Tyler Hansborough 3 yr, 7.2M
    Totals: For 2010/11 - 22,454,853; Total Salaries - 27,648,152

IND gets:

Elton Brand 3 yr, 51.2M
    Jrue Holiday 3 yr, 6.0M
    Mareese Speights 2 yr, 4.5M
    Willie Green 1 yr, 4.0M
    Totals: For 2010/11 - 23,336,980; Total Salaries - 65,694,610

We take on Brand's contract which is ALL negative value at this point. I still think that Elton can be a solid player in this league, although not a 20/10/2 guy like he has been. He can score, rebound, and block some shots, which is always in short supply. He is a solid veteran and he understands the game well. We get Jrue and Mareese which would be the future of our team. Willie Green is filler.

They get a huge amount of salary relief. They get one year of two solid veterans so their team is still solid and they take a downgrade from Speights to a very marketable Hansborough.

PG - Holiday, Price
    SG - Rush, DJones
    SF - Granger, Dunleavy
    PF - Speights, Brand, McRoberts
    C - Hibbert, Foster, SJones

Obviously this trade's biggest characteristic is money. We get the young talent for a salary dump. The biggest problem with this deal is that in 2012/13 which is Brand's last year, we will probably be looking at paying the LT because Speights, Price, Rush, and Hibbert will all need to be re-signed and that is the first year of their new deals. We will own all of their Bird Rights so we won't be overly restricted in only signing one player or another. But I think this team would be good enough to warrant one year of LT at that point. We would also still keep our draft picks, while adding talent.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Philly deal

I like this deal from our standpoint -- my only concerns are that Speights' work ethic is supposedly questionable and taking on Brand's contract is definitely going to hurt our chances of ever building a solid team around Danny during his prime years. He'll be 30 or 31 by the time Brand's deal ends (and he will be 34 or 35 by that time) and we can't make a trade like this with the expectation that we're going to be able to land a marquee player using Brand's EC.

Another issue is that Holiday looked extremely good for the last month and a half of the season, among the leaders for rookies in assists. I think he'd be extremely tough to get unless we traded Danny or Roy. And I'm not sure he's worth either of those two.

I'd much rather stay put until the trade deadline to see what kind of offers we can get for Murphleavy. If we're not getting offers of legit second options near their primes, I say we should let them expire and see what next summer looks like.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

it doesn't make much sense for philly, i think - seems they're all set to rebuild, and giving up young players like holiday and speights isn't going to help.

let's take a rebuilding sixers scenario instead. rumor last deadline was that they were willing to package iggy to move brand. how about iggy + brand + green for murphy + ford + dunleavy? straight out cap relief for the sixers. for the pacers, essentially we use up our 2011 cap space on iguodala and brand. i think iggy's slashing and danny's shooting would make an interesting wing lineup. and like you, i think brand still has something left in the tank. unfortunately this deal doesn't address our top 2 needs (pg and athletic big), so i'm not all that excited about it. your version does, but i just think the sixers aren't willing to move those 2 players.

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here is another one guys.

PHI gets:

Troy Murphy 1 yr, 12.0M
    TJ Ford 1 yr, 8.5M
    Tyler Hansborough 3 yr, 7.2M
    Totals: For 2010/11 - 22,454,853; Total Salaries - 27,648,152

IND gets:

Elton Brand 3 yr, 51.2M
    Jrue Holiday 3 yr, 6.0M
    Mareese Speights 2 yr, 4.5M
    Willie Green 1 yr, 4.0M
    Totals: For 2010/11 - 23,336,980; Total Salaries - 65,694,610
    Yuck. Three years and $51.2 million for Brand? No thanks. I like Holiday, but I'm not ready to sit through the "Elton Brand Era."