Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESPN's Bill Simmons ranks NBA playoff players. JO is dead last

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: ESPN's Bills Simmons ranks NBA playoff players. JO is dead last

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The NBA is definitely by far his favorite sport. You can tell that he watches a TON of NBA basketball. His columns are always well worth the read because they mix in solid analysis with good humor.
    Yep.

There are only 2 reporters that I think pay more attention to games than Simmons - Russillo (the dude will watch EVERY game on a WED night, including things like Nets vs Pacers) and Hollinger.

Everyone things Hollinger is just stats, but he watches tons of ball because he's trying to find stats that match what he sees. He constantly tries to modify his methods when things don't line up.

In contrast, Stein and Ford (among others) come across as guys that casually catch the game of the night and go weeks between viewings of any teams not featuring Lebron, Kobe, Howard or KG. Often their stuff sounds like stuff you heard from another reporter 2 days prior, like they are compiling the opinions of other people rather than creating their own (cough, Kravitz via Wells anyone cough)

Back to JO though, as much as TJ Ford has been a dud, the Pacers still have to look at that deal as a home run. It got you Hibbert and cut that JO salary in half. It's sad to see JO fall apart so hard so quickly, but it's one of the few breaks the Pacers have caught in recent years.

B-Easy - might not live up to his draft spot, but the ONLY thing holding him back is motivation. Two years ago he was clearly better than Griffin. Griffin kept working while Beasley got soft on his NBA paycheck, and he blew past him. But the point is that he WAS ahead at one point, he's got that kind of talent.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Yep.

There are only 2 reporters that I think pay more attention to games than Simmons - Russillo (the dude will watch EVERY game on a WED night, including things like Nets vs Pacers) and Hollinger.

Everyone things Hollinger is just stats, but he watches tons of ball because he's trying to find stats that match what he sees. He constantly tries to modify his methods when things don't line up.

B-Easy - might not live up to his draft spot, but the ONLY thing holding him back is motivation. Two years ago he was clearly better than Griffin. Griffin kept working while Beasley got soft on his NBA paycheck, and he blew past him. But the point is that he WAS ahead at one point, he's got that kind of talent.
    I generally agree with you, but then Hollinger will bust out something like "Rush is an average defender," and it really makes me wonder if he's really watched Rush or just doesn't want there to be a justifiable reason for Rush's minutes and decent +/- in spite of his historically low PER.

As for Beasley, I've got a gut feeling that the big move of the offseason will be a sign & trade where Bosh winds up in Miami and Beasley heads to Toronto.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

Back to JO though, as much as TJ Ford has been a dud, the Pacers still have to look at that deal as a home run. It got you Hibbert and cut that JO salary in half. It's sad to see JO fall apart so hard so quickly, but it's one of the few breaks the Pacers have caught in recent years.

Oh yeah. We hit the jackpot that deal getting Roy for JO. We got rid of JO right when he was falling apart, shred salary, and got the center of the next 12-15 years. That is by far Bird's sweetest move.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    Oh yeah. We hit the jackpot that deal getting Roy for JO. We got rid of JO right when he was falling apart, shred salary, and got the center of the next 12-15 years. That is by far Bird's sweetest move.
    Of course, you could argue that the best time to trade him would have been a year earlier.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Default Re: ESPN's Bill Simmons ranks NBA playoff players. JO is dead last

Simmons is a great writer, and one of the most knowledgeable minds when it comes to basketball, but his Boston bias is often too much to handle. That being said I still read him constantly. He really nailed the whole LeBron is better than Kobe thing a good 2 years ago and he was very astute in pointing out the overrating of Nash.

JO did have a bad series, but he missed a lot of good shots. Hubie diagnosed his troubles pretty accurately in the commentary. He was getting good touches and making smart decisions but he just had a bad series. He plays hard D and can knock down a jumper. There's nothing proving to me that he can't be like RJ is to the Spurs for a contender.

Edit: ^^That is, unless your a Pacers fan that hates JO now.
    Last edited by quinnthology; 05-04-2010 at 07:27 AM.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    JO's salary was 7 million higher than D. Wade this season.
    That's nuts.

Well, i guess I can live with TJ, with that perspective.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

JO is in line to take the biggest pay cut in NBA history this offseason. From a max contract to ?? I don't think that he is worth the mid-level exception. Somewhere between the veteran's minimum and 3-4 million per is where he may end up, IMO.

Having Jermaine on your team is like what everyone says about owning a boat. You are very happy the day that you get it, but nothing beats the joy of the day that it becomes someone else's problem.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 05-04-2010 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by quinnthology View Post

JO did have a bad series, but he missed a lot of good shots. Hubie diagnosed his troubles pretty accurately in the commentary. He was getting good touches and making smart decisions but he just had a bad series. He plays hard D and can knock down a jumper. There's nothing proving to me that he can't be like RJ is to the Spurs for a contender.

Edit: ^^That is, unless your a Pacers fan that hates JO now.
    Hubie probably didn't diagnose it correctly. JO's problem is between the ears. It doesn't matter how good the shots are. He's not a gamer. He chokes when it counts.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

12. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

JO IMO has nothing left. I would not recommend to any team to even offer him a 1 year contract at the vets min. He is done, he should retire.

I still remember at one of the forum parties in the summer of '06 suggesting that I feared JO was physically losing his abilities to play and suggested a trade of JO for Joe Johnson, think I also said maybe get Pachulia -

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    JO IMO has nothing left. I would not recommend to any team to even offer him a 1 year contract at the vets min. He is done, he should retire.

I still remember at one of the forum parties in the summer of '06 suggesting that I feared JO was physically losing his abilities to play and suggested a trade of JO for Joe Johnson, think I also said maybe get Pachulia -
    That would have been sweet.

Part of it is it's the same problem he's always had. His skills aren't what his mind thinks they are anymore. I'm not even sure he's a 15 minute a night back up anymore. It appears in the Miami series he was actually a detriment to the team. I'd take a young active guy every time over JO at this point. I really think, he should just retire. The wheels are gone, imo. I thought that last year too though.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    That would have been sweet.
    Sure now it seems sweet. At the time I think half the people in the room, probably thought, yeah that is decent trade for the pacers. The other half thought I has a screw loose, a few people pretty much said that

JO is totally dominating that end of the ranking

yeah that's an easy one

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BKK For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I wasn't around here then, but if I was, I'd have agreed with you. I wanted him gone the year after Reggie retired, which, coincidentally, was the 2005-2006 season.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

I could have written that 5 solid years ago. It was a blessing to get a Rasho loaner, Hibbert and the salary dump.

For those who hate TJ...would you take JO back and give away Hibbert to get rid of TJ? I don't think so. As a result, I'm perfectly fine with them paying 6 or 7M for a cheerleader.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    For those who hate TJ...would you take JO back and give away Hibbert to get rid of TJ? I don't think so. As a result, I'm perfectly fine with them paying 6 or 7M for a cheerleader.
    We could have given TJ away immediately, but we held onto him. That was a mistake.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!