Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are we going big?

Banned

Default Why are we going big?

According to the pundits......
    I think it's a smoke screen.
    while plenty here think we need help up front, I think the PTB know what with Jeff and Tyler up front next year we really don't.
    I think we take the best PG prospect on the board UNLESS we trade for one first.

Default Re: Why are we going big?

because our team is allaround mediocre and needs help everywhere

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    while plenty here think we need help up front, I think the PTB know what with Jeff and Tyler up front next year we really don't.
    I think we take the best PG prospect on the board UNLESS we trade for one first.
    Unless of course Jeff can't play nearly like he once did due to his age and surgically repaired back, and Tyler is not actually able to play like he once did (pre-NBA) due to post concussion syndrome (ear infection?), and Josh McRoberts is converted into a perimeter player with no 3pt shot, thereby relegating him to the bench under O'B.

Those things, plus the statements from the FO (who have rarely stated the truth about anything with respect to potential draft interests since prior to the arrival of Donnie Walsh) that everything on the floor starts with the point guard, suggests that we probably will end up with a big backup for Roy at center later than 10th in the first round, followed by another rebounding forward towards the end of the first round, followed by Gordon Hayward as a PR pick in the 2nd round because he is another potential stretch forward who earlier in his college career shot threes (at collegiate distance) better than he did this year.

After all, we have both our starter, TJ Ford, and AJ Price to man the pg position (IIRC O'B has stated that we only need 2 pgs) once Earl Watson leaves after being insulted by the ridiculously low offer the Pacers make him to stay.

Banned

Not sure where the sarcasm begins and ends, but I've not read anything (other than here) that suggests that any of those scenerios are likely with any of those big guys. (and I forgot to incude McBob). Jeff is the energizer bunny, only thing slowing him down WAS his back. And he just got a year off. He should be as healthy as he's been in years. He certainly will chomping at the bit to get back to what he loves. Same with Tyler. Josh got a taste, I expect him to work very hard to hold on to those minutes.
    That's THREE 6'9"+ guys that should be a factor next year up front that weren't (for most of the year) this year.

I think we get our PG.
    Last edited by MLB007; 05-15-2010 at 02:08 PM.

Probably this is a big man heavy draft, and they are the best guys available when we are slated to pick.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I would say we have too many questions at the power forward position. A few being (as others have already said):

Will Foster come back at least as good as he was?

Will Hansbrough make a full recovery and be as effective in the NBA as he was at UNC?

Will McRoberts continue to produce at the shockingly high rate he closed the season out at?

...And the biggest question being, does anyone realistically see OB coaching the us in two years? I think at least 90 percent of the people here don't. Thus making PF's who play 25 ft. from the basket (think Murphy) unneeded.

The reason I say this is because we already have 3 competent PGs probably all playing in a system hindering their talents. Earl Watson is kind of a "yes man" to OB I feel, and could really fit in any system. TJ is/was clearly playing out of his comfort zone in OB's offense, but is definitely a starter in another type of offense. Lastly, Price has and will continue to mature. He has had brief stints of excellent play.

The reason we need to draft big is to facilitate a coaching change two or three years (or sooner) down the road. We will need interior players who hit the boards, and not 7 footer playing 30 feet from the basket as we have now.

I guess I kind of turned this into a post on coaching, but I felt it tied in with our draft needs. In a different system our point guards could fare well, but I don't think we are as set as we need to be in the power forward department.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Probably this is a big man heavy draft, and they are the best guys available when we are slated to pick.
    This.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

It's a big man draft, and seeing as for much of the season we were playing a SG at the PF position..I'd think we probably need an increase in talent there..although honestly, we could use an increase in talent at the PG, SG, and PF position.

Why are we going big?

Because the 10th-best player in the draft is likely to be a big man.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

any notion that jeff foster, tyler hansborough and josh mcroberts shores us up at the PF position is laughable...

not that i'm saying we don't desperately need pg help as well (which we clearly do) but you could make the case that tj ford and aj price has us just as "set" at pg as we are at pf

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SkipperZ For This Useful Post:

Anyway, please bear in mind that "Pacers going big" is only speculation by writers who have to say something even when there's nothing to say.

You don't know where the pacers will pick on draft day. You don't know who will be available at that time. You don't know what trades will occur before the draft.

Saying, "The Pacers are trading for Chris Paul and Dwight Howard" or "Troy Murphy is working on his post moves" has just as much meaning right now as "the Pacers are drafting big."
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I would say we have too many questions at the power forward position. A few being (as others have already said):

Will Foster come back at least as good as he was?

Will Hansbrough make a full recovery and be as effective in the NBA as he was at UNC?

Will McRoberts continue to produce at the shockingly high rate he closed the season out at?

...And the biggest question being, does anyone realistically see OB coaching the us in two years? I think at least 90 percent of the people here don't. Thus making PF's who play 25 ft. from the basket (think Murphy) unneeded.

The reason I say this is because we already have 3 competent PGs probably all playing in a system hindering their talents. Earl Watson is kind of a "yes man" to OB I feel, and could really fit in any system. TJ is/was clearly playing out of his comfort zone in OB's offense, but is definitely a starter in another type of offense. Lastly, Price has and will continue to mature. He has had brief stints of excellent play.

The reason we need to draft big is to facilitate a coaching change two or three years (or sooner) down the road. We will need interior players who hit the boards, and not 7 footer playing 30 feet from the basket as we have now.

I guess I kind of turned this into a post on coaching, but I felt it tied in with our draft needs. In a different system our point guards could fare well, but I don't think we are as set as we need to be in the power forward department.
    I don't think anyone involved in making the picks is worried about 2 or 3 years down the road. Their future is now. You can question whether we can get 1 new guy to be better than the three or four we already have (questionable where we are picking) AND we just spent last seasons #1 on a 4.
    Getting a marginally (maybe) better 4 than the ones we already have isn't going to make this a significantly better team.
    Our point guards are "solid", "reliable" type pgs, none are dynamic or game changing when they have the ball. No guarantee we get that, but it's 100% we don't if we don't try.

This team is not nearly as far away as many here seem to think. The front line will be solid, with or without another pick there. Roy and Jeff at 1, Tyler and McBob and Murphy at 4, Danny at 3 with Brandon and Dunleavy behind him. That's workable.
    The guards are iffy and need an infusion of talent. I like AJ but I'm not ready to turn the team over to him, or feel confident that he is THE guy down the road. Looks like a very good back up at the least.
    There are lots of bigs projected to go to the teams drafting ahead of the Pacers. With Wall and Turner as guards to go ahead of them it's possible they could be choosing the next guard in the draft. Got to be someone with game changing speed or ball handling and distribution ability worth taking a chance on.

Banned

[QUOTE=Anthem;995823]Why are we going big?

Because the 10th-best player in the draft is likely to be a big man.[/QUOT

"Likely" ? Based on what??

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

I don't think anyone involved in making the picks is worried about 2 or 3 years down the road. Their future is now. You can question whether we can get 1 new guy to be better than the three or four we already have (questionable where we are picking) AND we just spent last seasons #1 on a 4.
    Getting a marginally (maybe) better 4 than the ones we already have isn't going to make this a significantly better team.
    Our point guards are "solid", "reliable" type pgs, none are dynamic or game changing when they have the ball. No guarantee we get that, but it's 100% we don't if we don't try.

This team is not nearly as far away as many here seem to think. The front line will be solid, with or without another pick there..
    No sarcasm involved in my previous post in this thread.

Again, the front line is solid only if we are assuming that everyone is healthy besides Hibbert that O'B is willing to play inside instead of wasting them at the arc. Otherwise, it is possibly the position of greatest need, regardless of the front office saying that a point guard is a priority because everything starts at the point. They frequently misdirect fan expectations along with other teams executives with respect to personnel decisions.

The truth about what the Pacers believe with respect to the health of Hansbrough and Foster will be somewhat revealed by what we do draft day.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SkipperZ View Post
    any notion that jeff foster, tyler hansborough and josh mcroberts shores us up at the PF position is laughable...

not that i'm saying we don't desperately need pg help as well (which we clearly do) but you could make the case that tj ford and aj price has us just as "set" at pg as we are at pf

Jeff is a center.
    Don't see what's laughable about what Josh did at the end of the season when given a chance, nor what Tyler showed in the little time he had on the court. (with no training camp and little off season conditoning). Both are young and going to improve. Tyler was our #1 pick last year and that may not mean anything to you, but I guarantee you it does to the coaches and PTB. I liked very much what I saw last year from a rookie that had no time on the floor prior to the season.
    Murphy is a very decent player despite what many of the armchair coaches think. Funny how bad he is but how other teams wanted him. hmmmmm Only good rebounder on our front line and his outside shooting pulls other 4's out so Roy doesn't get doubled and beat on by 2 big men inside.
    We were a decent team at the end of the year. Danny finally healthy to go with a rapidly developing low post threat in Roy and Murphy opening up the lane with his range.
    Discount it all you want, that team was healthy and showed some stuff to anyone that was paying attention.

This team will be competetive (.500 minimum) from the get go. What it needs to get to the next level is another dynamic guard. Via draft or trade the pick. Get a good guard and this team goes up nice notch.
    Last edited by MLB007; 05-15-2010 at 08:06 PM.

Sports Logo

To expand on what Anthem and cdash has said.....we're likely to pick the BPA at the #10 spot....who will likely be a Big Man....only because this draft is Big-Man heavy.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    To expand on what Anthem and cdash has said.....we're likely to pick the BPA at the #10 spot....who will likely be a Big Man....only because this draft is Big-Man heavy.
    I don't think Bird will pick the BPA. I think he will pick the most "NBA ready" player - the upper classman with the lowest floor. That has been his recent MO. Tyler certainly wasn't BPA, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
    I don't think Bird will pick the BPA. I think he will pick the most "NBA ready" player - the upper classman with the lowest floor. That has been his recent MO. Tyler certainly wasn't BPA, IMO.
    I think he will shift this year to BPA, rather than the "seasoned college winner" mode. However, he will not draft a guy like Cousins. I don't think he's ready to take that type of risk.

Below is a link to Draft Express' current mock:

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2010/

Here are where they have the point guards:

53 (6'10" PG/SG/SF, WTF?)

Now, if you want to draft a PG at 10, that's your prerogative. But we would be better served trading down, or if you want immediate impact, trade for an established player.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
    I can't disagree with that.....but since any Non-PF is likely to not be NBA-Ready......I'm guessing that there is a good chance that the BPA and/or the most NBA-Ready Player will be a PF.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Jeff is a center.
    Don't see what's laughable about what Josh did at the end of the season when given a chance, nor what Tyler showed in the little time he had on the court. (with no training camp and little off season conditoning). Both are young and going to improve. Tyler was our #1 pick last year and that may not mean anything to you, but I guarantee you it does to the coaches and PTB. I liked very much what I saw last year from a rookie that had no time on the floor prior to the season.
    Murphy is a very decent player despite what many of the armchair coaches think. Funny how bad he is but how other teams wanted him. hmmmmm Only good rebounder on our front line and his outside shooting pulls other 4's out so Roy doesn't get doubled and beat on by 2 big men inside.
    We were a decent team at the end of the year. Danny finally healthy to go with a rapidly developing low post threat in Roy and Murphy opening up the lane with his range.
    Discount it all you want, that team was healthy and showed some stuff to anyone that was paying attention.

This team will be competetive (.500 minimum) from the get go. What it needs to get to the next level is another dynamic guard. Via draft or trade the pick. Get a good guard and this team goes up nice notch.
    i agree. mcbob is the youngest player on our roster. and very might be again after this draft. he has as much potential as anybody. could be a jermaine type of bloom. not type of player but type of blossom into a good player.
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Below is a link to Draft Express' current mock:

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2010/

Here are where they have the point guards:

53 (6'10" PG/SG/SF, WTF?)

Now, if you want to draft a PG at 10, that's your prerogative. But we would be better served trading down, or if you want immediate impact, trade for an established player.
    udoh and brackins...wouldnt mind that one bit.
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

Mood

This team is not nearly as far away as many here seem to think.
    That depends on what it is that they are going for. The 8th seed in the playoffs? Sure they might not be that far away from. Being a championship contender (which I think is what most of us are hoping for in the future), they are that far away from...very far away from.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Merz For This Useful Post:

The best p.g. on the board would be Eric Bledsoe, who would be available at 10, but we could probably trade down and maybe pick up another pick and grab him in the 14-20 range. This really is the weakest p.g. draft in some time, with possibly only 2 or 3 p.g.'s being chosen in the first round. After Bledsoe, there is Armon Johnson who projects in the late first round.

This a funny question to me. The draft is over a month away. Most people on here think we will go big, if we keep the pick. Most mock draft boards have us going big, also. Does this mean anything, no no no! Yes the BPA will probably be a big at 10, Udoh, Patterson, Monroe..... Does that mean Larry picks one them maybe, but who the heck knows. Larry almost always pulls something out of nowhere on his picks. Last year Tyler was discussed on here alot, but not many people wanted us to draft him. Two years ago who could have predicited a Rush, Hibbert combo? Not many.
    Don't get me wrong I love talking about the draft and who we should take, but to say we are going big, only Larry knows that.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers74 For This Useful Post: