Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 76

Thread: Question about a new car

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Question about a new car

    Hey all,

    I should be starting my new job in the next couple of weeks, and one of the big things I am saving for is a new car.

    The first car I ever drove was a Acura 3.2TL and I love any and all acuras I have driven.

    I currently drive a Subaru Outback limited, and it has really treated me well (minus some problems with the sunroof as of late, which is after 10 years of owning the car)

    I have not test driven any cars yet, but I do know that I am looking at the Toyota Camry (hybrid), Honda Civic (the only thing I dislike is it does not have the push button start), and the Acura TSX.

    My cousin works for Lexus, and she claims she can get me a great deal, but I have not seen any cars I loved from them.

    I am not sure if I want to buy a hybrid, but my parents think I should go that route.

    I am hoping to pay cash for as much as possible so I plan on waiting probably 6 months before I buy, but I want to start looking now.

    Have any of you purchased a new car lately? Any advice you can give for a first time buyer?

    Thanks for your help

  2. #2

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    I just bought a new car...Nissan Altima. I highly recommend it, and it's about the same class as the other cars you're looking at. It drives really smooth, it's comfortable, and just drives great. Give it a test drive.

    Plus it has a push button start.

    I test drove a 2010 Civic and didn't really like it. Before my Altima, I had a Civic, and I loved it. I was not impressed with the newer model.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,899

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    If your looking at hybrids and want one that looks like a car (i.e. not a prius) seriously look at the Ford Fusion hybrid. There is a reason it won car of the year.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    I can vouch for the Altima as well. It's a nice car.

    As for the hybrid thing, what's your main reason for wanting one? Less spent on gas? Help the planet? Look sexy?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,994

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    I own a 2005 Nissan Altima, had it since it was new and it has been a great car, plan to keep it until it starts falling apart.

    I would recommend buying a 2 year old car, buying a brand new car doesn't make the most financial sense. Even though I know the allure of a brand new car

    But paying cash is the way to go, no matter what you buy

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,399
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    I agree with Buck on the 2 year old car, and you shouldn't take that lightly because I think it's just about the first time I've ever agreed with him on anything.

    I know a new car is awfully attractive, but let me throw some math at you. If you take care of your car, meaning regular maintenance, tires, oil changes and whatnot, 150k miles should be easily attainable. Now, let's say you buy a new car, not a fancy one, a mid level car with some bells and whistles but not loaded out. You'll pay in the neighborhood of $25k for it. Maybe you have a trade or some cash so let's call it $22k that you are financing. Current auto loan rates are coming in at 4% unless you have great credit and qualify for the 0% financing at the dealer which they don't tell you that 95% of people do NOT qualify for. So, $22k, financed at 3.99% for 60 months works out to $405 per month. For the first 24 months of this loan you are going to pay out $9,720 in payments. If this car is your daily driver you will likely have in the neighborhood of 40k miles on it at that time. You go to trade it in and you still owe $15k on a car that you can't sell for $10k. Let's say you are rich and it doesn't matter, you trade it anyway and either make up the difference in cash or roll it onto your next auto loan (which is an INCREDIBLY bad idea). Here's where I'm going to hit you with the math that will make you feel uneasy about a new car. In effect, you have paid $10k for 40k miles of that car, and if you rolled the difference into your next loan you really paid more, plus interest. The guy that buys it from the trade in is going to pay $12k for the next 110k miles, or whatever the car has left. The farther it goes, the better the deal for him. If he finances that 12k for 4 years with the same rate, it's $270 a month, and he has it paid off only one year after the original loan would have paid off and is saving $135 a month and $1620 a year over what you were paying. New cars just do NOT make sense in this economy. I told my wife, the only way she's getting a brand new car is if she enters a contest. It ain't happening.
    Last edited by travmil; 05-18-2010 at 09:27 AM.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,366
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    The owner of my company has taught me a valuable lesson. We both drive Cadillacs. His philosophy is, you buy it new and pay $50,000 to drive it the first 60,000 miles and then I'll buy it and drive it the next 60,000 miles for $10,000. It's a lesson I've learned to live by. I bought mine used for $10,800, it had 61,000 miles on it. Now, 2.5 years later it has 150,600 miles on it and the only reason it isn't still perfect is the wreck I had last summer. You have to be patient and wait for the right car tho. The one you want at the price you are willing to pay.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,524

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Okay to actually address one of the cars you mentioned. I've driven a TSX before from the dealer has a loaner car, and it was very nice. Much nicer than a civic or a camry, not as loose and fun as my RSX, but the luxury was there to offset it. Really the TSX is a great blend of Performance and luxury. Even the 4 cyclinder had some nice power to it. The K series engines from Honda are very reliable and have alot of power and a higher rev range than most cars, and get good gas mileage. My RSX revs up to 8100RPMs, and just sounds sick. The K series have great HP to Liter ratio. My RSX is about 100:1 for 200 HP, it is a 2 liter engine. The TSX is 2.4 liter and is listed at 200 HP, but has more Torque available in the lower RPM range. Really good car, I'd recommend it.

    Of course you get even more power with the V-6 but I have soft spot for supped up 4 bangers.

    All Acuras run on Premium, but you probably already knew that.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 05-18-2010 at 12:58 PM.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  16. #9
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,786

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I own a 2005 Nissan Altima, had it since it was new and it has been a great car, plan to keep it until it starts falling apart.
    I drive a 1995 Altima. Clearly one of us is compensating for something...

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:


  18. #10

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    You can't go wrong with Honda/Acura

    my situation:

    2003 Honda Pilot: 205,000 miles, never had a problem (the family car, wife & 3 kids)
    1993 Acura Integra: 170,000 miles with no problems until I totalled it

    replaced the Integra with a:
    2005 Honda CRV: 60,000 miles so far with no problems

    Before this, in my lifetime I have had 5 different American cars, none of which survived past 100,000 miles

    I financed the last two cars I bought, both new, though I made a hefty cash downpayment that permitted 3-year financing. The cars are long-lived enough, though, that I hope to eventually replace them both with "nearly new" low mileage cars, with cash.

    But I am in no hurry to replace either Honda, even the one with 205K miles, despite the relative lack of bells and whistles like push-button starters, built-in navagation, built-in entertainment, etc.

    Frankly I can't see paying for a built-in DVD player as a $750 option when I can hand the kids a portable DVD player, splitters, and multiple headphones for under $100 total.

    If you do buy new, check the prices of those options that you don't need, and make sure that you define what "need" actually means.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:


  20. #11

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Also, don't forget about Hyundai cars as well. They are very well rated, and have awesome warranties. I drove a Sonata before, and it drives really nicely. Elantra is also a good smaller car.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:


  22. #12
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Go with a bicycle!

  23. #13
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,507

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Hyundai Genesis Coupe with the turbo 4 cylinder is full of WIN. One of the best bang for your buck cars available today. It will out perform any of the cars you're looking at and still get good gas mileage. It's awesome.

    Hyundai IMO is much stronger right now than toyota and honda/acura, who have gotten really lazy lately.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  25. #14
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,366
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by sweabs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Go with a bicycle!

    Thanks Al.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  26. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can vouch for the Altima as well. It's a nice car.

    As for the hybrid thing, what's your main reason for wanting one? Less spent on gas? Help the planet? Look sexy?
    Honestly if I go that route it will be because of savings on gas

  27. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with Buck on the 2 year old car, and you shouldn't take that lightly because I think it's just about the first time I've ever agreed with him on anything.

    I know a new car is awfully attractive, but let me throw some math at you. If you take care of your car, meaning regular maintenance, tires, oil changes and whatnot, 150k miles should be easily attainable. Now, let's say you buy a new car, not a fancy one, a mid level car with some bells and whistles but not loaded out. You'll pay in the neighborhood of $25k for it. Maybe you have a trade or some cash so let's call it $22k that you are financing. Current auto loan rates are coming in at 4% unless you have great credit and qualify for the 0% financing at the dealer which they don't tell you that 95% of people do NOT qualify for. So, $22k, financed at 3.99% for 60 months works out to $405 per month. For the first 24 months of this loan you are going to pay out $9,720 in payments. If this car is your daily driver you will likely have in the neighborhood of 40k miles on it at that time. You go to trade it in and you still owe $15k on a car that you can't sell for $10k. Let's say you are rich and it doesn't matter, you trade it anyway and either make up the difference in cash or roll it onto your next auto loan (which is an INCREDIBLY bad idea). Here's where I'm going to hit you with the math that will make you feel uneasy about a new car. In effect, you have paid $10k for 40k miles of that car, and if you rolled the difference into your next loan you really paid more, plus interest. The guy that buys it from the trade in is going to pay $12k for the next 110k miles, or whatever the car has left. The farther it goes, the better the deal for him. If he finances that 12k for 4 years with the same rate, it's $270 a month, and he has it paid off only one year after the original loan would have paid off and is saving $135 a month and $1620 a year over what you were paying. New cars just do NOT make sense in this economy. I told my wife, the only way she's getting a brand new car is if she enters a contest. It ain't happening.
    Thanks for the math.

    I will be keeping my car forever (I take after my parents in that regard) but honestly the big allure for a new car for me is the maintenance.

    I have paid at least $2,000 a year since I have had the car, but I am going to explore all of my options before I buy (be it new or used)

  28. #17
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,069
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    I have a 2010 dodge challenger R/T as my daily driver now...not very economical, but damned sweet to drive...

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:


  30. #18
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,632

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Way too many sensible suggestions in this thread.

    Get something fun to drive and slightly impractical.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to Doug For This Useful Post:


  32. #19
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,069
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hyundai Genesis Coupe with the turbo 4 cylinder is full of WIN. One of the best bang for your buck cars available today. It will out perform any of the cars you're looking at and still get good gas mileage. It's awesome.

    Hyundai IMO is much stronger right now than toyota and honda/acura, who have gotten really lazy lately.
    Hyundai Genesis Coupes are nice cars!

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:


  34. #20
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Honestly if I go that route it will be because of savings on gas
    Do the math... so far I don't think hybrids are close to breaking even. The amount you add in up-front costs and more expensive repairs will more than offset the amount you save in gas costs.

    You'd have to check to see if that's still the case, but I know it was true a couple years ago.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  36. #21
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,399
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Nah it's still true. Hybrids are good for the environment but they don't save you a dime. Now, a flex fuel vehicle can save you some cash, because E85 was about 50 cents cheaper per gallon than regular unleaded here in Indy for months. Recently it's gotten a bit closer together though.

  37. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  38. #22
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hybrids are good for the environment
    They're not, actually.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  39. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    12,042

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    I would say shoot for the stars.

  40. The Following User Says Thank You to N8R For This Useful Post:


  41. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Beacontown High Beavers
    Posts
    322

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nah it's still true. Hybrids are good for the environment but they don't save you a dime. Now, a flex fuel vehicle can save you some cash, because E85 was about 50 cents cheaper per gallon than regular unleaded here in Indy for months. Recently it's gotten a bit closer together though.
    I drive a flex fuel Chevy Tahoe. Obviously I'm not breaking any fuel mileage records, but I've done the math on the E85. It's only cost effective if its almost a full dollar less than regular.

    That stuff burns ungodly fast. If the gas station I happen to stop at has E85, I will fill up with it, just because I'm an Indiana boy, and hell it's corn. But I'm certainly not stuffing my pockets by using it, and I'm certainly not going to go out of my way to find a station that offers it.

  42. #25
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,507

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Question about a new car

    Personally, I hate hybrids, I think they are a waste of time and resources, when IMO every single moment we have spent on hybrid tech should have been spent preparing this country to switch to hydrogen based vehicles, which are more environmentally friendly AND produce more power on average than gasoline based vehicles.

    BMW has an entire line of hydrogen based engines ready to roll out TOMORROW, if the rest of the world ever got off their butts and moved towards this.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  43. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Damn!
    By Hicks in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 05:21 PM
  2. Montieth's Q&A worth reading
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-01-2004, 11:13 AM
  3. Dampier speaks
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-22-2004, 03:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •