Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62

Thread: Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

  1. #1
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,754

    Default Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

    I think Woodson is a pretty good coach, but I'll never understand why his offense was so one-on-one. In fact I think the Hawks halfcourt offensive system was about the worst in the NBA


    http://www.nba.com/2010/news/05/14/h...s=iref:nbahpt1


    After six seasons on job, Woodson done as Hawks' coach
    By Sekou Smith, NBA.com
    Posted May 14 2010 11:52AM

    ATLANTA -- The Hawks parted ways with Mike Woodson Friday morning, ending his coaching tenure with the franchise after six seasons.

    Woodson was informed in a Friday morning meeting with Hawks' management that that he would not be offered a new contract after leading the Hawks to three straight playoff appearances in his final three seasons.

    The team is expected to make an official announcement this afternoon.

    Woodson's contract expired Monday, forcing the Hawks to make a quick decision. Woodson is now free to explore his options with a half dozen coaching vacancies around the league, while the Hawks embark on a search of their own for his replacement.

    Woodson led the Hawks to 37, 47 and 53 wins in his final three seasons and back-to-back appearances in the Eastern Conference semifinals, where they were swept both times. The Hawks won just 13 games in his first season, 2004-05, but improved their record in each of his five seasons after that. He finished with a 206-286 record (.419).

    Woodson's 11-18 postseason record, though, is what ultimately cost him his job with the Hawks. He guided the Hawks to their first playoff appearance in more than a decade three seasons ago, when the Hawks pushed the eventual champion Boston Celtics to seven games in a first-round series.

    The Hawks continued to improve in each of the next two seasons, snagging top-four seeds in the Eastern Conference playoff chase and the home-court advantage that comes with it.

    But they had to win Game 7s both times, against Miami in 2009 and Milwaukee this season, before being swept in the conference semifinals by Cleveland in 2009 and Orlando earlier this week.

    Complicating matters for the Hawks is the impending free agency of four-time All-Star and team captain Joe Johnson, who will join LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh in the celebrated summer class of 2010.

    Johnson has already stated that he will explore his options this summer, with a potential return to the Hawks being one of them. It was under Woodson that Johnson blossomed from a fourth option in Phoenix and into an All-Star anchor for the Hawks, grabbed Johnson in a sign-and-trade deal in the summer of 2005.

    Sekou Smith is a veteran NBA reporter and the author of NBA.com's Hang Time blog. You can e-mail him here and follow him on twitter.

    The views on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of the NBA, its clubs or Turner Broadcasting.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 05-14-2010 at 02:32 PM.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,720

    Default Re: Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

    As if it is Woodson's fault that the team's collective IQ is about 25! Atlanta has put together a team of good athletes, each of whom has talents. I just don't think it is a smart bunch, though. They have gotten by on physical skills, and have improved due to, in no small part, Woodson's efforts.

    He is going to be a really good hire for a team that knows what it is doing.

  3. #3
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,530

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

    Considering ALL the cr*p the Hawks roster and fans went through a few years back with the Ownership group, Woodsen weathered it pretty well while building a strong foundation built on solid defense.

    IMHO...he's one of the main reasons why the Hawks built a solid young athletic Team. Maybe this is a turning point in the franchise with the impending Free Agency of Joe Johnson and the dismissal of Woodsen....either for the good or bad of the Franchise.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  4. #4
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,754

    Default Re: Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

    The only player I would want on the Pacers is Al Horford, but even he isn't the smartest player around. But he plays hard almost all the time. Even JJ isn't someone I really want, I mean he's an allstar and is a very good player

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,246

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Woodson is a pretty coach coach, but I'll never understand why his offense was so one-on-one. In fact I think the Hawks halfcourt offensive system was about the worst in the NBA.
    I think it's impossible to argue that our non-existent half court offense was any better.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,452

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

    It wasn't Woodson's fault that Atlanta drafted Marvin Williams ahead of Chris Paul and Derron Williams. LOL. Williams didn't even start in college. What a joke.

    The NBA is kind of silly with how quickly they cycle through coaches. Woodson got a team to the second round, and lost to a superior Orlando team that may win it all. Not sure what the expectations were for him, but Atlanta reached most rational fans' expectations. And we all know that JOB has done virtually nothing here.

    Lets get the local player turned coach back to Indy. Replace JOB with Woodson.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,720

    Default Re: Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I think Woodson is a pretty coach coach, but I'll never understand why his offense was so one-on-one. In fact I think the Hawks halfcourt offensive system was about the worst in the NBA

    I think the offense was more the result of the capabilites and mindset of the players, rather than Woodson. As I said before, there are some physically gifted players on that team, but I don't think the players understood anything but one-on-one. You can only teach up to the players' capabilities to understand and learn.

  11. #8
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,754

    Default Re: Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the offense was more the result of the capabilites and mindset of the players, rather than Woodson. As I said before, there are some physically gifted players on that team, but I don't think the players understood anything but one-on-one. You can only teach up to the players' capabilities to understand and learn.
    I disagree. But maybe we'll find out with a new coach, assuming most of the players are back.

    granted Bibby isn't a playmaker, but he is a great pick and roll player and I don't think they used it enough.

  12. #9
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,525

    Default Re: Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

    Can't stand Bibby, don't care for the ATL fans at the games. Josh Smith seemed to quit on his team this year. Joe Johnson is a okay #2 or maybe a #3 guy on a good team, imo.

    I would like Horford on the Pacers. I wonder if they do some major reconstruction this offseason.

  13. #10
    Member thewholefnshow31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,268

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

    I am not surprised by this one either. You barely win a series against a team that has no business sniffing a game seven without Bogut and then get totally destroyed in the next round it is hard to justify bringing him back.

    Then again when everyone talks about basketball IQ you see what a lack of it does in Atlanta. Those guys just lack any common sense out there on the court.

    I think Woodson could rebound if he goes to the right organization that has its head on straight.

  14. #11
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,988

    Default Re: Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

    And Jim O'Brien still has a job....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  16. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,436

    Default Re: Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And Jim O'Brien still has a job....
    If Mike Woodson was coaching the Pacers roster and still had a year remaining on his contract, he'd most likely have been retained just like JOB is.

    Next year, JOB will be just like Woodson: His contract will be up and he won't be brought back.

  17. #13
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,754

    Default Re: Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And Jim O'Brien still has a job....
    For the record: I think Jim is at least as good of a coach as Mike.

  18. #14

    Default Re: Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And Jim O'Brien still has a job....

    When you have Bird as PBO, and too stubborn to admit he has the wrong coach.

  19. #15
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,246

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For the record: I think Jim is at least as good of a coach as Mike.
    For the record: Nobody else does.

  20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:


  21. #16

    Default Re: Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

    Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Next year, JOB will be just like Woodson: His contract will be up and he won't be brought back.

    One side note to that, there is a chance Woodson will be a NBA HC again, and O'Brien doesn't have a chance.

  22. #17

    Default Re: Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

    Really not surprised at this at all. Mike Brown's situation in Cleveland doesn't look good either.

  23. #18
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,754

    Default Re: Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For the record: Nobody else does.
    I bet a good % of Hawks fans do

  24. #19
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,555
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

    Unfortunately, this gives Byron Scott an opportunity to take a good team to a higher level with his leadership, which would be quite appealing to him I would think.

  25. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Beacontown High Beavers
    Posts
    322

    Default Re: Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only player I would want on the Pacers is Al Horford, but even he isn't the smartest player around. But he plays hard almost all the time. Even JJ isn't someone I really want, I mean he's an allstar and is a very good player
    Al Horford, Josh Smith, Mike Bibby, Marvin Williams, Joe Johnson, Jamal Crawford, and Jeff Teague would all make the Pacers better.

  26. #21
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For the record: I think Jim is at least as good of a coach as Mike.
    As do I.

  27. #22

    Default Re: Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I bet a good % of Hawks fans do
    The Hawks have fans?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  28. #23
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,549

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Hawks have fans?
    Yes, they do. I talked to both of them when I was in Atlanta early in the month.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  29. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For the record: I think Jim is at least as good of a coach as Mike.
    I agree they both equally suck a$$

  30. #25

    Default Re: Mike Woodson out as Hawks coach

    Larry Bird is killing me.

    Dear god, please force Larry Bird to fire Jim and hire one of the Mikes.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Hawks dismiss coach Mike Woodson after 6 seasons [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-14-2010, 12:20 PM
  2. Report: Hawks GM wanted to fire coach after trade [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2008, 04:30 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 09:33 PM
  4. Hawks offer job to Woodson
    By Kegboy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 02:08 PM
  5. Weekend Recap 01-18: News from around the NBA
    By kerosene in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-18-2004, 11:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •