Thread: Draft day trades?

Default Draft day trades?

Since it's likely we end up with pick #10 (hurry up May 18th!). I was curious what previous draft day trades netted in value.

I can personally count on one hand the number of guys I would actually have interest in at #10, that I expect to be there at #10. So I fully expect us to trade the pick. Not sure why, I just have that feeling. Whether it be to move up or down in the draft, or whether it be to package with an expiring for some proven talent, I just see it happening.

Given the possibility I've tried to look and find previous draft day deals to see what value a lottery pick can have.

2004: Washington trades Jerry Stackhouse, Christian Laettner, and the rights to pick #5 (Devin Harris) to Dallas for Antawn Jamison

Phoenix trades pick #7 (Loul Deng) to Chicago for future 1st round pick. (2005 #21 Nate Robinson)

2006: Portland trade Theo Ratliff, Sebastian Telfair and future 2nd round pick to Boston for pick #7 (Randy Foye), Raef LaFrentz and Dan Dickau

Portland trades pick #7 and cash (Randy Foye) to Minnesota for pick #6 (Brandon Roy)

Chicago sends pick #2 Lamarcus Aldridge and future pick to Portland for pick #4 (Tyrus Thomas) and Viktor Khryapa

Houston trades pick #8 (Rudy Gay) to Memphis for Shane Battier

Philadelphia trades #13 (Thabo Sefalosha) to Chicago for pick #16 (Rodney Carney) and future pick

2007: Boston gets Ray Allen and the rights to pick #35 (Glen Davis). Seattle (OKC) gets Delonte West, Wally Szcaerbiak, pick #5 (Jeff Green) and future 2nd rounder

Charlotte gets Jason Richardson and pick #36 (Jermareo Davis). Golden St. gets #8 pick (Brandan Wright)

2008: Indiana get Tj Ford, Rasho Nesterovic, PTBD (Maceo Baston) pick #17 (Roy Hibbert). Toronto get Jermaine O'neal and pick #41 (Nathan Jawai)

Minnesota gets pick #5 (Kevin Love), Mike Miller, Brian Cardinal, Jason Collins. Memphis gets pick #3 (OJ Mayo) Antoine Walker, Marko Jaric, Greg Buckner

Portland gets #11 pick (Jerryd Bayless), Ike Diogu. Pacers get pick #13 (Brandon Rush) Jarrett Jack and Josh McRoberts

Not sure if anyone else has some to add in recent history.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Draft day trades?

That is a pretty good synopsis. I think any pick in that range carries some value but certainly not as much as the NFL.

You have two opportunities for trades IMO.

One is to find a team that is interested in divesting itself of a big contract for an aging veteran while looking to get a potential talent in return. Usually the best bets for this are mid level playoff teams not real close to winning a championship with an owner getting tired of paying the luxury tax for a couple of home playoff games.

The other opportunity is for a trade up or down a few spots with either a lousy team looking for something other than the BPA at their spot or a decent team looking to package something to get at a player they happen to like at your spot.

Bird has stated he is looking at adding veteran help at this point so I think the first option is the one he will try and target.

Personally I like Derrick Favors enough to make a pretty attractive offer to move up to #3 to get him (or either of the other 2 if Favors goes higher than 3). Minnesota or Sacramento may be willing to trade out of 3 if Granger were involved but that would go against what Bird has said.

Again, its hard to measure how devestating the wins at the end of the season were to this franchise if they don't get very lucky on the 18th. The top 3 guys in this draft are potentially franchise players IMO. I know its not a guarantee to get a top 3 pick but at one time we were 4th in line instead of 10th.

The most realistic option is that a deal will be constructed with a team looking at sheddinga contract and getting younger. Dallas in teh Devin Harris trade or Golden St with Richardson are the best examples of these. The Pacers with Antonio Davis is another.

The problem there is that you are assuming a big financial committment that Mr. Simon will have to pay. What makes that even trickier is the looming lockout and potentially drastic change in player contracts after 2011. Do you really want to owe Andre Igudola $45mm after 2011 ?? And you have to sacrifice a pick in teh process............probably not.

Okafor and Kevin Martin will be very available as well but probbaly not worthy of a package of Murphy adn teh #10 when considering how much they are still owed.

Maybe we can take on a contract like Maggette and move up to 5 if GS were to fall back that far but this draft gets pretty weak after 4 so Im not sure how much that would help.

Are there any teams right now that might want to make a Pheonix style trade to save cash?

I also feel like something fairly big is going to go down. Bird has every reason to go all in. He's been paying the price for setting up this year for a while now, no way he leaves without cashing in his chips.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to judicata For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are there any teams right now that might want to make a Pheonix style trade to save cash?
    I can't think of many. Perhaps Utah. Depending on how much Boozer saves them. The Hornets maybe? Depending on ownership and how the cap turns out.

Those are teams you could likely look at in trades, though I doubt either will seeing that Utah traded Ronnie Brewer, and last year's first Eric Maynor for cap space. And I believe the Hornets traded Devin Brown for the same reasons.

I know teams with multiple picks usually look to trade one them. Take Minnesota. They have 3 first round picks. A lottery pick and then #16 and #23. Also 2nd rounders in #45 and #56.

Last year the TWolves had 3 first round picks as well #5, #6 and #18. They took 3 PGs and the traded the 3rd (#18 Ty Lawson) to Denver

Speaking of you can add the Randy Foye and Mike Miller deal for #5 last year to the list

Memphis has 3 1st round picks. A lottery, #25, #28. No 2nd rounders though

OKC has 2 picks in the 1st and an early 2nd. #21, #26 and #32, plus #51

Miami has a first and 3 2nd rounders

I'm sure they'll be many deals to be had. It's just a matter if Bird finds a deal he thinks makes us better and if teams are interested in any of our players?

I also think you have to look at what the Pacers will be looking for. My guess is PG is the top priority, not sure which ones will be available at what price?

Also if you believe the Murphy trade rumors the Pacers wanted another young PF in return. Does McRoberts late play change that? Does the health of Hansbrough change that?

You also look at the Charlotte deal. It's no secret we want to unload Ford, but is Rush on the block as well, or just a sweetener? In that trade the Pacers were rumored to get back.... a PG and another SG.

I think this big free agent class may actually benefit the Pacers whether players stay or go b/c teams are going to miss out on players and need to fill their rosters. Or are going to want to keep pace and add a piece to try to get to the next step or get over the hump, which a one year rental isn't a bad idea.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NappyRootz View Post
    The problem there is that you are assuming a big financial committment that Mr. Simon will have to pay. What makes that even trickier is the looming lockout and potentially drastic change in player contracts after 2011. Do you really want to owe Andre Igudola $45mm after 2011 ?? And you have to sacrifice a pick in teh process............probably not.

Okafor and Kevin Martin will be very available as well but probbaly not worthy of a package of Murphy adn teh #10 when considering how much they are still owed.

Maybe we can take on a contract like Maggette and move up to 5 if GS were to fall back that far but this draft gets pretty weak after 4 so Im not sure how much that would help.
    Would I trade an Expiring Contract + #10 for Iggy, Kevin Martin or Monta + their 2nd round pick? Yes, I would.

Would I trade an Expiring Contract + #10 for Okafor or Maggette+5? Not in a million years.

The way I look at it is that if we were to try to sign a huge FA in the 2011-2012 Offseason....getting a Player like Iggy, KMart or Monta ( basically another Granger-level "Robin" type player ) through a trade would be the same thing.

Regardless of the lockout.....the contracts for Iggy, KMart or Monta are comprable to what the Pacers gave Granger...which IMHO is a decent price. I am pretty sure that one of Big4 Expiring Contracts will be used to try to acquire some type of asset. I have no problem with acquiring long-term contracts....as long as the contracts aren't considered overpaid.
    Last edited by CableKC; 05-03-2010 at 11:02 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    I also feel like something fairly big is going to go down. Bird has every reason to go all in. He's been paying the price for setting up this year for a while now, no way he leaves without cashing in his chips.
    I'm totally fine with this. i say we can even trade next years pick, because the draft will be absolutely awful.
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

Banned

I been saying this for weeks now but I think the Pacers are getting Aldrich and would trade him to another team in needs of a center.

I think Iggy would be a great addition. He's athletic, can defend. rebounds and has nice assist numbers. Can obviously play the uptempo game.

I'm sure J'Ob would bench him b/c he can't spread the floor or shoot the three.

I think Philly will either hold onto him or try to use him multiple ways in a trade... non in which the Pacers have a chance. They'll either use him to try an acquire a star player in a sign&trade, or they'll use him in order to try an unload another contract like Brand or Dalembert.

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    I'm sure J'Ob would bench him b/c he can't spread the floor or shoot the three.
    Under JOB in his rookie season, a 20 year old Iggy played nearly 33 mpg and was named to the all-rookie 1st team. So being a rookie and not being able to shoot the 3 didn't prevent him from getting minutes

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NappyRootz View Post
    Okafor and Kevin Martin will be very available as well but probbaly not worthy of a package of Murphy and the #10 when considering how much they are still owed.
    Why would Houston give up Martin after being so aggressive in getting him? I'd love him here, but I think Houston keeps him off the table.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Under JOB in his rookie season, a 20 year old Iggy played nearly 33 mpg and was named to the all-rookie 1st team. So being a rookie and not being able to shoot the 3 didn't prevent him from getting minutes
    What?! Don't insert logic into the discussion--J'Ob has become a punchline around here, nothing more. Don't take that away from us!

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Why would Houston give up Martin after being so aggressive in getting him? I'd love him here, but I think Houston keeps him off the table.
    I agree, though the Rockets didn't give up much to get him. McGrady... who was long gone anyways, and Carl Landry who's a solid player, but didn't play too well for the Kings.

They got another young PF in the deal in Jordan Hill, Plus the right to swap picks with the Knicks in 2011, Plus the 2012 pick of the Knicks. Which means if the Knicks don't land big talent this summer like they've planned, they're screwed.

This is why I hope Bird doesn't follow the Knicks/Donnie Walsh approach, and just let our expiring contracts... expire. One or two is fine to have cap space and flexibility, but we can't just hold onto everyone in hopes landing big time FAs b/c it's not likely to happen.

You're more likely to overpay for a 2nd or 3rd tier talent as a backup plan/panic move.

It would not surprise me that instead of the Knicks getting Lebron, Wade, Bosh or Amare. They overpay for a Boozer, Rudy Gay, or Joe Johnson.

Don't get me wrong. They will still likely be a better team, but not nearly the splash they expected to make.

The Pacers need to use at least 2 expiring contracts this summer or at the deadline in trades, and not try to hope to sign a star in 2011 free agency

[QUOTE=pwee31;991689]

Carl Landry who's a solid player, but didn't play too well for the Kings./QUOTE]

WHAT!?!?!?

Landry played quite well for the Kings. They were quite pleased with his play!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

I don't see the Pacers doing any draft day trades other than possibly trading down in the draft.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    I agree with this although it has been said they expirings (Murph/Foster/Duns, etc) are said to be more valuable right at the trade deadline as teams look to aquire talent to make a run in/at the playoffs
    Sittin on top of the world!

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Buck, Buck, Buhler Buhler?

Sittin on top of the world!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    I agree with this although it has been said they expirings (Murph/Foster/Duns, etc) are said to be more valuable right at the trade deadline as teams look to aquire talent to make a run in/at the playoffs
    That's my thinking, too. That's why I really don't want any trades to be done this summer if at all possible. I think we could get better deals in February from teams who are more desperate to win.

I think if they do a deal, it will be to get a 2nd 1st pick in the early 20's, so they can draft.....Gordon Hayward!

[QUOTE=Justin Tyme;991799]
    Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post

Carl Landry who's a solid player, but didn't play too well for the Kings./QUOTE]

WHAT!?!?!?

