Thread: Duke/Butler rematch in New Jersey at the Izod Center December 4

Default Duke/Butler rematch in New Jersey at the Izod Center December 4

Duke, Butler to have championship rematch at Izod Center

Associated Press

Last Updated: 10:58 AM, May 4, 2010

Posted: 10:58 AM, May 4, 2010
    Comments: 0
    | More Print

Duke and Butler will meet again next season, eight months after their classic national championship game.

The two schools will play Dec. 4 in what is sure to be a highly anticipated regular-season game at the Izod Center in East Rutherford, N.J. The Blue Devils won their fourth NCAA title in Indianapolis on April 5 by beating the fan favorite Bulldogs 61-59, as Gordon Hayward's potential winning shot from halfcourt bounced off the rim.

"It's an honor for our program to be invited to play in the Izod Center in December," Butler coach Brad Stevens said in a release. "Obviously, the challenge will be great, as we have a tremendous amount of respect for Duke."

The Blue Devils have a long, successful history at the arena, going 18-1 and winning five NCAA regional finals there. Butler has never played at the Meadowlands, which is losing the NBA's New Jersey Nets as a tenant.

"Given the outstanding game played between Duke and Butler in the 2010 NCAA championship, there will be added interest in next year's matchup. Surely, Coach Stevens will have his team ready to perform at a high level," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "We look forward to what will be a significant challenge."

The game will be televised by ESPN.

Both teams will go into the season among the favorites to return to the championship game. The Blue Devils return stars Kyle Singler and Nolan Smith but must replace senior starters Jon Scheyer, Brian Zoubek and Lance Thomas.

Hayward declared early for the NBA draft but has not signed with an agent and could rejoin Shelvin Mack, Matt Howard and Ronald Nored in the Bulldogs' lineup.
    Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/colle...#ixzz0myZq2Q7o

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Duke/Butler rematch in New Jersey at the Izod Center December 4

I personally hate rematches from Championship games the next regular season.

It's not the same atmosphere, and doesn't have as much on the line. A lot of times the teams change as well. Even if Butler wins... so? I mean it would be a nice win for the program, over Duke and all, but it's not for the Championship again

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

It's not the same atmosphere, and doesn't have as much on the line. A lot of times the teams change as well. Even if Butler wins... so? I mean it would be a nice win for the program, over Duke and all, but it's not for the Championship again

While I agree I'm just glad Butler is getting this type of exposure they wouldn't have gotten had they not gone as far as they did.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Butler and Duke's program seem to have a lot of respect for one another. Maybe this could turn into a yearly thing?

Either way, it's a big win for Butler's basketball program.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post

sorry. I guess rematches like this "Really grind my gears." The same goes for the opening night NFL rematch of the Vikings/Saints NFC Championship rematch. I don't mind the match-ups but I hate the hype surrounding "rematch" with not as much on the line

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    Butler and Duke's program seem to have a lot of respect for one another. Maybe this could turn into a yearly thing?

Either way, it's a big win for Butler's basketball program.
    Call me crazy, but I think Butler can be just as good this year as last, even without Hayward. Assuming Matt Howard can ever learn to stay out of foul trouble that is...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is really good for Butler. Playing in the championship and then getting to be on national TV once again playing such a big name school will do wonders for their recruiting. It is getting Butler's name out there and I love the exposure for Butler.

I will feel dirty once again rooting for Duke, but hey family turned me to the dark side a long time ago. Also the dark side had cookies.

Ugh. They just announced that Purdue is getting Virginia Tech and Michigan State is getting Duke in the ACC challenge. I would have loved to have gone into Cameron and beat them down.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!