Thread: Report: James wouldn't mind going to Dolphins

Hybrid View

Default Report: James wouldn't mind going to Dolphins

Almost as soon as Ricky Williams was done telling the Dolphins he was retiring after five seasons, Edgerrin James was expressing interest in returning to South Florida to play for the team with a big hole at running back, according to the Miami Herald.

The newspaper reported James ó who is an unrestricted free agent after this season ó told several people he wouldn't mind returning to the place where he grew up and later starred at the University of Miami.

James is also thought not to like living in Indianapolis, where he is about to enter his sixth season as the Colts' running back.

James also reportedly said he would love to be traded. But that isn't likely to happen, especially when you consider the Colts are Super Bowl contenders (in some circles) for the upcoming season.

The Dolphins, however, are eager to turn the page at running back. To that end, coach Dave Wannstedt has said Travis Minor will be the No. 1 running back when the team begins training camp practices Saturday.

What's more, Wannstedt reportedly said he will no longer attempt to coax the 27-year-old Williams out of retirement.

''You just have to move on and get it behind you,'' Wannstedt said.

Williams' retirement saves the team $3.735 against the salary cap. That apparently leaves a little room for the team to possibly sign a tough inside runner like James Stewart.

It might also free up some money to offer contract extensions to defensive end Adewale Ogunleye and wide receiver Chris Chambers.

So I think it is time to TRADE HIM NOW. Get a REALLY good defensive player from them, and either use Dominic Rhodes as a starter, or Mungro or Allen, or get someone else. I think this may not be as bad, but we really do need a GOOD runner to open the play action. Otherwise, we screwed. But it looks as though James will bolt next year if we don't trade him now.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Default Re: Report: James wouldn't mind going to Dolphins

On second thought, (I deleted what I had written here first, ), I don't think we should trade Edgerrin unless he is becoming detrimental to team winning.

This could become a Super Bowl or Bust season, but I don't think so.

But I think it will be good for the Colts. They now know he doesn't want to play for them and won't have to worry about trying to maneuver around his contract next year. They get a heads-up on the off-season.

I forgot about the Tags. Yeah that should work. We win the title this year , slap the tag on Marvin, sign him, slap the tag on Edge, trade him to miami for either picks or a real good defensive player.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've always been a fan of Edge, but he obviously has never really taken a liking to Indianapolis. His desire to return to Florida has never been a secret. The Colts can use all their leverage (tags) to receive the best possible deal from the Dolphins (or any other team) next offseason. I'd be sad to see James go as I think he'll be a very solid running back for years to come in the league. Still, if he wants to move, then let's be advantageous when the time comes.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Well, its not a big deal considering we are going to win the title this year. So next year we can improve our D.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wouldnt mind Edge going to the Dolphins either. We sure could use some of there defensive players preferably Zach Thomas or that end from Indiana Ogunwhatever. We have a more than capable running backs to equal James. Get something now or Get nothing later.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Mood

yeah running backs aren't that hard to find these days. Even if we don't get another rb, we still have rhodes and mungro.

I don't care for Rhodes or Mungro, but I think we can find a decent back out there. I would love to get a good defensive player ...that Ogaleye or whatever sounds nice, but I think our secondary and LB need as much help

Though imagine Freeney and Oguleye...

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

If they can get some good defenders in return then do it. I think the Colts can sign both Marvin and Edge after the season but the question is whether they want to sign them both.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

What about trading him for Jason Taylor? and maybe a first round draft pick to get a solid running back.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg44
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about trading him for Jason Taylor? and maybe a first round draft pick to get a solid running back.
    Heck yeah! Sounds good to me...He's a solid, solid player & plus, he does commercials too!

Ok then.......who would you add into the trade to get the 1st rounder.....our backup QB? I dont know his name because there is no need to......we dont need him

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg44
    Heck yeah! Sounds good to me...He's a solid, solid player & plus, he does commercials too!
    Edge for only Jason Taylor AND a 1st rounder? What a deal for Miami!

Well, it's not out of the realm of possibility. I remember the NO Saints doing something very odd just to get one RB...
    [edit=53=1091030942][/edit]

It may have been a different situation. I never said it was the same though. It was an odd move and so was the Marshall Faulk trade. And if the move our friend here just proposed was to be accomplished, I believe it would be odd as well.

Just found out from a very reliable source you cannot tag two players. It's either the franchise tag OR the transition tag. You could use both before - but not now.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Edge but I lost some respect for him during the Pacers postseason run.When they played Miami Edge was there rooting for the Heat.At least Peyton and Marvin root for the PacersI don't think we should trade him but if the right deal comes then do it.Rhodes aint that bad.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    Just found out from a very reliable source you cannot tag two players. It's either the franchise tag OR the transition tag. You could use both before - but not now.
    Did the rules change for the upcoming season? Because you could always use both previously if need be.
    Mm hm.

The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

From Indy Star colts Q&A....

Question: With Ricky Williams leaving the Miami Dolphins high and dry, what is the probability of Edgerrin James ending up in Miami next year? (Brent from Westville, Ill.)

Answer: Oh, Edge will be in Miami next year. He lives there in the off-season. Seriously, Iíd say itís better than 50-50, providing the Colts donít find a way to re-sign him. But itís not a slam-dunk. If James has a good year in 2004, he will draw attention from several teams in need of an all-around back who is a two-time league rushing champ.

Also, remember James will only be 26 next season. Even though James might prefer to play in Miami next season if he isnít re-signed by the Colts, he isnít likely to turn his back on another team if it offers a much better contract. Money talks.

hey, post #900!