Landry played quite well for the Kings. They were quite pleased with his play!
    You are exactly right. To be honest I watch a couple games and he didn't play too well, so i made the assumption w/o the research. My mistake. He did play well.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Unless there is a specific person in mind that we are going for in the draft and are in reach of it, I am in the boat of holding on to those expirings until the trading deadline and see what we can get. Unless there is a trade offer that we just can't pass up on.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I still think they need to trade of them this summer. Teams aren't going to be lining up for expirings like they did this year IMO. I think you guys are overrating their value based on their value from this year. I think we will only trade one of them at the deadline regardless of what we do this summer. We have five tradable expiring contracts. We won't be able to get rid of three of them at the deadline and max out their value. That just isn't a sound theory. Especially if Murphy, Dunleavy and Foster are all hurt and Ford is still riding the pine. They will not have much value at that point because their basketball value is nothing, which is what contenders look for. Plus, most of the teams who are in contention will have a lot more flexibility to take on Ford or Murphy this summer. I think we should hold on to Dunleavy and Foster so they can legitimize their basketball value. Ford probably won't help our team out in any regard so might as well trade him this summer when teams can adjust to his salary easier. Murphy played great and was in a lot of trade rumors last year so I think a team would be willing to take him this summer. Maybe I am just hoping he is traded this summer for his sake and for ours. Plus, if he gets hurt we are screwed with trying to get rid of him when we can't rely on Foster or Dunleavy to be healthy at next year's deadline. I think our team needs to adjust this summer so they aren't left out to dry with so many expiring contracts. I wouldn't want to trade more than two of them this summer though I do agree. In summary, I think of all our expirings, Foster and Dunleavy can increase their value the most by holding on to them for the February deadline.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    I still think they need to trade of them this summer. Teams aren't going to be lining up for expirings like they did this year IMO. I think you guys are overrating their value based on their value from this year. I think we will only trade one of them at the deadline regardless of what we do this summer. We have five tradable expiring contracts. We won't be able to get rid of three of them at the deadline and max out their value. That just isn't a sound theory. Especially if Murphy, Dunleavy and Foster are all hurt and Ford is still riding the pine. They will not have much value at that point because their basketball value is nothing, which is what contenders look for. Plus, most of the teams who are in contention will have a lot more flexibility to take on Ford or Murphy this summer. I think we should hold on to Dunleavy and Foster so they can legitimize their basketball value. Ford probably won't help our team out in any regard so might as well trade him this summer when teams can adjust to his salary easier. Murphy played great and was in a lot of trade rumors last year so I think a team would be willing to take him this summer. Maybe I am just hoping he is traded this summer for his sake and for ours. Plus, if he gets hurt we are screwed with trying to get rid of him when we can't rely on Foster or Dunleavy to be healthy at next year's deadline. I think our team needs to adjust this summer so they aren't left out to dry with so many expiring contracts. I wouldn't want to trade more than two of them this summer though I do agree. In summary, I think of all our expirings, Foster and Dunleavy can increase their value the most by holding on to them for the February deadline.
    I think that teams will want our players as salary dumps for the end of the season, and not much more, and that waiting for the deadline may end up being too late to get back talent unless those players have monster long term contracts that owners don't want to pay during any potential lockouts or re-structuring of the next CBA with terms more favorable to owners than the players. But, only those in the front offices actually have any inkling of what truly might go on in the future, and I could easily be full of fertilizer.

I expect to get killed for thinking this. So here goes nothing.

anyone interested in signing t-mac for the year? We can sign him on the cheap, and he also draws hineys to the stands.

Quote Originally Posted by IUfan4life View Post
    I expect to get killed for thinking this. So here goes nothing.

anyone interested in signing t-mac for the year? We can sign him on the cheap, and he also draws hineys to the stands.
    TMAC at this point is probably looking for a contending team where he can play 15-20 mins on. Well, that's my guess for a guy who's been in the league for about 13 years now and has yet to experience the 2nd round of the playoffs.

I think he's really just physically broken down and beat up at a relatively young age much the same way Jermaine O'neal is. And at this point is he's probably got all the drawing power of Jermaine as well.