Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Blu-ray???

Default Do You Blu-ray???

Just an informal poll. Now that the prices for blu-ray players has come down to consumer level do you currently own a blu-ray player.

Yes
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Do You Blu-ray???

I have two.

You can get a Sony Blu-Ray player for $109.00 plus tax at Costco, so I assume prices are similar other places. In fact that is the one I own, have had it since October of last year. Very functional player, probably doesn't have the bells and whistles of newer models, but it does the trick.

I expected the picture to be clearer, but I wasn't expecting the colors to be so much brigher and more vivid. Now when I go back to watching something on regular HD after watching a movie on blu-ray, I notice a significant difference.

And it plays all my reguylar DVD's and I think the picture for those is quite a bit better than on a regular dvd player.

I don't see any downside to owning a blu-ray player, except maybe it makes you want to spend a lot of $$ on blu-ray movies.

One thing I don't love about the blu-ray player I have is the music and sound is much louder than the dialogue and I don't see a way to adjust that on the blu-ray player. I have adjusted my TV, but that hasn't helped any
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 05-06-2010 at 09:57 AM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

One thing I don't love about the blu-ray player I have is the music and sound is much louder than the dialogue and I don't see a way to adjust that on the blu-ray player. I have adjusted my TV, but that hasn't helped any
    If you have a Dolby Digital audio system this may help, if it's just the TV that you want the sound to go through, try turning off the 5.1 surround in the Blu-Ray movie menu to stereo. This may help...

I'm going to continue to live with the upscaling feature of my HD-DVD player. I'm still a little miffed at how that whole thing played out plus I'm not buying DVD's right now anyway (just using Netflix).

I will be certain Blu Ray is here to stay before I invest in any Blu Ray discs. And I haven't checked their prices lately but I'd need to see discs in the same price as reg DVD's. And I'm not hip to paying Netflix more for Blu Ray rentals either.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    If you have a Dolby Digital audio system this may help, if it's just the TV that you want the sound to go through, try turning off the 5.1 surround in the Blu-Ray movie menu to stereo. This may help...
    OK, I'll look into doing that. I think I tried to do something like that.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have a PS3 and I bluray. It's very nice now that I have an HD tv. I pay the extra 3 dollars for the netflix and it's not that outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I will be certain Blu Ray is here to stay before I invest in any Blu Ray discs.
    And this is why I started the thread. I've already invested way too much and everytime I blow good money on my expanding collection I have to ask myself are you insane. I do worry this could still turn out to be a niche thing.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

I've been a BD guy for over a year now.

Mood

Been one for several years now but started with HD-DVD first...

Just got an email about this, and I thought maybe some might appreciate it:

http://www.dvd2blu.com/index.html

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have a PS3, and rent blu-ray movies at blockbuster to watch on that. Love the picture, and sound quality, going through monoprice HDMI cables to a Panasonic LCD HDTV. The last 2 blu ray titles we rented were Final Destination, and Saw VI. They were decent, but not of the highest level of picture quality, Final Destination definitely had a better picture and sound of the two.

I've been following this thread on avsforum for a while now, it has a tiered ranking for a lot of blu-ray movies, and an extensive section explaining the rankings at the top of the thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1168342

Most blu ray movies definitely seem to have different qualities of picture, and sound. I would imagine a large production company will consistently put out the higher quality blu ray movies, as compared to say a lower budget company making a horror flick.

But look through that ranking thread, and see if anyone agrees or disagrees with some of their assessments on the better quality ones.

I'm still waiting for the red box to start adding some blu ray titles to boxes at certain locations, we just don't rent them often enough to get the netflix.

I do not Blu-Ray and I won't. I just dont like spending the money.

Quote Originally Posted by burnzone View Post
    I'm still waiting for the red box to start adding some blu ray titles to boxes at certain locations, we just don't rent them often enough to get the netflix.
    Love Redbox.....

Just picked up Saving Private Ryan on blu and thought about how much money I have spent over and over. Originally picked up a VHS copy of SPR way back when, then double dipped or triple dipped on the dvd versions. I'm really trying to work on my addiction.

I have a PS3 and I own a full collection of blu rays (I frequent best buy a lot and refuse to spend over $9.00 on a movie)

I also rent them from Netflix

Meh, I have a blu-ray and frankly while I can see some difference in the quality it is not the heart stopping impact I was expecting.

Yes, I have a high def tv.

Like I said, good quality but not soooooo spectacular that I feel I need to go out an buy again things I already own on DVD.

I'm sure eventually this will be outdated as well soon. Probably sooner than you would think

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Meh, I have a blu-ray and frankly while I can see some difference in the quality it is not the heart stopping impact I was expecting.

Yes, I have a high def tv.

Like I said, good quality but not soooooo spectacular that I feel I need to go out an buy again things I already own on DVD.

I'm sure eventually this will be outdated as well soon. Probably sooner than you would think
    I agree, but I do not think it will be outdated soon.

I thought mini disks would beat blu ray, but since they did not I think blu ray will be around for a long while. I think the bigger question is will 3d blu ray take off or will it be a [short lived] fad

Nerd.
    Mood

I have a PS3 and 2 BluRay players.

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    I agree, but I do not think it will be outdated soon.

I thought mini disks would beat blu ray, but since they did not I think blu ray will be around for a long while. I think the bigger question is will 3d blu ray take off or will it be a [short lived] fad
    For some reason, I see 3D television-movies as just a fad or a very small niche in the market.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:

I think a big thing that will determine 3d is video games.

I have a PS3 and our surround sound system has a blu ray player. I love watching Blu Rays on our high def tv.

If every 3D movie going forward was made the way Avatar was made (with 3D in mind all throughout production), I could see it becoming a permanent fixture, if not the future of television/movies.

However, now post-Avatar I see a ridiculous amount of movies that toss out "IN 3D!" at the end of their trailer, and you know it's 99% that they DID NOT make the movie with 3D in mind, but instead are going to apply some post-production gimmick to the movie to try to cash in on Avatar's success. This will sink 3D yet again IMO as audiences realize that relative to Avatar's 3D effect, most that follow will suck because of how they were done.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

I'm all for natively filmed 3D like Avatar but so far nothing has been "like Avatar" so until they can do those on a regular basis home 3D is going to be a very niche market.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    If every 3D movie going forward was made the way Avatar was made (with 3D in mind all throughout production), I could see it becoming a permanent fixture, if not the future of television/movies.

However, now post-Avatar I see a ridiculous amount of movies that toss out "IN 3D!" at the end of their trailer, and you know it's 99% that they DID NOT make the movie with 3D in mind, but instead are going to apply some post-production gimmick to the movie to try to cash in on Avatar's success. This will sink 3D yet again IMO as audiences realize that relative to Avatar's 3D effect, most that follow will suck because of how they were done.
    Give it time. Avatar was pretty much the first to do it that way. The recent movies in 3D are just trying to capitalize on what Avatar brought to the table (block buster movie in 3D). Most the movies that have come out in 3D since then were mostly completed and just threw the 3D in there like you said. I bet there are a good amount of movies being made for 3D in the way Avatar was now too.

I think its too early to say 3D will be a niche. Will it replace 2D completely? No, cause no one wants to wear 3D glasses all the time while watching tv and a lot of things on tv are pointless in 3D. But lets see how the World Cup will be in 3D. There are still a lot of projects yet to be seen.

If the market were to stay exactly the same then I would say 3D will become a niche, but its still progressing.

As long as you have to wear those GOOFY glasses (or glasses of any kind) 3D television will NEVER take off.

It only works once in a great while at the cinema because it's once in a great while and something different. If EVERY movie was 3D and required goofy glasses you'd see movie attendance declining.

For 3D TV (or movies) to have any mass acceptance on an everyday basis it must be done (somehow) without the glasses.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    For some reason, I see 3D television-movies as just a fad or a very small niche in the market.
    I tend to agree, I mean who ants to sit with those silly glasses on all the time. it is one thing to go to a movie theater and sit wth those things on for 2 hours, it is another thing to expect to do that at home