Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roy Williams talks about Tyler Hansbrough's health

Default Roy Williams talks about Tyler Hansbrough's health

While I'm slightly encouraged by this, the cynics will assume he's getting this from the Pacers' press release, I care to guess.

http://www.tarheelfanblog.com/2010/0...tar-heel-tour/

Roy on Tar Heel Tour
    Tar Heel Fan on April 29th, 2010 | One comment
    Roy Williams was in Charlotte last night on the Tar Heel Tour where he answered questions from fans about the program. A poster at Inside Carolina did a summary of Roy’s answers. I will post them as is and you can pick through them.
    Question about #50…..Talked to Tyler last night, Tyler called him all excited about seeing Roy fist pump at the poet’s airball Monday night at the JordanCats game….told Roy he was his hero. Roy explained that Tyler really had a tough time with the vertigo/concussion, even had a really tough time concentrating, knowing where he was during the second half of the season, couldn’t practice, etc. Tyler did not dunk that ball at the 100th celebration because he was afraid he was going to fall down. Tyler now has a good report and is expected to be released from his treatment in July and should be ready for the preseason.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Roy Williams talks about Tyler Hansbrough's health

Does anyone familiar with this know the rate of recurrence? Is it something he can be healed from, or is it something he'll always have?

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone familiar with this know the rate of recurrence? Is it something he can be healed from, or is it something he'll always have?
    Part 1. High if you participate in events that put you at risk, say something along the lines of professional basketball.

Part 2. He will heal but will always be more prone to it occuring than someone who has not had a one before.

Also as the to the original post by Hicks.

This actually sounds worse than I even thought it was. If he was having periods of not knowing where he was at then this is beyond dizzyness.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

PCS as believed, with vertigo as a symptom rather than the problem. Or so I would assume. A little scary.

Even if he recovers, how long before he feels safe? Gotta think he'll continue to have concerns for awhile, at least until he gets some mileage in.

Hopefully it will be like TJ Ford's (knock on wood; so far, so good) situation since he arrived in Indy. Remember when he was seemingly "dead man dribbling" after his second scare with his neck/spine? I know when we got him in '08 I was worried about that every time I saw him with a breakaway, fearing disaster if a defender caught up with him.

The risk is still there, but the past two years should serve as a reminder that even the scary stuff that's never completely gone (in that your risk of problems is higher) isn't necessarily a career death sentence.

Banned

I really dont think Tyler is the type of person / player to let something like this change the way he plays the game. I mean he went out and tried to play with it even.

Guys like Tyler only know how to play the game one way.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho T View Post
    I really dont think Tyler is the type of person / player to let something like this change the way he plays the game. I mean he went out and tried to play with it even.

Guys like Tyler only know how to play the game one way.
    That is not particularly comforting, for a couple of reasons.

This makes me hopeful, actually. It doesn't surprise me that Tyler was in a bad way during the season... the entire Pacers organization was spooked by the situation. I don't have an inside track, but you could tell by the way they talked (or didn't) about what was going on.

If Tyler told his coach he'd be back in July, that sounds like good news.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I feel better about it too, though at the same time, short term memory loss is very serious. What happens if he gets hit again (which he will)?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I feel better about it too, though at the same time, short term memory loss is very serious. What happens if he gets hit again (which he will)?
    Even players that have had a prior concussion would need to be hit pretty hard for anything to flair up. If football players in the same situation can get by then I think he will be ok since its a rare thing to be clobbered.

I just hope he can recover, because I think he can be a really special player in the NBA. Not special as in Lebron james special, but special because of the way he plays, he'll be a crowd favorite and a winning player.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

I would like to know where the medical staff was at the pre draft evaluations. They were able to say that Blair would be a medical risk, but if Tyler had this in college where were the medical reports?

This is really concerning to me because it was diagnosed prior to being drafted yet was either overlooked or looked the other way

I really hope this kid makes it because people have been hating on him most of his career, when all he seems to be is a good teament, productive and a winner.

I put this soley on our medical staff
    Sittin on top of the world!

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    I would like to know where the medical staff was at the pre draft evaluations. They were able to say that Blair would be a medical risk, but if Tyler had this in college where were the medical reports?

This is really concerning to me because it was diagnosed prior to being drafted yet was either overlooked or looked the other way

I really hope this kid makes it because people have been hating on him most of his career, when all he seems to be is a good teament, productive and a winner.

I put this soley on our medical staff
    A poster came on here with a rumor that Tyler had a pre-existing condition that was hidden from the team and that the team was "furious" to only discover that he had a pre-existing condition after he went down mid-season. The report suggested that they were not furious at the medical staff, they were furious at Tyler's handlers for hiding the truth before the draft.

EDIT - tried to find it, but it's buried somewhere within the 100 or so "Ear infection" and "dizziness" threads.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

That kind of hearsay and rumor is pretty useless and potentially harmful, imho.

Useless, OK. Maybe. But harmful? I don't know. Can you explain who will see harm from that?

The insider rumors/rumblings are one of the reasons people come here.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    A poster came on here with a rumor that Tyler had a pre-existing condition that was hidden from the team and that the team was "furious" to only discover that he had a pre-existing condition after he went down mid-season. The report suggested that they were not furious at the medical staff, they were furious at Tyler's handlers for hiding the truth before the draft.

EDIT - tried to find it, but it's buried somewhere within the 100 or so "Ear infection" and "dizziness" threads.
    Yea I remember that as well. Actually this isn't even the first place I read that.

Speculation/rumor was that the N.C. Doctors did not disclose the PCS diagnosis to the team. Theory that I have read was that due to PCS being a controversial diagnosis that since it was not concrete they did not feel compelled to share in something that might be there.

Probably dirty pool if ture, however probably not enough for the team to do anything with either to Tylers contract or the College. (not that they would anyway because of the very negative p.r. hit it would cause them)

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Banned

Useless, OK. Maybe. But harmful? I don't know. Can you explain who will see harm from that?

Maybe because it could be used to attack Hansbroughs character.

I would be more likely to believe that Price was the one with the undisclosed injury considering his past. But I do not believe either.

You dont go 20 and 8 the prior year and play up until the infection or in the case of Price show NBA quickness.

The usual BS. Just as bad as the " Hansbrough has a brain tumor because someone in a grocery line said so ".

It makes the player and school look like liars and frauds.

This is the only place I've heard that, which I imagine would be a pretty big story. If you guys have more info, or links, I'd be interested in seeing them.

Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    It makes the player and school look like liars and frauds.

This is the only place I've heard that, which I imagine would be a pretty big story. If you guys have more info, or links, I'd be interested in seeing them.

You're probably not going to get those links but behind the scenes it's one of those things where some trusted sources have seemed to confirm what LA's remembered poster originally said.

Does that mean you should believe it at all costs? No....
    But it does mean you shouldn't disregard it either and should at least prepare yourself for the possibility that Tyler will have a short NBA career because of this.

It has enough legs that nobody should be blindsided by a recurrence, major absences next season, or an early retirement sometime in the next couple of seasons.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would be more likely to believe that Price was the one with the undisclosed injury considering his past. But I do not believe either.

You dont go 20 and 8 the prior year and play up until the infection or in the case of Price show NBA quickness.

The usual BS. Just as bad as the " Hansbrough has a brain tumor because someone in a grocery line said so ".
    Speaking of BS - I was the one who said that, and was very clear on the fact that it probably wasn't true. I said the source wasn't anything near reliable, but claimed to have someone near the situation that said that.

No need to go out and make it look like I was spreading this rumor around. I said like 3 times that I didn't even believe it was real and that it was just something to add to the conversation.

One of the reasons why Price dropped as much as he did was because there was a medical report issued during the NBA combine that AJ still had aneuryisms. (Also rumored was that Blair had arthritis in his knees and that..someone else, I forget his name but he's from Miss and is on memphis now I believe, would need a liver transplant shortly..all scary problems..and all untrue..and every one of those players dropped because of it, so I can imagine why if there WAS something wrong, players and schools would keep it to themselves) Not to mention, The Pacers organization had no idea what was wrong with Tyler until recently, and if they had no idea then..if a problem was hidden, it didn't have anything to do with PCS or ear infection, because we just got that diagnosis recently.

As for brain tumor and this rumor about a hidden medical problem. Honestly, I think the known medical problem is unlikely. As you said...he would have missed some time in college, I would imagine. Concern for a brain tumor on the other hand..I wouldn't be suprised if there was some concern there. No one knew what was wrong, except obviously something with his brain, so I wouldn't be suprised if there was some concern there. Especially since when AJ had his brain issue, no one could figure out what the problem was until Calhoun sent him to who he thought was the best neuro hospital, which happened to be in Boston. (And no one could figure out what was wrong with AJ until he went to that hospital) ...and funny enough, Tyler went to a hospital in Boston trying to figure out what was wrong with him. So my guess is, the Pacers organization had no idea what was wrong, and they were very afraid that it was serious.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Part 1. High if you participate in events that put you at risk, say something along the lines of professional basketball.

Curious where you got this?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    That is not particularly comforting, for a couple of reasons.
    No, it is particularly comforting, for a couple of reasons.

Banned

It helps perpetuate the inane ramblings that go on here speculating about the specifics of some players health that none of us know personally.

I very much appreciate that all rumors should be taken with a grain of salt. I don't know for sure if that has legs myself.

But the claims of possible harm seem completely negligible to me. Heaven forbid someone get their feelings hurt. Or be held to a standard that they give 100% accurate and complete medical reports from this day forward.

Oh, the horror.