Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 70

Thread: Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Exclamation Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

    Michael Beasley, Miami Heat face uncertain future down 3-0 to Boston Celtics - ESPN

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Sheridan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    MIAMI -- As you watch the replay of Paul Pierce's game-winner, take note of who was on the floor defending.

    There was Dorell Wright, who was the isolation defender on Pierce and did not have an opportunity to use the foul that the Heat had to give, and the other four bodies were Michael Beasley, Quentin Richardson, Udonis Haslem and Mario Chalmers.

    This is noteworthy for one major reason: There is a fairly strong chance that not a single one of those finishing five will be back with the Heat next fall when this soon-to-be-over series will be a distant, distasteful memory.

    Yes, even Beasley -- the second overall pick of the 2008 draft.

    What you may have missed on the eve of this series was Heat president Pat Riley's comment that he seeks to build a dynasty this summer, when Miami will have somewhere in the area of $24 million, as things stand now, to spend in free agency.

    And as well as Dwyane Wade's supporting cast played Friday night in a gut-wrenching 100-98 loss to the Boston Celtics in Game 3 of their first-round series, it remains a supporting cast too anemic to be part of what Riley has planned for the future. Richardson, Wright and Haslem are on expiring contracts, and Chalmers' contract has a team option.

    The expiring $23 million contract belonging to Jermaine O'Neal (who was benched for the final 17 minutes) also will come off Miami's cap, as will the contracts of Carlos Arroyo, James Jones, Yakhouba Diawara and Jamaal Magloire. (Joel Anthony has an $885,000 player option, and Daequan Cook is under contract for $2.1 million.)

    So not only does Riley want to bring back Wade after he opts out of his contract prior to July 1, but Riley wants to bring in two superstuds to play alongside the superstar who sweated his way through two uniform jerseys while scoring 34 points on 14-for-26 shooting before sitting out the final 11.7 seconds with an injury to a left calf that had been cramping up on him throughout the fourth quarter.

    But even if Riley is able to land one extremely heavy hitter in free agency (that list begins with LeBron James and continues with Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudemire and Carlos Boozer), he isn't going to have enough room to get that second stud if he still has Beasley on the roster making $4.96 million.

    And sources have told ESPN.com that Miami, fed up with Beasley's lack of devotion to defense and his steep learning curve in the maturity department, tried diligently to move Beasley before the trading deadline in February but found no takers willing to give up anything more than garbage.

    So if Beasley can be moved before the draft for a player with only a partial guarantee for 2010-11, or if the Heat can arrange an uneven deal (in terms of salaries) and send him to an under-the-cap team in a trade that would be consummated after the league's one-week moratorium on player movement ends July 8, look for Riley to go for it.

    Because despite Beasley's brief burst of offense -- four of his seven field goals came in a stretch of the first four minutes of the fourth quarter to help Miami battle back right when it appeared Boston was poised to pull away -- his body of work in this series, 11.7 points and 7.0 rebounds per game, and his two years of incidents and inconsistency have made him expendable.

    Yes, it would be difficult to tacitly admit Beasley was a mistake at No. 2, but major mistakes have been made there before (the name Darko comes to mind).
    And yes, Riley is prideful.

    But not so much so that he'd let a bad decision from 2008 get in the way of what he wants to build for 2011, 2012 and 2013. (There are some in the Heat organization who believe Riley will offer Wade and two other players the option of signing four-year contracts with opt-out clauses after three years).

    "That's a tough question. It may be true, it may not," Beasley said beforehand when asked if he realized his future in Miami could be determined by this series.
    "It could be. You are most definitely right. Will it be? Who knows? I haven't heard anything regarding this summer."

    For those who may have forgotten, Beasley was the consolation prize in the draft that landed Derrick Rose in Chicago after the Bulls won the lottery. Riley was active in trying to move the No. 2 pick two Junes ago but ended up using it, and Beasley has been more of a headache that a help in the two seasons since.

    "I'm a little smarter, I understand the game a little better, but I'm still the same guy," said Beasley, who insists his maturity level and his commitment to basketball have both improved since the birth 11 months ago of his daughter, Mikaiya. "I love my daughter to death, and the things I do reflect on me. I don't want her to be 5 years old and hear [her] daddy had a DUI. Everything I do, everything, I think about how it's going to affect her and what she's going to think when she's old enough to understand."

    But it was during those 11 months that Beasley checked himself into a Houston rehabilitation facility, reportedly for substance abuse and psychological issues, after posting a series of curious messages on his Twitter account that led some to fear for his mental health.

    The regular season passed without any further brushes with the bizarre, but the playoffs began with Beasley being abused first by Kevin Garnett in Game 1 and then by Glen Davis in Game 2.

    The Celtics did not exploit him as much in Game 3, but there were several crucial possessions -- Pierce's third of his four 3-pointers came when Beasley failed to cover the shooter in the corner -- that helped make it possible for the game to come down to one final possession and Pierce's final shot.

    All that's left for now is Sunday's Game 4, and if Miami gets swept, it could be bye-bye Beasley. Because when Riley talks of building a dynasty, Beasley's salary and Beasley's baggage might only get in the way of Riley's ultimate plan.

  2. #2
    '12 PD Sunshiner awardee Kemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A-Town , Indiana
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,976

    Default Re: Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

    I WISH we could unload TJ or Murphy for Beasley ..

    A trade getting rid of one of those 2 would be absolutely worth taking a chance on seeing if Beasley would pan out or not ..

    That is , as long as we wouldn't have to give up ANY of our core young guys I like .. lol







    .
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

    Neither helps Miami this offseason. I also don't think we'd be interested in a pot smoking, no-defense-playing headcase like Beasley.

  4. #4
    Member Blizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    107

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I WISH we could unload TJ or Murphy for Beasley ..
    Really? I would rather keeping Troy and live with his below average defense. In fact, I may be even able to stand by seeing TJ as our starting PG than having to see Beasley with the Pacers uniform. He is not talent and promising enough for his problems.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I WISH we could unload TJ or Murphy for Beasley ..
    And sources have told ESPN.com that Miami, fed up with Beasley's lack of devotion to defense and his steep learning curve in the maturity department, tried diligently to move Beasley before the trading deadline in February but found no takers willing to give up anything more than garbage.
    Really ??

    When we all know that the Pacers need defensive help and that they're trying to build a team WITHOUT character issues ??

    Really ??

  6. #6
    Member InYaFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Görmany
    Posts
    484

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

    Beasly? The only positive seems to be his young age, which would fit with the Pacers, but not his attitude and lack of defense.
    But in the article they talk about 4 other players, standing on the floor in the last seconds.
    I like the names Udonis Haslem (good backup, but I know...the Pacers have a lot of backups and need starters^^) and Mario Chalmers, who is a young PG!
    If they don't pick up his option, is there any way for the Pacers they could get him? He seems pretty cheap and I think he could become a good PG and he also could become a better player than Beasly in the league.
    So I don't watch enough Heat games to know if Chalmers is great, but I just want to ask you, what do you think about him joining the Pacers?

  7. #7
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,756

    Default Re: Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

    I do not want him on the Pacers under any circumstances

  8. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  9. #8
    Member InYaFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Görmany
    Posts
    484

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

    Do you mean Beasly or Chalmers Mr. Buck?

  10. #9
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,756

    Default Re: Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

    Quote Originally Posted by InYaFace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you mean Beasly or Chalmers Mr. Buck?
    Beas

  11. #10
    Member Erik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    727

    Default Re: Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beas
    "Super Cool Beas"

  12. #11
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

    Yeah, at this point I'd give up more for Chalmer than for Beasley.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  13. #12

    Default Re: Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, at this point I'd give up more for Chalmer than for Beasley.

    The problem with Chalmers being a Pacer is, he can play "D"! We know how Jimmy feels about players who can play "D".

  14. #13
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,555
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

    The most important part of this article is that Miami will be firing the earliest salvo in the bidding war for free agents who are impact players this summer, not next. That, coupled with teams looking to dump salary for summer 2011 puts Miami in the driver's seat for shaping its future, and that of any franchise that makes a major deal with it.

    I suspect that Beasley is going to need to plan on announcing his retirement from the game. He has "Shawn Kemp" written all over him. Other than a one year rental for a team who is not a contender who has not already had their franchise fall apart from similar influences, he is basically useless and doesn't have a place in the NBA.

    As a cheap signing for us, though, bring back James Jones, unless he has had more of an injury problem than I might be aware of. He is a better version of Luther Head who is a better 3 point shooter and works well under pressure. He is also a known commodity here who never should have been allowed to walk IMO.

  15. #14
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,231

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

    Forget Beasley; I want Chalmers.

  16. #15

    Default Re: Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

    He's lazy, immature and hates playing defense?

    The threads next year would be fun.

  17. #16

    Default Re: Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Forget Beasley; I want Chalmers.

    I'd like to have him too, but then I wanted him 2 years ago.

  18. #17

    Default Re: Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

    As a Pacers fan in South Florida, I can tell you Michael (Be Easy) Beasley is a joke. He thinks he is better than he his, he shoots about 97% of the time he has his hands on the ball, and would just generally P*ss off the entire city of Indianapolis. They don't even care about professional sports in South Florida, and they manage to hate this guy. That says a lot.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Wanna be GM For This Useful Post:


  20. #18

    Default Re: Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    As a cheap signing for us, though, bring back James Jones, unless he has had more of an injury problem than I might be aware of. He is a better version of Luther Head who is a better 3 point shooter and works well under pressure. He is also a known commodity here who never should have been allowed to walk IMO.

    PASS

    The Pacers don't need another 3 pt shooting specialist who can't play "D" for Jimmy. His FGA is 36% for the last 2 years at Miami, and he's shot a higher 3pt% than 2 pt % 2 out of the last 3 years.

    I was in favor of the Pacers letting him go. He was to have been the heir apparent to Reggie when he was drafted in the 2nd round. There was no reason to keep him after drafting Granger with the Pacers over the LT. He got more money by leaving to go out west.

  21. #19

    Default Re: Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

    beasley is going to the clippers to take griffins spot

  22. #20
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,830

    Default Re: Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

    Chalmers is the only one even remotely interesting, but he really disappointed this year. At least he can play D though.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  23. #21
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,150

    Default Re: Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

    I'd rather bring back Stephen Jackson and Jamaal Tinsley. I'd rather keep Troy Murphy and TJ. I would hope and pray that the Pacers moved if they acquired Beasley.

    The percentage is probably negative that the Pacers would acquire "Be Stupid"..."Be Baby"...or whatever his name is.

  24. #22
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,426
    Mood

    Default Re: Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

    I wouldn't touch this kid with a 10 foot pole. I'd like Chalmers though.

  25. #23
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,937

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

    Games like the one he had today are the reason Beasley irritates me to no end. It's not as if he isnt talented. He looks like the most dominant force on the court for 5 minutes and then he totally disappears for the other 43.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  26. #24

    Default Re: Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

    I disagree with most here. I wouldn't be willing to give much value for Beasley (there's a massive risk he won't ever be an above average contributor), but I'd have no problems in taking him for little or nothing.

    Beasley... Two more years under the rookie contract. Inconsistent and lacks mental fortitude. But I'd like to have Michael Beasley in a fourth best player role but alongside two non-prolific scorers so his go-to scoring ability would be maximized. Don't like the idea of him and Ilyasova playing at the same time though.

    (...)

    I think I'd keep Beasley because of contract+talent. If he reaches his potential can be a secondary option for a contender. Mental issues are holding him: he's extremely soft. But can score with both hands, finishes well, can drive both directions, quick first step, solid mid-range pull-up - excellent face-up game. Shying away from contact + poor shot-selection make him an inefficient scorer... and he shouldn't be. Mediocre defender but he's improved leaps and bounds from last season. Has quickness and length to keep improving. Horrible rebounder... mostly due to softness, once again. I'd take Beasley's upside though.
    Beasley will never be an elite player - he's too behind in pretty much every aspect of the game besides scoring. It's not credible he can improve what he'd need to. But a secondary scorer for a good team who isn't a tremendous liability in other aspects of the game (which he is now), he can be.

    Beasley lacks understanding of the game of basketball. "Gimme the ball and get the hell out of my way cause I gonna make this shots and help my team" mentality. Tough to improve, but possible. Worth the risk, IMO. First of all, he needs to have an idea of what a dominant Beasley really looks like - he has it, but it's all wrong.

  27. #25
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,198

    Default Re: Michael Beasley on his way out of Miami?

    I can't believe Miami drafted him. His behavior was a well known problem.
    Let him and Shawne Williams serve as a permanent reminder to the Pacers.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 08:30 PM
  2. Miami Heat F Michael Beasley sidelined for second straight game [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-30-2010, 09:20 PM
  3. Miami Heat forward Michael Beasley has no swelling in knee [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2010, 08:50 PM
  4. Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...
    By Major Cold in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2039
    Last Post: 06-27-2008, 11:43 PM
  5. Game One coverage from the Miami Herald.
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 05:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •