Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ABADays has passed away.

Default Re: ABADays has passed away.

Damn.

My condolences to his family. Like many of you, I only conversed with him through the board, but he seemed like a genuinely nice guy. Good natured and appreciative.

May he rest in peace.

I feel the same after hearing this sad news as I did after hearing about the passing of Sixth Man. Sad for the person, and for their families and friends, and also for the fact that I never got a chance to meet either one. From all accounts they both were people to be proud of knowing.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Condolences to his family.

I didn't know him well, but it's very upsetting to see a fellow fan pass.

Even though his health had been failing for some time now, I'm still shocked and very saddened to hear this. He was every bit as good a guy IRL as he was on this forum.

R.I.P. John. It was a privilege getting to know you for the short time we did, and I'm glad I got to meet you in person on multiple occasions. You will be missed.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

You guys remember that time during one of our forum parties held at the Nora Donato's?

A round of pizzas were either coming out or just had come out, and the manager came in afterward and said someone had just called in and paid for all of our pizza.

We were all looking at each other for a second, puzzled, then we asked, "Who?"

She said something to the effect of, "He said you'd know who he was if I told you the ABA days."

7. The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I've only been able to attend one forum party, and it happened to be one attended by ABA days (John). Being somewhat of a newbie, I didn't really get to converse with him on the board much. But I remember being impressed by his service and insightful words. He seemed to be one who chose his words carefully, and when he spoke, you just listened. Praying for his family in this difficult time.

R.I.P sir. Thanks for the contributions you made for this forum, as well as our country

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

I remember him from my lurker days. Seemed like a really intelligent and great guy.

Condolences to his family.

RIP
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

One of the most, level headed intelligent, and nicest posters on this forum.

I have missed his contributions in the past couple months, and it makes me sad to know that he lost his battle, but I am sure it was a battle that he fought in a truly heart felt way.

RIP ABAdays.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Talking Re: ABADays has passed away.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You guys remember that time during one of our forum parties held at the Nora Donato's?

A round of pizzas were either coming out or just had come out, and the manager came in afterward and said someone had just called in and paid for all of our pizza.

She said something to the effect of, "He said you'd know who he was if I told you the ABA days."
    How is it possible to be both happy & sad at the same time? Yea I remember this. It's important to state that he was in Iraq when he did this

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Once I said something about the pacers that did not include the teams ABA history and he quickly let me know that pacer history did not begin when the pacers entered the nba but then again I wasn't a hoosier then.

He knew some great times.

I am sad. A good man has passed away. The world needs more good people not less.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Can anyone say what he did in Iraq?

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    Can anyone say what he did in Iraq?
    He ran MWR rec facilities...like gyms, tv rooms, etc. Just what I picked up from the 'in Iraq' thread.

I never met the man, only posted a few times with him. It's obvious he's being remembered with love and respect here. The stories from Hicks and sweabs seem to say a lot about the guy. I wish I'd got to meet him.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Peace be upon him

Man. : (
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

My condolences to the family.

Hicks, I was just about to post that story. That was the one forum party I was able to attend. I had forgotten what he said but I remember Peck asking the waitress if she knew where ABA had called from and how wide her eyes were when he replied "in Iraq".

I am not sure if it would be inappropriate to send a card from the forum to the family, but if that is something that the forum wanted to do I would gladly assist with that.

Always sad to lose a member of any community, but like another poster said it reminds us how we have to live every day to its fullest.

Also a reminder to say thank you and/or shake hands any time you see a person in uniform or someone who has served overseas in any capacity.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sweabs View Post
    Many years ago, a fast food chain (maybe Hardees?) was giving their customers in Indiana a free "Live-strong" wristband - except it said something like GO PACERS on it. Someone made a post about it here on Pacers Digest, and being a young teenager at the time amidst the "live-strong" wristband craze - I made an innocent reply about how cool of a promotion that was.

Of course, I live in another country. And, furthermore, I had probably been a member of PD for no longer than a month by that time. And I imagine the majority of my posts were nothing more than your typical fanboy blindly cheering for his favourite team.

Sure enough, I receive a PM. It is John (ABAdays) - and he wants to send one of the wristbands to me in the mail.

You can imagine what kind of impression that had on me. Here I was, a member of the board for no more than a month (contributing little to nothing of substance!) and living in another country - yet John reaches out to help.

I gave him my address, and about one week later I came home from school to hear my parents say "some package from INDIANA came to you in the mail?!?"

I went into the kitchen to get it, expecting an envelope with the wristband inside.

Instead, there is a gigantic cardboard BOX. The return address is from none other than John.

Would you believe he filled an entire box full of Pacers memorabilia, clothing, etc. and paid the exorbitant shipping costs to have it sent express to another country? For some kid on an online message board?

A jacket, tshirts, a winter toque, magazines, beer coolers, pennants...you name it. And of course, my wristband (and a bunch of extras!).

Up to that point, I had never met anyone from Indiana (and I never actually 'met' John). But that experience has forever shaped my perception of you folks; and that man never wanted a thing in return. We continued to talk on and off through private messaging. A lot of times, we would talk about volleyball (his daughter is/was an exceptional player).

I suppose one of the most difficult parts to hearing this sad news is that I will likely be traveling throughout Indiana for a month later this year. Of course, I am looking forward to meeting so many of you during that time - and John was one of those people. I was really hoping to treat him to a beer at some point.

That day will come.

Rest in peace, friend.
    A great story! Thank you for sharing

This is not the first thing I wanted to read when I logged in here tonight. Truly shocking indeed. As many of you know, while I never served with him in Iraq, but I was deployed 3 separate times while he was over in Iraq. That's a span from 2005-2009. The main thing I will remember about him, is that he always made sure that Hicks knew to throw my name on the "ABAdays in Iraq" thread, something that some may not understand but is something that means alot to us that have been deployed. Small things like that equate to huge things in our minds and hearts and keep us very connected with all of you guys.

When I was in Kirkuk, Iraq and while he was also in Iraq, he pm'd me asking me if I could use some reading material. I said yes of course, and then he sent me about 10 books all on Pacers, Colts, and other sports stuff. In every one of those books, I put in black marker "From ABAdays, 2007" on the front cover and then left them in Iraq for others to enjoy. I never talked to him on the phone, never saw him in person but I can tell you that when you are over in Iraq or wherever, to get something like that from someone like ABAdays is one of the best moments one could have. I still remember it today and still couldn't believe this guy was going to take time out of his day to box up some books and send them to me.

But he did because sending those books and buying the pizza's for you guys was the type of guy he was.

I know every time I deploy, I'm going to miss not sharing the "ABAdays in Iraq" title with him.

Rest in peace brother and thank you for every thing that you did.

27. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to cramerica For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I did not want to see this thread. This is simply terrible, terrible news.

I never met ABADays in person but conversed online with him many times. I'm not sure you could find another poster here with his even demeanor.

ABADays had a passion for the Indy 500 and Month of May as do I. And how could I not appreciate the little whistling icon every time a Jonathon Bender mention or thread came along?

I knew his health had taken a turn back in December but I kept hoping we'd see a new post from him telling us he'd once again won the battle and was ready for the Month of May at the Speedway.

I'm sure for this year's race he now has a seat better than any seat in the grandstands... He'll be looking down on the track from above.

Godspeed ABADays!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

R.I.P.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

aww

I remember reading quite a few of his posts from past lurking , and he seemed like a genuinely good guy .. and very knowledgable in any given Pacers/general basketball topics .. ..

Rest in Peace John aka. "ABADays"

You WILL be missed ...

Last edited by Kemo; 05-09-2010 at 02:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sweabs View Post
    Many years ago, a fast food chain (maybe Hardees?) was giving their customers in Indiana a free "Live-strong" wristband - except it said something like GO PACERS on it. Someone made a post about it here on Pacers Digest, and being a young teenager at the time amidst the "live-strong" wristband craze - I made an innocent reply about how cool of a promotion that was.

Of course, I live in another country. And, furthermore, I had probably been a member of PD for no longer than a month by that time. And I imagine the majority of my posts were nothing more than your typical fanboy blindly cheering for his favourite team.

Sure enough, I receive a PM. It is John (ABAdays) - and he wants to send one of the wristbands to me in the mail.

You can imagine what kind of impression that had on me. Here I was, a member of the board for no more than a month (contributing little to nothing of substance!) and living in another country - yet John reaches out to help.

I gave him my address, and about one week later I came home from school to hear my parents say "some package from INDIANA came to you in the mail?!?"

I went into the kitchen to get it, expecting an envelope with the wristband inside.

Instead, there is a gigantic cardboard BOX. The return address is from none other than John.

Would you believe he filled an entire box full of Pacers memorabilia, clothing, etc. and paid the exorbitant shipping costs to have it sent express to another country? For some kid on an online message board?

A jacket, tshirts, a winter toque, magazines, beer coolers, pennants...you name it. And of course, my wristband (and a bunch of extras!).

Up to that point, I had never met anyone from Indiana (and I never actually 'met' John). But that experience has forever shaped my perception of you folks; and that man never wanted a thing in return. We continued to talk on and off through private messaging. A lot of times, we would talk about volleyball (his daughter is/was an exceptional player).

I suppose one of the most difficult parts to hearing this sad news is that I will likely be traveling throughout Indiana for a month later this year. Of course, I am looking forward to meeting so many of you during that time - and John was one of those people. I was really hoping to treat him to a beer at some point.

That day will come.

Rest in peace, friend.
    It was Hardee's, I was a teen and remember wanting one too. I was pretty happy when I got mine, so I guess I just really related to your story. I don't know him at all, but this says a lot about the guy and his character. Just an awesome story.

Rest In Peace

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Wow! That's that's truly horrible news. I didn't, offcourse, know him in person, but I do remember a lot of his posts and a few PM's between the two of us.

Always seemed like a very kind person with a BIG and longtime love for the Pacers.

He will be missed, that's for sure, witness the stories in this thread.

May you rest in peace John.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rest in peace, friend.

I conversed with him a few times over the forum. Truly great guy. Definitely will be missed.

The good ones go too soon...