Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ABADays has passed away.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: ABADays has passed away.

I could kick myself. I was going to ask him to go to a game with me last spring and it didn't come together for whatever reason on my end. He didn't know but to myself I thought I'd make it up to him this season, felt like I owed him.

I guess my main concern was that I wasn't sure how mobile he was, but I didn't know the cancer had come back.

Great guy, as the thread shows.

If there is something to take away from this it's his impact and how we can carry on that attitude. There are tons of online forums for all sorts of subjects. Some others are on the PD par, but not many. The fact that we do get together and make it a family is special, even if it seems trivial or simple at the time.

Hopefully there will be a day we look back and talk about Gnome or Peck or maybe even me like this, meaning that we will have carried on this Pacer fan family for decades to come. There's no good reason not too IMO. John has shown us the model and we'd do him proud to follow him I think.

Hopefully he's someplace where he can feel our appreciation too.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He always seemed to say the right things in a sentence or two. The trivial things never seemed to fall on him in heavy ways. My prayers and condolences to his family.

Very sad news to hear, my thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. A passionate Pacers fan with memories of the great ABA era when they were dominant, and a military man as well.

You don't find many people out there as respectable, and well thought of as ABADays. The one silver lining to think about with his passing, along with remembering a great guy, is imagining him sitting down to have a beer, and conversation with Roger Brown.

Rest in peace, ABADays.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow. You guys have summed it up pretty well. I remember ABA from when I first found the Star forums almost 13 years ago. My prayers go to his family, his friends, and even you guys. I never got to meet him in person, but like many other, always enjoyed what he contributed on here. R.I.P.

Wake me up next season.
    Mood

Sports Logo

RIP ABAdays

This saddens me to no end. I considered him my very close friend, even though I met him only online, but we shared another connection oter than the pacers.

As other have posted, he was in Iraq running one of the MWRs at LSA Anaconda, in Balad Iraq. He did things for the troops no one can understand. Every year he was there he organized a party for Jimm Buffet fans called Buffettfest Iraq. I still have one of the Tshirts he sent me for sending supplies to the party in Iraq. The party was amazing for the troops from the pictures I saw. They had live bands, and give aways you can't believe for the troops including tshirts, cds, dvds, leis, etc etc etc....He even helped arrange a live concert DVD to be sent direct from Jimmy Buffett himself with a recorded message to the festival for the troops.

In addition, he did a lot for me while my brother was stationened in Iraq. He explained to me the experiences te troops have over there told me the best stuff to send in care packages, and just generally talked a lot in private messages back and forth the entire time he was over there. I told my brother about him and when he was in LSA anaconda moving through even for a day, he went and met ABA in person. ABA took time out of his busy schedule and spent several hours just talking with my brother and made a real impression on my brother.

He was such a great guy. I will miss his presence on the forums and a lot fo people including the troops will miss him much more for the contributions he made to their service. The thing that struck me most was always how humble he was. He never believed the service and long time he sent in Iraq was anything other than his duty to the, in his words, "the real hero's".

RIP John. I will miss you my friend. I am a better person for having met you. I imagine many people who did left with a very similar impression.

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Gyron For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

All hail King George! KnicksRGarbage's Avatar

I don't want to seem redundant, but I feel the need to post just a little something.

I had the privilege to meet this man one time. It was at last years draft party as thejaddler has said. I spoke with him for a few minutes before we went up to Legends. I can tell you he was one nicest people I've ever met. I'm certain about that and I only met this man one time. Even when he wasn't talking you could see his kindness in the way he carried himself and the way he listened to others speak. You could tell just by looking at his face and seeing the way he handled himself with his wife (my condolences to you madame.) that this man had a kind and loving heart. I never really got to interact with him in anything major here on PD, but meeting him has always stuck with me. And that's the truth, not just something I think of due to the recent unfortunate events.
    It's very clear that Mr. Jackson was an outstanding fan and an outstanding man . It's too bad I was unable to be more involved with him, but I will certainly never forget the conversations I had with John Jackson.
    Coach Vogel on the Chicago crowd in game 4 : "I only heard pacers fans. I didn't see any red, I saw Pacers fans I saw yellow and blue, and I heard Pacers chants. That's all I heard the whole game."

