a bit of upside with him. Especially for a team lacking athleticism.

I also think with about 15-20 pounds of muscle he'll be able to play 4 and 5, so you can play him with Hansbrough/McRoberts and Hibbert, imo.

I'm excited to see his measureables.
        Last edited by Speed; 05-19-2010, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
          My big concern over Hayward is his drastic decrease in his 3-pt field goal percentage. I do not see Hayward as being the guy who consistently gets to the rim at the NBA level so he will have to knock down the three. I know some fans have said it decreased because of more attention he got defensively and that he will not get the same pressure at the NBA level. I am just concerned about that. With Reddick the guy improved all four years at Duke while the defensive pressure mounted.
          I can understand this concern, but I think it just depends one what kind of shooter you think he really is. Is he closer to the 45% shooter from three he was his freshman season, or is he closer to the sub 30% shooter he was last year?

I never watched him in high school, but I know he was brought to Butler as a "lights out shooter." I think with his form and his height he will be much closer to his freshman year version.

Redick's numbers might have improved, but he also has to be considered one of the greatest college shooters of all time. I'm not sure he's the best guy to compare shooting numbers to, but I can understand the concern. I just think he is a better shooter than those numbers indicated last season. I also think it is admirable that he found other ways to get his points and help the team when his outside shot wasn't falling.

Comment

Originally posted by pwee31 View Post
            Are the Pacers really looking closely at Gordon Hayward?
            God, I hope not
            Sittin on top of the world!

Comment

Originally posted by vnzla81 View Post
              Chad Ford better comes up with a better mock draft, this one is crap, Patterson in the 20's?
              I feel ya but,

Chad Ford was the only one who correctly predicted Bird would take Tyler last year

Comment

Please note, I'm not advocating picking Hayward at 10, I'm just saying if we aren't taking a point guard, it makes just as much sense to take another wing as it does to take another power forward.
                I agree with your point,

Bottom line is the Pacers have to, absolutely have to, take the best player available regardless of position.

Bird reached last year and it cost us some good PG's

He has to get it right this year. If Im Bird I try and switch picks with the Timberwolves. I would make a run for Ramon Sessions and the number 4 , for our number 10 and whatever they want outside of Granger/Hibbert

Comment

I like that Zoubek/Brackins second round mock... I think both of those guys have places in the league. Regardless of whether they end up being more than 7-11 rotation players, and I think Brackins could be more potentially, picking up a couple NBA bigs in the second round would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupert Stilinski View Post

Hayward is a local kid, a good guy, and he has a good chance to be a very high quality complimentary player.

That's the PROBLEM, the Pacers don't need another good guy complimentary player, local or otherwise. Not to mention the Pacers already have that in McBob. The Pacers need to draft a player at #10 who will be more than that. Fans need to elevate their expectations of the quality of player to be drafted, and quit thinking in terms of a complimentary role player.

This inane notion that the Pacers can't get a better PF than what they have in Hans and McBob is ludicous. Neither is that great nor is Hans a guarantee to EVER be healthy again. Nor is Foster. Why chance both will be able to be healthy and contribute next season? Why pass on a player at PF that can be the future starting PF for years to select a local kid who is a "tweener" that can be best described as a 4 in the terms "stretch forward?" Personally, I've had my fill of "stretch forwards."

If Bird selects Hayward at #10, Herb Simon had best fire him on the spot.

Comment

From CBS Sports
                      http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/1...;pageContainer

1. Washington
                      John Wall, PG, Kentucky. The Wizards now have a second asset (other than a virtual National Treasury of cap-friendly money) with which to attract free agents. They will go down as the lottery's big winner, but don't discount the Heat. The path to their point guard of the future - Arenas - just became clearer.

2. Philadelphia
                      DeMarcus Cousins, C, Kentucky. While teams are calling the Wizards about Arenas, the 76ers should expect at least as many pleas for the second pick and a shot at Ohio State swingman Evan Turner. The 76ers would rather have a big man, even if he has Stanley Roberts written all over him. Alas, it wouldn't be the first vastly overrated center taken No. 2 in NBA history. It's a tradition.

3. New Jersey
                      Evan Turner, SF, Ohio State. Devin Harris lost a lot of games as a member of the Nets during the 2009-10 season, and his run of bad luck continues. He would have been in Arenas' enviable position -- likely to get dealt out of a bad situation -- had form held and the Nets landed the rights to Wall. Instead, he'll find himself passing to Turner next season. It could be worse ... but not much.

4. Minnesota
                      Wesley Johnson, SF, Syracuse. The Timberwolves no doubt had their eye on Turner when they arrived at the lottery in the second seat. Dropping two spots to No. 4 sounds bad, but they still get a much needed upgrade at small forward. Johnson has to like this position -- it means being reunited with old Orange teammate Jonny Flynn.

5. Sacramento
                      Derrick Favors, PF, Georgia Tech. This is the guy the Kings would have taken third, so apparent bad luck in the lottery really wasn't bad luck at all. Why a power forward when two of your three best holdovers are big men? Because before you say they should draft for need, consider this: A last-place team's greatest need is talent. Favors is clearly the best left at this point.

6. Golden State
                      Al-Farouq Aminu, SF, Wake Forest. Warriors fans have to be hoping Cousins gets taken earlier because no team has a worse history drafting big men. Dropping from fourth to sixth probably means losing Johnson, but landing Aminu means adding much needed athleticism to the small-forward position. They can only hope he has as long and generally successful a run as a similar pick in their not-so-distant past -- Antawn Jamison.

7. Detroit
                      Cole Aldrich, C, Kansas. The Pistons were this season's biggest underachievers, so who better to remedy that than a need-position player from one of college basketball's most consistent programs? Bill Laimbeer entered the league with a similar portfolio and turned out to be one of the franchise's all-time plums.

8. L.A. Clippers
                      Gordon Hayward, SF, Butler. For years, the Clippers tried to find a way to create a Dunleavy family reunion in Los Angeles, but dad Mike could never pry son Mike from the Warriors or Pacers. It wasn't just a paternal thing. Son Mike actually would have been a nice fit. Hayward, a similar talent, is, too.

9. Utah
                      Greg Monroe, PF, Georgetown. Not long ago, Team Europe would have jumped on an opportunity like this to add an intriguing talent such as Donatas Motiejunas to the mix. But the way Andrei Kirilenko has gone south, the Jazz has to be thinking this side of the Atlantic for a change. The board-sweeping Monroe is a nice addition to a roster that's likely to lose Carlos Boozer come July.

10. Indiana
                      Xavier Henry, SG, Kansas. The Pacers need firepower. The best shooting guard in the land. The next Reggie Miller. Henry assuredly isn't the latter, but he's the best shooting guard in the draft. That's not a bad catch when you're picking 10th.

11. New Orleans
                      Ed Davis, PF, North Carolina. The Hornets have fewer needs than most lottery teams because, frankly, they aren't really a lottery team. They're here because Chris Paul got hurt. No lottery team is in more of a best-athlete-available mode. Davis has to be the top guy on any draft board at this point.

12. Memphis
                      Ekpe Udoh, PF, Baylor. The Grizzlies entered last year's draft thinking they were a top-flight center away from becoming, well, what the Thunder became. Now they have to be aware they are nowhere near that status. Yes, they still need a center, but it's now obvious they need much, much more than that. This type of athlete is a start back in the right direction.

13. Toronto
                      Donatas Motiejunas, PF, Lithuania. What do you do when you know your star power forward isn't coming back, but you don't want to let him know you know he's not coming back? Motiejunas will be a great complement to Chris Bosh. Or so the Raptors will say on draft night. Actually, they hope he'll be a great replacement.

14. Houston
                      Luke Babbitt, SF, Nevada. Having dealt Carl Landry at the trade deadline, the Rockets could use more size even with Yao Ming returning. At the same time, they need someone who won't get in Yao's way, which Landry did at times. Babbitt is a rich man's Matt Bullard, who had a nice little career in Houston.

15. Milwaukee
                      Patrick Patterson, PF, Kentucky. The Bucks have one more chance to do something special before Michael Redd walks next summer. That kind of short-term mindset should get them thinking power forward. Patterson becomes a no-brainer once you head down that road.

Also CBS Sports
                      http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/1...;pageContainer

John Wall, G, Kentucky. After a season in which everything went wrong, the Wizards were due for some good fortune. How well the mix of Wall with Gilbert Arenas will work is difficult to predict, but Wall gives Washington a chance to rebuild around a potential star point guard. In a league suddenly loaded with point guards, the idea of taking a point guard first is no longer an issue, as it was even just two seasons ago when Derrick Rose was taken. Wall could grow into a worthy club member with Deron Williams, Rajon Rondo, Chris Paul, Rose and the league's other rapid, young point guards.

2. Philadelphia
                      Evan Turner, G, Ohio State. Cousins and Favors might have more potential to dominate and will earn close looks in the weeks before the draft, but Turner is a solid, safe pick and a very good fit. He brings unusual polish and offensive versatility at a time when players typically leave school before they can develop as he has. The closer the Sixers look, the more they might happily stick with Turner, who should fit nicely in between Andre Iguodala and Jrue Holiday.

3. New Jersey
                      DeMarcus Cousins, C, Kentucky. Cousins, with the draft's best combination of size and ability, might have the greatest potential to dominate or disappoint. He's only 19, and his potential shortcomings could be no more than part of the process for such a young player. If Wall and Turner are gone with the first two picks, Cousins might be the easiest pick of the draft, risky with the first pick but worth the gamble third. He might not be enough to attract LeBron James, but no one in this draft probably would have.

4. Minnesota
                      Derrick Favors F/ C, Georgia Tech. Had the Timberwolves won the lottery, it would have been interesting see if David Kahn would have taken yet another point guard. The fall to fourth, however, provides another less obvious quandary. The Wolves seem to have their share of power forwards who are not quite centers. Favors, however, would seem the obvious choice, if not exactly one to fill a need. Another very young prospect at just 18 years old, Favors did not produce offensively as consistently or efficiently as expected but should do well in workouts with explosive moves and good hands.

5. Sacramento
                      Wesley Johnson, SF, Syracuse. Johnson is probably not the most exciting prospect the Kings could find and might not have the upside of the top four picks. But the Kings have young big men developing and a guard who dominates the ball. Johnson could be a solid addition and rapid contributor.

6. Golden State
                      Al-Farouq Aminu, SF, Wake Forest. The Warriors took a one-year break from drafting athletic, multi-position big men in the lottery with last year's pick of Stephen Curry. It might be time to return to form. Aminu's skills and strength give him potential to move up a few spots after the individual workouts. The Warriors have not relied on a true center in years, however, and will have to look hard at Aldrich and Monroe, but Aminu might be tough to let slip any further.

7. Detroit
                      Cole Aldrich, C, Kansas. The Pistons have been using 35-year-old Ben Wallace in the middle, making the center position as good a spot as any to rebuild. The solid additions of Austin Daye and Jonas Jerebko last season should have Joe Dumars choosing between big men. Aldrich might be the most ready and well-rounded of the options left.

8. L.A. Clippers
                      Greg Monroe, C/PF, Georgetown. Assuming Blake Griffin returns as expected, the Clippers have a star to build around, along with cap room to spend in free agency. Monroe would give them another center to play in a rotation with Chris Kaman in the role Marcus Camby filled. A strong rebounder and passer, Monroe is nowhere near that polished but has outstanding potential as a finesse frontcourt player.

9. Utah
                      Ed Davis, PF, North Carolina. Though Davis was expected to have improved more last season, that potential is still clear. While the Knicks might be relieved that the pick they gave up to get Stephon Marbury from the Suns did not end up being a top-three selection, the Jazz has a chance to develop a frontcourt player the way it did Paul Millsap, especially if Carlos Boozer leaves in free agency.

10. Indiana
                      Ekpe Udoh, PF, Baylor. Danny Granger should not have looked so disappointed. This could work out well for the Pacers, especially if they are ready to move away from their reliance on 3-point bombing and volume shooting. With Roy Hibbert developing nicely at center, Udoh can offer athleticism at power forward between Hibbert and Granger, with an improving shot and solid rebounding and shot-blocking potential.

11. New Orleans
                      Donatas Motiejunas, PF, Benetton Treviso. Will be the next player compared to Dirk Nowitzki, though for now, Andrea Bargnani seems a better comparison and more reachable goal. With great size, he has similar shooting touch and a solid all-around offensive game.

12. Memphis
                      Patrick Patterson, PF, Kentucky. The Grizzlies could work hard to move up, and failing that, might move back. They have several picks to offer to a team that could still find their big man available a few spots later, and they would have reason to try, given that they would not seem to have a spot for another young power forward, having filled the roster with big men (Hasheem Thabeet, Zach Randolph, Marc Gasol, Darrell Arthur, Hamed Haddadi) in recent seasons. Patterson is their type and it would be too soon to grab one of the remaining wings, though they would better fill a need.

13. Toronto
                      Hassan Whiteside, PF/C, Marshall. If Chris Bosh moves on as seems likely, Andrea Bargnani can move to power forward, where he probably belongs, and the Raptors can look to develop a center and a defense. Whiteside has a lot of work to do offensively, but that is not the Raptors' problem. He is extremely long, jumps well and led the nation in blocked shots last season.

14. Houston
                      Daniel Orton, C, Kentucky. The Rockets have been unusually determined under GM Daryl Morey to ignore need to draft the player they like most. The depth of big men in the latter half of the lottery should allow them to get both. Orton's size would help behind Yao Ming, but teams will closely examine his knees in the coming weeks.

15. Milwaukee
                      Xavier Henry, G, Kansas. After a series of big men go in the lottery, the Bucks will likely start a run on wings. Though just a freshman, Henry appears the most NBA ready with a solid build and smooth offensive game. Henry could be a good complement for John Salmons or successor to Michael Redd. More than the other options, he seems suited for the discipline coach Scott Skiles would demand.

16. Minnesota
                      James Anderson, SG, Oklahoma State. Anderson could go a few spots earlier, but if the run on big men pushes him to the Wolves, David Kahn could take advantage of the opportunity to grab him. Kahn showed last season a determination to take the best available player rather than draft for need. Anderson would offer both, as a prolific and efficient scorer with good length for the position.

17. Chicago
                      Gordon Hayward, SF, Butler. Hayward surprised many by staying in the draft but does have an NBA-style game, with an ability to score off the dribble with either hand, shoot with range and move the ball in the offense. He might lack the lateral quickness to defend as a three but would need to get stronger to be a range-shooting four. The Bulls would be able to give him time to develop.

18. Miami
                      Solomon Alabi, C, Florida State. The years with Alonzo Mourning would make the Heat especially fond of a shot-blocker with Alabi's potential. He would bring the length the Heat has lacked, and his athleticism could make him more of a contributor offensively than advertised. But he is a project who would need some time, especially to defend bulkier centers.

19. Boston
                      Paul George, SF, Fresno State. The Celtics won a championship with James Posey coming off the bench, and George could offer similar length and athleticism, with outstanding shooting range. He'd need to become much more disciplined on both ends for the Celtics, but there might be no better place for him. They could use the addition of young athleticism.

20. San Antonio
                      Larry Sanders, PF/C, Virginia Commonwealth. Another team that traditionally drafts without regard to immediate need, Sanders might be a good fit for the Spurs, anyway, especially if Tiago Splitter does not come over. He does not have the bulk to defend consistently inside but is long, athletic and energetic enough to contribute in some matchups.

21. Oklahoma City
                      Damion James, SF, Texas. James would fit extremely well with the young and athletic Thunder. He struggled when asked to be a go-to scorer with Texas, but with Oklahoma City he would be able to be able to be an athletic role player with a good shooting touch and an NBA-ready body.

22. Portland
                      Avery Bradley, SG, Texas. With the league suddenly loaded with quick, scoring point guards, Bradley's ability to defend on the perimeter could be valuable. He shows signs of being a potentially prolific scorer himself, able to score off the dribble and shoot with range. His defense and ability to score in a halfcourt offense would fit well with the Blazers.

23. Minnesota
                      Luke Babbitt, SF, Nevada. The Wolves could go many directions with their third first-round pick, particularly with Ricky Rubio slotted to eventually join them. The roster changes that are needed and seem certain would make the needs and position irrelevant, but it might be difficult to take another guard, especially a point. Babbitt would offer the shooting touch and range to fit well around Rubio's playmaking or Johnny Flynn's speed, and would go from the Wolf Pack to the Wolves.

24. Atlanta
                      Eric Bledsoe, PG, Kentucky. After Jameer Nelson tore through the Hawks in the playoffs, Atlanta might be drawn to a tough, competitive point with greater quickness than Mike Bibby will ever show again. Bledsoe did not get much time at point with John Wall around and will need work and time at the position, but he could be a steal at this point of the first round.

25. Memphis
                      Willie Warren, PG, Oklahoma. Warren fell far from where he was projected to go before the season. There are red flags about Warren's attitude, including some strong comments from Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel in December, but none seems worth letting him slip much more and the Grizzlies have been known to gamble in recent seasons. He struggled with the greater offensive responsibility that came his way without Blake Griffin, but he did play well with Griffin, an indication he could fit well with Zach Randolph and the Grizzlies.

26. Oklahoma City
                      Kevin Seraphin, PF/C, Cholet (France). The Thunder has shown great patience in building around Kevin Durant and would happily wait for Seraphin to hone his skills to go with his outstanding strength and physical tools, either in the NBA or with another year in France. Though he needs time to develop offensively, he already shows a good skill set. Seraphin could still back out of the draft but might not be able to do better than a selection by Oklahoma City, a few miles up the road from his former home in Dallas.

27. New Jersey
                      Quincy Pondexter, SF, Washington. A rare senior in the first round, Pondexter benefited greatly from sticking around and improving his game. He has improved as a shooter but is still not an outstanding shooter, especially from range. He has, however, shown himself to be reliably productive. The Nets choice might be impacted with how they use their first pick, but they could use the immediate influx of talent rather than a less mature project.

28. Memphis
                      Stanley Robinson, SF, Connecticut. Opinions on Robinson are widely varied and he could go much earlier, though more of a consensus could come by the draft. An outstanding athlete with potential to cause mismatch problems, Robinson has not seemed to develop the consistency or well-rounded game that he would seem able to produce. His abilities, however, warrant a late first-round gamble, especially for a Memphis team with two first-round picks.

29. Orlando
                      Terrico White, SG, Mississippi. White might have been well-served to stick around for another season. White's scoring ability might fit well with an Orlando team that does not have many players geared toward getting their own shot. He did not develop as a point guard but could be a solid instant-offense type off the bench with the physical abilities to develop into a solid defender.
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      30. Washington
                      Jordan Crawford, SG, Xavier. Another player who draws mixed reviews, Crawford could move up or back in the next few weeks. His potential and offensive skills might fit well with a Washington team that needs to reload. The choice could depend on what the Wizards do with their own pick, but Crawford's stock has seemed to rise in recent weeks.
                      Last edited by RWB; 05-19-2010, 02:04 PM.
                      You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Comment

Final Mock I'll add.

From NBC sports
                        http://www.nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36...ns/sports-nba/

Wizards John Wall PG 6-4 195 Kentucky
                        Congratulations to the Wizards, who will almost certainly take Wall with the first pick. The bigger question is whether or not Gilbert Arenas is back with the Wizards or moved at a discounted price. But either way, Wall is now the future in Washington, despite the fact they don't have much to surround him with right now.

2. 76ers Evan Turner SG 6-7 217 Ohio State
                        I keep hearing Brandon Roy's name when people are talking about Turner, and perhaps no player is as NBA-ready as the Ohio State product. He should vie for Rookie of the Year in Philly, who were the other big winner on draft night. And if the Wizards somehow pass on Wall, the Sixers will gladly take him, even if it doesn't make a ton of sense with Jrue Holiday coming on.

3. Nets Derrick Favors SF 6-10 246 Georgia Tech
                        The Nets were the most popular losers on draft night, as dreams of LeBron started slipping away when they lost out on Mr. Wall. The pick here is either DeMarcus Cousins or Favors, and because Cousins is more C than PF in my mind, I'm going with Favors. I slept on him in Version 1, but he's going to be a Top 5 pick. He's still somewhat of a project - as in a guy who won't be ready to really produce for a couple years. I doubt he is in the running for Rookie of the Year and offensively, he's probably going to struggle. But a timeshare with Yi Jianlian might be just what the doctor ordered, and three years from now he could be a beast.

4. Timberwolves DeMarcus Cousins C 6-11 280 Kentucky
                        As usual, the Wolves had the same luck in their lottery that I have in Powerball, and Keno down at the local pub. Yes, The Wolves already have Al Jefferson and Kevin Love, but keep in mind that David Kahn is a man who seems to enjoy collecting guys who play the same position - at least with point guards. They could take a small forward like Al-Farouq Aminu or Wesley Johnson, which would make the most sense to almost everyone. But then again, this is the Wolves we're talking about. But even though it doesn't seem like it right now, Cousins could end up being the second best player in this draft.
                        5. Kings Al-Farouq Aminu SF 6-8 218 Wake Forest
                        What do the Kings need? They're pretty set at most positions, but the only sure bet is Tyreke Evans, who can play both guard spots. Small forward seems to be a place they could use help, and I like the freakishly athletic Aminu with this pick, although it could easily be Wesley Johnson instead.

6. Warriors Cole Aldrich C 6-11 245 Kansas
                        With the disastrous season the Warriors'' big men had (Andris Biedrins, Ronny Turiaf, Anthony Randolph, Brandan Wright), the Warriors would have loved to get their hands on Cousins, but that dream is now history. Um, good thing they won all those meaningless games for Nellie. A center really makes sense here and Cole Aldrich is the best one on the board. Can he play for Nellie? We may be close to finding out.

7. Pistons Wesley Johnson SF 6-7 195 Syracuse
                        The Pistons really wanted a center here, but it looks like both Cousins and Aldrich will be gone. If Aldrich is still there, I like him here. If not, small forward makes sense, and Johnson or Aminu should be the pick.

8. Clippers Greg Monroe PF 6-11 240 Georgetown
                        Monroe is a bit of a wildcard and could go anywhere from No. 5 to 10. The Clippers are still unsure of how healthy Blake Griffin's going to be, so Monroe might be a nice insurance pick.

9. Jazz (via Knicks) Patrick Patterson PF 6-8 223 Kentucky
                        Patterson reminds me of guys like Carl Landry, DeJuan Blair and Jason Thompson, and could end up being a double-double machine. The Jazz already have Carlos Boozer and Paul Millsap, but probably won't by the time Patterson is ready to make a significant contribution. Patterson's stock appears to be falling, and I may end up moving him down in the next version of this draft.

10. Pacers Gordon Hayward F 6-8 210 Butler
                        Do I really believe the Pacers will reach for Butler's phenom at No. 10? Not really, but it would be pretty cool if it happened, and would definitely sell some Pacer tickets in a hurry. Which is their second biggest issue, closely trailing the fact that they have a terrible basketball team. Hayward is going as high as 14 in other mocks I've seen, meaning he could easily jump up to play for his hometown team. And while this still seems to high for Hayward, his name just keeps coming up in the Indy Star. But if Hayward doesn't blow them away in workouts, look for the Pacers to take the popular pick, Ed Davis out of Carolina.

11. Hornets Ed Davis SF 6-9 215 North Carolina
                        The Hornets don't need a starting PF with David West still plugging along, but Davis will likely be the best player on the board. He has the potential to be an Al Horford clone, which is why he should go in the lottery. If he's not available, Epke Udoh or Daniel Orton is a likely choice.

12. Grizzlies Epke Udoh PF 6-11 240 Baylor
                        Zach Randolph isn't going to be around forever and Darrell Arthur hasn't exactly knocked anyone's socks off. Udoh averaged 14 and 10 at Baylor, but will probably be more of a role player in the NBA.

13. Raptors Daniel Orton C 6-10 260 Kentucky
                        Chris Bosh seems good as gone in Toronto, while Andrea Bargnani is a center only on paper. Orton would provide some immediate size and strength for the Raptors and seems to make a lot of sense here. The only problem is that Orton averaged just three points and three boards while playing behind some studs at UK last year, meaning he's going to be a project.

14. Rockets Xavier Henry G 6-6 210 Kansas
                        The Rockets have Aaron Brooks and Kevin Martin, but also don't really need any more big men who aren't centers. Henry's draft position is up in the air and he could easily go 10 picks later than this, although I have a feeling his stock will rise.

15. Bucks (via Bulls) Hassan Whiteside PF 7-0 235 Marshall
                        Whiteside will be a bit of a project, but is still a possible lottery pick. He should become a defensive specialist, somewhat like a junior version of Marcus Camby. But it going to take him a few years to develop.
                        Last edited by RWB; 05-19-2010, 02:05 PM.
                        You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Comment

Originally posted by CBS Sportsline
                          even if he has Stanley Roberts written all over him
                          Ouch. I think the Derrick Coleman comparisons are valid, but that's mean.

Originally posted by CBS Sportsline
                          For years, the Clippers tried to find a way to create a Dunleavy family reunion in Los Angeles, but dad Mike could never pry son Mike from the Warriors or Pacers.

What!
                          Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Comment

10. Pacers Gordon Hayward F 6-8 210 Butler
                            Do I really believe the Pacers will reach for Butler's phenom at No. 10? Not really, but it would be pretty cool if it happened, and would definitely sell some Pacer tickets in a hurry. Which is their second biggest issue, closely trailing the fact that they have a terrible basketball team. Hayward is going as high as 14 in other mocks I've seen, meaning he could easily jump up to play for his hometown team. And while this still seems to high for Hayward, his name just keeps coming up in the Indy Star.
                            This Mock lost me with this pick for the Pacers. Draft Hayward just to draft a local College Player with name recognition just to sell tickets?

Great reasoning here.....
                            Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Dece View Post
                              I like that Zoubek/Brackins second round mock... I think both of those guys have places in the league. Regardless of whether they end up being more than 7-11 rotation players, and I think Brackins could be more potentially, picking up a couple NBA bigs in the second round would be great.
                              zoubek just seemed insanely slow (and broken down) to me...has anyone as slow as him played in the NBA recently...Aaron Gray?

also, maybe this is my bias as a purdue fan, but he seemed more "dirty" than "tough" as a player

Comment

Most likely Bird is going to draft Patterson. Bird has been obsessed with guys that have spend many years in college. Just look at Hibbert, Rush and Hansbrough. Patterson would fit right into their characteristics

I would like to see Bird draft someone like David or Monroe, but he probably wont

Even Bledsoe would be intriguing
                                "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Comment

Working...
                                X