Thread: Schoolkids disappointed when Patriots don't show up

Default Schoolkids disappointed when Patriots don't show up

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...w-up/#comments

Schoolkids disappointed when Patriots don't show up
    Posted by Michael David Smith on May 5, 2010 6:12 PM ET
    Students at Lebanon Middle School in Lebanon, Connecticut, thought they were going to work out with members of the New England Patriots on Tuesday. Instead they got a Patriots intern with an aerobics video.

"I think the hardest thing yesterday was seeing all my kids coming down they had their Sharpies and their footballs and their jerseys and I was like, gosh, what am I gonna do," said physical education and health teacher Alyssa Fabry.

The school participated in the NFL's Play 60 program, which encourages young people to stay active, and they were told they were being rewarded with a visit from the Patriots that would include "celebrity coaches." The school assumed that meant Patriots players and coaches.

But it was just the Patriots intern who attended the event, and a Patriots spokesman told WTNH that "celebrity coaches" actually meant someone like the town's mayor or the school principal would be asked to serve as a coach.

"I don't think I am going to do it again next year," Fabry told the Norwich Bulletin. "They built it up quite a bit and really did not come through."

I have a feeling the Patriots will make it up to the school by having another event, one with a representative of the Patriots who's a little more prominent than an intern.

Default Re: Schoolkids disappointed when Patriots don't show up

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...middle-school/

Bill Belichick, Dan Koppen show up at Lebanon Middle School

Posted by Mike Florio on May 12, 2010 11:15 PM ET

We mentioned last week that the Patriots had an opportunity to score some major P.R. points in the wake of the misunderstanding at Lebanon Middle School in Connecticut, which through no fault of the Patriots resulted in a mistaken belief that a member of the team would be showing up.

And the Patriots did just that on Wednesday.

Coach Bill Belichick and offensive lineman Dan Koppen made the trip to the school, at the suggestion of owner Robert Kraft. A video of the visit appears at the team's website.

We've got to give the Pats credit. It wasn't their mess, but they cleaned it up in a big way. Well done.

Interesting that Belichik had this videotaped....

Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I liked the story better without the update.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post: