Thread: PS3 or Xbox 360?

Default PS3 or Xbox 360?

I have searched old threads about these two systems but most seem to be from a year or two ago.

My PS2 quit working 5-6 years ago and I never bought another console. It's saved me ALOT of money but I have given in over the last couple of years to having Football Mogul and recently NBA 2K10 on my computer. Football Mogul is ok but it's meant for the PC. NBA 2K10 is awful though.

I'm starting to think it would be worth the few hundred dollars and just buy a gaming console. I don't know if I should get a PS3 or Xbox 360...

I'm not a DVD person. I only have a few DVDs so I really just care about the gaming aspect. I don't know how much online gaming i'll do though but then again maybe it's because I never did it before. I don't even think it existed when I last played my PS2...

My big concern is when they come out with another gaming console is that in the works for Xbox?

Overall what would you guys suggest getting?

Junior Member The Toxic Avenger's Avatar

Default Re: PS3 or Xbox 360?

I would guess that a new Xbox is at least 1.5 years away. For Christmas 2011 at the earliest... I'm guessing the same for playstation.

I've got a couple of Xboxes and I love them. Several Co workers have PS3's and they seems to really like them. I'll admit that Microsoft could have done some things better like built in Wireless (something the PS3 has) but even if I liked them both equally the only game that I can only get for the PS3 (that I want) is God of War... Every other game (that I like) is either on both or Xbox exclusive, like Halo.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Don't get an Xbox until November, but get an Xbox. Project Natal, Fable 3, and Halo:Reach are coming out this fall and these items will be big.

For info on Natal, go here: http://www.xbox.com/en-us/live/projectnatal/default.htm

I did just buy MLB10: The Show for my PS3, but I've been playing the Halo:Reach Multiplayer Beta for the past week. It's pretty good.

Xbox for online multiplayer and interaction and better exclusives, PS3 for the Blu-Ray support. Either way you can watch HD movies and television shows on each console via Zune Marketplace on the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation Store on the PS3.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have both. If I could only I have one I'd absolutely take the Xbox. No question.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have both. If I could only I have one I'd absolutely take the Xbox. No question.
    Me too. The Xbox 360 feels much more "fun" than the PS3. With the Avatar system and large online community the 360 just blows everything else out of the water.

I have two games for the PlayStation 3, and I don't play them. LittleBigPlanet GOTY Edition and MLB10: The Show.

I want to play The Show, but man, I don't have any time.

If you are big into the online gaming I would lean towards the 360. Live does cost 50 dollars a year, but I think the overall style and ease of use is much better then the PS3. With games like Halo Reach, Red Dead Redemption, and Fable 3 I think your online experience would be fantastic.

The PS3 has one of the best blue ray players out there and has some fantastic games coming out.

Honestly, I would just take a look at specific games that are coming out on just that are exclusive to the PS3 or 360. I would not worry about games like MW2 or Madden becuase they are pretty much the same across the gaming world except for the Wii.

If you rather play Halo Reach and Fable i would go with 360, but if you like Gran Turismo or Metal Gear Solid then I would lean towards a PS3. It is all about the exclusive games.

Mood

For the past 3 years I've been able to get a 12 or 12+1 month subscription of Xbox Live Gold for $34.99 from Amazon.com. You just have to watch the site often.

I would seriously consider shopping around before spending $50 on Xbox Live.

I think the points have been summed up pretty well. If you have no interest in Blu-Ray, then I'd be hard pressed to find a reason to get the PS3 over the 360. Maybe the fact that you can get online with the PS3 for free is a selling point, but the online for the PS3 isn't nearly as intuitive as it is for the 360. However, having never been online, you may not feel like you're missing much. Also, if you have friends online in one system or the other, that's a big deal, too.

The exclusives are a huge point, as mentioned previously. There are plenty of great exclusives for both systems at this point, so just line them up side by side and try to determine which list is most appealing.

There's also the upcoming Project Natal vs. Playstation Move debate. I think the Move will integrate better with current games, but Natal has more upside if developers will actively use it in their games. I feel like it's a bigger risk with Natal, because I think the entire way the game is developed will need to be different in order to make Natal as good as it could be, whereas with the Move, you just do the same sort of changes you made for the Wii, but in HD. I don't think either is a game-changer, however. Both will most likely cater towards casual gamers and party settings, with the intent on stealing market share from Nintendo.

If you're talkinga bout future-proofing, I'm not sure that either system is completely safe. Given that Sony has repeatedly said that the PS3 is on a 10 year life-cycle and that all PS3s have Blu-Ray for added capacity and hard drives that are easily upgradable by their user for relatively little money, I'd say the PS3 is more future-proof than the 360, which really needs to get a higher capacity disk to prevent their version being 3 disks instead of 1, and also needs to get away from the Red Ring of Death fiasco with a new platform. Having said all of that, if Microsoft comes out with something very innovative for it's next console, Sony will be under a lot of pressure to match it. 3D Project Natal is something that comes to mind, or maybe the processing power to have hundreds of players on-screen in a multiplayer setting. Something along those lines.

I think for someone in your situation, the main considerations are the exclusive games, and the additional cost of being online on the 360 to obtain the slicker online interface.

I love my PS3. I really don't miss any of those Xbox exclusives. Never really been an Xbox guy. I'm very happy playing God of War III right now. Can't wait to play Heavy Rain next. Although playing StarCraft 2 will certainly eat up some of my time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Depends on what you want to play.

Though mgs is the game of my life, I'll buy Xbox 360 because of DOA games.

Thank you all for your replys. I do really appreciate it.

I think i'm going to go with the Xbox. For what I want I think I would be most satisfied with that.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I have two games for the PlayStation 3, and I don't play them. LittleBigPlanet GOTY Edition and MLB10: The Show.

From the top 10 video game thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Uncharted 2 - If you have a PS3 and you don't have this game, to paraphrase Kevin Butler - "WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU!!!"
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I played Uncharted 2 at Fry's in Fishers the other day. Wasn't immediately impressed, but I've heard good things. If I ever get to borrow my grandfather's PS3 for an extended period of time again, I'll have to give it a shot.

I think everyone's done a very good job of expressing the Pro's and Con's of both. I suggest, before buying anything, to see if any friends who own either consoles will let you come over and try some games out and try the online services out, see how you like them.

Mood

I bought Uncharted 2, got halfway through it and traded it in towards something...I can't remember what it was. Maybe Final Fantasy XIII for my Xbox 360.

I don't have a lot of time allotted to play games, so it wasn't the fun factor that made me trade it in, but I'm in the same boat with FFXIII, however.

Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    Thank you all for your replys. I do really appreciate it.

I think i'm going to go with the Xbox. For what I want I think I would be most satisfied with that.
    If you want any game suggestions I will be more the willing to help out.

Also, make sure you get a mic becuase putting the sound down all the way sometimes is the only option when you get online. Some games have horrible communities and other games have good communities. Usually the more popular like MW2 or Halo have pretty bad.

Then again listening hearing a 10 year old get yelled at by his mom because he cursed online was fantastic.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    Then again listening hearing a 10 year old get yelled at by his mom because he cursed online was fantastic.
    Isn't it, though? Whenever I'm playing NASCAR 09, there always seems to be some redneck kid from Mississippi who runs his mouth nonstop. So, I put the little ******* in the wall, he gets pissed, and from time to time, you hear him getting yelled at. Simply outstanding.

Mood

Making fun of people online is well worth the subscription to Live by itself, let alone the gameplay and other extras...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

Uncharted 2 is an amazing game. The story line is ridiculously good, gets you hooked in so well. Game play is also incredibly smooth. Definitely one of my favorites.

Whatever system you get I highly recommend getting Gamefly. My roommate and i split the two games at a time and its definitely worth it. For less than 10 a month I get any game i want.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Uncharted 2 is an amazing game. The story line is ridiculously good, gets you hooked in so well. Game play is also incredibly smooth. Definitely one of my favorites.

Whatever system you get I highly recommend getting Gamefly. My roommate and i split the two games at a time and its definitely worth it. For less than 10 a month I get any game i want.
    Be careful, if you rent from GameFly, or heck, anywhere else don't rent an EA game. You'll only get to play it online for 7 days, then you'll have to pay $10 for an online pass.

This goes for used EA games as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    Isn't it, though? Whenever I'm playing NASCAR 09, there always seems to be some redneck kid from Mississippi who runs his mouth nonstop. So, I put the little ******* in the wall, he gets pissed, and from time to time, you hear him getting yelled at. Simply outstanding.
    The guys I was playing with could not stop laughing. I was sniping in MW2 and I probably killed this kid three straight times and he just started calling me an fn camper and so on in the game lobby and then you hear him getting scolded. He was ragged on for a few more games until he left the lobby.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Be careful, if you rent from GameFly, or heck, anywhere else don't rent an EA game. You'll only get to play it online for 7 days, then you'll have to pay $10 for an online pass.

This goes for used EA games as well.
    It was just a matter of time with EA. You are fine if you buy the game brand new, but if you rent or even buy used you are screwed. If this works other developers will start to follow suit and guys like Gamestop will be in trouble.