Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ABADays has passed away.

Mood

Unhappy ABADays has passed away.

I'm sorry to report that it appears our friend ABADays has passed away.

As some of you are aware, his name came up recently and we were wondering what he might be up to. Since he had not been around for a while, some of started doing some searching.

Doug remembered that John was a big parrot head, and when he looked he found this:

http://www.phindyphc.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PHINdy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

On March 18th a member of our phlock lost his battle with cancer. John Jackson was a champion for the cause and was one of the top fundraisers for the Relay in 2009. John was already registered as a participant in this year's event but cancer robbed him of his chance to participate. If you would like to remember John by donating to the cause in his honor, Click Here to visit his personal page and make your contribution. PHINdy is tracking these donations and will let the family know of your memorial gift.
    Those of us who have had the pleasure of meeting him in person recognize that that is in fact a picture of him.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: ABADays has passed away.

Sorry to hear of his passing. My sympathy and condolences to his family.

Justin

R.I.P.

Wow, that's terrible.

I know there have been a few people that have passed away that once posted here before, and my biggest condolences to them and their families.

ABADays was the first guy who has passed away on here (at least that I know of) who I have actually conversed with on this board. I never met him in person, but he seemed like a class guy here on this message board. Obviously he was around for ABA, but I would have loved for him to be able to see the Pacers win a title in the NBA.

ABA, I hope whatever follows this life is treating you well.
    Last edited by idioteque; 05-08-2010 at 04:59 PM.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rest in peace, ABADays.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sad to here. He'll be missed by his Pacer friends on this forum. Condolences to his friends and family.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Sounds like he was a great guy. RIP.

March 18, 2010
    Thanks, John Jackson

* Read Comments (6)

Some blog regulars might remember the name. He used Crash Davis as a handle on comments. He had been a blog regular since our first season.

John paid me one of the kindest compliments I have received in this online adventure. An Indy guy from the South Side, he was working with the troops in Iraq when the Colts made their Super Bowl XLI run. He wrote after the Colts' win and shared that following the live chat during the game made him feel like he was in the stadium with me.

I did a story on him the next season. I remember interviewing him from home, on my speaker phone, from Iraq.

Anyway, John passed away today. I'm told he had been battling cancer. I wasn't aware of his condition until a few days ago.

I don't blog much in the offseason, as most of you know, but I thought John deserved a shout out.

Here's to you, Crash. Thanks for following the blog and for your correspondence. Your compliment will never be forgotten.

I will miss you.

http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/2010...n_jackson.html

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is very sad news, indeed. I've had the opportunity to befriend John both on this board and a few times in real life either by a forum get together or just bumping into him around town sometime back. I felt terrible hearing his cancer came back fearing this would be the end result.

I'll miss seeing him at our future get togethers. I always looked forward to his insight tying our Pacers to the "ABA Days"!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

I don't even have words right now.

The fact that he has been gone since March and we are just now finding out about it makes me even more sad. I wanted to pay my last respects but now I will only be able to do so on here.

While I only knew ABA days from online and a few times that we met at our party's that Jose has hosted over the years I can tell you that he was one of the nicest people I have had the pleasure to come in contact with.

A real honest person who would actually listen to what you had to say and would engage you in conversation.

I think John started posting on the starnews forums back in about 96 if I remember right, as the years go by I tend to be forgetful.

I will always remember him for his passion of the Pacers and pretty much all things Indianapolis and the fact that if one person held Jon Bender in any lower esteem than I did it was ABA days. In fact I cannot see our whistling smilie without thinking of ABA's comments regarding Jon.

This was a man who truely cared for the people he worked with and for. I know many of you guys have had contacts with him as members of the armed forces or family memebers who were in the armed forces and you can attest far better than I that to John this was not just a job.

This is a great loss for our forum and the Pacers community, this wasn't a person who was a casual fan or poster. This was one of the original posters from back in the day and an original fan of the team, as you can tell by his online name.

He will be truely missed and will never be forgotten.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Well said Peck.

This is a very sad day indeed.

I hope his real family knows how much his online family will miss him.

Sad news indeed.

I too met him in person for the first time at our forum parties. He was always a classy and passionate fan, who treated everyone with respect and kindness.

But online is where I really got to know him. He would PM me almost every time I posted something when he was overseas, and one of the reasons I enjoyed posting as often as I used to was to read his comments to me about whatever topic I had chosen to cover. I know from all those email exchanges that he really valued his online friends and connections with those here at PD and other places. John was a true gentleman. We chatted about just not sports but many other things as well, and many of us I am sure were deeply honored by knowing him, due to his loyal service to our country and deep passion for all things Indiana.

When you drop to your knees tonight, say a little prayer for him and his family, and for all of those inflicted with the dreaded disease of Cancer.

Tbird

Did he go by the username "ColtinIraq" on the Colts forums?

Sad news. He was a very classy guy. Just a reminder to all of us that we need to appreciate every day we have and be thankful to those who love us and to those we love

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Oh, my.

I was afraid he had taken a turn for the worse when we stopped hearing from him, but (probably like many) was waiting for someone else to let us know his status.

He will be missed.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

RIP good sir...

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

God bless you and God bless your family, John.

You will truly, truly be missed.

Goodbye, ABADays and Godspeed ...
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Condolences to friends and family.

I barely knew him, but I can remember the impact pacerfan's (Sixth Man) passing made on RealGM. Honestly, it destroyed the board. That clearly won't happen here, but it is amazing the impact that someone can have on people even though they only knew them virtually.

To those on this board who knew him and counted him a friend, my condolences are with you.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Condolences to friends and family.

I barely knew him, but I can remember the impact pacerfan's (Sixth Man) passing made on RealGM. Honestly, it destroyed the board. That clearly won't happen here, but it is amazing the impact that someone can have on people even though they only knew them virtually.

To those on this board who knew him and counted him a friend, my condolences are with you.
    I never "knew him", but I read him. Everything else count said and those below. I came from RealGM after pacerfan's passing, so I can relate to the loss on an on-line friend.
    God speed.
    PG
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

This is sad to hear. Hopefully he found pleasure in this life and is in a better place right now. Rest in peace.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sorry to hear this. I'll miss his contributions here. I hope wherever he is now, that he's in a good place.

RIP
    Last edited by Kstat; 05-08-2010 at 07:18 PM.

2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

My inadequate condolences to his friends and family as they all cope with adjusting to their individual and collective worlds without him. Hopefully they are all supporting each other and find their collective bonds and faith growing stronger as time continues to pass.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

sweabs

Many years ago, a fast food chain (maybe Hardees?) was giving their customers in Indiana a free "Live-strong" wristband - except it said something like GO PACERS on it. Someone made a post about it here on Pacers Digest, and being a young teenager at the time amidst the "live-strong" wristband craze - I made an innocent reply about how cool of a promotion that was.

Of course, I live in another country. And, furthermore, I had probably been a member of PD for no longer than a month by that time. And I imagine the majority of my posts were nothing more than your typical fanboy blindly cheering for his favourite team.

Sure enough, I receive a PM. It is John (ABAdays) - and he wants to send one of the wristbands to me in the mail.

You can imagine what kind of impression that had on me. Here I was, a member of the board for no more than a month (contributing little to nothing of substance!) and living in another country - yet John reaches out to help.

I gave him my address, and about one week later I came home from school to hear my parents say "some package from INDIANA came to you in the mail?!?"

I went into the kitchen to get it, expecting an envelope with the wristband inside.

Instead, there is a gigantic cardboard BOX. The return address is from none other than John.

Would you believe he filled an entire box full of Pacers memorabilia, clothing, etc. and paid the exorbitant shipping costs to have it sent express to another country? For some kid on an online message board?

A jacket, tshirts, a winter toque, magazines, beer coolers, pennants...you name it. And of course, my wristband (and a bunch of extras!).

Up to that point, I had never met anyone from Indiana (and I never actually 'met' John). But that experience has forever shaped my perception of you folks; and that man never wanted a thing in return. We continued to talk on and off through private messaging. A lot of times, we would talk about volleyball (his daughter is/was an exceptional player).

I suppose one of the most difficult parts to hearing this sad news is that I will likely be traveling throughout Indiana for a month later this year. Of course, I am looking forward to meeting so many of you during that time - and John was one of those people. I was really hoping to treat him to a beer at some point.

That day will come.

Rest in peace, friend.
    Last edited by sweabs; 05-08-2010 at 07:09 PM.

30. The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to sweabs For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I had the privilige to talk to him many times here on the board and in person during various forum events, etc. The last time I physically saw him was during last year's draft party and he seemed to be doing well.

Regardless, he was a great guy and he served his country with pride. He was a big fan of just about any Indiana sports team, and most-importantly the Pacers.

The loss of ABADays will have a tremendous impact for me and a lot of the other posters on this board, as other posters have said that he was a very good source for rational debate and discussion.

Since coming back from Iraq he was able to make it to a couple of the forum parties, and I can say it'll be hard to fathom knowing that he won't be walking through the door in his Pacers hat and shirt.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the PD "family", we have lost one of our own. To his family I wish them the best, and to carry on his legacy as a solider for our country and the battle against cancer.

Rest in peace, John "ABADays" Jackson. You will be missed.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 05-08-2010 at 07:05 PM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post: