Thread: Vinny Del Negro to be fired Tuesday

Default Vinny Del Negro to be fired Tuesday

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...19,print.story

chicagotribune.com
    Del Negro meets with Chairman Reinsdorf
    Pleads case, but firing still expected this week
    By K.C. Johnson, Tribune reporter

11:52 PM CDT, May 2, 2010

Vinny Del Negro met with Bulls Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf on Sunday, but the embattled coach's 11th-hour argument to keep his job won't change what the Tribune has reported since December 2009:

Del Negro is expected to be dismissed with one year and roughly $2 million remaining on his guaranteed three-year contract. Barring a snag, the Bulls will make this news official Tuesday.

At that point, executive vice president of basketball operations John Paxson and general manager Gar Forman will embark on a search focusing on candidates with previous NBA head-coaching experience.

Doug Collins, Lawrence Frank, Kevin McHale, Maurice Cheeks, Byron Scott and Dwane Casey are some of the many names who fit that description and could receive interviews. Management is waiting to contact prospective candidates until Del Negro officially is dismissed.

In his meeting with Reinsdorf, Del Negro pointed to Derrick Rose's growth into an All-Star player, Joakim Noah's progression and Taj Gibson's All-Rookie selection as proof of his and his staff's development of young players, sources said.

He also pointed to the Bulls leading the league in rebounding and improving defensively as evidence of him following management's targeted areas of improvement from last summer, sources said.

Finally, sources said, Del Negro detailed management's claims last summer that, with the departure of Ben Gordon and salary-cap space coming, the 2009-10 season was more the treading-water type.

Forman worked closely with Del Negro last summer, meticulously detailing management's desire for tougher defense and more teaching and accountability. Thus, management would dispute any claims of confusion of what was expected of Del Negro.

Del Negro is scheduled to meet with Forman on Monday as part of normal postseason evaluation.

In fact, Del Negro's meeting with Reinsdorf followed the pattern the Bulls began following last season, wherein Forman and Paxson conduct player exit interviews without the coach, and Del Negro meets individually with Reinsdorf, then Forman.

The stakes, however, were higher this time.

Speculation about Del Negro's job status became a national story in December, when the Bulls limped through a 1-9 stretch and shortly thereafter blew a 35-point lead at home to the lowly Kings. But team insiders detailed a deteriorating relationship between Del Negro and management even during his first season.

Management felt Del Negro strayed from the philosophy he detailed during his interview process, which culminated an eight-week coaching search.

The relationship combusted in most dramatic fashion when Paxson and Del Negro had a brief physical altercation March 30 after Del Negro for the second time exceeded a medically imposed minutes limit for Noah, who was battling plantar fasciitis.

Sources said Del Negro's imminent dismissal has nothing to do with the March 30 incident, which merely made public the deteriorating relationship between Del Negro and Paxson.

Del Negro, sources said, wanted assurances from the organization the incident wouldn't cause Bulls officials to harm his future chances at employment. And after back-to-back postseason berths, it's likely Del Negro will land another job at some point.

During a late-season interview with the Tribune, Del Negro vowed to coach again should the Bulls make a change.

"It's the only thing that gets my juices going," Del Negro said then.

Del Negro went 82-82 during the regular season and 4-8 during two trips to the postseason.

kcjohnson@tribune.com

Copyright © 2010, Chicago Tribune
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 05-03-2010 at 09:34 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Vinny Del Negro expected to be fired on Tuesday

Lucy probably would tell him to try vita-meata-vega-min. That should get his juices flowing, too.

No to Vinny Del Negro coming here. Chicago had more talent than their end record showed this year.

Really? I thought they did alright considering:

- the in-season injuries to major players.
    - the mid-season trade.
    - the overall loss of offensive firepower (Gordon, and then Salmons gone).

Yet Jim O'Brien is still our coach and has yet to once make the playoffs or a winning record.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yet Jim O'Brien is still our coach and has yet to once make the playoffs or a winning record.
    Do we have Derrick Rose?

I don't think he deserves to be fire. If you read the article, seems more like some significant disagreements between coach and managementgt
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 05-03-2010 at 11:44 AM.

I think this is pretty harsh. That team took the Celtics to 7 last year and put up a good fight against a superior Cavs team. I thought it was impressive how they came out with so much effort in game 5 despite the series being over for all practical purposes. It would've been easy to fold after that game 4 beat down, but they didn't. I think at least some of that should be attributed to the coach. I think they should give him another shot next year with a revamped roster.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 05-03-2010 at 11:39 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I think that it's a combination of things.

If you look at Del Negro, he's probably not going to lead a team to a championship, unless that team is completely loaded with talent. He's a solid coach, not a great one. Given that you now have two young championship level pieces in Rose and Noah, and the potential to sign a major, major free agent, it's a fairly savvy move to get rid of Del Negro, and use that as a selling point that, say, Lebron gets to pick his coach.

I think the other aspect of this is that if you are a top 5 coach, and you're not getting along with management, management will suck it up and let you do your thing because it's good for the team. If you're an average to maybe slightly above average coach and you get into a fight with your boss, you've pretty much written your own pink slip.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Do we have Derrick Rose?

I don't think he deserves to be fire. If you read the article, seems more like some significant disagreements between coach and managementgt
    I'd hope we have serious disagreements between coaching and management too. That we don't has me concerned about our whole basketball direction and future.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Thank god Vinny Del Negro was fired. Of course, this means at least 10 more wins for the Rose-Noah crew next year. If they manage to add an all-star, we're looking at a 60 win team.

I heard on the Radio that Paxson wanted D'Antio and he chose NY cuz they blew him out of the water with the pay, and Chicago's ownership didn't want to pony up. Then they wanted Doug Collins, but the Reinsdorf is really good friends with Collins and didn't want to maybe have to fire him in the future for a second time, so that didn't work. So they kind of settle on Del Negro, knowing he wasn't really a guy they wanted. So none of this is surprising, really, if thats all true.

I do think was in way over his head at the beginning, but he really seemed to do a good job under the circumstances this year. They let Ben Gordon walk after he was their go to guy last year in the playoffs, then they traded Salmons who went on to be a nice piece for Milwaukee (I'm not a fan of his, but still).

Who knows how good of a coach he is, really. I don't think he's irreplaceable by any means, nor do I think he was horrible either. Likely, he's in that middle pack that consists of 90% of the coaches, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Thank god Vinny Del Negro was fired. Of course, this means at least 10 more wins for the Rose-Noah crew next year. If they manage to add an all-star, we're looking at a 60 win team.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I don't get it. Which part is absurd? Me predicting a 50-win Bull team as constructed or a 60-win team with an additional all-star?

I was having some fun and being too harsh, but no, I don't have the same faith in that roster as you do.

This is assuming LeBron or Wade stays out of Chicago. Bosh isn't pushing them to 60 wins.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bosh makes them a 50-win team. Wade makes them a 60-win team.

Sans both, they are no different next year than this year.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    I think this is pretty harsh. That team took the Celtics to 7 last year and put up a good fight against a superior Cavs team. I thought it was impressive how they came out with so much effort in game 5 despite the series being over for all practical purposes. It would've been easy to fold after that game 4 beat down, but they didn't. I think at least some of that should be attributed to the coach. I think they should give him another shot next year with a revamped roster.
    Yeah, this seems kind of unfair. Hire the guy and shove your ****ty roster in his face for a few years, then can him once there's an actual opportunity for a significant talent upgrade. That'd be like the Celts canning Rivers once they brought in Allen and Garnett. Give the dude a chance!
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

Frankly barring a huge talent influx in miami, It makes too much sense for Wade NOT to go to Chicago. They are a solid young club with a gaping hole at SG just waiting for him.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Rose and Wade as your starting backcourt. . . man.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Wade and a coach who knows what he's doing is a bit scary. For the Bucks, I mean, doesn't much matter to the Pacers who's kicking our ***.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

So who plays without the ball? Wade, or Rose?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Frankly barring a huge talent influx in miami, It makes too much sense for Wade NOT to go to Chicago. They are a solid young club with a gaping hole at SG just waiting for him.

Not to mention it's the city he grew up. He rooted for Jordan and the Bulls as a kid. I would think it would be pretty cool to restore the glory of the team you grew up rooting for. That team would be such a monster if he went there. How cool would it be to have 2 Chicago kids starting in the Bulls backcourt?

If I were a betting man though I would pick Bosh teaming up with Wade in South Beach as the most likely scenario. I know Wade has hinted that he is loyal to Miami, but I just can't see how he stays there if they don't make any significant improvements this off season.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    So who plays without the ball? Wade, or Rose?
    I think that's way overblown. Besides, Wade plays without the ball very well. There's a good reason why he was moved from PG to SG after his rookie year.
    Last edited by Kstat; 05-03-2010 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I think that's way overblown. Besides, Wade plays without the ball very well. There's a good reason why he was moved from PG to SG after his rookie year.
    Ehhh...would he be happy without the ball? I see potential alpha-dog issues with Wade/Rose in the backcourt. Obviously if you can get Wade, you do it, but I'm not sure that someone like Joe Johnson isn't a better fit. Johnson or Bosh paired with Noah/Rose and a competent coach would have Chicago as a 50-55 win team.

They Moved him away from PG his rookie year. I keep on repeating this fact but nobody wants to hear it for some reason.

Yeah, Bosh would make them a 50 win team, but Wade makes them a championship contender.

And how the hell is Joe Johnson, a much bigger ball-hog than wade, a better fit?

I must have missed the meeting where it was decided that a superstar SG and an all-star PG couldn't co-exist.

Put it this way: if Rose's ego is so big that he won't accept Dwayne freaking Wade on his team, then they should trade Rose regardless because they will have no shot at a championship with him.
    Last edited by Kstat; 05-03-2010 at 08:48 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Oh, and Del Negro is canned as of right now so we can change the thread title.

Wait, you don't see Rose as a superstar PG? No wonder your prognostication is low. I think he's going to be on Wade's level soon enough. You can definitely win a championship with Derrick Rose as your best player.