View Poll Results: Who will have better Nba career?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tyler Hansbrough

45 72.58%
  • Josh McRoberts

17 27.42%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will have better NBA career?Tyler Hansbrough Vs Josh McRoberts

Thumbs down Who will have better NBA career?Tyler Hansbrough Vs Josh McRoberts

I vote for McRoberts, and you?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamiyohk For This Useful Post:

Mood

Default Re: Who will have better NBA career?Tyler Hansbrough Vs Josh McRoberts

Assuming both are healthy, I'll still go with Tyler.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

hansbrough will be back next season...i hope

McRoberts: younger,athlete,team player,good passer,better defence
    Hansbrough: experience,warrior , better offence skill, leadership,scorer

Really want to know who will be better in the future..
    Last edited by Kamiyohk; 04-23-2010 at 05:42 PM.

Wait, what experience does tyler have?

Gonna vote against the guy without a legit NBA scoring move every time.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

What move would that be? Back-door alley oops?

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Magic 8 Ball says "Ask Again Later".

The Magic 8 Ball wants to know whether Tyler will actually play again, and if so, who will be the coaches of both players, respectively during the remainder of their careers.

I cannot blame the Magic 8 Ball for this position, either.

For me, assuming good health for both, with the current coaching staff and their currently expressed expectations for both players on an individual basis and how they want them to play (Hansbrough as an slightly undersized yet extremely aggressive 4, and McRoberts as a quicker version of Troy Murphy who can jump, pass, and drive occasionally), I would have to say Hansbrough hands down, because Josh won't be able to master the 3 point shooting enough to get consistent minutes as long as the team has enough other players who are available to shoot 3's more consistently. Hansbrough gets his three point opportunities by converting relatively ugly and-1's, so he doesn't have to worry about being stationed in a position offensively where he can carry on a conversation with the celebrities in attendance at games, or those lucky few with comped tickets, and never will have to worry about that as Josh apparently will.

Given a different opportunity with another coach with different, more traditional, philosophies, the two would be close in potential IMO, and complementary players on the interior, especially in the instance of going big with Roy on the floor at the same time. That could prove to be a powerful combination for a coach who values using the interior as a basis for the offense at times.

Not NBA experience...but he is one of the best player in the colloge.
    McRobers did not learning well from his colloge game

McRoberts is not a quicker version of Murphy. He plays nothing like Murphy in fact. I have yet to see Murphy sky in from the rafters for a dunk, nor have I seen McRoberts hit many threes, nor have I seen many blocks by Murphy. They are pretty much opposites.

Hans is more talented than McRoberts and assuming he gets healthy I am going with Hans. I like both of them...

Tylet is already 25 as well, 25 years old rookie next year,ha
    McRberts is 23?
    Last edited by Kamiyohk; 04-23-2010 at 06:15 PM.

Due to Tyler's injury situation, I just about voted for McBob. Also, there are things about Josh's game that are better. I just see a significantly more skilled player in Tyler. These are basketball gifts that Josh does not have and will not have at any age.

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    McRoberts is not a quicker version of Murphy. He plays nothing like Murphy in fact. I have yet to see Murphy sky in from the rafters for a dunk, nor have I seen McRoberts hit many threes, nor have I seen many blocks by Murphy. They are pretty much opposites.

Hans is more talented than McRoberts and assuming he gets healthy I am going with Hans. I like both of them...
    That is what is so frustrating. Just from reading the commentary by O'B regarding McRoberts, they are going to try to make him into a Murphy-like player, especially with respect to the three.

I totally agree with you, though, they are very different as players due to Josh's athleticism and quickness, as well as his ability to read and react on both ends of the court. They are doing a big disservice to Josh by trying to develop his three point shooting as a focus of his development as opposed to honing the somewhat special skillset and physical attributes that he already possesses.

Hansbrough is likely great at what he does, and it will be interesting to see what he can accomplish at the NBA level with two legs and good balance in a non-spinning world. He will likely be a disruptive force on defense due to his physicality, a good rebounder due to his instincts, and a scorer because of getting to the line a lot.

If the Pacers can keep both and have them healthy long term with proper coaching, it will help the future of the franchise significantly.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    That is what is so frustrating. Just from reading the commentary by O'B regarding McRoberts, they are going to try to make him into a Murphy-like player, especially with respect to the three.

I totally agree with you, though, they are very different as players due to Josh's athleticism and quickness, as well as his ability to read and react on both ends of the court. They are doing a big disservice to Josh by trying to develop his three point shooting as a focus of his development as opposed to honing the somewhat special skillset and physical attributes that he already possesses.

Hansbrough is likely great at what he does, and it will be interesting to see what he can accomplish at the NBA level with two legs and good balance in a non-spinning world. He will likely be a disruptive force on defense due to his physicality, a good rebounder due to his instincts, and a scorer because of getting to the line a lot.

If the Pacers can keep both and have them healthy long term with proper coaching, it will help the future of the franchise significantly.
    Agreed. It's a tired game slamming JOb anymore, but why not one more? It is insane to use Josh and Dahntay Jones the way they were used last year. I would be interested to see a really good post justifying that just to find some logic to it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Offense, defense and rebounding all favor The Legend.

Give me Tyler. The only way I take McRoberts is if Hansbrough's injury is career-threatening.

I'm undecided but I'm leaning towards McRoberts. Everyone talks about whether or not Tyler will be healthy next year but that doesn't tell the whole story. I don't doubt that he will be healthy and able to play, but he'll have to be careful not to get another concussion. For someone who plays with his kind of intensity, he would have to seriously alter his game.

I had to pick McRoberts because Tyler's injury situation is 'odd' and has all the feel of a potential short career.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I had to pick McRoberts because Tyler's injury situation is 'odd' and has all the feel of a potential short career.
    This is a very good (and concerning) point. However, I remain hopeful though and will stick with Tyler for now. For now, I am just going to take that leap of faith that Tyler's health issues are going to be behind him. If I'm wrong about that, I am wrong about everything else.

Assuming he is healthy, I don't think Josh is at the same level in terms of skills. I think they can both be somewhat effective on defense. Edge to McBob. I think offensively, Tyler can be significantly better. That definitely has not been proven. I just see a higher level of skill...a much better shooting stroke...even if he did not have it going last year. I believe they can both grab boards. But the big factor is, Tyler has the potential to get the opposition in big time foul trouble...and get them frustrated as well. I don't see that in McBob's toolbox. That aggression wins games IMO...and it's the type of game I enjoy watching. This will sound odd, but I also like watching Lindsay Hunter defend. It's the effort level I enjoy watching more than skill.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

People talk about offense, but ever heard of points per shot? Tyler is woefully ineffiecent. Can he adjust? Maybe... but it may come at the expense of his ability to get to the line. His terrible percentages are a direct result of the way he plays, bullrushing his way to the basket trying to get to the line. He's not a good finisher and he gets blocked, and that is mostly a physical limitation, I just don't see it changing.

What happens when defenses adjust? What will the book be on tyler? I think you avoid the foul and let him take the low percentage shot. He's just not a finisher.

If he learns to pick his spots better to improve his percentages, He gets to the line less... which is his big selling point. Offensively I think he is a good midrange jump shooter who hustles. He is still going to look good in transition, but he can be a bit of a black hole. I think his offensive contributions are somewhat overrated.

I think he is better defensively than advertised, however, his strength is a big advantage, and he is quicker laterally than I had originally thought. I like him as a bench-role player hustle guy... but not much more.

However, Josh looks like that guy already, with much more potential to improve IMO. He's much more capable of being a cog in the offense, because his passing is something people sometimes forget when rating his offensive contributions. I think Tyler is a bit like D. Jones, in that he is an offensive stopper who doesn't pass particulary well... and his shooting percentages don't justify it at all.

This is of course considering he comes back at all with no long term effects lingering. I don't dislike Tyler as a player, but I think he has limitations that put a cap on his ceiling in the NBA. The younger Mcroberts has infinitely more upside, and has already shown the ability to improve.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 04-24-2010 at 12:47 PM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

I think McBob has more potential, but right now Tyler's a better player.

I know this seems like a cop out, but it really depends on their development and how close McBob gets to fufilling his potential.

My guess though, by the end of their careers, (assuming Tyler stays healthy) Tyler will be the better player.

Sports Logo

This maybe premature, but do you think that the Pacers should workout an extension before he becomes a FA in the 2011-2012 offseason? IMHO, if we are able to extend him with a contract that started out at $1mil and topped out at $2mil a season over 2-3 seasons, I'd consider it. He can basically fill the roll as a 4th-5th Big Man playing about 10-15 mpg.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post

I'll be perfectly happy with Tyler camping in the paint and getting his points off offensive rebound putbacks.
    and 1.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post

Now that they've explained that he had a concussion AND the vertigo it's not hard to see why he had "mysterious" symptoms. And everyone involved says he's getting better all the time. Just slowly. As it is with everyone that goes through the inner ear problems.
    We're all just paranoid because of Bender.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    People talk about offense, but ever heard of points per shot? Tyler is woefully ineffiecent. Can he adjust? Maybe... but it may come at the expense of his ability to get to the line. His terrible percentages are a direct result of the way he plays, bullrushing his way to the basket trying to get to the line. He's not a good finisher and he gets blocked, and that is mostly a physical limitation, I just don't see it changing.

What happens when defenses adjust? What will the book be on tyler? I think you avoid the foul and let him take the low percentage shot. He's just not a finisher.

If he learns to pick his spots better to improve his percentages, He gets to the line less... which is his big selling point. Offensively I think he is a good midrange jump shooter who hustles. He is still going to look good in transition, but he can be a bit of a black hole. I think his offensive contributions are somewhat overrated.

I think he is better defensively than advertised, however, his strength is a big advantage, and he is quicker laterally than I had originally thought. I like him as a bench-role player hustle guy... but not much more.

However, Josh looks like that guy already, with much more potential to improve IMO. He's much more capable of being a cog in the offense, because his passing is something people sometimes forget when rating his offensive contributions. I think Tyler is a bit like D. Jones, in that he is an offensive stopper who doesn't pass particulary well... and his shooting percentages don't justify it at all.

This is of course considering he comes back at all with no long term effects lingering. I don't dislike Tyler as a player, but I think he has limitations that put a cap on his ceiling in the NBA. The younger Mcroberts has infinitely more upside, and has already shown the ability to improve.
    He was injured from his senior year that did not heal. (shin?)
    He lost his offseason of conditioning and working on his game.
    Do you have ANY doubt as to whether he is a hard worker?
    Do you have any doubts as to his intelligence or competetiveness??
    He WILL figure out how to be efficient in this league.
    We don't need him to be a post up threat, that's Roy's job. Tyler will keep the other team from beating Roy up and will clean up underneath when they double Roy (it's coming) and leave him alone, or on the far side ofthe rim when Roy misses. Lots of +1. Free throws in general. Will do VERY nice things to our interior defense. No more Charmain Pacers. ')
    Assuming he gets 100% healthy, his limitations are less than most players in the NBA (that all have their own particular limitations)
    He will be Roy Hibberts best buddy in the whole world (on the floor)

I like Josh a lot too. I can see him 15 years from now, one of those grizzled old vets still sticking the mid range jumper and crashing the boards.
    Last edited by MLB007; 04-24-2010 at 05:48 PM.

Considering we have very little additional data at this point in time versus the last time this poll was taken, I can't see how the result should be drastically different barring injury. Essentially its the same people having the same concerns about Tyler's vertical and the same people utterly confused by the McBob mystique.

Banned

Tyler had the better per 36 numbers this year and came right into the NBA with no camp after spending 3+ months in a boot and had to get into shape on the job, In 10 years Tyler will be the clear cut run away winner of this head to head debate and it will not even be close.