Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I wish we would trade Ron Artest.

Default I wish we would trade Ron Artest.

If the Pacers would trade Ron they would slip back into the middle of the NBA pack and I wouldn't have to spend the rest of my middle age reading Pacer forums and watching Pacer games.

Why even consider doing something as dumb as trading Ron. He is the gear that makes the engine run well. Take him out of the picture and the engine will stop.

Bottom line. Keep him if you want to win.

Default Re: I wish we would trade Ron Artest.

And here I was ready to make an angry response.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And here I was ready to make an angry response.
    Yeah. I just don't know where the logic in trading one of the hardest working, dedicated to the game, players in the whole league comes from.

Burt_Reincarnated

Honest Response: I think it bothers alot of fans to see a black man have an attitude. I also think alot of fans want to see Larry Birds vision of more white superstars a reality in Indiana. Switch skin colors with Ron and all of a sudden Ron's got spirit and is the greatest player ever.

I'm with ya though, It would be hard to be into the team as much if Larry Bird destroys this team by gettin rid of Ron.

Burt, I doubt that's the motive of anyone on this forum.

And some of you like to say "destroy the team" by trading Ron.

a) who says Ron isn't partially doing that himself behind the scenes (and seeing as how this would be the only reason to trade him, if we do ship him that's why)

and

b) We're not giving him away. We get a talented player BACK. Team destruction averted.

I find it very odd that a lot of people here don't seem to want to acknowledge the fact that Donnie and Larry wouldn't trade Ron if it wasn't with good reason. He's a stellar player with an incredible contract. Gee, couldn't be that there was something else going on there, could it?

We need to trade Ron while his value is high. I think we've been covering up some of the "behind the scenes" stuff to keep his trade value high. Plus, I think he just had the best offensive season he will have his whole career, we need to trade him while we can still get a very talented all-star in return (Marion, Jefferson, etc).

I like Ron's D, but I can't stand to watch him with the ball in his hands. His form of offense is trying run the other guy over, and he's not all that great at it.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I don't want Jefferson! Let me make that VERY clear, so here goes again .... I DO NOT WANT RICHARD JEFFERSON PLAYING FOR THE INDIANA PACERS!!!

Marion or Pierce I could both live with, although each of the two would severely limit our financial flexibility and we would have to include another player to make it work, probably at center which doesn't improve the position that we would want improved (or atleast most of us, I'm guessing here, want) but no Allen, Iverson, Carter, Dampier OR Jefferson for me

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

I really doubt there is as much "behind the scenes" stuff as some make it out to be. With all the media all over the place these days I can't see how we would know so little. What exactly do you guys think he is doing behind the scenes that is so destructive?

Quote Originally Posted by Burt_Reincarnated
    Honest Response: I think it bothers alot of fans to see a black man have an attitude. I also think alot of fans want to see Larry Birds vision of more white superstars a reality in Indiana. Switch skin colors with Ron and all of a sudden Ron's got spirit and is the greatest player ever.

I'm with ya though, It would be hard to be into the team as much if Larry Bird destroys this team by gettin rid of Ron.

Naw, some of us just have REAL mixed feelings about him because he's a nut case, or at least a semi-nut.
    THAT is the only sticking point for ME with this obviously extremely talented basketball player.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ron might be the best all-around one-on-one player in the game today. I don't dispute that, and I'm one of his loudest distractors on here.

But he continues to display *NO CLUE* when it comes to the team game we know as basketball.

That's all.

Burt,

EDIT - Nevermind, Your post isn't worth commenting on. Other than to say its disappointing that you think that of your fellow Pacers fans.
    [edit=72=1090708574][/edit]
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

And I stand by every word I said.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    But he continues to display *NO CLUE* when it comes to the team game we know as basketball.
    But he wants to win, and he's a reasonably intelligent guy, and he's willing to work hard. I really believe he'll figure it out.

It wasn't long ago that Jermaine wasn't exactly great at being part of a team. Ron doesn't have to be perfect to prove himself to me. He just has to keep improving.

Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Jermaine was never even close to the problem Ron can be. Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Jermaine was never even close to the problem Ron can be. Not even close.
    Didn't say he was. But in terms of knowing when to pass the ball, how to pass the ball, when to force the shot, he's come a long way. Those are all things he didn't know when he came here, and they're things he knows now.

I probably shouldn't have mentioned Jermaine, because that diverts attention from what's supposed to be my point:

Ron Artest has improved offensively, defensively, mentally, emotionally, and behaviorally every year he's been here. As long as that continues, I don't want to see him moved.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Burt_Reincarnated

Larry Bird was never the off court, lockerroom distraction Ron is supposed to be. It has nothing to do with skin color... it has everything to do with maturity.

-Bball

Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Well maturing comes over time, in essence that is what it means, but I am hopping on two thoughts here, I don't want to lose Ron, that's for sure, I have another thought on the "distraction"/"pain" he is to the Front office so as long as his teammates like him on the floor,: Nay trde him. If they don't, talk it out and trade only as a last resort against the highest possible value, screw the position, you can always make another trade to get what you wanted in the first place.

Having said that, I think I should explain that "off court" distractions don't count for me as long as they don't ruin the team, I don't care much for the fact that several people have to take care of Ron behind the scenes, after all his contract is a steal (had he been a FA this off-season he would've commanded something very near to the max) so spending something on a full staff of babysitters can well be afforded, if that woudl cost a million a year he woudl still be a cheap player, plus indeed maturation happens over time.

IMO are those that agree with "off court problems" being a reason for a trade softening the blow to themselves if Ron is to be traded, something I understand, but that doesn't mean I agree to it.

I hate fooling myself, Ron leaving this team would be a serious setback, even with a player like Marion or Pierce in return, which won't happen to begin with.

Al being gone could well be another step for Ron in the right direction, let's face it, Al's comments made it clear that he was a seriious disctraction on this team with his desire of being the man, Ron has no such desires, he just wants to win, anything that distracts from that gets him upset, understandable (bt not good, so work on it).

I just hope we keep him, because I have a feeling he will mature, and will be an All Star for many years to come, he WILL mature, if someone else reaps those reward it would definitely not be counted as a smart move of moving him.

For examples: see Rasheed, see Rodman (yes crazy as a door, but one heck of a reboudner and fighter on defense, lots of teams wanted to take risks with, only the Bulls/Jackson were able to deal with him, but hey, if you can, you have a giant on your team)

Ron needs someone special in his bball life that makes him want to behave, a rolemodel, and a lot of support and protection against his family

[member of the keep Ronin Ndy support team]
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would venture to say that most pf you have NO IDEA how stressful it is to deal with somebody who is truelly unstable mentally. If, as has been talked about, RA has a problem that is helped by medication, then as long as he takes it I'm all for him. But his behavior toward the end of the season looked to me like he'd gone off med. That is one probelm with the condition/treatment, many get to feeling better and think they have it whipped. They want to be normal so they convince themselves they don't need the meds and they stop taking them. Otheres feel the meds make them feel lethargic and take the edge off, so they too stop taking them.
    The people around these types are constantly on edge because of never knowing how the person might react to any given situation (I'm speaking of the person pre-medication here). And when I say on edge I can relate personally that I once lost 10 lbs in a week while dealing with a bi-polar/paranoid schizo. Every inch of me was tingling like an electrical charge was going thru me. Every waking moment that week was nerve wracking...and there was no sleep.
    So if there are issues (and I'm not saying there are...but if there are) then I can fully understand the NEED to remove the person, for the team's own well being.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    But his behavior toward the end of the season looked to me like he'd gone off med.
    Ron was off his meds all year. It wasn't just the end of the season. And I didn't see anything in his behavior in the first two rounds that made me think "That guy's just lost it."

I don't think he's mentally unstable any more than a lot of the people that have had unusual drives throughout history. I mean, if we dopes people throughout history the way we dope people now, we'd have lost half of our geniuses. Schizophrenia isn't what I'm talking about, there's a valid reason for medication there. But forcing meds to make people less tense/depressed/excited/hyper/whatever frustrates me for two reasons: (1) people don't have to take responsibility for their actions (it's not my fault I'm angry, I haven't had my meds), and (2) it' seems to be the preferred technique for a culture that values uniformity over individualism.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    But he wants to win, and he's a reasonably intelligent guy, and he's willing to work hard. I really believe he'll figure it out.

It wasn't long ago that Jermaine wasn't exactly great at being part of a team. Ron doesn't have to be perfect to prove himself to me. He just has to keep improving.

There you go. There was a time when I was willing to trade Jermaine IF he didn't do some growing up, as good as it appeared he could be. The constant whining to the refs, the frequent acting like he wanted to fight people when it was obvious he wanted no part of other big guys, etc
    What an INCREDIBLE job of maturing he's done, to where he's one of the class acts in the whole league.
    Now that they've made there move and traded Al, I don't think there's a chance in hell they even consider moving Ron Artest. I have been on the side of IF he was a major distraction off the court, that maybe they should move him. But I think the trade of AL, and the lack of apparent attempts by the Pacers to trade him, means they find the situation livable. That works for me.
    He's got to continue improving his anger control and learning to stay within the team concept. He made great strides this year, I expect he can continue that.
    We all hope........

You make a decent comparison, guys, when you remind us that JO had problems too, but the thing is this is different. And it's different, because JO was simply immature. Ron has immaturity problems, but also literally mental health issues. The latter is what will likely keep him from ever "getting it".

With that said it's all moot to me, everything I'm hearing from my sources (may sound corny, but believe what you wish) is that Ron is gone. Quite possibly before the season starts.

You make a decent comparison, guys, when you remind us that JO had problems too, but the thing is this is different. And it's different, because JO was simply immature. Ron has immaturity problems, but also literally mental health issues. The latter is what will likely keep him from ever "getting it".
    Everybody has "mental health issues." Most "mental health issues" can be worked through. Immaturity is one of the top "mental health issues."

With that said it's all moot to me, everything I'm hearing from my sources (may sound corny, but believe what you wish) is that Ron is gone. Quite possibly before the season starts.
    Yeah, I heard bulletproof say that too. I'll believe it when I see it. They're not going to give him away, and I can't see any equitable trades out there. Doesn't leave a whole lot of options.

EDIT: And I'll say it a third time in this thread, because I've yet to see it recognized and I don't think it can be disputed. Ron Artest has made huge strides every year. Until he stops making those strides, it would be foolish to move him. Does anyone disagree with this statement? If so, I want to hear a good reason.
    [edit=39=1090785158][/edit]

Enjoy your time at PD!

Everybody has "mental health issues." Most "mental health issues" can be worked through. Immaturity is one of the top "mental health issues."
    No, this is more serious "mental issues". Atypical.

Okay, Hicks and Bulletproof seem to be pretty confident Ron will be traded. Do either of you guys have any thoughts on where he will end up? I keep hearing he will be traded, by at least the trade deadline, but both of you seem to be keeping quiet about where you think he will go.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?