Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 76

Thread: Question about a new car

  1. #51
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually the really exciting stuff these days are nuclear batteries. Sealed, failsafe containers that don't actually have any use for a staff. They just sit there and put out 25megawatts for a decade, then you replace them. Totally new paradigm for the grid.
    I think nuclear (of all types) is an area where the "green" folks have been really short sighted. A lot of them are rabidly "anti-nuke" when that is one of the best options for replacing our dependence on fossil fuels. High energy density + small footprint (they don't need the acreage that wind and solar do, or require the dams that hydro does). I'd much rather live downwind of a nuclear plant than the cleanest coal plant.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  2. #52
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by Rupert Stilinski View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BUY AMERICAN!!
    My household will never contain a GM car, new or used, for as long as I live.

    My CR-V, though, was built in Kentucky.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  3. #53
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd much rather live downwind of a nuclear plant than the cleanest coal plant.
    No doubt. Forget particulates and sulfur... you'll get more RADIATION downwind from a coal plant than you will from a nuke plant. You'll get more radiation working in the Library of Congress than you'll get from working INSIDE a coal plant.

    That said, nuke plants aren't the way to go. They're mainframes, you can only have a few of them, they can only be put in certain places, they're crazy expensive, etc.

    Cheap, "weak" (comparatively), mass-produced, networked cells are the wave of the future.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  4. #54
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,062
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My household will never contain a GM car, new or used, for as long as I live.

    My CR-V, though, was built in Kentucky.
    My Dodge was built in Canada.

  5. #55
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,857

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My household will never contain a GM car, new or used, for as long as I live.

    My CR-V, though, was built in Kentucky.


    Mine either, thats why my family buys Ford. And my dad worked for a Ford dealer for 20 years. Say what you will about Ford in the past, but they have certainly gotten their act together. They are putting out excellent cars in every category.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  7. #56
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That said, nuke plants aren't the way to go. They're mainframes, you can only have a few of them, they can only be put in certain places, they're crazy expensive, etc.

    Cheap, "weak" (comparatively), mass-produced, networked cells are the wave of the future.
    The "nuclear plants == mainframes" is a good analogy.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  8. #57
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    I have never bought a "non-American" car. I have had an Oldsmobile, a Ford, a Saturn, a GMC, a Chevy, another Chevy, another GMC, and now a Jeep.

    There wasn't a "lemon" in the bunch.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Doug For This Useful Post:


  10. #58
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mine either, thats why my family buys Ford.
    Yeah, I'd have no problem with buying Ford.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  11. #59
    High Flyers ThA HoyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pasco, wa
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    To throw out there another option make sure you test drive an infiniti G37... I have a g35 and can't wait to upgrade in a couple years.... Also the caddilac Cts-v for a lot more fun... But the gas mileage isn't the best lol

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to ThA HoyA For This Useful Post:


  13. #60
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,917

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    The CTS-V is like 70k, and a G37 is pushing 50.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  14. #61
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    One way to go is to figure out what's important to you and use that to narrow the field. Sometimes that can narrow things down considerably.

    For example on one of my purchases...

    I had $4000 in GM Card dollars. Basically "free money", so I needed to by a GM car.

    I wanted a convertible, which narrowed it down further to a chevy cavalier, a Pontiac sunfire, a Chevy camaro, a Pontiac trans am, or a corvette.

    I wanted a V8 and a stick shift, which narrowed it down to a corvette or a camaro / trans am.

    The corvette was $20K more than a camaro / trans am and was a 2-seater, so I eliminated that.

    I liked the looks of the camaro better than the trans am, plus it was a little cheaper.

    So I bought the Camaro.

    I didn't even test drive one. The first time I drove one was when I drove my new car off the dealers lot.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Doug For This Useful Post:


  16. #62
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,062
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One way to go is to figure out what's important to you and use that to narrow the field. Sometimes that can narrow things down considerably.

    For example on one of my purchases...

    I had $4000 in GM Card dollars. Basically "free money", so I needed to by a GM car.

    I wanted a convertible, which narrowed it down further to a chevy cavalier, a Pontiac sunfire, a Chevy camaro, a Pontiac trans am, or a corvette.

    I wanted a V8 and a stick shift, which narrowed it down to a corvette or a camaro / trans am.

    The corvette was $20K more than a camaro / trans am and was a 2-seater, so I eliminated that.

    I liked the looks of the camaro better than the trans am, plus it was a little cheaper.

    So I bought the Camaro.

    I didn't even test drive one. The first time I drove one was when I drove my new car off the dealers lot.
    I would never buy a car without test driving.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:


  18. #63
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,062
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The CTS-V is like 70k, and a G37 is pushing 50.
    Yeah, MSRP on a CTV-V is 60K, but that 550+ HP would be fun!

    MSRP on a base G37 coupe is 36K.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:


  20. #64
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,917

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, MSRP on a CTV-V is 60K, but that 550+ HP would be fun!

    MSRP on a base G37 coupe is 36K.
    Well, all things being equal I still think I'd take Genesis Coupe over a G37.

    Why not just get a 370z over a G37 and save the money? I guess if you need a backseat...but still 370z is a much better value IMO.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  22. #65
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would never buy a car without test driving.
    I wouldn't recommend it, either.

    But it worked out - I loved that car.

    The example was more about how to use your requirements to narrow the field.

    In my case, my fixed requirements - GM V8 convertible - narrowed the field so much there was only a single candidate. That's generally not the case. I did research the heck out of it, though, despite not test driving one.
    Last edited by Doug; 05-23-2010 at 03:47 PM.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Doug For This Useful Post:


  24. #66
    High Flyers ThA HoyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pasco, wa
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    My great reading misse the part of it actually being brand new lol but yes test drive the crap out of all the cars you are looking at... You will know after each test drive..,

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to ThA HoyA For This Useful Post:


  26. #67
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Actually, now that I think about it, there are two other times where my particular requirements have narrowed the field to very small number of choices. One, actually, in each case.

    We wanted 9-passenger capability (so my wife and her sister and all the kids could fit in a single vehicle) and did NOT want a full size van. The only choice(s) were the Chevy Suburban or the GMC Yukon XL. Same vehicle, really. We went with the GMC because the deal was slightly better.

    The other one was a 5 passenger convertible. I loved my Camaro, but I was tired of not being able to take the whole family. Really, the only choice was a 4-door Jeep Wrangler. That was not quite the same as a sports car, but it met the main requirement - the top comes off and there is room for everybody.

    However, we did test drive both of those. Particularly the Jeep since that was very different than anything I had before.

    Really, the point of these stories is to decide what is important to you - make a list if you have to. Use that to cut the all models from every brand to a manageable set of options. Use the Internet to research those options, find out the pros and cons of each, and generally try to know more about them than the car salesman (that won't be too hard). Then go test drive them, more than once if you need too. Resist ALL pressure to buy right then and there. Walk out of the dealership, make notes on your impressions of the car if needed. Narrow your list down further, then test drive the cars on your "short list" again. Preferably at another dealer first. Then when you know what you want, figure out exactly what a fair price is, and go buy it. Feel free to play a couple of dealers off of each other, but don't be a **** about it. In the end, a $100 or so isn't worth 5 hours of haggling just to "win" the negotiation. Line your own financing up ahead of time, but be willing to use the dealer's financing if the RATE+Terms is better than you can get from a bank. DO NOT BUY any dealer add-ons - rust protection, etc.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Doug For This Useful Post:


  28. #68

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    In that price range, if you're looking for a high mileage sedan, I really enjoyed the VW Jetta TDI. Decent acceleration and great, great mileage with no worries about battery life or a goofy shape.

    If you're looking for a sports car, I'd seriously consider that new V6 Mustang with the Track Pack suspension upgrade, or the aforementioned Genesis Coupe or 370z.

    If you need to be somewhere in the middle, you might look at the Genesis sedan, and you might be able to haggle into a 2010 Ford Taurus SHO at 35k

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Eindar For This Useful Post:


  30. #69
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,062
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In that price range, if you're looking for a high mileage sedan, I really enjoyed the VW Jetta TDI. Decent acceleration and great, great mileage with no worries about battery life or a goofy shape.

    If you're looking for a sports car, I'd seriously consider that new V6 Mustang with the Track Pack suspension upgrade, or the aforementioned Genesis Coupe or 370z.

    If you need to be somewhere in the middle, you might look at the Genesis sedan, and you might be able to haggle into a 2010 Ford Taurus SHO at 35k
    I still say if you're looking for mid 30K, go test drive a Challenger R/T, 5.7L HEMI V8 that pushes 372 HP. You can get a stripped down R/T for around 30-31K and a nicely optioned one for 35-36K. The best looking of the new generation muscle cars by a long shot. There is a Mustang on every corner now and the new Camaro is a transformer-looking mess that will outnumber the Mustang soon (It sold 9,000+ units last month, compared to 5,000+ for the Mustang).







    Last edited by Stryder; 05-23-2010 at 07:14 PM.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:


  32. #70

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    There's a reason I didn't recommend an LX car, and that's because I own one. I have a 2007 300C AWD, and while it does go fast in a straight line, and a new 5.7L would go even faster, it's a rather large car with very poor sight lines that doesn't handle particularly well. I had an Audi TT 3.2 prior to the Chrysler, and I'd never have made that trade if I didn't absolutely need the back seat.

    The SHO is probably more rare than a Challenger (which look about the same in any trim), has roughly as much HP, has the capacity with some tuning to have a LOT more HP than the Challenger, is lighter, handles better, looks and feels more luxurious on the inside, and has four doors if you get someone pregnant.

    If we're looking at coupes, sure, a 2011 Mustang is going to be a pretty common sight, but I've always been more interested in how I feel in the car as opposed to what people think of me in a car, and the Mustang is going to be a better drive and cheaper.

  33. #71
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,917

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    The SHO is a good car.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  34. #72
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,857

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    I highly recommend the SHO as well. I have talked to a few people with that have them and they absolutely love them.

    And yes there is a Mustang on every corner, but the new 5.0 kick's the Challenger's butt.

  35. #73

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    I've never considered myself a tree hugger, but I remember when I knew we needed an 4WD SUV after putting up with 2 crappy minivans that always broke down and long cold winters up north where I used to live. There were lots of them that got 15 mpg, but I looked long and hard for an efficient one, since less than 20 mpg seemed obscene to me.

    As for a sporty car, nothing I ever drove was more fun to drive (except on snow) then my Acura Integra GSX, and I logged every fill up it ever had and it consistently got over 30 mpg. With Honda's variable valve timing technology, there is plenty of torque even in small engines.

    Driving gashogs seems looney to me. Sorry...
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 05-24-2010 at 04:06 PM.

  36. #74
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,441

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know it sounds like I'm beating a dead horse, but the Genesis Coupe really is the best reviewed car in this price range, everyone loves it.
    I've owned a 2000 Hyundai Accent. I had it for about 6 years. It was my first car (as in I bought and paid for it all on my own). I never had a problem with the engine or transmission, but everything else on that car was crap, the fit and finish only lasted about 2-3 years and then it really looked like hell. Peeling paint, surfaces dulled in the sun, tons of rattles and creaks in the ride, terrible suspension. Hyundai's are good basic transport though. But generally are always underpowered compared to their comp. Its like everything they sell just passable for a decent car, and the price makes its a good deal.

  37. #75
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,917

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've owned a 2000 Hyundai Accent. I had it for about 6 years. It was my first car (as in I bought and paid for it all on my own). I never had a problem with the engine or transmission, but everything else on that car was crap, the fit and finish only lasted about 2-3 years and then it really looked like hell. Peeling paint, surfaces dulled in the sun, tons of rattles and creaks in the ride, terrible suspension. Hyundai's are good basic transport though. But generally are always underpowered compared to their comp. Its like everything they sell just passable for a decent car, and the price makes its a good deal.
    That was ten freakin' years ago. Hyundai is not even comparable to the company it was ten years ago. I know their reputation used to blow, but I'd suggest doing some research and you will find that is not even close to being the case anymore. Your last sentence makes me question the last time you were in a Hyundai, their entire model line is very well regarded. (No, I don't drive a Hyundai, nor does anyone in my family, heck I don't think I know a single person who does. And I don't work for them either)

    The Genesis Coupe is widely regarded as the best car in it's class by a large, large margin. And underpowered? Are you kidding me? This car can run dead even with a G37 or an IS350 in a straight line when it has the V6 or a chipped version of its 2.0T. The four banger puts on 210 HP (comparable to Audi/VW's renowned turbo 4 cylinder) and the naturally aspirated 3.8L V6 puts out 306 HP (putting it on par from a HP stand point with cars like the BMW 335i, G37, IS350, Audi S4/5) hardly underpowered I would say. It's RWD, and handles like any really good sports coupe.

    Fit and finish is also top notch, a fully loaded G-Coupe with all the trimmings and goodies will run you between 33-35k and be worth every penny. Heck the damn thing can be optioned to have brembo brakes and a limited slip differential which is something a sports coupe like the BMW 335i lacks (but is standard fare on the legendary M3). This car is not a sleeper and it most certainly is more than just "passable" when comapred to cars in it's class.

    In fact, when edmunds.com (one of the most well respected car sites in the world) compared a fully loaded G37 vs. a fully loaded Genesis Coupe, the Genesis Coupe won, even though there is nearly a 10k price difference between the two cars.

    I'll say right now, Hyundai might be the best car company in the world right now. They are certainly making Honda and Toyota look downright foolish with a new and refreshing product line, and the Genesis Coupe is the masterpiece that pulls it all together.

    The Genesis Sedan is also regarded as being a legitimate alternative to cars like the 7 series and Mercedes S-Class. It's just a really solid product line that Hyundai puts out, they aren't even comparable to the car you drove ten years ago, and frankly most of your statements are just downright incorrect now about the company. Oh did I mention the Genesis Sedan was the 2009 North American Car of the Year? But yeah I suppose that is just passable...
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 05-25-2010 at 12:53 AM.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  38. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Damn!
    By Hicks in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 05:21 PM
  2. Montieth's Q&A worth reading
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-01-2004, 10:13 AM
  3. Dampier speaks
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-22-2004, 03:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •