Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 76

Thread: Question about a new car

  1. #26
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    hydrogen based vehicles, which are more environmentally friendly AND produce more power on average than gasoline based vehicles.
    I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "more power on average" but I'm pretty sure it's not true in any way that I would use those words. Hydrogen has a lower energy density than gasoline. It just does. You can't change that.

    Add in the fact that hydrogen is ridiculously corrosive, that it has a tendency to blow up, and that there's no simple way to create a hydrogen fuel chain.

    Hydrogen's not the answer.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,845

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    On the fun note, I am right now looking at the tv and seeing the ad for the new v6 Mustang. 31mpg and 305hp. Very fun and good gas mileage. Or you can go for all fun and get the 5.0!

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  5. #28
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "more power on average" but I'm pretty sure it's not true in any way that I would use those words. Hydrogen has a lower energy density than gasoline. It just does. You can't change that.

    Add in the fact that hydrogen is ridiculously corrosive, that it has a tendency to blow up, and that there's no simple way to create a hydrogen fuel chain.

    Hydrogen's not the answer.
    I'm trying to dig up a magazine article I had from a couple years ago on hydrogen vehicles, I may be misquoting it, and I'm no science buff so I'm just going off memory.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  6. #29
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Vapacersfan,

    how much are you willing to spend and what is the minimum MPG you would consider acceptable?

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  7. #30
    Edge of Reason GO!!!!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Launceston, Australia
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Good answers all round...

    being a money man more then a style man..

    depending on if the car has the potential to be a tax right of EA you use it for work plays a big part....

    I'd agree with buying a good condition second hand car, if you are planning to wait up to six months then this a very good idea as you can bide your time till you find a seniors car, low k's and good condition, way I went and don't regret it ever... mine had 20odd KM on the clock and now has 90 and still hums along...

    otherwise, depending in the deal your cuz can get you... go that way... family discounts rule plus she gets the sales bonus...


    Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...


  8. The Following User Says Thank You to GO!!!!! For This Useful Post:


  9. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,930

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Vapacersfan,

    how much are you willing to spend and what is the minimum MPG you would consider acceptable?
    I do not know what MPG I am looking for, but I did just find out today that I will be working about 12-15 miles away from home. Most of all my other driving (grocery, sports, etc) are not far so I will be doing a lot of city driving, though rush hour here does suck and if I have to go to different locations I will def be on the highway.

    As for price, I do not want to go over 35. The big price appeal obviously is the Altima or Camry from what I have looked at so far.

    Thank you all for the great advice

  10. #32
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hydrogen's not the answer.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  11. #33
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On the fun note, I am right now looking at the tv and seeing the ad for the new v6 Mustang. 31mpg and 305hp. Very fun and good gas mileage. Or you can go for all fun and get the 5.0!
    See, now this is what I'm talking about! My first car that I bought myself was a 5.0 Mustang. Stick shift. I should have got the convertible...
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Doug For This Useful Post:


  13. #34
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And neither is solar, ya hippie.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  14. #35

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Move to California, get one of these, and change your name to GeorgeJetsonPacerFan:





    total electric 2 passenger Aptera 2e, mpg equivalent >200 mpg, for now only sold and supported in CA, it's the most energy-efficient production vehichle in the world, designed from the ground-up by aeronautics engineers. Backed by google, they plan to sell 10,000 in the first year, at around 40K apiece. A three-wheeler, it is classified as a motorcycle in CA. it has onboard internet and interactive google maps/google earth dashboard video navigation.

    Extended range hybrid, 2h, planned for next year. An all-diesel prototype got 300 mpg.

    video here: http://www.aptera.com/plugin.php

    consumer guide: http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...-aptera-2e.htm
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 05-20-2010 at 07:44 AM.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:


  16. #36
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    If your price is 35k, then I would absolutely test drive a Genesis Coupe. They really are amazing cars and incredible values.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  18. #37
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,934

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Corvette ZR1 imo.

  19. #38

    Default Re: Question about a new car


  20. #39
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And neither is solar, ya hippie.
    Actually, I was going for the "hydrogen is the answer" with the smilie, alluding to nuclear fusion. Of course, that still 20 years away, and likely will still be 20 years away 20 years from now.

    Nah, right now I think nuclear fission is best option. Reactor designs have come a long way, both in terms of safety and waste.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doug For This Useful Post:


  22. #40
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,412

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    You need to go test drive that TSX, its in your budget range even with all the doodads

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  24. #41
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    I know it sounds like I'm beating a dead horse, but the Genesis Coupe really is the best reviewed car in this price range, everyone loves it.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  26. #42
    Junior Member The Toxic Avenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,389

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    I love my Chrysler 300...

    Just sayin'...


  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Toxic Avenger For This Useful Post:


  28. #43

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Batmobile.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  29. #44
    - .-- ... ... Natston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Timbuktupolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,245
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car



    Watch out for overpasses and hop-ons, you're going to get some hop-ons.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:


  31. #45
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,061
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know it sounds like I'm beating a dead horse, but the Genesis Coupe really is the best reviewed car in this price range, everyone loves it.
    If you do go this route, go for the 3.8L V6.

  32. #46
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,061
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Corvette ZR1 imo.
    I think he wants to spend 30-35K, not 100K+, geeze.

  33. #47
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,061
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Move to California, get one of these, and change your name to GeorgeJetsonPacerFan:





    total electric 2 passenger Aptera 2e, mpg equivalent >200 mpg, for now only sold and supported in CA, it's the most energy-efficient production vehichle in the world, designed from the ground-up by aeronautics engineers. Backed by google, they plan to sell 10,000 in the first year, at around 40K apiece. A three-wheeler, it is classified as a motorcycle in CA. it has onboard internet and interactive google maps/google earth dashboard video navigation.

    Extended range hybrid, 2h, planned for next year. An all-diesel prototype got 300 mpg.

    video here: http://www.aptera.com/plugin.php

    consumer guide: http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...-aptera-2e.htm
    Wonder how many of those they've sold so far? We're getting towards halfway through the year...

  34. #48
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    If I was a car buff and wanted something really cool, I'd check out the Rally Fighter by Local Motors. Very cool company, very cool car. You go to their workshop, built it with their engineers, and drive it home.

    http://www.local-motors.com/rallyFighter.php



    http://www.automotto.org/entry/local...its-real-face/
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  35. #49
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    [QUOTE=Doug;998166]Actually, I was going for the "hydrogen is the answer" with the smilie, alluding to nuclear fusion. Of course, that still 20 years away, and likely will still be 20 years away 20 years from now.[/quote
    One of my favorite passages of specfic:
    The latest casualties of the march of technological progress are: the high-street clothes shop, the flushing water closet, the Main Battle Tank, and the first generation of quantum computers. New with the decade are cheap enhanced immune systems, brain implants that hook right into the Chomsky organ and talk to their owners through their own speech centers, and widespread public paranoia about limbic spam. Nanotechnology has shattered into a dozen disjoint disciplines, and skeptics are predicting that it will all peter out before long. Philosophers have ceded qualia to engineers, and the current difficult problem in AI is getting software to experience embarrassment.

    Fusion power is still, of course, fifty years away.


    Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nah, right now I think nuclear fission is best option. Reactor designs have come a long way, both in terms of safety and waste.
    Actually the really exciting stuff these days are nuclear batteries. Sealed, failsafe containers that don't actually have any use for a staff. They just sit there and put out 25megawatts for a decade, then you replace them. Totally new paradigm for the grid.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  36. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Beacontown High Beavers
    Posts
    322

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    BUY AMERICAN!!

Similar Threads

  1. Damn!
    By Hicks in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 05:21 PM
  2. Montieth's Q&A worth reading
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-01-2004, 10:13 AM
  3. Dampier speaks
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-22-2004, 03:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •