Thread: OT - Rod Woodson released

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default OT - Rod Woodson released

I probably won't post much over here because I've been a Steelers fans since before the Colts moved to Indy, and I'll still be a Steelers fan after the Colts move out...

But this NFL story is about my all-time favorite world-class hurdler and football player (even if he did go to Purdue ) so I thought I'd ask where everybody else thinks Rod ranks on the all-time list?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04210/352909.stm

Raiders release injured Woodson
    Ex-Steelers star fails precamp physical
    Wednesday, July 28, 2004

By Janie McCauley, The Associated Press

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- The Oakland Raiders released safety Rod Woodson yesterday after the 11-time Pro Bowler failed a physical.

Woodson, 39, had a chronic left knee injury last season and had surgery in December. He was placed on injured reserve Nov. 26.

Woodson had said he'd like to return to the Raiders this season and doesn't want to end his career injured.

"Rod Woodson is one of the greatest defensive backs to ever play the game," Raiders coach Norv Turner said in a statement.

"He has been a leader on and off the field during his time with the Silver and Black. We appreciate Rod's contributions to the success of the Raiders."

A call to Woodson's agent, Eugene Parker, was not immediately returned.

Woodson's knee was hurt four days before the team's first preseason game, but he tried to play through the pain. He had surgery Sept. 9 and missed the team's second game against Cincinnati.

The anterior cruciate ligament in Woodson's right knee was torn in 1995 and he missed most of the season with the Steelers, then came back to play in the Super Bowl.

Former coach Bill Callahan said Woodson had been compensating for his knee pain by straining other muscles in his lower body.

He played in Oakland's season opener Sept. 7 at Tennessee, then missed the following game. After his operation, he played 13 days later at Denver.

During the Raiders' Super Bowl season two years ago, Woodson made a momentum-changing 98-yard interception return for a touchdown in a 34-10 Monday night victory against the Denver Broncos that snapped Oakland's four-game losing streak.

A 17-year veteran who spent the past two seasons with Oakland, Woodson ranks third on the NFL's career list with 71 interceptions.

His 1,483 yards on interception returns are the most in league history.

He was the first player to make the Pro Bowl as a cornerback, kick-returner and safety during a career in which he also played for San Francisco and Baltimore. He was a member of the Ravens' Super Bowl-winning team.

Woodson was critical of his teammates during the Raiders' 4-12 debacle last season that proved to be the worst collapse by a team that had reached the Super Bowl the previous year.

"We've got some veterans who aren't working," he said at the time.

"Some veterans I don't think understand it.

"They don't want to put in the work. I've been on three other teams and it's like that anywhere you go. Knowing how to play is attitude, that's not ability."
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Default Re: OT - Rod Woodson released

Bring him back to Pittsburgh.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bring him back to Pittsburgh.
    Oh, I'd that idea.

Especially since Willie Williams is on the training camp roster.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Colts are staying here. Dork.

And Rod is an old man. You can have him.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Yeah, Jay. The defensive backfield doesn't look too hot for the Steelers. :

And for the record, I don't expect the Colts to leave Indianapolis.