Thread: What do you think about the All defensive 1st and 2nd teams

Default What do you think about the All defensive 1st and 2nd teams

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/05/05/a...s=iref:nbahpt1

Earl Watson got a second team vote. JO got a a first team vote. The first and second teams are interesting, but maybe the lisitng of every player that got a vote is more interesting.

The coaches vote for this. Media votes for defensive player

Orlando's Howard, Boston's Rondo lead All-Defensive Team
    By Official release
    Posted May 5 2010 2:24PM

Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard, winner of the 2009-10 Defensive Player of the Year Award presented by Kia Motors, and guard Rajon Rondo of the Boston Celtics headline the NBA All-Defensive First Team, the NBA announced Wednesday. By totaling 57 points overall, including 28 First Team votes, Howard edged Rondo (50 points overall and 23 First Team votes) as the leading vote-getter.

Also selected to the All-Defensive First Team are forward LeBron James of the Cleveland Cavaliers (45 points), Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant (34 points) and Charlotte Bobcats forward Gerald Wallace (30 points).

Howard became the first player to lead the league in rebounding and blocks (1973-74 was the first season blocks were kept as an official statistic) in consecutive seasons, averaging 13.2 rebounds and 2.78 blocks. He also became only the fifth player in NBA history to lead the league in rebounding for at least three consecutive seasons. With Howard anchoring the defense, the Magic allowed 95.3 points a game, which ranked fourth in the NBA, and held the opposition to a league-low .438 shooting, including 24 games in which opponents shot under .400. Orlando held the opposition to fewer than 100 points 57 times and to fewer than 90 points 24 times.

The NBA All-Defensive Second Team consists of center Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs, guards Dwyane Wade of the Miami Heat and Thabo Sefolosha of the Oklahoma City Thunder, and forwards Josh Smith of the Atlanta Hawks and Anderson Varejao of the Cleveland Cavaliers. Duncan has been selected to the NBA All-Defensive team 13 consecutive seasons.

The voting panel consisted of the NBA's 30 head coaches, who were asked to select NBA All-Defensive First and Second Teams by position. Coaches were not permitted to vote for players from their own team. Two points were awarded for a First Team vote and one point was awarded for a Second Team vote.

2009-10 NBA All-Defensive Team
    First Team

Center Dwight Howard, Orlando 28, 1, 57
    Guard Rajon Rondo, Boston 23 4 50
    Forward LeBron James, Cleveland 20 5 45
    Guard Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers 13 8 34
    Forward Gerald Wallace, Charlotte 11 8 30

Second Team

Center Tim Duncan, San Antonio 8 5 21
    Guard Dwyane Wade, Miami 8 4 20
    Forward Josh Smith, Atlanta 6 8 20
    Forward Anderson Varejao, Cleveland 2 11 15
    Guard Thabo Sefolosha, Oklahoma City 3 8 14

Other players receiving votes, with point totals (First Team votes in parentheses):
    Jason Kidd, Dallas, 12 (4); Marcus Camby, Portland, 12 (1); Ron Artest, 11 (3); Deron Williams, Utah, 10, (2); Kirk Hinrich, Chicago, 9 (1); Andrew Bogut, Milwaukee, 8; Luc Mbah a Moute, Milwaukee, 8 (1); Arron Afflalo, Denver, 6 (1); Kenyon Martin, Denver, 5 (1); Kevin Garnett, Boston, 5 (1); Grant Hill, Phoenix, 4 (2); Joakim Noah, Chicago, 4; Kendrick Perkins, Boston, 4 (1); Shane Battier, Houston, 4 (1); Andrei Kirilenko, Utah, 3 (1); Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City, 3; Trevor Ariza, Houston, 3 (1); Andre Iguodala, Philadelphia, 2; George Hill, San Antonio, 2 (1); Jermaine ONeal, Miami, 2 (1); Joe Johnson, Atlanta, 2 (1); Lamar Odom, L.A. Lakers, 2 (1); Luis Scola, Houston, 2; Manu Ginobili, San Antonio, 2 (1); Nicolas Batum, Portland, 2; Caron Butler, Dallas, 1; Chauncey Billups, Denver, 1; Jared Dudley, Phoenix, 1; Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City, 1; Raymond Felton, Charlotte, 1; Marc Gasol, Memphis, 1; Pau Gasol, L.A. Lakers, 1; Chuck Hayes, Houston, 1; Brendan Haywood, Dallas, 1; Al Horford, Atlanta, 1; Serge Ibaka, Oklahoma City, 1; Ersan Ilyasova, Milwaukee, 1; Stephen Jackson, Charlotte, 1; Nene, Denver, 1; Chris Paul, New Orleans, 1; Tayshaun Prince, Detroit, 1; Earl Watson, Indiana, 1.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 05-06-2010 at 09:21 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Dutch Pacers Fan

Default Re: What do you think about the All defensive 1st and 2nd teams

Somebody gave George Hill a first team vote???
    yay, we're going back to the play-offs!

For my money, Kendricks Perkins is a strong candidate to replace Duncan on the second team. Perkins does all the little things defensively that don't show up in the stats, so I doubt it ever happens.

Bogut getting votes is comical to me, I think he's actually below average one on one, defensively.

Lastly, Battier is always someone I'd put on the list. He might be in the decline in this category, but for me, he's an selfless team and individual defender.

On a side note, I'd love to B Rush on this list of also getting votes, next year.

Yeah, I think Perkins is the best low post one-on-one player in the NBA. He's not the help defender of Duncan, Howard, or Garnett. If the Celtics get past the Cavs and play the Magic, he defend Howard better than anyone else can one-on-one and that is one very big reason why the Celtics give the Magic so much trouble.

Yeah Battier should be higher on the list, I know last year I thought he was the best in the NBA at defending Kobe.

Kinda surprised to see Wade on the 2nd team. I don't think of him
    as a guy who puts a big emphasis on D or expends a lot of energy
    on that end of the floor.

But, given how little I saw of the Heat this year, that's strictly
    a superficial, at-first-glance reaction.

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What is this, Fun Question Friday?

Grant Hill on a team like Phoenix getting 4 votes (with 2 being first team) is impressive.

It is sad to see KG down as far on the list as he ended up, but he is nearing the end.

I want to see both Brandon and Roy get votes on this list next year despite playing under O'B (unlikely, but I can dream can't I?), and hopefully Earl gets time on whatever team he ends up with, and hopefully that team plays defense so he can get even more votes.

What, no Troy "Matador" Murphy?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can't believe Watson got a vote. Not taking anything away from him at all, but typically a team as bad as we are defensively, won't get any votes whatsoever. Look at some of the teams that preach defense as a priority. Dallas, Boston, OKC, Cleveland, LA, Denver's role players, Houston, Atlanta, San Antonio and Milwaukee. Those teams are pretty much defense-first from a basketball philosophy standpoint. Notice how most of those teams are playoff teams as well... [cough... JOB... cough]. Denver is the only team that tends to play at an increased pace and it is their role players that provide their defensive prowess anyway.

I am surprised by how many votes Jason Kidd got. He is good defensively, but he has slowed down a lot and seemed to not be able to keep up with most of the quicker PG's. I am not surprised because he has always been a good defender, but more by the amount of votes he was still getting. I can't believe that Brendan Haywood only got one vote. That Dallas team was so much better defensively once he arrived, IMO.

I think the All-Defense team is my favorite of the "awards" or "recognitions" given out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillman's 'Fro' View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kinda surprised to see Wade on the 2nd team. I don't think of him
    as a guy who puts a big emphasis on D or expends a lot of energy
    on that end of the floor.

But, given how little I saw of the Heat this year, that's strictly
    a superficial, at-first-glance reaction.
    I think you have it correct. Wade if he could concentrate on putting more energy into his defense could be one of the very best in the league for sure. But he has to play so many minutes and do everything offensively for the Heat, he has to save some energy. But late in games and on crucial possessions Wade is excellent defensively, it is just he isn't great on every play.

Mood

I like seeing some new guys on this list. Mbah a Moute, Sefolosha, Afflalo, Perkins, Noah, and Marc Gasol.

I'm happy for you and I'mo letchu finish. But Shane Battier is one of the greatest defensive players of all time. Of all time!!

m
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    I'm happy for you and I'mo letchu finish. But Shane Battier is one of the greatest defensive players of all time. Of all time!!

m
    Cassius?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    Cassius?
    I forget who said it. Some rapper at an awards ceremony a few months ago who leaped onto the stage and grabbed the microphone away from the winner of an award because he thought Beyonce should have won instead.

Anyway, awards like these are always so subjective. Anyone's opinion is as good as anyone else's.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    I forget who said it. Some rapper at an awards ceremony a few months ago who leaped onto the stage and grabbed the microphone away from the winner of an award because he thought Beyonce should have won instead.

Anyway, awards like these are always so subjective. Anyone's opinion is as good as anyone else's.
    That guy was Kanye West

By the way not one vote for our defensive stopper? ............what?(green)
    Last edited by vnzla81; 05-06-2010 at 10:35 AM.

Am I correct that this is the only award that the coaches vote on? Do the vote on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd all NBA teams also? Or is that media

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Am I correct that this is the only award that the coaches vote on? Do the vote on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd all NBA teams also? Or is that media
    Yeah, I think you're right. The coaches vote here.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

2009-10 NBA All-Defenseless Team
    The voting panel consisted of the NBA's 30 head coaches, posters from Pacer Digest, and anyone who has watched a basketball game involving the Indiana Pacers in the last 3 years. They were asked to select NBA All-Defenseless First and Second Teams by position, with consideration to both small-ball and conventional lineup's. Coaches were not permitted to vote for players from their own team, because that would be irrelevant.

First Team
    Center Troy Murphy, Indiana 85 1 0
    Guard Mike Dunleavy, Indiana 85 1 0
    Forward Troy Murphy, Indiana 85 1 0
    Guard TJ Ford, Indiana 85 1 0
    Forward Mike Dunleavy, Indiana 85 1 0

Second Team
    Center Mike Dunleavy, Indaina 1 85 0
    Guard Troy Murphy, Indiana 1 85 0
    Forward TJ Ford, Indaina 1 85 0
    Forward Josh McRoberts, Indiana 1 86 0
    Guard Danny Granger, Indiana 0 86 0

Coach
    Jim O'Brien

Other players receiving votes:
    E.Watson, AJ Price, B.Rush, L.Head, S.Jones, D.Jones, J.Foster, R.Hillert, T.Hansbrough, T.Deiner, J.Tinsley, S.Williams, J.White.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

Josh Smith finished 2nd in defensive player of the year voting but apparently LeBron's lock down defense made him to fall to the 2nd team. Stupid list.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    On a side note, I'd love to B Rush on this list of also getting votes, next year.
    If our bone head front office has it their way we wont have Rush next season...........
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedConfusion View Post
    Josh Smith finished 2nd in defensive player of the year voting but apparently LeBron's lock down defense made him to fall to the 2nd team. Stupid list.
    easy enough explanation. dpoy is voted on by the media, the all-defensive team is voted on by the coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Bogut getting votes is comical to me, I think he's actually below average one on one, defensively.
    really? bucks fans consider him their best defender. his shotblocking stats are good too: 2nd in the league, behind dwight howard and ahead of josh smith.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    If our bone head front office has it their way we wont have Rush next season...........
    And at that point he would make this list. If he was playing under Larry Brown in Charlotte, assuming they played him, he would be a vote getter IMO.

As for the Josh Smith argument, I think he is clearly a first team defensive player. But nobody will take LeBron off the list for him. You can't say that LeBron isn't deserving though. Even though I have a severe case of disdain for him.