http://www.cacawebdev.com

I found his obituary at the funeral home....I didn't know some of the stuff posted in it, like he used to be David Letterman's Radio Show Producer.....

http://www.leppertandhensley.com/services.aspx?ID=1173

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gyron For This Useful Post:

I thought I would also post something that he had PM'ed me after a post I had made making fun of Celine Dion one day.....I think this gives a good idea how big of a heart this man had.....I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I posted it.....We had many conversations before this one, and many after. I will miss him.....

And I quote from John Jackson, 4/27/2007:
    "Your remark about Celine Dion was funny. I know everyone makes fun of her but there is a little story about why I like her.

Right after 9/11 - I, like nearly everyone, felt helpless. I was in such a total funk. I watched the Tribute to Heroes. Rarely has a song had an affect on me as when she sang God Bless America. I mean, she's Canadian for crying out loud. But I will tell you something. That song was a defining moment. I didn't feel helpless any longer. It is one of the major factors I am here. I was not going to feel helpless anymore - I was going to do something.

It was an odd route to get here but I was determined, as a civilian, to stand with the soldiers.

If you get a chance to see the video you will know what I mean. As corny as it may suond, it was the anthem in my heart and brought me here. "

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gyron For This Useful Post:

This is terribly sad news. Great man, great fan.

I was sorry to hear this news. I didn't know him real well but he seemed like a great guy.

Mood

Oh my goodness. I've been absent from the Digest for some time, and I just logged in tonight and saw this at the top and my jaw dropped.

I didn't know John personally, but as a poster on here, his was the simple opinion that always seemed to be the voice of reason. His perspective on anything was always the old-school, common sense, unrattled perspective. I loved reading his posts because you could tell in every one of them that John was a truly good guy, honest, fair, and thoughtful.

His work in Iraq speaks for itself. What an incredible way to serve those who serve our country.

John will be greatly missed in many circles, I'm sure, and this message board is certainly no different. People aren't made like him anymore, and every time we lose someone with his heart and character, and there is no one to replace them.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

17. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    March 18, 2010
    Thanks, John Jackson

* Read Comments (6)

Some blog regulars might remember the name. He used Crash Davis as a handle on comments. He had been a blog regular since our first season.

John paid me one of the kindest compliments I have received in this online adventure. An Indy guy from the South Side, he was working with the troops in Iraq when the Colts made their Super Bowl XLI run. He wrote after the Colts' win and shared that following the live chat during the game made him feel like he was in the stadium with me.

I did a story on him the next season. I remember interviewing him from home, on my speaker phone, from Iraq.

Anyway, John passed away today. I'm told he had been battling cancer. I wasn't aware of his condition until a few days ago.

I don't blog much in the offseason, as most of you know, but I thought John deserved a shout out.

Here's to you, Crash. Thanks for following the blog and for your correspondence. Your compliment will never be forgotten.

I will miss you.

http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/2010...n_jackson.html
    I was just in my PD archives and stumbled across the picture from the article referenced here. I don't have the article, unfortunately......

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

There was a time that I'd driven down from Chicago for a game and John was also going to be at the game, so he came over to "204" to hang out for a while.

We probably spent the entire second quarter of that game having a good natured "bickering" about Jamaal Tinsley. You can all imagine what was said. But it was good natured, and an enjoyable back-and-forth.

That's my best memory of John.

Last year, when I donated to his cancer walk team, I jokingly put in that it was a gift from the Jamaal Tinsley fan club, knowing that John would get a kick out of it. John was a guy that I could debate with while never worrying that it would get ugly or personal.

And John's passion for the things he was passionate about. We should all try to live our lives to be as fulfilling as his was.

Thanks, John, for your service to the country. Thanks for your contributions to PD. And thanks for fighting the brave war against that terrible thing known as cancer.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Unhappy Re: ABADays has passed away.

There are several stories about ABA on here and I can add one more.

I have been to a few of forum parties and met ABA just twice, I believe. One night at Perkins after Pizza King closed I was sitting across from ABA. I didn’t have much money since I had a two hour drive each way, (I was a poor college student) but I was contemplating ordering a piece of pie. I went ahead and ordered the pie, then immediately told the waitress never mind, because I wanted to make sure I had enough gas money to get home. Well, after a few minutes passed the waitress came out with a piece of pie. I looked at her crappy and reminded her I had changed my mind. ABA looked at me and said he had told her to bring it anyways. I told him next party I owed him a piece of pie. Too bad I never got the chance.

That’s just the type of guy ABA was. I did not know him very well, but I do know he was an exceptional human being that served him country proudly. RIP ABA
    Last edited by Believe_in_blue; 05-18-2010 at 11:36 PM.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Believe_in_blue For This Useful Post:

I know I don't post much on here, but I can't help but add my name and experience with ABAdays on here.

Though my experience was strictly confined to a internet nature, I have to say that in my personal opinion, he was a warm hearted man who served his country to the fullest.

Your spot among these forums will missed and never be filled.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

This was posted in the "Words We Wrote" thread, which perhaps hasn't been seen by many here. The rest are ABADays' words:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    Wrote this in Iraq during a difficult time.

THE UNLIKELY JOURNEY

Twilight comes to all of us, sooner rather than later
    And through unforeseen fate, necessity can become a part.
    The horizon is not distant anymore and Hope nothing but a mist

A calling not my own beckoned me to a foreign land.
    To serve fathers, mothers, sons and daughters and forgive a void long ago.
    But the Cradle of Civilization not what was expected.

I see them so young - a need to lift their hearts.
    But cannot replace the comfort of the home they left behind.
    Still, the father in me is to care for the warriors of many places

I see those so different and have the wisdom to know
    Man is man, woman is woman and child is child - I can make a difference however small.
    The bounty is not my own, it is for the good of one and all.

Chaos creates chaos, conscience guides my path.
    Death lies in wait for some – a truth that cannot be denied.
    Embrace the opportunity to make the right decision

But Evil comes from “friends”. They test the simple intent
    The test of what is meant. I do not pass their test.
    Results are unexpected, the return is so confused.

The heart and mind are injured and the Soul has been destroyed
    What was the meaning of all of this I ask?
    St.Jude I need your help to find my Father’s ear.

I do not know the answer of the road you led me to.

My mind carries the load of time and trials away from one protected.
    I await the answer to my prayers with belief I am not wrong.
    In His own time, with deepest hope, my prayers will be answered.

Now I am the professional. Knowledge replaces the heart.
    Experience and words replace spirit and the Soul.
    He says, “It is now meant for you.”

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

Jimmy V's Classic being tonight had me thinking about ABADays...

Jimmy V's words still ring true and apply very well to ABAdays as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy V
    Cancer can take away all my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart and it cannot touch my soul. And those three things are going to carry on forever.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Just now seeing this for the first time, haven't been very active during the Pacers J.O.B. years. ABADays was a class guy and will be missed.
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

30. The Following User Says Thank You to brichard For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Didn't have the honor of being a part of these forums for this man's time. R.I.P sir.

An early bump.........for March 18th!! to remember our friend.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

What a guy. I rarely post here (but spend some time at Indy Star forum) but this thread has touched my heart. I hope that I leave a legacy like him...

Darren

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I haven't visited here in quite a while. I came to wish you all good luck in round 2 and this thread happened to catch my eye.

I don't cry on message boards. At least not until today. Reading this thread brought tears to my eyes. ABADays was one of the first to reach out to me - a wandering Kings fan - and although I never got to meet him in person I always looked forward to reading his posts. He was truly one of the good ones.

I'm very sorry for his passing but I'm glad to have gotten the chance to converse with him, even if it was only through a message board. I know he's a happy Pacers fan right now.
    NBA basketball - taking my breath away since 1963.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VF21 For This Useful Post:

Brought to the top in remembrance of our friend ABADAYS!!! I know you're smiling from above watching this season.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post: