Thread: ABA RETURNS TO INDIANAPOLIS

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default ABA RETURNS TO INDIANAPOLIS

Indianapolis, IN. The American Basketball Association (ABA) www.abalive.com today announced that it will return next season to Indianapolis, IN, the birthplace of the original ABA and the Indiana Pacers. According to Joe Newman, ABA CEO, "This is long overdue. We did have a team in Indianapolis during the first two years of the new ABA and it was one of the most successful teams in terms of attendance. The team had a huge following. Unfortunately, the business model of the league at that time did not justify continuing the operations. With the new ABA business model, if the new owners can duplicate the success of that team, and there is no reason they cannot do that, Indianapolis will again be one of the great ABA cities. We are very excited about the return of the ABA to Indianapolis and are very excited about this ownership group. Talk about experience - they are outstanding in every way."

The ownership group of the Indianapolis Drive will be led by Speedway, Indiana native Tim Hicks, a graduate of Ben Davis High School. Tim is the owner of VIP Management and Talent Agency, a company he founded in 1990 with his first client being NASCAR driver Jeff Gordon. His firm also manages fan clubs for former Indiana Pacer Rik Smits and Indianapolis 500 Mile race winner Al Unser. Tim has worked with Penske Racing, the Indiana Pacers, Indianapolis Ice, Indiana Twister professional soccer, Racing Professionals Indy car racing team and owns GodSpeed Co Marketing, Hicks Management Company, Public Relations Professional and WIN West Indy Network.

"Joe and I have known one another for many years," stated Hicks. "I worked closely with him in the early days of the ABA and the Indiana team. I know the league and what it takes to be successful. The time is right. There is no other professional sports league like the ABA. The history of the league is second to none, and now, with all of the new teams and ease of travel, unique rules, plus ABA Global, I cannot see why we will be anything but very successful."

"Our goal is to load the team with players from Indiana, Purdue, Butler, Ball State, IUPUI, Marian, Indiana State, Manchester, Hanover, Evansville, Notre Dame and other great area schools," continued Hicks. "We will be local, we will be competitive, you can bank on that. And, one other thing, we are not going to charge the city of Indianapolis $15 million dollars a year for the right to see exciting, fun-filled, high scoring professional basketball at affordable prices. Like Tony George at the Indianapolis Speedway, we will not be a burden to the taxpayers." For more information, call 317 294 0909, email vipmanage@aol.com or
    visit www.abalive.com. (Team website will be up shortly).
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...y&newsID=10028

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: ABA RETURNS TO INDIANAPOLIS

Interesting...

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hicks huh? Being a media mogul isn't enough now???
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

100% REAL, 0% OF THE TIME the jaddler's Avatar

is this even possible??? isnt someone still being paid some where because of the disbandment of the orignal aba?????
    I CANT SPELL!

THERE ARE THOSE THAT HAVE AND THOSE THAT WILL!

Mood

So not only will there be (serious?) competition for the Pacers in town, but they are taking a direct shot at the team in the press. Wow.

P.S. - I read this as "ABBA returns to Indianapolis" at first and I was very confused. lol.
    Last edited by gummy; 04-26-2010 at 11:54 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

This is awesome! I went to every single game they had at Butler, The Pepsi Collosum and Arlington H.S. It was always a blast, the NBA even stole some of there rules and inovations to the game. Paul Grant, Ryan Hoover, Jeff Nordguard, Anthony Pelle, and Coleco Buie, I could go on and on but they all rocked! Way better than any Pacers games IMO.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Yeah they won't charge the city $15 million, but they also probably won't last more than 2 years....

Taking shots at the Pacers isn't going to help their cause, IMO.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Mood

Again? What happened to the Legends franchise? lmao

Mood

Horrible logo for the team if it's the final, BTW.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by the jaddler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    is this even possible??? isnt someone still being paid some where because of the disbandment of the orignal aba?????
    I am.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    Yeah they won't charge the city $15 million, but they also probably won't last more than 2 years....

Taking shots at the Pacers isn't going to help their cause, IMO.
    Isn't Joe Newman the same guy that folded this same concept of a league 2 other times before? ....again, what's that definition of insanity?

They may not charge the city $15M, but I wouldn't pay 15 cents to watch that. That is not an indictment on minor league bball because I actually enjoyed D-league games and the CBA before it, but what I seen of the ABA league before was on par with the USBL....
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 04-27-2010 at 04:32 PM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

When they played at Hinkle it was really good basketball, heck Billy keller was the coach. It was at times a little ghetto like when a guy was traded and they didnt have a jersey for them so they would tape up some practice jeresy. But, it was always a blast.

I can remeber when Mike Robinson from Purdue was on the bench eating nachos while he watched his team play. Sure they dont have big names but I think it would be exciting to watch former Indiana H.S. and College players back at it. Just my 2 cents.

Plus Im almost at the point where I wouldn't pay 15 cents to watch the Pacers play.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    They may not charge the city $15M, but I wouldn't pay 15 cents to watch that.
    So what's your point? Obviously the city of Indy feels much the same way about the Pacers right now. In fact, I wouldn't take a free ticket to a Pacer game right now if it was scotch taped to a mug of beer.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    So what's your point? Obviously the city of Indy feels much the same way about the Pacers right now. In fact, I wouldn't take a free ticket to a Pacer game right now if it was scotch taped to a mug of beer.
    TAKE THE TICKET AND DON'T USE IT. YOU'RE PASSING UP BEER.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btowncolt For This Useful Post: